Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Here's an idea for the NBA, will never happen, but it's an interesting idea.

  1. #1

    Default Here's an idea for the NBA, will never happen, but it's an interesting idea.

    I was talking with one of my friends today about the NBA game. How the rules have changed to increase scoring and such. But we were talking of another way to increase scoring.

    How about this, take away the 3 point shot and the dunk in the NBA.

    Why you ask? People love the dunk and the 3s. But the thing is, very few players have an inbetween game and even if they do, they usually either try and hit a 3 or they dunk.

    Let me give an example of how this would increase scoring.

    It was like in college in the 60s or 70s, Kareem Abdual-Jabbar was the reasoning they banned the dunk for some time because the NCAA was afraid KAJ was going to dominate the college game to much if he could dunk. So what did KAJ, he developed a shot that is almost impossiable to block, the sky hook. Can you imagne if some of these big men today had a sky hook?

    Then now we see with Dirk Nowitzki, under Avery Johnson he shoots fewer 3 pointers and therefore he is not only harder to guard, but the Dallas Mavericks are harder to guard as a team.

    It's hard to imagne basketball without the dunk and 3 point shot. But I for one wouldn't mind seeing it played without those two things. I think it would be very interesting. Of course it will never happen, but that's not really the point.

  2. #2
    Member bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,586

    Default Re: Here's an idea for the NBA, will never happen, but it's an interesting idea.

    It's called the WNBA. And it sucks.

  3. #3
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Here's an idea for the NBA, will never happen, but it's an interesting idea.

    That's a good idea. Another good idea would be if we jump the ball after every basket.

    Or has that been tried before?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  4. #4
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,260
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Here's an idea for the NBA, will never happen, but it's an interesting idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's called the WNBA. And it sucks.
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  5. #5
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,288

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Here's an idea for the NBA, will never happen, but it's an interesting idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's called the WNBA. And it sucks.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Here's an idea for the NBA, will never happen, but it's an interesting idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's called the WNBA. And it sucks.
    And there are people who would argue that the NBA sucks until maybe this year, what's your point????

  7. #7
    Member bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,586

    Default Re: Here's an idea for the NBA, will never happen, but it's an interesting idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by rommie
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And there are people who would argue that the NBA sucks until maybe this year, what's your point????
    1) I believe most fans consider this a rennaissance year for the NBA, very fun to watch.

    2) The three and the dunk are the most marketable aspects of basketball as a game precisely because they are the most popular.

    3) WNBA players can't dunk, and their three isn't very long. Watch sometime. The majority of people don't find it very interesting to watch, as you can see by their ratings.

    I think I have three very good points. Sorry to be so glib originally, but this is a message board.

    edit: You mentioned #1, sorry. But you can't just skip over it, why mess with a good thing?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Here's an idea for the NBA, will never happen, but it's an interesting idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1) I believe most fans consider this a rennaissance year for the NBA, very fun to watch.

    2) The three and the dunk are the most marketable aspects of basketball as a game precisely because they are the most popular.

    3) WNBA players can't dunk, and their three isn't very long. Watch sometime. The majority of people don't find it very interesting to watch, as you can see by their ratings.

    I think I have three very good points. Sorry to be so glib originally, but this is a message board.

    edit: You mentioned #1, sorry. But you can't just skip over it, why mess with a good thing?
    Oh I understand that pretty much all the fans would not like it because they like dunks and 3s, and I don't mind them.

    I just mainly brought this up for discussion. Just wondering how players would develope their games if these rules were put into place. I just think it would be interesting to see how players/teams would play a few years after the rules were put into place. Would I really want to see the 3 and dunk banned for any period of time? Not really, but I do think it would be interesting to see how the game would be played.

  9. #9
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,260
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Here's an idea for the NBA, will never happen, but it's an interesting idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by rommie
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh I understand that pretty much all the fans would not like it because they like dunks and 3s, and I don't mind them.

    I just mainly brought this up for discussion. Just wondering how players would develope their games if these rules were put into place. I just think it would be interesting to see how players/teams would play a few years after the rules were put into place. Would I really want to see the 3 and dunk banned for any period of time? Not really, but I do think it would be interesting to see how the game would be played.
    They'd develop into soccer players.
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  10. #10
    Tim
    Guest

    Default Re: Here's an idea for the NBA, will never happen, but it's an interesting idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by rommie
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was talking with one of my friends today about the NBA game. How the rules have changed to increase scoring and such. But we were talking of another way to increase scoring.

    How about this, take away the 3 point shot and the dunk in the NBA.

    Why you ask? People love the dunk and the 3s. But the thing is, very few players have an inbetween game and even if they do, they usually either try and hit a 3 or they dunk.

    Let me give an example of how this would increase scoring.

    It was like in college in the 60s or 70s, Kareem Abdual-Jabbar was the reasoning they banned the dunk for some time because the NCAA was afraid KAJ was going to dominate the college game to much if he could dunk. So what did KAJ, he developed a shot that is almost impossiable to block, the sky hook. Can you imagne if some of these big men today had a sky hook?

    Then now we see with Dirk Nowitzki, under Avery Johnson he shoots fewer 3 pointers and therefore he is not only harder to guard, but the Dallas Mavericks are harder to guard as a team.

    It's hard to imagne basketball without the dunk and 3 point shot. But I for one wouldn't mind seeing it played without those two things. I think it would be very interesting. Of course it will never happen, but that's not really the point.

    I don't think this would work with the casual fan. It would be like taking away the ability to have a high speed car wreck in racing, or turning full contact tackle football into touch football.

  11. #11
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Here's an idea for the NBA, will never happen, but it's an interesting idea.

    I like the variation where a dunk shot becomes a 1-point shot. A layup is still a 2-pointer.

    I think the current three-point line is way too close. Too many players think they can hit it so they don't take a step or two in and hit the high % shot.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •