Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: {Pacers.Com} Is deal for #1 pick being discussed ?

Question {Pacers.Com} Is deal for #1 pick being discussed ?

Are Pacers Pursuing Deal For No. 1 Pick?

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

QUESTION
    OF THE DAY
    Conrad Brunner

Q. I've heard rumors that the Pacers are trying to make a deal to obtain the top spot in the draft to select Adam Morrison. Is there any truth to that? And, if it is true, what players do you think would be thrown in to the deal? (Alex in Indianapolis)

A. The weeks leading up to the draft are the NBA's equivalent of auto racing's silly season or baseball's hot stove league. It's the time for rumors to fly and all things, at least on paper, seem possible. The Pacers have been prominent grist in the rumor mill this year, with the alleged discussions with Toronto getting a lot of play because of the involvement of the No. 1 pick and a star player.

To this point, however, there's been no public comment from any of the parties involved that would lend credence to the oft-reported rumor, which has Jermaine O'Neal going to the Raptors for the No. 1 pick in a package that may also include Indiana's No. 17 pick and Toronto forward Charlie Villanueva. It's obviously a very sexy rumor that has grown some very long legs but isn't exactly walking on firm ground.

When last we chatted with Pacers President Larry Bird, he was identifying O'Neal not as trade bait but as "our guy," adding the plan was to "build around him."

Bird hasn't commented since that end-of-season press conference but we'll hear from him Friday morning in the pre-draft briefing.

O'Neal arranged an interview with local television station WISH as well as the Indianapolis Star in which he said the Raptors rumor "has no truth behind it whatsoever
    ."

The speculation has been the Pacers want Adam Morrison, which is curious. Though an unquestioned talent, Morrison is a small forward, a position already populated by Peja Stojakovic and Danny Granger.

Though there are many things about this rumor that don't quite add up, it hasn't stopped the speculation. This time of year, it seems, logic also is on vacation.
    Pacers.Com

Why Not Us ?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: {Pacers.Com} Is deal for #1 pick being discussed ?

I can't believe anybody would actually want the #1 pick that bad....

The #10 pick might actually turn out to be better than the #1 pick. The talent margin is very slim.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't believe anybody would actually want the #1 pick that bad....

The #10 pick might actually turn out to be better than the #1 pick. The talent margin is very slim.
    Yeah - I don't much like us giving up the #2 pick but if there was ever a year to do it, this was it.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Ok , first let me preface this by saying, as of now I don't think the Pacers will be trading JO this year.

So please don't view this a conspiracy piece...or even
    a reflection on Bruno, as I have nothing but respect for him.

However as far as the Principle is concerned on how he addressed the Question, after I read a few times, something sticks out.

I am not saying Bruno definitiely knows something, that he is not saying, I jus thought it curious the reasonings and the way Bruno phrased his answer(s).

To this point, however, there's been no public comment from any of the parties involved that would lend credence to the oft-reported rumor..
    Why would there Be ? Most fans could surmise what is said publically, what have you heard privately ?

Bird hasn't commented since that end-of-season press conference but we'll hear from him Friday morning in the pre-draft briefing..
    Ok.You mean in your day to day dealings with contacts, associates, and employees of Pacers Sports and Entertainment you don't even have a hunch on ths possiblity that this was ever discussed ?

with Pacers President Larry Bird, he was identifying O'Neal not as trade bait but as "our guy," adding the plan was to "build around him"
    OK Bruno what's up with the Quotes, is that implied that you don't buy it, or just a notation on key phrases that Larry used..

Why Not Us ?

You're reading between the lines to hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    You're reading between the lines to hard.
    Maybe, however I am not fishing for inconsistencies in his story, because I believe otherwise..

What I am saying is, when you are in Bruno's position and you have the opportunity to squash a prevalent rumor bug in regards to your Premiere player, Why only go half way ?

Demolish it with all the information you have been provided with , instead of just stating what has or has not been publically stated.

Due to the fact , as we all know trades that go down have nothing to do with what is said in the media beforehand.

Why Not Us ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade
    Maybe, however I am not fishing for inconsistencies in his story, because I believe otherwise..

What I am saying is, when you are in Bruno's position and you have the opportunity to squash a prevalent rumor bug in regards to your Premiere player, Why only go half way ?

Demolish it with all the information you have been provided with , instead of just stating what has or has not been publically stated.

Due to the fact , as we all know trades that go down have nothing to do with what is said in the media beforehand.
    Maybe he doesn't believe the party line himself?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade
    Ok.You mean in your day to day dealings with contacts, associates, and employees of Pacers Sports and Entertainment you don't even have a hunch on ths possiblity that this was ever discussed ?
    From the conversations I've had with D*v*d B*n*er, those "behind closed doors" conversations actually happen behind closed doors. Media-facing front-office employees like Conrad and David generally find out what's going on just a few minutes/ hours before the rest of us. Like when they're setting up the press conference, for example.

For that matter, I'm not convinced that Donnie listens to all of Bird's opinions (or before him, David Kahn's or Billy Knight's opinions), let alone Bruno and David.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, the thing that has me stumped is that Donnie is one of the quickest to squash specific rumors and while he has said we don't want to trade JO and things to that extent has he ever addressed this rumor specifically? Maybe I missed it, but as far as I know he has not come out and snuffed this out, like I said I may have missed it. That being said, I still think we are trying to move up and would be somewhat surprised if we stay at 17.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Believing anything Bruno says is like believing a poker player who tells you he has a hand of garbage.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Die, rumor! DIE!!!!!

I wouldn't mind morrison but, to trade JO and our #17 isn't worth it at all. That would cram our 3 position bad. If we could get bosh and the #1 get that deal done Walsh please!!!...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31
    I wouldn't mind morrison but, to trade JO and our #17 isn't worth it at all. That would cram our 3 position bad. If we could get bosh and the #1 get that deal done Walsh please!!!...
    THEY ARE NOT GIVING UP BOSH!!!
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

JO and the #17 for Villanueva and the #1 is a fair trade. However, it would be stupid to draft Morrison that high. He's going to be a good player, but he's not the next Larry Bird. More likely he's the next (less athletic, shorter) Peja, which isn't worth trading JO for. Not to mention that we've already got a logjam at SF, so drafting Morrison would demand that we trade Granger and Peja, with uncertain returns. That's too much of a gamble for anyone.

My guess is that if we're trying to get that pick, it's because Bird wants Bargnani. Even more likely is that he's floating his desire to get Morrison at #1 in hopes someone else will move up, and he can get Bargnani at a lower pick, and have to give up less as a result. There's gotta be a reason Bird spent SO much time scouting in Europe this past year.

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    JO and the #17 for Villanueva and the #1 is a fair trade.
    Dude, give the rest of us some of what you've got.

Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem

No way, I paid good mo...I mean...

You don't think it would be a good trade? Villanueva will be better than most #17 picks in most years, and certainly better than anybody at #17 this year. And while JO is probably better than anybody in this draft, he's not $20 million better.

Any time you've got the opportunity to shed close to 20 million off of your salary cap, get younger, and (theoretically) retain your overall talent level, that's a no brainer.

Sorry, I agree with Anthem.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem

Tell me what would be good for JO?

You get two good talents. Villanova will be a good 2nd or 3rd main guy and I think that the top guys in this draft can be just as good as JO, Aldrige, Bargnani, and Morrison. JO is like top 20-25 player, and I would say that those 3 guys have a chance to be one of the top 20-25 players in this league one day.

I think that you are seriously overratting JO's value. He has not shown that he can lead a team (granted we need to get some good players in here.), he is overpaid, and he is injury prone.

I have no idea who the Pacers would take with the number 1 pick but JO for a very good player and the #1 sounds like a realistic deal to me.

I'd hope the Pacers do their homework on that pick because I think we know what happened the last time they had a top 5 pick in hand.

And here's a question... could the Pacers trade that number 1 pick if they got it? I don't know the rules on that but if that's possible maybe Indiana is working with a 3rd partner in all of this?

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    And here's a question... could the Pacers trade that number 1 pick if they got it? I don't know the rules on that but if that's possible maybe Indiana is working with a 3rd partner in all of this?
    That's a good question. I can't remember that happening recently off the top of my head, so I don't know for sure. But it could always be a 3 way trade if we couldn't do 2 seperate trades.

Quote Originally Posted by rommie
    I think that you are seriously overratting JO's value. He has not shown that he can lead a team (granted we need to get some good players in here.), he is overpaid, and he is injury prone.
    And he's been the best player on a team that qualified for the ECFs before the injuries started mounting. If he gets healthy (loses weight, the Pacers find a legit big-body to play alongside him), he'll be earning that contract.

Villanuava and this year's #1 overall (which is not a consensus pick) haven't come close to doing that. I think Toronto's players and picks are grossly overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    And he's been the best player on a team that qualified for the ECFs before the injuries started mounting. If he gets healthy (loses weight, the Pacers find a legit big-body to play alongside him), he'll be earning that contract.

Villanuava and this year's #1 overall (which is not a consensus pick) haven't come close to doing that. I think Toronto's players and picks are grossly overrated.
    No, JO has only played for the Pacers in the ECF and the best player on that team was Ron Artest. JO couldve been called the more mentally stable player between the two tho...

That's the problem.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

You can't be serious.

Miami sure as hell wasn't triple-teaming Ron. But they were doing everything possible to stop JO and were willing to leave Artest open. Its a no-brainer who the best player on that team was. And Doc Rivers, SVG, and Brown proved that with their defensive strategies (which had been stolen from Byron Scott.)

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    You can't be serious.

Miami sure as hell wasn't triple-teaming Ron. But they were doing everything possible to stop JO and were willing to leave Artest open. Its a no-brainer who the best player on that team was. And Doc Rivers, SVG, and Brown proved that with their defensive strategies (which had been stolen from Byron Scott.)
    I agree with you again. This is getting spooky.

If Toronto knocked on the front door and offered Charlie, #1, and Graham or MoPete, I'd listen.

But if they're not offering a third piece and they're expecting the #17 back, you're not even in the stratosphere of a fair deal.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!