Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger involved in Motorcycle Accident

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Roethlisberger involved in Motorcycle Accident

Severe knee injuries? This is bad. Very bad.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Severe knee injuries? This is bad. Very bad.
    He's alive. Everything else is secondary at this point.

I feel for him if his career is over, but the fact is he KNEW the risk he was taking, and didn't care. He's said over and over that he'd never put on a helmet as long as there was no law requiring him to do so on ESPN, Fox, CBS, and whoever else asked him about it.

He's a good kid, but the fact is kids only go as far behind the line as they can get without going over it.

Plain and simple, the line should have been pushed back.

What I'm hoping out of this? The idiots running things in PA pass a LAW requiring a helmet for motorcycles.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    He's alive. Everything else is secondary at this point.

I feel for him if his career is over, but the fact is he KNEW the risk he was taking, and didn't care. He's said over and over that he'd never put on a helmet as long as there was no law requiring him to do so on ESPN, Fox, CBS, and whoever else asked him about it.

He's a good kid, but the fact is kids only go as far behind the line as they can get without going over it.

Plain and simple, the line should have been pushed back.

What I'm hoping out of this? The idiots running things in PA pass a LAW requiring a helmet for motorcycles.
    Oh yeah I agree he is alive everything else is secondary, but come on. I know this is not exactly Len Bias but talk about potential maybe not being reached.
    It would not surprise me either to see a law passed. This is assinine.

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731
    Oh yeah I agree he is alive everything else is secondary, but come on.
    Hey I feel bad if he's done with football, but the fact is he was asking for it. I mean, it's not like a car hit him while he was walking to his mailbox. The man was on a motorcycle death-trap, without a helmet.

How much more can you possibly do to put yourself in harm's way?

"He talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."
    Someone close to Ben should have slapped him with a frying pan after he said that.

Ben: There is NO SUCH THING as being safe on a motorcycle, unless you never intend to take it off your driveway. You can be the best motorcycle rider on eath, but you can't control what the other 2 million cars you're riding next to will do, and there's only so many places to turn on a highway when you see danger. If an accident wants to find you, it will find you.

I know this is not exactly Len Bias but talk about potential maybe not being reached.
    He's probably done more in his first 2 years than any QB in the history of football. If there's any 2nd-year player that could retire today and have a more full career than %99 of the players in his league, it's Ben Rothlesburger.

Again, I'm not without sympathy for a lost career, but it's hard to get past the fact he set himself up for this in so many ways, despite everyone he knew telling him it was stupid.

I blame the PA lawmakers mostly, because they are the only people Ben admittied he would have listened to.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Wow. I am just stunned. This has been one of the best years ever in Steelers history and now this happens. I obliviously want him to be alright, but if he won't be able to play football again I will feel really bad. I really enjoyed watching him play and I really feel for Steelers fans because they could have been beginning a dynasty.

I have had a motorcycle accident. I was going 65 mph and went over the handlebars. It doesn't sound like Ben was going anywhere near that fast. I did not receive serious knee injuries and doubt Ben did either. He certainly did not get serious knee injuries from hitting the pavement. More likely he got them from hitting his handlebars or the car. I did receive very nasty knee abrasions, but the bones and tendons were fine. I would be much more concerned about head injuries. My helmet had a bad "scratch" on it.

If Ben wants to wear or not wear a helmet, fine. I think it's silly not to, but that's his choice. He's got his ring and money, he can choose.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

It was so odd hearing about this accident around noon today. I had just listened to Ben being interviewed/teased on the Tony Bruno show THIS morning. Lots of talk about golf and the Steelers having a good off-season. The typical stuff. He seems like a good egg. Prayers and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead Warrior
    I have had a motorcycle accident. I was going 65 mph and went over the handlebars. It doesn't sound like Ben was going anywhere near that fast. I did not receive serious knee injuries and doubt Ben did either. He certainly did not get serious knee injuries from hitting the pavement. More likely he got them from hitting his handlebars or the car. I did receive very nasty knee abrasions, but the bones and tendons were fine. I would be much more concerned about head injuries. My helmet had a bad "scratch" on it.

If Ben wants to wear or not wear a helmet, fine. I think it's silly not to, but that's his choice. He's got his ring and money, he can choose.

Now usually I am 100% Pro Players in most debates or views regarding rules , regulations etc.

This one however I have to say..besides the common sense factor, you are a multi million dollar investment for a multi billion dollar company,once players Like Big Ben start to get injured and it effects the NFL's bottomline, not to mention the immediate impact it has on the Franchise that has put all the time and money into a player, there needs to be some serious reflection.

I think there needs to simply stated on the contract, as long as you are employed by said team , you will not operate or engage in any activites that could be considered uncessarily risky or dangerous to your person.

If you break these guidelines you can be fined, suspended or up to contract terminiated depending on severity, or multiple offenses.

ATV's, Bikes,Sky Diving , now personally I am no nervous nelly, but when it comes to Professional Athletes, you must protect your investment at all costs.

Why Not Us ?

There are pictures on MSN of the bike and the large pool of blood on the ground where he was laying.

The article on MSN stated that he had a broken jaw as well as some other injuries.

Just go to the sports section of MSN.com for the pictures. The front end of the bike is smashed up pretty good.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

After what happened to Winslow, Im amazed anyone is stupid enough to continue to ride without a helmet.

I am even more amazed NFL (and all sports teams) allow these [stars] to do so.

How much do you want to bet the newly drafted players will have a clause that says no bikes or at least a "you have to wear a helmet" clause.

With all of that said, I wish him a speedy recovery

only rides harleys and choppers? that looks like a racing bike to me..... i am sorry this happened...but this is bad karma from his interview with ESPN. i hope and pray he is ok and is able to continue on with is very prosperous career

Wow, I had no idea it was this bad. Though he was a moron for not wearing a helmet, he is paying the price now, and you've gotta for him.

Nerd.
    Mood

While there is no law in PA, or other states for that matter (with IN being one of them) stating that you have to wear a helmet, I believe there is no need for one.

It might be, and is, stupid to not wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle, but more laws are not needed. Personal responsiblity is. We do not need to become even more of a Nanny State than we presently are.

If you believe in a god or the God, then please pray for Ben. If not, just think good thoughts for him.

Most people get second chances for a reason, and maybe he will learn from his mistake.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Funny, he had a new bike that is "the fastest street legal bike."

So much for the Harleys and choppers.

Still, I'd be really distraught if this was a defensive player like Joey or Troy. I hope Ben has a full recovery and that it happens quickly, of course. But from a football perspective, it could have been much worse.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Yeah the pictures of the bike look pretty bad.

Not as bad as the picture of the windshield. That crater is where his head hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    Not as bad as the picture of the windshield. That crater is where his head hit.

And here are pics of the accident site , with some oil and blood stains on the pavement..

Why Not Us ?

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    How much do you want to bet the newly drafted players will have a clause that says no bikes or at least a "you have to wear a helmet" clause.
    Even if that is put into place, players are still going to go out and ride without wearing a helment. It's there choice. They know the risk they are taking, and I don't think they need to be told not to take that risk, they are grown men.

Players take risk everyday. If you have ever watched MTV cribs and see an athlete's house, just think of what they have. Examples: Shaq has a bike, Jerry Stackhouse has jet skis/boats, most have ferriais. They all can be just as dangerous as riding a motorcycle.

woman without a team

Jay Williams had a clause in his contract that he wasn't supposed to write a bike, but he did anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue
    Wow. I am just stunned. This has been one of the best years ever in Steelers history and now this happens. I obliviously want him to be alright, but if he won't be able to play football again I will feel really bad. I really enjoyed watching him play and I really feel for Steelers fans because they could have been beginning a dynasty.
    Dynasty I doubt, they can't rig another Superbowl and ruin the NFL reputation. One more rigid Superbowl like last year might as well be wrestling.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31
    Dynasty I doubt, they can't rig another Superbowl and ruin the NFL reputation. One more rigid Superbowl like last year might as well be wrestling.
    Well, maybe if the Colts would do the NFL a favor and WIN the game the next time the NFL tries to rig one for them, maybe you wont be forced to watch the steelers win another superbowl

The NFL did the best to gift-wrap the Colts a playoff win over pittsburgh. Don't blame the steelers because they actually accepted their gift in the superbowl....

Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead Warrior

No two injuries are ever the same. You can get hit the same way Carson Palmer did and not even get a bruise, yet it tore his knees up.

Every person's body is constructed differently, with different strength amounts to bones and tissue, and also tissue could be tighter/looser in everyone.

Just because this happened this way for you, doesn't mean thats the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by rommie
    Even if that is put into place, players are still going to go out and ride without wearing a helment. It's there choice. They know the risk they are taking, and I don't think they need to be told not to take that risk, they are grown men.

Players take risk everyday. If you have ever watched MTV cribs and see an athlete's house, just think of what they have. Examples: Shaq has a bike, Jerry Stackhouse has jet skis/boats, most have ferriais. They all can be just as dangerous as riding a motorcycle.
    Then they are morons.

And yes, they are grown men. If you work for the U.S. govt, you give up all of your rights and all privacy for the privilege to work for the govt. These guys are working for teams that pay them MILLIONS of dollars. So now, they dont just get to choose when they want to take a risk. These guys give up a lot of rights to play in the NFL, but they get a hell of a lot of nice things back in return.

As for the others, they are dangerous, but not as bad as a bike. I was at a family reunion Saturday with over 700 people, and we actually got onto the topic of bike riding.

Supposedly the folk lore (not sure if its true or not, I have wanted to get a bike for a while but never got around to it) is that it is not a matter of "if" you will meet the pavement, but just a matter of "how long" until you do so.

And for the record, Jet Skiing is on the list of prohibited activities, although like I said good agents can argue to get that clause out of the contract.

For the record, Big Ben did have a clause similar to the one I spoke of in his contract.

Word is the Steelers wont be going after it, but it they wanted to make an example out of him, and I sure as hell would after what happened with Winslow, then he could be forced to give back 6 million dollars of his contract.

Yes, players do take risks everyday. But there are certain things that are just common sense. After what happened to Winslow and all the berating he took, you would think other players would take notice and at least attempt to wear a helmet.

On a side note, if I ever need a NFL agent I need to get Steinbrener(or whatever the name of his agent is). Last year Ben insisted he only road harleys and in groups to reduce risks. Now, he gets in an accident in the fastest street legal crotch rocket while driving all alone.... If this is a developement since then, then its whatever, but it seems to convenient since he had released a ton of pics of him on a harley and everything when the fuss was made last summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Well, maybe if the Colts would do the NFL a favor and WIN the game the next time the NFL tries to rig one for them, maybe you wont be forced to watch the steelers win another superbowl

The NFL did the best to gift-wrap the Colts a playoff win over pittsburgh. Don't blame the steelers because they actually accepted their gift in the superbowl....
    QFT

The refs did everything they could to hand us that game, and we STILL lost.

Ben only had the standard "risky activities" clause. The Steelers, and Roethlisberger were well-aware of the risks and there was a lot of controversy about this last summer, too. It would be very-un-Rooney-like for the Steelers to go after Ben in this case.

Its a shame this happened. But this day was probably inevitable and Ben and the Steelers are both very fortunate that the injuries were not life threatening/ career threatening.

Will either side learn its lesson from this? Only time will tell.

There is plenty of blame to go around - for stupidy. Ben for refusing to wear the helmet for a very stupid reason ("Its not illegal"), and the Steelers for not amending Ben's contract to address this risk. But let's face reality, the Steelers were not going to ask Ben to not ride a motorcycle. They might have insisted he wear a helmet but motorcycle riding is very risky activity with or without a helmet.

And as Stryder said, there probably don't need to be laws to prohibit stupidity.