Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 101 to 125 of 125

Thread: Suggestion Box

  1. #101
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Suggestion Box

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hey why don't you guys open a trade suggestions thread and sticky on the main page? I think that way any thread suggestion goes there and not only that but it could probably get more traffic than the current trade proposals side.
    It's something to think about, sure.

  2. #102
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Suggestion Box

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any reason you can't sticky the new rules AND have a 2nd one that is unstickied and bumped occasionally (for a few weeks)?
    You think that's necessary? You may be right, but it hadn't occurred to me....

  3. #103
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,657

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Suggestion Box

    The rules are bolded and even above the sticky threads. Is it just that people don't know they are there? Maybe we could make the title Obnoxious Red for a while.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  4. #104
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,262
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Suggestion Box

    Or just change the title something you know people will click on.

    LeBron: "PACERS HAVE LONG WAY TO GO TO COMPETE WITH HEAT!"

    Then when every single person clicks on that drop some knowledge on 'em.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


  6. #105
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Suggestion Box


  7. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Suggestion Box

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's something to think about, sure.
    Yeah I have seen it on other forums and it works great, we don't really need to open a new thread every time we have a trade proposal all those proposals in one thread should be OK in my opinion.

  8. #107

    Default Re: Suggestion Box

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The rules are bolded and even above the sticky threads. Is it just that people don't know they are there? Maybe we could make the title Obnoxious Red for a while.
    That'd definitely get them read, if you can change the color of thread titles anyway. I definitely scan right past the stickies, if there was a new one in the default navy blue I'd never see it.

  9. #108
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,064

    Default Re: Suggestion Box

    Have you guys ever considered the idea of making a new joint forum for IU and Purdue athletics, or just a generic forum for all Indiana college athletics. I feel like there is too much there for just a single thread for each college + sport.

  10. #109
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Suggestion Box

    That's basically what the Locker Room is supposed to provide, but once those threads came along, everyone started keeping it all in there. But there's no rule that says it has to be contained all in one thread; there can be as many IU or Purdue threads on that board as people care to make.

  11. #110
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,064

    Default Re: Suggestion Box

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's basically what the Locker Room is supposed to provide, but once those threads came along, everyone started keeping it all in there. But there's no rule that says it has to be contained all in one thread; there can be as many IU or Purdue threads on that board as people care to make.
    Oh, well the, in my opinion people on this board need to be less organized!

  12. #111
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,455

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Suggestion Box

    Cut down with the over moderation. That's actual constructive criticism, although I'm sure it will be taken personally and I will receive an infraction for disagreeing with the choices of the moderating team.

    Edit: I'll elaborate a bit: In a forum atmosphere, you can't stop people from making sharply pointed comments and/or snarky commentary. If I make a snarky post, and I receive a snarky message in the "deleted for:" box, then I'm probably going to respond with a reasonable amount of annoyance. Now, I'm sure I will be asked to move this to a PM setting, but I put it here because this is where I think it belongs and I think a worthwhile discussion could be made of it.
    Last edited by cdash; 01-10-2014 at 12:41 PM.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  14. #112
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Suggestion Box

    We're not putting up anymore with people stopping by a thread just to say it's stupid. Apparently you took that post deletion personally, given your attitude and behavior since then.

    If you think doubling-down on posting something that was just deleted by a mod, with an attitude no less, was going to cause anything other than another deleted post and an escalated response to blatant disrespect, you're nuts.

  15. #113
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Suggestion Box

    As for what you edited into the above while I was replying, I'm sorry you took my comment to have snark behind it, but I was being literal. If the thread is stupid to you, then simply move on.

  16. #114
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,455

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Suggestion Box

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We're not putting up anymore with people stopping by a thread just to say it's stupid. Apparently you took that post deletion personally, given your attitude and behavior after that post was deleted.

