Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Vescey: JO is available

  1. #1
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,678

    Default Vescey: JO is available

    The headline here is wrong, I guess. Whoever wrote the headline needs to read the article

    http://www.nypost.com/php/pfriendly/...ter_vecsey.htm



    NO WAY JERMAINE'S ON THE BLOCK

    By PETER VECSEY

    June 16, 2006 -- MIAMI - If you read a quote by a named Pacers official or an unnamed source denying Jermaine O'Neal is being shopped, do not fall for it. Too many reliable fountains of information claim the All-Star forward is definitely available for a team's best big player, or an elite draft pick and the team's second best player.

    Do not bank on the Raptors to relinquish their pick of the litter for O'Neal. In fact, don't bank on any of the top four draft picks to be traded with Texas center LaMarcus Aldridge rapidly emerging as the favorite to go No. 1, overall.

    As long as I'm disregarding reports, obliterate the one that contends the Raptors are considering swapping coveted duo Charlie Villanueva and Mo Peterson for Jamal Magloire and Mo Williams. The only way Toronto takes Magloire in any deal remotely resembling that one is if the Bucks substitute T.J. Ford for Mo.

    Tell you something else to discount totally that's being floated out there by wastes of space. Wizard owner Abe Pollin, back to work after a month or so of poor health, is not holding off on extending Eddie Jordan's contract in order to pounce on Larry Brown when (not if) the Knicks finally cut the umbilical cord. Washington is very pleased with how Jordan has guided the team to two straight postseasons and has every intention of retaining him past next season.

    Jordan, by the way, isn't the only rising lame duck coach. Also in that position are Mike Dunleavy, Mike Fratello, Rick Carlisle, Sam Mitchell, Bob Hill, Bernie Bickerstaff, Byron Scott and George Karl, who's down for one more year, at which time Denver has a three-year option.

    *

    Column contributor Joe Belfiore feels it was a little tacky of commissioner David Stern to join the Heat crowd behind the basket and wave those pom-poms when the Mavericks' Dirk Nowitzki admittedly "short-armed" his Game 3-deciding free throw.

    As mentioned previously, I cast my MVP vote for Dirk. Evidently, I think he can play a little bit. At the same time, ABC's color (uncoordinated) studio analyst Mark Jackson should have his mouth washed out with German chocolate cake for stating Dirk is better than Larry Bird. Not only would Bird have the layup that would've tied the game, underlines column contributor Kevin Heller, "he would've slipped on a blindfold and drained the winning free throw."

    *

    The Nuggets are prepared to trade any player on their roster exempting Carmelo Anthony. Any team can have Kenyon Martin essentially for nothing, no joke, if you classify $71 million over the next five seasons nothing . . . Orlando is looking to obtain an established off guard in case it loses DeShawn Stevenson to free agency.

    With the Hawks' ownership seemingly in question, it figures to be difficult for GM Billy Knight to make a command decision such as the possible acquisition of Allen Iverson, who'd be an instant gravitational pull in the stands. He's exactly what the incredibly athletic Hawks need to improve dramatically in the standings as well. Naturally, Marvin Williams or Josh Smith would have to part of any exchange program.

    *

    Look for Timberwolves GM Jim Stack, a Pacers assistant under Isiah Thomas, to assume a lot of the same duties in New York when Brown leaves and the team president takes over as coach . . . The agent for Mr. Miami, "I'll sacrifice-everything-to-win-a-title-as-long-as-I'm-well-comensated-for-it," has been alerting teams client Alonzo Mourning is about to become a free agent. Shocking that ABC's hard-hitting Game 3 halftime feature on the Organ Groaner never mentioned anything like that.

    *

    The Lakers are looking at Kwame Brown exclusively as a center, meaning Andrew Bynum can be had. The question is, for what/ Since he has no college experience and only one unrevealing year of pro ball, nobody really knows what the New Jersey 7-footer is worth . . . If you believe the media (I never have), the Knicks have placed a gag order on Next Town Brown - a natural progression from the gag season he placed on the rest of us.

    peter.vecsey@nypost.com

  2. #2
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,180
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vescey: JO is available

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The headline here is wrong, I guess. Whoever wrote the headline needs to read the article

    http://www.nypost.com/php/pfriendly/...ter_vecsey.htm



    NO WAY JERMAINE'S ON THE BLOCK

    By PETER VECSEY

    June 16, 2006 -- MIAMI - If you read a quote by a named Pacers official or an unnamed source denying Jermaine O'Neal is being shopped, do not fall for it. Too many reliable fountains of information claim the All-Star forward is definitely available for a team's best big player, or an elite draft pick and the team's second best player.

    Do not bank on the Raptors to relinquish their pick of the litter for O'Neal. In fact, don't bank on any of the top four draft picks to be traded with Texas center LaMarcus Aldridge rapidly emerging as the favorite to go No. 1, overall.

    As long as I'm disregarding reports, obliterate the one that contends the Raptors are considering swapping coveted duo Charlie Villanueva and Mo Peterson for Jamal Magloire and Mo Williams. The only way Toronto takes Magloire in any deal remotely resembling that one is if the Bucks substitute T.J. Ford for Mo.

    Tell you something else to discount totally that's being floated out there by wastes of space. Wizard owner Abe Pollin, back to work after a month or so of poor health, is not holding off on extending Eddie Jordan's contract in order to pounce on Larry Brown when (not if) the Knicks finally cut the umbilical cord. Washington is very pleased with how Jordan has guided the team to two straight postseasons and has every intention of retaining him past next season.

    Jordan, by the way, isn't the only rising lame duck coach. Also in that position are Mike Dunleavy, Mike Fratello, Rick Carlisle, Sam Mitchell, Bob Hill, Bernie Bickerstaff, Byron Scott and George Karl, who's down for one more year, at which time Denver has a three-year option.

    *

    Column contributor Joe Belfiore feels it was a little tacky of commissioner David Stern to join the Heat crowd behind the basket and wave those pom-poms when the Mavericks' Dirk Nowitzki admittedly "short-armed" his Game 3-deciding free throw.

    As mentioned previously, I cast my MVP vote for Dirk. Evidently, I think he can play a little bit. At the same time, ABC's color (uncoordinated) studio analyst Mark Jackson should have his mouth washed out with German chocolate cake for stating Dirk is better than Larry Bird. Not only would Bird have the layup that would've tied the game, underlines column contributor Kevin Heller, "he would've slipped on a blindfold and drained the winning free throw."

    *

    The Nuggets are prepared to trade any player on their roster exempting Carmelo Anthony. Any team can have Kenyon Martin essentially for nothing, no joke, if you classify $71 million over the next five seasons nothing . . . Orlando is looking to obtain an established off guard in case it loses DeShawn Stevenson to free agency.

    With the Hawks' ownership seemingly in question, it figures to be difficult for GM Billy Knight to make a command decision such as the possible acquisition of Allen Iverson, who'd be an instant gravitational pull in the stands. He's exactly what the incredibly athletic Hawks need to improve dramatically in the standings as well. Naturally, Marvin Williams or Josh Smith would have to part of any exchange program.

    *

    Look for Timberwolves GM Jim Stack, a Pacers assistant under Isiah Thomas, to assume a lot of the same duties in New York when Brown leaves and the team president takes over as coach . . . The agent for Mr. Miami, "I'll sacrifice-everything-to-win-a-title-as-long-as-I'm-well-comensated-for-it," has been alerting teams client Alonzo Mourning is about to become a free agent. Shocking that ABC's hard-hitting Game 3 halftime feature on the Organ Groaner never mentioned anything like that.

    *

    The Lakers are looking at Kwame Brown exclusively as a center, meaning Andrew Bynum can be had. The question is, for what/ Since he has no college experience and only one unrevealing year of pro ball, nobody really knows what the New Jersey 7-footer is worth . . . If you believe the media (I never have), the Knicks have placed a gag order on Next Town Brown - a natural progression from the gag season he placed on the rest of us.

    peter.vecsey@nypost.com

    Decipher that bolded area please.


    and if he did that, Der Fuhrer should be fired immediately. Any impression of favoritism, etc etc.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

  3. #3
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,070

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vescey: JO is available

    I absolutely hate Vecsey's writing. It always such a messy collaboration of quips that it's difficult to decipher.

    And as for the bit about Stern, if that's actually true...

  4. #4
    Member Jon Theodore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,746

    Default Re: Vescey: JO is available

    Peter Vecsey is my dad
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

  5. #5
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,620

    Default Re: Vescey: JO is available

    I don't believe anything I read in the press this time of year.

    Versey does seem to get inside info on the Pacers.

    But that doesn't mean it's true.

    Even if it came from DW, this could just be their way of generating more phone traffic and offers for other players. Ye ol' bait-and-switch.

    And who knows, you might even get somebody offering something you'd take - KG.

    Multiple people on here have mentioned it before, but there is no "superstar" in this draft - nobody who has a great certainty of being better than JO.

    But I'm looking at things on talent and not looking at JOs salary. But I honestly don't think that bothers them. I'm sure they considered that JO might be here for his whole contract.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  6. #6
    Banned Fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,408

    Default Re: Vescey: JO is available

    Maybe its supposed to be, "No way, Jermaine's on the Block."

  7. #7

    Default Re: Vescey: JO is available

    Obviously, Peter Vescey hasn't viewed the WISH-TV (Ch-8) interview they did w/JO discussing these co-called trade rumors involving him. Talk about a reporter being completely out of the loop.

  8. #8
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,070

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vescey: JO is available

    Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Obviously, Peter Vescey hasn't viewed the WISH-TV (Ch-8) interview they did w/JO discussing these co-called trade rumors involving him. Talk about a reporter being completely out of the loop.
    I just wish all of these JO trade rumors would stop. I'd say the chances of us dealing JO are about < 10%.

    What we need to do is focus on upgrading the rest of the roster, particularly the starting C and SG positions.

  9. #9
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,874

    Default Re: Vescey: JO is available

    I'm assuming the quip about Stern was a bit of a gag... implying Stern wanted Dirk to miss to extend this series and get Miami back in it to keep the ratings up and more games to be played.

    -Bball

    Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Obviously, Peter Vescey hasn't viewed the WISH-TV (Ch-8) interview they did w/JO discussing these co-called trade rumors involving him. Talk about a reporter being completely out of the loop.
    That's more like a player being out of the loop... No way would I ever expect a player to have the final say or knowledge in whether he was being shopped or not.

    Is there a fire sale for JO? I'd think not...

    Should the Pacers be seeing what someone wants to offer for JO? I'd hope they are...

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  10. #10
    Member BigDawg44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Age
    27
    Posts
    469

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vescey: JO is available

    so....andrew Bynum is available??? maybe send Tinsley in a package to get bynum. not gonna go into detail on the trade, because i dont feel like it. but very interesting. i know we have harrison and bynum could be a project like harrison, but those are 2 very big bodies. and we had those on the team. haha think about a front court of Bynum and Harrison. if they ever got in the game at the same time....not much driving to the basket on the opposing teams part.

  11. #11
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Vescey: JO is available

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg44
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    so....andrew Bynum is available??? maybe send Tinsley in a package to get bynum. not gonna go into detail on the trade, because i dont feel like it. but very interesting. i know we have harrison and bynum could be a project like harrison, but those are 2 very big bodies. and we had those on the team. haha think about a front court of Bynum and Harrison. if they ever got in the game at the same time....not much driving to the basket on the opposing teams part.
    If Bynum's available, you're not going to get him for Tinsley.

    Not that I wouldn't love to have Bynum.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,095

    Default Re: Vescey: JO is available

    Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Obviously, Peter Vescey hasn't viewed the WISH-TV (Ch-8) interview they did w/JO discussing these co-called trade rumors involving him. Talk about a reporter being completely out of the loop.
    I didn't see that - so JO thinks he'll be traded?
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  13. #13
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,054

    Default Re: Vescey: JO is available

    Unless someone has video evidence of Stern cheering with the Miami fans I don't believe it. He's not that stupid. Is he?

    On the chance it is true we'll never know thanks to the power of the almighty Commish.

  14. #14
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,257
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vescey: JO is available

    Of course we want to extend Ediie Jordan's contract, he got us into th eplayoffs, twice. Who said we wanted Larry Brown? He'll turn us in to the Knicks, or did Isaiah do that? MJ did that to us a while back...i'm rambling...
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  15. #15
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,039

    Default Re: Vescey: JO is available

    Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course we want to extend Ediie Jordan's contract, he got us into th eplayoffs, twice. Who said we wanted Larry Brown? He'll turn us in to the Knicks, or did Isaiah do that? MJ did that to us a while back...i'm rambling...
    Rambling? I thought you were giving a Peter Vecsey quote.

  16. #16
    Member PacerFan31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    26
    Posts
    684

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vescey: JO is available

    The fact of the matter is JO is being shopped. It's the NBA, every player is able to be traded, and anyone who thinks otherwise just because the player went on local TV and said he wasn't isn't using their head.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Vescey: JO is available

    Here is my question, is JO just avaliable if we get a good offer or is Bird really shopping JO, as in shopping him until he gets a deal he likes?

  18. #18
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,039

    Default Re: Vescey: JO is available

    Who really knows what to believe? However, we know the Pacers aren't going to have a fire sale. It will be interesting to see what really happens this off season.

  19. #19
    STRAIGHT UP pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,011
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vescey: JO is available

    What can we give up for Bynum? I'd really like to have him here.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

    @The_Real_CJake

  20. #20
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: Vescey: JO is available

    Here's the way I see it.

    Jermaine is being shopped.

    But he's really not.

    What do I mean?

    I think the organization is in a pressure/psuedo panic mode. I'll compare it to three incidents. The jalen/Travis trade that brought us Ron and co., the time we traded Jackson for Rose and the reacquiring of Jackson. In each of those trades, management got truly spooked. I think for the first time in a while, management is afriad they are going to lose a big part of their fan base.

    I thinki they ARE shopping Jermiane as part of a bait and switch. See what you might get for Jermaine, then turn the talk to a lesser player, or pair of them such as a Jackson/Harrison combo, etc.

    I would suspect that it's a lot easier to get a dialogue started by calling to offer Jermaine, than it is to offer a malcontent (Jackson) or a china doll (Tinsley). I think doug is spot on in his thinking.

    And geezer?

    Jordan, by the way, isn't the only rising lame duck coach. Also in that position are Mike Dunleavy, Mike Fratello, Rick Carlisle, Sam Mitchell, Bob Hill, Bernie Bickerstaff, Byron Scott and George Karl, who's down for one more year, at which time Denver has a three-year option.
    You were asking for someone to decipher? I think it means that Carlisle is being kept on, yet, hasn't been offered a contract extention. Are they waiting to see what the roster will look like, then go after a more compatible coach? I think some of the teams mentioned have coaches with one more year left and the team doesn't have a strong direction they're working towards. That's silly to call Dunleavy and Karl lame ducks, though. Karl has provided a lot of his players with a certain comfort level and he has a specific direction. Dunleavy just put the Clipper son the map. How is he a lame-duck? That's my take.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

  21. #21
    Member bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,583

    Default Re: Vescey: JO is available

    Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What can we give up for Bynum? I'd really like to have him here.
    Sign and trade Freddie? Or, if Peja's gonna leave for sure, sign and trade him? But I don't know how we'd get the salaries to work, unfortunately Devean George's contract has expired and is no longer useable in a trade.

    AJ for Bynum works straight up, but IMHO, not worth it unless we trade JO and we're rebuilding so they throw in a few picks. I'm sure they'd take it, they need a solid PG that can take some scoring pressure off Kobe while still running the offense and getting him the ball.

  22. #22
    Member BigDawg44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Age
    27
    Posts
    469

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vescey: JO is available

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Bynum's available, you're not going to get him for Tinsley.

    Not that I wouldn't love to have Bynum.
    i realize that, i was just too lazy to think of a package deal but i figured LA would like Tinsley since all they have right now is Smush Parker. so tinsley could be PART of the deal not the whole thing. maybe somethin like Foster. or the freddie idea was thrown out there

  23. #23
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,572

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Vescey: JO is available

    I agree with Shade, I wish all these rumors would stop. I mean, I'm not taking this article serious.

    It just gets the hopes up of all the people who wish JO was gone.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  24. #24
    Member indytoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,503

    Default Re: Vescey: JO is available

    Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What can we give up for Bynum? I'd really like to have him here.
    JO, probably. Don't think they'd bite though.

    IndyToad
    Staying healthy

  25. #25
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Vescey: JO is available

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    AJ for Bynum works straight up, but IMHO, not worth it unless we trade JO and we're rebuilding so they throw in a few picks. I'm sure they'd take it, they need a solid PG that can take some scoring pressure off Kobe while still running the offense and getting him the ball.
    You're kidding.

    The Pacers would take that in a second. The Lakers would mock us forever if we offered that. Freddy, Tinsley, AJ, Foster? They wouldn't trade Bynum for all of those guys together.

    EDIT: Ok, if you want Bynum and don't want to give up Granger, would you do: Jermaine O'Neal and Anthony Johnson for Andrew Bynum, Brian Cook, Sasha Vujacic, Lamar Odom, and the Laker's pick?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •