Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JJ Redick arrested and charged with drunk driving

Default JJ Redick arrested and charged with drunk driving

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...gle&id=4265345

J.J. Redick Arrested, Charged with DWI Eyewitness News
    (06/13/06 - DURHAM) - Eyewitness News has learned that former Duke men's basketball star, J.J. Redick was arrested for driving while impaired early Tuesday morning.

According to the police report obtained by Eyewitness News, the arrest occurred at 1:03 a.m. in the 100-block of McQueen Drive in Durham.

The police report indicates Redick made an illegal U-turn to avoid a license checkpoint.

Redick bonded out of the Durham County Jail around 4 a.m. on a $1000 secured bond.

Redick graduated from Duke University in May and is expected to be drafted into the NBA on June 28th.

He is scheduled to appear in court in Durham on July 17th.

Stay with abc11tv.com and ABC11 Eyewitness News for the latest on this developing story.

-----------------------

In other news, the Trailblazers are now rumored to be very interested in JJ Redick

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: JJ Redick arrested and charged with drunk driving

Sounds like JJ will be doing some community service before the start of training camp. Hope he likes gardening or trash collection on highways. Always niice to spend some time outdoors in the summer.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ory?id=2482061

J.J. Redick, a likely first-round pick in this month's NBA draft, was arrested for driving while impaired early Tuesday and has was released on $1,000 bond, a Raleigh-Durham, N.C., television station reported.

WTVD, citing a police report, said that Redick was arrested at 1:03 a.m. in Durham, N.C., after the former Duke star made an illegal U-turn to avoid a police checkpoint.

The television station reported that Redick is scheduled to appear in a Durham court on July 17.

The NBA draft is scheduled June 28 in New York City. How an arrest will affect Redick's draft status is unclear, though it may not hurt it, according to ESPN.com's Andy Katz.

"I think that these things hurt anybody's draft status," an Eastern Conference GM, who wanted to remain anonymous, told Katz. "They do in my eyes. I take these things seriously. That's too bad."

Redick had previously pulled out of scheduled workouts with Orlando and Boston this week. Previously, he had worked out for Golden State, Utah, Houston and Seattle.

Among the teams reportedly interested in Redick is Houston, which has the No. 8 pick.

Redick, who won the 2006 Wooden Award as the nation's top college player, shot 47 percent from the field, 42 percent from 3-point range and 85 percent from the free throw line in leading Duke to a 32-4 record. He finished his career with 2,769 points and the record 457 3-pointers.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

woman without a team

I think this moves him to the top of Portland's wish list.

might he fall to #17 now?

P.S. Grace, your joke was told 11 minutes earlier.

You know what really pisses me off. This is not going to get nearly the play Ben's motorcycle accident is. When you don't wear a helmet, you're only endangering your life; when you drive drunk, you're endangering the lives of others, too.

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

So let's assume he fights this. The first prong will be was the U turn really illegal. ASSUMING that is the stated reason for the initial stop (as the report makes it sound) then if that U turn isn't illegal the DUI never comes into play.

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought checkpoints were considered illegal to begin with.

My brother had a DUI charge thrown out because he did the exact same thing, and a week later they were deemed unconstitutional.

I always thought it was at a national level, but maybe it was just at the state level.

Idiot.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

If he was a milk drinker this never woulda happened!

When will the National Guard be sent into Duke University to stem the chaos?

The really sad part is that Reddick isn't the only who does this. He just got caught. What really sucks is that there is probably atleast one player on every team who does this.

Come on Reddick, if you wanna drink that's fine, there is nothing wrong with that. But you probably just lost a lot of money because you wanted to drink and then drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

My brother had a DUI charge thrown out because he did the exact same thing, and a week later they were deemed unconstitutional.

I always thought it was at a national level, but maybe it was just at the state level.
    We have them all the time around here......
    --- Edited Follow-Up ---
    Quote Originally Posted by rommie
    The really sad part is that Reddick isn't the only who does this. He just got caught. What really sucks is that there is probably atleast one player on every team who does this.

Come on Reddick, if you wanna drink that's fine, there is nothing wrong with that. But you probably just lost a lot of money because you wanted to drink and then drive.
    Its not just ballplayers.

There are lots of people that do it.

Its a mistake, and hopefully he can learn from it and not do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86

I think that SELECTIVE stopping at checkpoints was ruled illegal. Used to be at checkpoints they would waive you past if "you looked OK". Of course the allegation was that if you had the wrong skin color or a "too nice" car, you were singled out and stopped.

I think that it was determined that checkpoints are legal if you stop and scrutinize every single car going past. There may be also requirements that you have checkpoints at a variety of locations, and not just (for example) in a certain ethnic neighborhood, and records must be kept to demonstrate that DWI arrests are spread out among all ethinic backgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    We have them all the time around here......
    --- Edited Follow-Up ---

Its not just ballplayers.

There are lots of people that do it.

Its a mistake, and hopefully he can learn from it and not do it again.
    Yeah I know. Which is even sadder.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy

You know what really pisses me off. This is not going to get nearly the play Ben's motorcycle accident is. When you don't wear a helmet, you're only endangering your life; when you drive drunk, you're endangering the lives of others, too.

JJ Reddick did not win the Superbowl. News is only as big as the people in the news.

unsubstantiated rumor here, but...

I've read on other forums that Redick is a known frat party boy and allegedly he has admitted past binge drinking in high school and his freshman and sophmore years. Apparently he also got busted for something his freshman year but charges were dropped.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He was in a dorm room where they were smokin pot, and they got busted. All of them there said he was only in there to check his email, and didn't participate.

I've heard just the exact opposite, that because of that incident he was very strict and had a rule of only going to one party a year. That story makes sense to me a little more, especially when you factor in his strict workout/eating regimen to lose all that weight.

Maybe he had a cold and took some TUSSIN!

Thuging up is what some of you call it right? Or is thugging it up only when you yell at a ref.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    Thuging up is what some of you call it right? Or is thugging it up only when you yell at a ref.
    Are you seriously trying to compare throwing (whatever Haslem threw at the ref) to driving drunk.

The only comparison is that they are both stupid.

And I really hope that comment was a sarcastic one, but in case you were serious. Drunk driving is many things, including illegal, but no it is not "thugish"

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom
    might he fall to #17 now?
    If he falls to #17, then let him fall to #18, too. We don't want him.

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere
    When will the National Guard be sent into Duke University to stem the chaos?
    I know George Bush should of done something about this. This is all George Bush's fault! Impeach Bush!!!! *Sarcasm*

When he does do something I don't see how it is going to effect the situation.
    *More Sarcasm*

Quote Originally Posted by tdubb03
    Maybe he had a cold and took some TUSSIN!
    Nope.

He can't stay away from those Lacrosse parties.