Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cuban and Howard are going apespit!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Cuban and Howard are going apespit!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playof...ory?id=2491783

Cuban airs grievances over Game 5 officiating

ESPN.com news services

DALLAS -- By the time Mark Cuban arrived in the Dallas Mavericks' locker room, he'd already peeled off the Jerry Stackhouse jersey he had been wearing in support of his suspended forward.

The symbolism was fitting: Stackhouse's hard foul in Game 4 of the NBA Finals was old news. The way Game 5 finished, Cuban had a whole new fight on his hands.

Cuban was irate over what he considered a series of officiating breakdowns at the end of Dallas' 101-100 overtime loss to the Miami Heat on Sunday night. The loss left the Mavericks trailing the series 3-2 and facing elimination going into Game 6 in Dallas on Tuesday night.

When time ran out in Game 5, Cuban ran onto the court to vent at official Joe DeRosa, then stared down and screamed toward commissioner David Stern and a group of league officials, from the court, then the stands.

Cuban was still boiling about a half-hour later during a testy interview with reporters.

He wrote a blog entry Monday explaining why he used profanity during a response to a question about whether this was the worst loss he'd endured.

"The reality is that it would be a waste of both of our time if I gave him the 'This was a tough one' answer, and a waste of my time to really think about it, particularly given there were 10 other reporters wanting to ask questions and we had a bus to catch," Cuban wrote.

His mind-set is perhaps better explained in a posting left a few minutes before titled, "Right is its own defense."

Cuban wrote about applying that catchphrase -- which he picked up from an old T-shirt -- to a business venture he's pursuing. He added that the slogan applies to the way he runs the Mavericks.

"I'm going to do what I think is right. Period end of story," he wrote. "You may not like that I want the officiating in the NBA to get better. I think it's the right thing to do."

NBA executives often praise Cuban for his passion, work ethic and high standards, even toward officiating.

It's his approach they're not always fond of, which is why he's been fined more than $1.2 million since buying the team in January 2000. That includes a $200,000 tab this postseason.

A league spokesman said Monday that Stu Jackson, the NBA disciplinarian, was not at Game 5 and had not reviewed what happened. Even if a punishment is assessed against Cuban, the league doesn't have to announce it.

Cuban practically turned getting fined into an art form after going from an owner of season tickets to owning the Mavericks.

One comment about him not hiring the league's head of officiating to manage a Dairy Queen landed Cuban as a manager for a day; he also donned pinstripes and officiated a Harlem Globetrotters game.

As his team improved, there were fewer stunts. He remained a visible, vocal critic, though, enough for some to suggest that his team ends up not getting the benefit of the doubt from officials.

Mavs supporters have brought that up again in the wake of three players getting suspended this postseason, with Stackhouse the most recent.

Dallas had a chance to win without its top reserve, leading by 11 points early and by four late in the fourth quarter. Miami ended up winning on a pair of free throws by Dwyane Wade with 1.9 seconds left in overtime.

Cuban had several gripes about the play that sent Wade to the line, starting with Wade not being whistled for a collision that left Dallas' Jason Terry on the floor.

"I guess that's not a call," Cuban said. "I guess that's not a foul."

An assistant coach later showed Cuban that Wade appeared to commit a backcourt violation before the contact with Terry. It's hard to tell on replays because of the giant championship trophy logo at midcourt.

"My understanding from the rule book is, if you are going to catch the ball in the backcourt, you have to be in the backcourt to catch it," Cuban said.

But the NBA pointed out Monday that there was no violation on the play, citing a rule that allows a player to go into the backcourt to receive an inbound pass during the last two minutes of the fourth quarter or any overtime period.

Between Wade's free throws, Dallas was charged its final timeout. The Mavs insist they were only talking about calling it after Wade's second foul shot so they could set up a final play and move the ball to the frontcourt.

"Josh Howard goes to Joe DeRosa and not only once, but twice asks for a timeout," crew chief Joey Crawford told a pool reporter. "Forced to call it, simple as that."

Something else Mavericks followers are quick to note: Wade alone took 25 free throws, the same number as the entire Dallas team. The Heat took a total of 49 free throws.

"I don't know," Cuban said of the discrepancy. "I guess they got fouled more."
    http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv...s_on_reporter/

Howard Denies Calling Timeout Twice, Erupts On Reporter

19th June, 2006 - 1:14 pm

ESPN.com - In a post-game interview with ESPN, a heated Josh Howard denied calling timeout twice before refs charged the team with their final timeout, potentially costing them the game.

"If that's what he's saying, that's what he's saying. I know I didn't call a timeout twice. I didn't even say nothing to anyone. I just made a sign like that." [Howard places his hands in the shape of a 'T'] - Howard told ESPN's Daily Dime.

Howard eventually lost his cool and erupted on the reporter.

"What am I saying to you right now, dog? Please, don't come off on me right now because I'm going to come off on you, and I'm not in a great mood right now. Get out of my face, man. Get out of my face."
    There is no way in hell Dallas will win this series now. Stern's ego is much to great to allow Cuban to win a title.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Cuban and Howard are going apespit!

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playof...ory?id=2491783

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv...s_on_reporter/

There is no way in hell Dallas will win this series now. Stern's ego is much to great to allow Cuban to win a title.
    Yep. Too bad.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would be losing it too. The Mavs have worked to hard, to take it up the rears like they are right now. I hope Cuban wears a ******* Stern T-shirt to game 6. I would cry.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Stern is laying the smackdown on Cubes on Best Damn

http://www.spursreport.com/forums/sh...232#post950232
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

If Dallas doesn't win the series, it's their own damn fault.

They flat out blew the last game. Everyone on the planet with even half a brain knew that Wade would never relinquish the ball late in Q4 and the overtime. I mean, come on. On one occassion, Wade even called a timeout with 7 seconds left on the shot clock after picking up his dribble rather than passing off to a teammate then getting the ball back. That basically spells out that Wade was going to be both selfish with the ball and not trusting of his teammates.

What was it going to take for Dallas to double team Wade everywhere he went on the floor? If I were Avery, Wade would have faced an immediate double team/trap as soon as he dribbled across the midcourt line. I would have forced him to pass the ball and for another player to make the play. With Wade covered, the ball would have eventually been swung to Shaq, who should have then drawn an immediate foul everytime the ball was in his possession.

Dallas did not lose this game... and it was not "taken" from them. They gave it away.

well you know what i think. i think the pacers were screwed horrible the only finals we've ever been lucky enough to be in. i think the mavs are getting screwed like hell. i can be a little crazy, so i wonder what some of our other members that keep cool better than i think. i hate walker and i lovge the jet, so i want dallas to win. i do think that pro sports is a little shaky now on the ref side of things. i have felt this way a minute on the nba. did you think the pacers
    would actually beat the bulls and go to the finals over mj? never... stern and his team just wouldn't let tiny indy take out the great jordan.
    nba rigged? i dont know, but i think even the most level headed members here at PD have to at least ponder.
    1 - 2, Tinsley's coming for you.
    3 - 4, You're not a team no more.
    5 - 6, He's gonna plead the 5th.
    7 - 8, He's gonna stay out late.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    If Dallas doesn't win the series, it's their own damn fault.

They flat out blew the last game. Everyone on the planet with even half a brain knew that Wade would never relinquish the ball late in Q4 and the overtime. I mean, come on. On one occassion, Wade even called a timeout with 7 seconds left on the shot clock after picking up his dribble rather than passing off to a teammate then getting the ball back. That basically spells out that Wade was going to be both selfish with the ball and not trusting of his teammates.

What was it going to take for Dallas to double team Wade everywhere he went on the floor? If I were Avery, Wade would have faced an immediate double team/trap as soon as he dribbled across the midcourt line. I would have forced him to pass the ball and for another player to make the play. With Wade covered, the ball would have eventually been swung to Shaq, who should have then drawn an immediate foul everytime the ball was in his possession.

Dallas did not lose this game... and it was not "taken" from them. They gave it away.
    QFT

Dallas choked it away. If they don't win, it'll be lost on the FT line by two Nowitzki clunks in the closing seconds that would've won Game 3, and Game 5. That's all there is to it. Howard's ghost timeout would have never been called, Cubans profanity laced tyraid never happens, and Miami leaves its first Finals appearance empty handed.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

What? Cubans team losing a game and he goes ape****. Never thought I'd see that.

This is what you get for being a jumpshooting team as opposed to a slashing team.

The Mavs choked away 2 wins in 3 games at Miami. The series should be over by now. Dallas needs to realize this and proceed as such in the final games. I do believe the Mavs are the better team and despite what transpired in Miami, I feel they will win the series at home. But they need to take some personal responsibility and accountability.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Is Stern gettin a ring for this 2?
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Cuban is a whiner. It gets old.

There is no conspiracy.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    Cuban is a whiner. It gets old.

There is no conspiracy.
    you can't be serious???
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Yeah, I am serious. I also believe that the moon landing was real. But then maybe I'm the gulible type.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto
    you can't be serious???

Come on, are you still maintaining that there was no foul on Wade on the last play?

The Mavs were perfect from the line, and then screwed themselves with missed FT at the end. That's why they lost.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    Come on, are you still maintaining that there was no foul on Wade on the last play?

The Mavs were perfect from the line, and then screwed themselves with missed FT at the end. That's why they lost.
    Sure Devin Harris fouled him but there has been way too many bad calls goin Miami's way. And Stack did not, I repeat did not deserve to be suspended.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know, I didn't see Dallas as a "jump shooting" team in game 5, I just saw Miami getting WAY more calls than Dallas. The 25 throws by Dallas is a fair and average number but 49 is ridiculous. And on the other end, I don't know how many times Devin Harris has been fouled himself going up for layups, Shaq hiting him with the body.

If fouls like the one that was called for Wade at the end were called against Shaq, he'd foul out in 10 minutes every game, he bumps players off line pretty much every game, yet he gets the "He's big" excuse.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

RON ARTEST

i dont like dallas very much but they are getting screwed big time in this series. i cant believe how bad the refs have been this year.

Exclamation Cuban shouted at Stern: ``[Bleep] you! [Bleep] you! Your league is rigged!''

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...s/14856564.htm

There could be some hefty fines for this one, if true.

Official coverup? Conspiracy theories no excuse for Dallas

There could not be a more perfect locale than Dallas for these NBA Finals to resume tonight. Just a few miles from the basketball arena is the infamous grassy knoll, national Mecca of conspiracy theorists. We presume that when the Mavericks' owner, coach and players talk these days about looking at film, it might not be game film but rather Abraham Zapruder's grainy home movie.

The question now: Is commissioner David Stern acting alone in manipulating to steal Dallas' championship trophy and give it to the Miami Heat? If so, then what of the blurred, shadowy figures on the knoll who appear to be wearing vertically striped shirts?

A delicious, volatile cauldron presents itself for Game 6 tonight in the wake of Sunday's home Heat victory in overtime and the Mavericks' belief the referees helped fashion Miami's 3-2 series lead. Desperation and paranoia is a cocktail more dangerous than Molotov's, and Dallas owner Mark Cuban warring with the officials is something like a match mad at a stick of dynamite.

It is unlikely Miami has been a part of playoff combustion like this since the bad old Knicks-rivalry years, when suspensions rocked a series and your snapshot was New York coach Jeff Van Gundy poodled onto Alonzo Mourning's pistoning leg in an on-court melee.

Here, the Mavs say they'll play with ''anger'' as the hostility of all North Texas funnels into one arena. Not sure in what role Dwyane Wade might find Shaquille O'Neal more useful tonight: Center. Or bodyguard.

''We Wuz Robbed!'' has long been the handiest excuse of teams that cannot find a decent reason for their collapse that doesn't involve the ignominy of a mirror. The convenience of alleging bad calls, or even willfully biased officiating (you'll recall the Seattle Seahawks conducted a remarkable seminar in early February), also is the blame-dodge of choice among teams that cannot bear to properly credit the opponent.

And so there it was for all to see past midnight Sunday in Miami's downtown bayfront arena: the sourest, saddest, sorriest display by a losing team that you'd ever wish to witness.

Not the loss itself; that was rather valiant. The reaction to it.

There was Cuban, whose billions can buy just about anything but a mortal slump by D-Wade, careening onto the court in a blue Jerry Stackhouse jersey after the final buzzer, screaming profanely at referee Joe DeRosa.

Cuban then turned to Stern and other NBA officials who were seated at the scorer's table and was overheard to shout venomously in the jubilant din, ``[Bleep] you! [Bleep] you! Your league is rigged!''

MAVS COME UNHINGED

That was just after The Incredible Shrinking Dirk Nowitzki -- who began the series as a 7-foot superstar but has seen the series turn him into his own bobblehead doll -- punted the basketball up into the 300-level seats after the buzzer and marauded off the court, slamming a water cooler and kicking a stationary bicycle in the hallway en route to the visitors' dressing room.

A bit after that is when coach Avery Johnson conducted a news conference that, if it were any stranger, might have seen him restrained and fitted with a straitjacket by men in White Hot coats.

A reporter asked what he thought of the foul call that turned into Wade's game-winning free throws with 1.9 seconds left in overtime.

''You tell me. What was your impression?'' Johnson replied.

The question was essentially repeated four more times; so was the coach's increasingly testy reply.

''No I want you to give everybody an honest answer,'' Johnson demanded, finally. ``We have people from Israel and Minnesota, Chicago, all over Dallas Germany.''

Johnson's performance seemed applicable to the phrase ''cracking under pressure'' to a degree that left you worried the coach was going to suddenly split in two, like a coconut that met a machete. This was the perfect spokesman for a team that seemed to be coming apart before our eyes.

Dallas' once-commanding 2-0 lead in this series seems as long ago now as NBA short-shorts. Three straight home victories by Miami have put control of the championship trophy in Heat hands entering tonight; the only question is how the seismic shift happened.

Wade's 121 points in the past three games is a pretty strong opening argument.

You start with Miami's young Flash asserting himself as the Finals MVP-in-waiting and doing it with a dominance that conjures images of Michael Jordan. And you contrast that with Nowitzki too often playing like David Hasselhoff sings, in the biggest collapse associated with Germany since the Berlin Wall.

Yet Dallas would cite the officiating, as if that was why the Mavs blew a 13-point, mid-fourth-quarter lead in crucial Game 3 -- a collapse that left the entire Dallas team writhing on the court in need a of a group Heimlich maneuver.

CUBAN'S SOUR GRAPES

Again Sunday night, responsibility for the loss was not accepted by the Mavericks. Class was not in session. So, in the wake of the 101-100 defeat, they blamed the refs.

Said that Wade, with the ball and 9.1 seconds left, committed a backcourt violation that was not called.

''That's a backcourt violation, at least to most high-schoolers,'' Cuban groused.

Then they said Wade committed a foul on Jason Terry en route to the basket that wasn't called.

''He pushed him. I guess that's not a foul,'' Cuban groused.

''Pushed off, like, three guys,'' Nowitzki claimed.

Then they said Wade was not fouled at all on the final drive that froze the clock at 1.9 and set up his winning free throws. Half right on that. Nowitzki was called but was not the fouler. However, replays clearly show Devin Harris grabbed Wade's inside right elbow, an obvious foul on anybody's court.

Finally, Dallas claimed it wanted to use its last timeout after Wade's second free throw but that the referee mistakenly awarded it after the first one -- even though the mistake clearly appeared to be on the part of timeout-signaler Josh Howard.

Speaking of whom, evidently Howard escapes blame for his two missed free throws with 54 seconds left. Evidently Nowitzki does, too, for another of his late missed foul shots. Maybe a ref hissed, ``Miss it!''

A LACK OF GRACE

Yes, let the Mavericks not accept blame for their third straight Finals loss or entertain the absurd idea Miami might be a worthy opponent.

No.

Let's instead put a telescope on the grassy knoll and imagine Stern there -- is he grinning? -- exacting some sort of vendetta against Cuban over the fact he is the most outspoken critic of NBA officiating. A conspiracy! Yes. That's it. Stern's Revenge!

''It's just ridiculous,'' Cuban summarized before climbing onto his team's bus.

He meant the officiating late in Sunday's game.

He might better have meant his team's response to the loss in the absence of any sort of grace.

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Default Re: Cuban shouted at Stern: ``[Bleep] you! [Bleep] you! Your league is rigged!''

Oh well that settles the debate, Cuban confirms that the league is rigged.

It is starting to get a little difficult to root for the Mavs.

On Mike&Mike this morning, they had a guy on who heard from an "impecible source" that one of the game operations staff told him that Cuban said "(Bleep) you, (Bleep) you, your league is rigged."

Sorry, I can't remember the guy's name, so I can't point towards his article. The quote was in the 10th paragraph, and M&M were blasting him for burying the lead. He responded that it was just Cubes being Cubes, no big deal.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Default Re: Cuban shouted at Stern: ``[Bleep] you! [Bleep] you! Your league is rigged!''

As I just said elsewhere, I heard this reporter on Mike&Mike. They were blasting him for burying the lead, and he acted like it was no big deal, that it was pretty much Cubes being Cubes.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sure Devin Harris fouled him but there has been way too many bad calls goin Miami's way. And Stack did not, I repeat did not deserve to be suspended.

If we both sat down with the tape of the game. For every bad call you could find that went against the Mavs, I could find a bad call that went against the Heat.

Yes he did, I repeat, did deserve to get suspended

No conspiracy, Dallas just plain choked and now they are blaming everyone but themselves.

The two Cuban thread are now merged.

IMO Dallas has gotten alot more bad calls than Miami.