    If you think doubling-down on posting something that was just deleted by a mod, with an attitude no less, was going to cause anything other than another deleted post and an escalated response to blatant disrespect, you're nuts.
    Oh, I made that second post knowing full well I was going to get an infraction. I don't care, I have three per month before I earn a sabbatical.

    I love your, "with an attitude" comment. Hicks, go read your last post in the vnzla thread. It's clear (and obvious to most everyone who paid attention) that your vendetta against him was personal. When you went on your MAStamper/non-moderating sabbatical you made a few pointed comments that made your stance on him crystal clear. That comment in response to Sollozzo was, as I read it, full of "attitude". You won't like this, and I'm about 90% certain it will earn me my second infraction, but you really need to get some thicker skin about some of this stuff. Your tone in general (as much as it can be relayed via internet posts) is one of dictatorship and "my way or the highway" type of stuff.

    This isn't just about recent events either. This has been happening for years. The "counting thread" debacle from several years back which alienated a group of really nice guys and overall good posters was absurd, in my opinion. The common thread? Someone (I believe, if memory serves, N8R) challenged your authority and you just couldn't handle it. I'm sure you find ways to justify these actions (well, obviously you do), but in that example you would be hard pressed to find anyone besides you who was bothered by what was going on in that thread. It's overmoderation, or it's some personal thing you have when people cross you. By saying this (and, in essence, challenging you), I realize I've earned a spot in your crosshairs. That's fine. I'm just voicing concerns that may bother very few people, or a lot of people, I honestly don't know. It might just be me being an *******. I think this arena is better than PMs to discuss it because I believe in transparency, plus if there ever was a thread where these discussions could take place, it would be this one. We are not derailing any other discussion. Think of it as an ombudsman type of thing.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  18. #115
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,455

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Suggestion Box

    I'll add one more thing: I realize moderating a forum with this many members can be challenging, and I understand that difficult decisions can and must be made. I don't like the vnzla banning, but from his general behavior and tendency to bait other people into the endless circle of debating the same thing in every thread, I can see where it came from. I don't necessarily like how it came about, but can ultimately respect the decision. I'm not being critical for the sake of being critical, and I'm not simply irritated at you, personally, Hicks. I just don't like the "closed door" stuff and wish us, as members of the posting community, could have a say or at least be privy to what the moderators' discussions on certain subjects are. Again, I'm trying to be constructive here.

  19. #116
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Suggestion Box

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh, I made that second post knowing full well I was going to get an infraction. I don't care
    While I'm sure the opinions being expressed are honest, this is largely a farce because it was prompted by you being upset with how I treated your post, nothing more nothing less.

    You blatantly did something against the rules. Go read them again if you don't believe me. And with that being the case, any admin has every right to delete your post. Nothing to apologize for there. When I said to just ignore the thread if you think it's stupid, that was literally all I meant by it, no hidden meaning or attitude attached. So the rest of what followed was you misinterpreting my 'tone', getting angry about it, and then, as you've admitted, you knew damn well that by mouthing off with that second post you made that it would get an infraction and be deleted. So, again, nothing for me to apologize for. That is all on you, and this is what got you in here complaining and criticizing me.

    If that's your standard for over-moderation, that's just insane. You don't like one of the rules, and when it was enforced you got mad and unapologetically broke it again. That's all on you, not me.

    Given all of that, I can just as easily accuse you of being thin-skinned and adopting a 'my way or the highway' attitude yourself.

    As for the rest of this:

    Of course I have negative personal feelings about vnzla81. But guess what? I've had them for years, yet he remained, so your theory is bunk. He earned his exit, as even you can see, an on the heels of his Nth go round of doing something inappropriate (I can explain the infraction, but you'll just criticize it, even though it's legitimate, so why bother), and yet had the nerve to take shots and the site and at me for the Nth time as well. If that's not a good time to go ahead and do what ought to have been done earlier as it is, then there never is a good time short of waiting for him to do something nuclear-bad. Enough.

    As for the 'tone' of my last reply in that thread, I didn't write it with an attitude, and frankly I just don't see what you're talking about. I think this is just a weak attempt to 'equalize' us since I've already criticized your attitude.

    Like everyone else on this planet, my skin will seem thick to some, thin to others, and it will depend on the case and the context on top of that. Specifically regarding the case of deleting your post, that didn't even factor in. That's simply something we discourage on PD, period, and the revised rules made that abundantly clear. Me enforcing them or defending my actions doesn't make it petty, personal, or thin-skinned.

    As for this 'dictator' stuff, any time you are on a privately-run website, you are not entitled to do and say whatever you want, but the powers that be are entitled to ban you or censor you as they see fit. It's just a matter of what their personality and attitudes are that vary from place to place. So, technically, everyone who has a website is a 'dictator' in that regard; they get to call the shots. But beyond that, to suggest all I do is whatever sounds or feels good, everyone else's feelings/thoughts be damned, is false. I didn't do what you would have done, so I'm some jerk dictator with no justifications for his actions. That's basically all this amounts to.

    Look, I've said many times over the years that sometimes I **** up, get it wrong, but at the same time when that happens I own up to it. Could I have handled the counting thread incident better? Yeah. Does that absolve other parties from their roles or responsibilities in what happened? No. Did I have any valid reason to what I did? Yes. Do I think they overreacted much how you feel I overreacted on my end? Yes. We're human beings, we're going to disagree sometimes. It is what it is.

    If you call all of that over-moderation, then so be it, but I disagree, and I don't know if there's anything else to say about it than that.

    As for you being 'in my crosshairs', the only reason I might feel that way is because of how you act when you get mad. You get mean, you get sarcastic, you take shots, and you get offended because someone told you 'no' when you didn't want to be told 'no', and you break rules on purpose because you don't give a ****. That's a red flag to most administrators of a web forum. That should be self-evident as to why. That's not personal, that's basic stuff.

    My reaction to you today in no way supports the concept of me having a bad attitude or tone or being a bad administrator. You just don't like how things are, so I have to be the bad guy. That's all it is.

    And I'll point out that if I were everything you claim I am, then I would have banned you rather than taking the time to give a long and thought-out response. Yet you are not banned, you did not receive two more infractions for two posts you were pretty damn sure would earn you two more, and here I am responding to the post. Maybe, just maybe, you're wrong.

    As for this being in public, I don't have a problem with it. Was the suggestion box the place for it? At first, yes, when you started making it about how bad I am as an admin, no, because then it's not about suggestions it's specifically about criticizing my role on the site, and that's beyond some suggestion. But whatever.

    As for transparency, it's pretty much a standard operating procedure for most all Internet forums for there to be a private administrators-only board to privately discuss forum matters and forum policy. I don't think that needs to change. Sandman is also correct in the V thread when he points out that the amount of time I have taken to explain myself regarding that banishment goes beyond what most admins would do, so I don't think I have a problem in that sense, either.

    If you want a forum that's run more democratically than it currently is, that's just not likely going to happen, and I really don't think there's anything atypical (relative to most forums) about that stance. I created the site, able hosts and maintains the site on the tech side, and the rest of the administrators were all recruited members of the forum because they were all active and well-respected posters in the community. Also, just because things don't always happen the way you approve of, it doesn't mean that we don't think about or listen to other people and their opinions, either. It just means we're not always going to do what someone else thinks should be done.

    And, no, every time we think we see a problem with someone's posting behavior, we're not going to start a public thread announcing our concerns. That's unnecessary in general, and it needlessly humiliates whomever we're worried about. When problems arise, we discuss them, we privately reach out to people about them, and then otherwise we snip or delete posts as we feel is appropriate based on our perceptions of misbehavior/broken rules. Nothing more, nothing less.

    To wrap this up, if I were what you claim I am, I would ban you, I would have banned V years ago, I would not be writing this, and for that matter there would not even be a suggestion box thread or for that matter a feedback board at all, because in that case, I would not give a **** what anyone had to say. Yet here we are.

  20. #117
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,455

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Suggestion Box

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While I'm sure the opinions being expressed are honest, this is largely a farce because it was prompted by you being upset with how I treated your post, nothing more nothing less.
    I'll agree to a certain extent it was a farce. I baited you into it with both of those posts, really. I was irked by the vnzla ban (and this coming from someone who was on the receiving end of many, many of vnzla's barbs), and your hyper-sensitive response to Sollozzo's post. So really, both the deleted post and the reaction were a "farce" to give me an excuse to hop on my soapbox. Like I said, I was willing to take the infraction knowing full well even if I get two, I won't get a third in a month-long span.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You blatantly did something against the rules. Go read them again if you don't believe me. And with that being the case, any admin has every right to delete your post. Nothing to apologize for there. When I said to just ignore the thread if you think it's stupid, that was literally all I meant by it, no hidden meaning or attitude attached. So the rest of what followed was you misinterpreting my 'tone', getting angry about it, and then, as you've admitted, you knew damn well that by mouthing off with that second post you made that it would get an infraction and be deleted. So, again, nothing for me to apologize for. That is all on you, and this is what got you in here complaining and criticizing me.
    I know I did. Your "ignore it if you don't like it" thing irked me a little more, because you could have simply deleted the post and said, "violation of forum rules" but you chose to get snarky with me, so I was a little more aggressive with my second post. Banning me from participating in the thread was an extra nice touch. Not that it really bothers me all that much, because that thread is full of lunacy. Also, I'm not looking for any sort of apology from you. Even if I was, I'm smart enough to know I wouldn't ever get one.
    [/QUOTE]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If that's your standard for over-moderation, that's just insane. You don't like one of the rules, and when it was enforced you got mad and unapologetically broke it again. That's all on you, not me.
    Oversimplifying a bit, aren't we? Also, are you insinuating that I'm insane? If I did the same to you, would I receive an infraction? I rather doubt it, but your tender underbelly is starting to show.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Given all of that, I can just as easily accuse you of being thin-skinned and adopting a 'my way or the highway' attitude yourself.
    You are more than welcome to do so. I don't think you will find a great deal of evidence to support the "my way or the highway" aspect, seeing as how I have absolutely no power here, but you are free to think what you like.[/QUOTE]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As for the rest of this:

    Of course I have negative personal feelings about vnzla81. But guess what? I've had them for years, yet he remained, so your theory is bunk. He earned his exit, as even you can see, an on the heels of his Nth go round of doing something inappropriate (I can explain the infraction, but you'll just criticize it, even though it's legitimate, so why bother), and yet had the nerve to take shots and the site and at me for the Nth time as well. If that's not a good time to go ahead and do what ought to have been done earlier as it is, then there never is a good time short of waiting for him to do something nuclear-bad. Enough.
    Just because you have a personal vendetta and have had one for years does not debunk anything, Hicks. Rarely is the case where someone has a personal vendetta and can act immediately upon it, or at least someone in a position or "power" over another. You needed those years of your growing vendetta to make a case against him. As you said in the other thread, he was an expert at toeing the line. I agree, he earned his exit by constantly pissing in your face, and openly defying the rules you guys had laid out for him. I think we all knew once he was banned the first time how he would react, and that it was just a matter of time before his ban became permanent. I don't like that it ever got to this point, and honestly, if you had stayed away from moderating, I think vnzla would be here still, and I don't think he would have been as openly antagonistic as he was the past several months. That's not an indictment only on you, as obviously vnzla, being the master of pressing buttons that he was, played an equally key role in a situation where neither of you was going to back down.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As for the 'tone' of my last reply in that thread, I didn't write it with an attitude, and frankly I just don't see what you're talking about. I think this is just a weak attempt to 'equalize' us since I've already criticized your attitude.

    Like everyone else on this planet, my skin will seem thick to some, thin to others, and it will depend on the case and the context on top of that. Specifically regarding the case of deleting your post, that didn't even factor in. That's simply something we discourage on PD, period, and the revised rules made that abundantly clear. Me enforcing them or defending my actions doesn't make it petty, personal, or thin-skinned.
    You might not have written it with an attitude. That's the ugly of the internet. But I can tell you it came off that way, whether it was your intention or not. I'm not trying to equalize anything. I know my attitude can and does rub people the wrong way on here. I would wager that 90% of the time my aim is not to be an *******, but realize it can and does come off that way. It's a self-awareness that I have, and accept as part of posting on the internet. Sometimes I think that line is blurred for you. You seem to take stuff very personally. Just my opinion, of course. And let's drop the deleted post stuff--that was just a vehicle for this conversation (which I think is, or will be, productive, although it may not be enjoyable).

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As for this 'dictator' stuff, any time you are on a privately-run website, you are not entitled to do and say whatever you want, but the powers that be are entitled to ban you or censor you as they see fit. It's just a matter of what their personality and attitudes are that vary from place to place. So, technically, everyone who has a website is a 'dictator' in that regard; they get to call the shots. But beyond that, to suggest all I do is whatever sounds or feels good, everyone else's feelings/thoughts be damned, is false. I didn't do what you would have done, so I'm some jerk dictator with no justifications for his actions. That's basically all this amounts to.
    Dictator was perhaps a strong adjective to use there. I apologize for that. But you definitely seem to relish the fact that you have power that others don't. No, we handle things in different ways. Not saying either one is better than the other, but obviously, like anyone else, I'm going to feel that my way is the superior way because, well, it's the way I do things and I handle people and difficult situations in a certain way that has been met with success. For the record, I did not call you a jerk, and I think I even acknowledged that you have justifications for your actions and have conceded some of them, so let's cut the hyperbole down a notch, shall we?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Look, I've said many times over the years that sometimes I **** up, get it wrong, but at the same time when that happens I own up to it. Could I have handled the counting thread incident better? Yeah. Does that absolve other parties from their roles or responsibilities in what happened? No. Did I have any valid reason to what I did? Yes. Do I think they overreacted much how you feel I overreacted on my end? Yes. We're human beings, we're going to disagree sometimes. It is what it is.

    If you call all of that over-moderation, then so be it, but I disagree, and I don't know if there's anything else to say about it than that.
    I've honestly never seen you admit that you've ****ed up, or at least not about moderating issues. Obviously that's not saying you haven't, but I had never seen it, and I can only go by the information I possess. I do think that was over-moderation, yes. You disagree, as I suspected you would, but there has never really been a place to talk about stuff like this, which is part of the reason I wanted it out in the open and initiated this. I don't know if you give this stuff all that much thought or how your moderating team works. For all I know, they just ride along with what you say. It all happens behind the scenes. Obviously, I'm not a mod so I am not privy to that, and I'm not saying I should be, but I think it's healthy to be challenged sometimes. People need to be called out from time to time. Say what you want about vnzla, but he spoke his mind and after my initial irritation with it, I came to respect that part and kind of brush over some of his other antics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As for you being 'in my crosshairs', the only reason I might feel that way is because of how you act when you get mad. You get mean, you get sarcastic, you take shots, and you get offended because someone told you 'no' when you didn't want to be told 'no', and you break rules on purpose because you don't give a ****. That's a red flag to most administrators of a web forum. That should be self-evident as to why. That's not personal, that's basic stuff.

    My reaction to you today in no way supports the concept of me having a bad attitude or tone or being a bad administrator. You just don't like how things are, so I have to be the bad guy. That's all it is.
    How I act when I get mad? I took one shot and then took it here, and I think this is a fairly healthy discussion. You probably don't think so, but we'll just disagree about that too. I am always sarcastic, and I will take shots at people. It happens. It's a forum. I've had plenty of them lobbed my way, too. It's part of dishing it out: I know I'm going to get them back, and prepare myself accordingly. I never said you were a bad administrator. You are getting a little dramatic here. In fact, I think I sent you a PM a year or two ago (can't remember when, exactly) where I apologized to you for being an ******* at a time when I clearly was, and then commended you on how you ran this site. I can still be critical of certain aspects of you how do it, and I think over-moderation is one of those.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And I'll point out that if I were everything you claim I am, then I would have banned you rather than taking the time to give a long and thought-out response. Yet you are not banned, you did not receive two more infractions for two posts you were pretty damn sure would earn you two more, and here I am responding to the post. Maybe, just maybe, you're wrong.
    You and I both know you don't have anything you can ban me for. I have (I think) 7 total infractions in 4 years, with 3 of them coming within one 20 minute period that resulted in my being banned for a month. I took issue with that because to me, logically, it should have been one infraction for the whole episode (I repeated the same thing three separate times in three separate posts) and a sternly worded PM, as at the time those were my first three infractions I believe. You are taking what I'm saying, and mixing in a fair amount of hyperbole. No need. Also, I knew I wouldn't get infractions for those posts. That's why I put it in there. If you had given me an infraction for it, you would have just proven my point. We both know that wasn't going to happen. Maybe I am wrong, but maybe you are too. Maybe, just maybe, there's a middle ground here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As for this being in public, I don't have a problem with it. Was the suggestion box the place for it? At first, yes, when you started making it about how bad I am as an admin, no, because then it's not about suggestions it's specifically about criticizing my role on the site, and that's beyond some suggestion. But whatever.

    As for transparency, it's pretty much a standard operating procedure for most all Internet forums for there to be a private administrators-only board to privately discuss forum matters and forum policy. I don't think that needs to change. Sandman is also correct in the V thread when he points out that the amount of time I have taken to explain myself regarding that banishment goes beyond what most admins would do, so I don't think I have a problem in that sense, either.
    I never once said you were a bad admin. I said I disagreed with the way you handle things sometimes and think you overmoderate at times. You took it as an attack. Obviously, there has to be a private place for the admins to discuss things. I'm not challenging that or insinuating that this be some sort of democracy, because that is lunacy. I noticed able (another mod I feel overmoderates at times) made a pointed reference in the vnzla thread about that, and it's not what I meant. I just think getting some perspective from the moderating team when rules change or a prolific poster gets banned deserves some sort of explanation, and due to your (admitted) personal vendetta against vnzla, I didn't really think you were the best person to be the spokesperson for the group. I'm not going to pat you on the back for doing something that I think is expected in your duties though. Had Sollozzo never made the post about it, it obviously never would have been brought up until somebody else noticed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you want a forum that's run more democratically than it currently is, that's just not likely going to happen, and I really don't think there's anything atypical (relative to most forums) about that stance. I created the site, able hosts and maintains the site on the tech side, and the rest of the administrators were all recruited members of the forum because they were all active and well-respected posters in the community. Also, just because things don't always happen the way you approve of, it doesn't mean that we don't think about or listen to other people and their opinions, either. It just means we're not always going to do what someone else thinks should be done.
    No **** it's not going to happen. Probably a poor choice of words on my part again to use the word "democracy". This whole operation is about getting you to listen to other people and their opinions. These are my opinions. I don't expect my word to be taken for gospel, I just wanted to voice some concerns that I think other members have maybe thought from time to time. Or maybe they haven't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And, no, every time we think we see a problem with someone's posting behavior, we're not going to start a public thread announcing our concerns. That's unnecessary in general, and it needlessly humiliates whomever we're worried about. When problems arise, we discuss them, we privately reach out to people about them, and then otherwise we snip or delete posts as we feel is appropriate based on our perceptions of misbehavior/broken rules. Nothing more, nothing less.
    To wrap this up, if I were what you claim I am, I would ban you, I would have banned V years ago, I would not be writing this, and for that matter there would not even be a suggestion box thread or for that matter a feedback board at all, because in that case, I would not give a **** what anyone had to say. Yet here we are.
    I'm not claiming you are anything, Hicks. You are taking what I (attempted, possibly poorly) to portay as constructive criticism and making yourself appear to be some sort of victim here. I know you aren't going to ban me. I know you wanted to ban V years ago, by your own admission. That's not the point. I just wanted to voice some concerns I had. I don't particularly appreciate micromanaging bosses, and that's how you come across. You are in an obvious position of power, and certainly no one forgets it. I think you nip things in the bud before they are ever really a problem, and in doing so, sometimes you create a bigger mess than would have occurred if you had simply let things run their course. Does that make you a bad admin? Nope. It's admirable that you care enough about this board and this community that you are willing to go to such lengths to make it an inviting place. But you aren't above criticism either. Nor am I for my posting habits, and nor am I pretending to be.

  21. #118
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Thumbs down Re: Suggestion Box

    So you deliberately broke the rules, and because you misinterpreted my comment to read into snark that wasn't there, copped an attitude publicly and privately, told me you don't care, baited me into possibly giving you more infractions to try to make me look bad, and that is your pretense for having an open and honest conversation about admin/forum policy? You went about this completely the wrong way, and I have no respect for that. I'm not going to keep the discussion going due to your deceitful and rude methods. It overshadows everything else you're trying to say.

    You basically strike me as someone who does what he wants as long as he's okay with it, regardless of what anyone with authority thinks. I can't stop you from having that mentality, but don't expect me to respect you when you act this way. Unbelievable.

  22. #119
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,455

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Suggestion Box

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So you deliberately broke the rules, and because you misinterpreted my comment to read into snark that wasn't there, copped an attitude publicly and privately, told me you don't care, baited me into possibly giving you more infractions to try to make me look bad, and that is your pretense for having an open and honest conversation about admin/forum policy? You went about this completely the wrong way, and I have no respect for that. I'm not going to keep the discussion going due to your deceitful and rude methods. It overshadows everything else you're trying to say.

    You basically strike me as someone who does what he wants as long as he's okay with it, regardless of what anyone with authority thinks. I can't stop you from having that mentality, but don't expect me to respect you when you act this way. Unbelievable.
    Right. Pretty much what I expected. You focus on the negative to negate any potential of wrongdoing on your part, make me out to be some sort of crazed out of line poster, and ignore anything positive from the discussion. Hicks, come on. Engage in the dialogue and try to be constructive. You don't have to respect how it got here, but you and I both know I have legitimate points. Paint me as the person wearing the black hat, I don't mind. But as someone in a leadership position...act like it instead of dismissing anything critical of you.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  24. #120
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,292

    Default Re: Suggestion Box

    I have a suggestion. Maybe it will lighten things up.

    Just wondering if cdash could update his avatar. Calbert Cheaney isn't a good enough player to still be on an avatar in 2014. Also, Bob Knight is more likely to visit West Lafayette wearing a black & gold sweater than visit Bloomington in a red one. It's also pretty unfair to be reminded of IU when you're an old Purdue fan.

  25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  26. #121

  27. #122
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,700

    Default Re: Suggestion Box

    magic i will try and implement that over the weekend

    thanks
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  28. #123
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,577

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Suggestion Box

    Not really a big deal, but the sports teams logos that appear under your username and avatar, some of the logos need to be updated.

    Miami Dolphins, Jacksonville Jaguars, Minnesota Vikings, Detroit Lions (I think)

    Also, when you put your cursor over a team logo it used to say the team's name, now it just says sports logos.

    Another thing when you have PD opened up on your browser, where it shows the tab, to the left there is an icon that is kind of like a small logo for the website. It used to have a small "PD" but now it's back to the vBulletin logo

    Just being nit-picky here, to be honest, it doesn't really matter if these changes happen or not
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  29. #124
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,700

    Default Re: Suggestion Box

    @ Lord, those are all the fault of the VB upgrade/update, as usual it breaks more than it fixes, we are working on that but it is low on the priority totem.
    sorry


    @ Cdash, better late then never, it is the first time i could stomach your posts completely, a few small facts, 1: vnzla had more chances then anyone will ever get again. 2. he was a arse about it and also got on my bad side, now you have to wonder, whether you can risk being on Hicks' bad side, but you sure as hell don't want to be on mine and think of the fact i'm a registered Grump! Please stoptrying to make Hicks look bad, just because you missed it or didn't see it don't mean he don't owe up, many a ban here has been reversed after some words among admins, some of mine even! (hrumph)
    this is a community with many many posters from very very different backgrounds, to you a joke is a deep insult to another and "cute" remarks on the forum understood by one group may lead to bloodshed in other countries and that is the main part most of the "sharper" posters totally forget.
    This is a fan-forum kept running by volunteers and paid for by volunteers, for over 10 years we have kept you free of advertising and all kinds of nasty tracking thingies, and charges in any kind of way so you can expect that since you are playing with my ball, you **** me off enough i can take it and go home with it, a relative simple principle, you can't demand of me to stay up all night watching you play with my ball because you aint got a home to go to now can you ?

    All we are saying in a roundabout way is play nice and when we pm people, or delete posts we are trying to educate you in what is considered not nice and if that don't help we throw an infraction your way and if you don't get it even afer that you run the risk of having time off, if that happens and you come back and again don't get it, you are asking to have your access removed, see what happens if you break the law 3 times in certain states, or to keep it simply; if you dance on the table every time you enter the library, how long before they revoke access and call the cops on you ?

    Or as the famous MR said, you gotta think to yourself, do i feel lucky
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  30. The Following User Says Thank You to able For This Useful Post:


  31. #125
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,577

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Suggestion Box

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @ Lord, those are all the fault of the VB upgrade/update, as usual it breaks more than it fixes, we are working on that but it is low on the priority totem.
    sorry


    @ Cdash, better late then never, it is the first time i could stomach your posts completely, a few small facts, 1: vnzla had more chances then anyone will ever get again. 2. he was a arse about it and also got on my bad side, now you have to wonder, whether you can risk being on Hicks' bad side, but you sure as hell don't want to be on mine and think of the fact i'm a registered Grump! Please stoptrying to make Hicks look bad, just because you missed it or didn't see it don't mean he don't owe up, many a ban here has been reversed after some words among admins, some of mine even! (hrumph)
    this is a community with many many posters from very very different backgrounds, to you a joke is a deep insult to another and "cute" remarks on the forum understood by one group may lead to bloodshed in other countries and that is the main part most of the "sharper" posters totally forget.
    This is a fan-forum kept running by volunteers and paid for by volunteers, for over 10 years we have kept you free of advertising and all kinds of nasty tracking thingies, and charges in any kind of way so you can expect that since you are playing with my ball, you **** me off enough i can take it and go home with it, a relative simple principle, you can't demand of me to stay up all night watching you play with my ball because you aint got a home to go to now can you ?

    All we are saying in a roundabout way is play nice and when we pm people, or delete posts we are trying to educate you in what is considered not nice and if that don't help we throw an infraction your way and if you don't get it even afer that you run the risk of having time off, if that happens and you come back and again don't get it, you are asking to have your access removed, see what happens if you break the law 3 times in certain states, or to keep it simply; if you dance on the table every time you enter the library, how long before they revoke access and call the cops on you ?

    Or as the famous MR said, you gotta think to yourself, do i feel lucky
    That's what I thought. It's no biggie, though
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •