Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More on the Larry Brown situation- Zeke speaks.

Default More on the Larry Brown situation- Zeke speaks.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/67129.htm

ZEKE SPEAKS
    KNICKS PREZ BREAKS SILENCE; NO HINT OF BACKING BROWN

By MARC BERMAN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 7, 2006 -- ORLANDO - The Knicks' soap opera officially hit Orlando last night as Isiah Thomas finally broke his silence since reports surfaced that owner James Dolan is seeking a divorce from Larry Brown.
    And the Knicks president did absolutely nothing yesterday to quash those reports.

Intercepted as he walked toward the Milkhouse Arena inside the Disney Wide World of Sports, coach-in-waiting Thomas spoke for about 30 seconds to greet four Knicks beat writers and a Post photographer. And it was the most telling 30 seconds since the Brown Watch began more than three weeks ago.

There wasn't the slightest hint of a vote of confidence.

"It's the same as we said before," Thomas said. "We won't comment on any of the reports that are out there. We're just here to make sure we do our work draft-wise and try to have another successful draft."

Then, when asked directly if his April 20 edict that Brown will be back still holds true, Thomas smiled sheepishly, shrugged slightly, waved and said, "See you guys later."

Yes, it is later for the lame-duck Brown.

Isiah was whisked away by VP of publicity Jonathan Supranowitz, who was on hand to shield Thomas from the media. Oh yes, the Knicks' soap opera officially hit Orlando.

Thomas' remarks to reporters were more than he said to Brown all of yesterday, as the two did not cross each other's paths or speak.

After giving three roadside interviews last week near the Westchester practice facility, Brown appears to be under a gag order in Orlando. The organization wasn't pleased Brown spoke at all last week.

"I know you have a job, but I'm not allowed. I don't have anything to say," Brown said upon arriving.

When asked if he's ready to confront Isiah, the suntanned Brown said, "No. It's not my place."

Brown showed up one hour before last night's start of the four-day pre-draft camp, while Thomas arrived 15 minutes late.

After the workouts, Brown, before dodging into his rental car, said, "C'mon guys. It's not the time. I feel bad I can't talk to you. I apologize."

Minutes after Brown sped off, Thomas arrived in the parking lot and huddled for several minutes with Wolves personnel director Jim Stack, Isiah's assistant with the Pacers who is expected to be a Knicks assistant candidate once Isiah takes the helm.

Brown and Thomas were the two best-dressed people at the workouts. Brown wore a white golf shirt and pinstriped black slacks. Thomas wore a pinstriped cream dress shirt and brown-colored slacks.

------------------------------
    EDIT; It's about time they started giving us this information! What I really want to know though is what Walsh and Carlisle were wearing.
    ------------------------------

During the 90-minute drill session in which 60 draft candidates participated, Brown sat courtside with his former boss, Indiana president Donnie Walsh. Halfway through, Brown took a seat and chatted with Pacers coach Rick Carlisle. Meanwhile, Thomas was far away, up in the fourth-from-last row of the bleachers, sitting alongside Knicks scout Gerald Madkins.

Brown did not appear to come into contact with any of the 10 Knicks scouts on hand. Brown drove to the complex alone. After the session, Brown was swarmed by well-wishers, including longtime friend Doug Moe, a Nuggets assistant, who playfully hugged Brown and dragged him away with the reporters in tow.

After his conference with Brown, Walsh said, "I know nothing. I'm not talking about that (stuff)."

Brown knew it would be painfully awkward, but he was ordered to Orlando, along with assistant Herb Williams, by Knicks brass. Brown's assistants he brought in from Detroit - Phil Ford, Dave Hanners and Brendan O'Connor - were not invited. There are indications Brown could go home after today's games. Brown has said Thomas hasn't addressed the topic of his future. They've only talked about workouts. Now it's unclear if they're talking at all.

As team GMs, scouts and coaches entered the facility, they all noticed the gaggle of Knicks writers staked out in front and were amused at the circus, but some admitted they were following every detail through newspaper accounts. The Knicks have become not only the laughingstock of the regular season, but the off-season, too, because of their disgraceful treatment of Brown.

Warriors GM Chris Mullin said he had no plans to ask permission to speak with Brown. Brown is close to the Warriors owner, Chris Cohan, his Hamptons neighbor.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: More on the Larry Brown situation- Zeke speaks.

Let the rumors begin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avoiding the obvious...........
    Herb to be hired as a big-man coach by the Pacers??
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

They keep saying Donnie will retire after next season. There will be changes in the front office and how long will Brown want to coach?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by RWB
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They keep saying Donnie will retire after next season. There will be changes in the front office and how long will Brown want to coach?

Larry "I never met a player I didn't wanna trade" Brown as GM????
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    Let the rumors begin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avoiding the obvious...........
    Herb to be hired as a big-man coach by the Pacers??
    That'd be just fine with me. And yes, I'm avoiding the obvious, cause I don't want Jay to come after me.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    During the 90-minute drill session in which 60 draft candidates participated, Brown sat courtside with his former boss, Indiana president Donnie Walsh. Halfway through, Brown took a seat and chatted with Pacers coach Rick Carlisle. Meanwhile, Thomas was far away, up in the fourth-from-last row of the bleachers, sitting alongside Knicks scout Gerald Madkins.
    Walsh to Brown: "Larry, if Rick can get us into the conference finals this year do you think you can hold onto this Knick job long enough to be fired just in time to win us a championship in 08? I mean, it worked in Detroit ...."

Brown to Carlisle: "So Rick ... what do you think the odds are of you guys making the ECF this coming season?"

"Rick is moving into the front office at his own choosing? That's interesting to know, Donnie"

"So Rick, are you really wanting to coach this team next year or are you thinking of going ahead and taking that front office job? I always liked Indiana and coaching the Pacers is a dream job...."

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

this has suddenly become a "Caption this" thread...........

Okey Doke

Donnie to Larry........"I can absolutely promise you we will not trade for Ivy"

Larry to Rick............" Ok, so where do I get a copy of The Hick to English Dictionary ?"

Um, I hate to take this off track but I have a real question.

Where the F is Larry Bird? He better be at this thing. There is no way the guy should be backpacking through Europe during the regular season to scout players we may never have contact with but then not go in the off-season to a pre-draft camp to see players who are going to be drafted.

I won't point out the obvious that Walsh is still there, still involved in picking players.

G.M. by group continues on....

Sports Logo

I hope that Brown sticks to his guns and makes Dolan pay the full contract that he is owed.

The icing on the cake would be to watch Zeke finish off the Knicks and bury them into the sand.

On a related note....doesn't the Bulls have the right to swap 1st round picks in 2008 with the Knicks ( on top of getting the 1st round pick this year )?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck

Where the F is Larry Bird? He better be at this thing. There is no way the guy should be backpacking through Europe during the regular season to scout players we may never have contact with but then not go in the off-season to a pre-draft camp to see players who are going to be drafted.

I won't point out the obvious that Walsh is still there, still involved in picking players.

Based off of his track record...I would much rather have Donnie pick who we will draft rather then Bird.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

We need to hire a PI to get to the bottom of who's really doing what.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    Based off of his track record...I would much rather have Donnie pick who we will draft rather then Bird.
    Bird's been around for Danny and Harrison altho who actually made the call is anybody's guess.

CableKC, I don't get how you could have any opinion about's Bird's track record..yet...

DW has drafted some good players and he's drafted some duds. I'm not sure if Bird has done anything (draftwise) but if he has, it would be Harrison and Granger. I wouldn't call that a bad track record.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Better than the early-90's trio of McCloud, Sealy, and Haskins, which only produced one rotation player (and he didn't really crack anybody's rotation until after he was traded.)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    And yes, I'm avoiding the obvious, cause I don't want Jay to come after me.
    Oh goodie!! Let's teach David to have four turnovers and three fouls in just the first six minutes of the first quarter.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Bird's been around for Danny and Harrison altho who actually made the call is anybody's guess.

CableKC, I don't get how you could have any opinion about's Bird's track record..yet...

DW has drafted some good players and he's drafted some duds. I'm not sure if Bird has done anything (draftwise) but if he has, it would be Harrison and Granger. I wouldn't call that a bad track record.

-Bball
    When I was referring to "his track record"....I was referring to Walsh's track record. Color me impressed by that recent post on Walsh's draft history. Granted.....the Bender move wasn't the greatest and seemed logical at the time....but he still has a decent batting average.

As you said.....we have no idea ( when it comes to drafting ) who is pulling the strings. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on Granger....when it came to drafting him....even if he did make the final decision....it didn't take a "Draft expert" to know that at the 16th pick ( or was it 17th pick ) that he was a "no-brainer".

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    Oh goodie!! Let's teach David to have four turnovers and three fouls in just the first six minutes of the first quarter.
    So you don't want him to improve?

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    So you don't want him to improve?

Where the F is Larry Bird?
    Decency denies so many funny replies.

Maybe I'm just slow, but did I miss something? Why are we talking about Carlisle taking a front-office job?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Btw, according to SI, Larry Bird was there:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ndo/index.html

My vote would be to send Bird off to Europe.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom
    Btw, according to SI, Larry Bird was there:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ndo/index.html

Well at least that makes me feel better.

My vote would be to send Walsh off to retirement and see what Bird can do because it's supposedly coming sooner or later. Might as well make it sooner at this point because the GM by Committee plan is not working.

If Bird is great, then perfect... the sooner he starts on his own the better. If Bird sucks, then we don't waste any more of this time in purgatory and then waste a few more years under Bird before the axe falls.

Bird should not be held accountable for this period of time where no one knows exactly what his role is (probably including Bird himself). Bird is already garnering some boos and he doesn't even have the keys yet. Give the man the keys and let him sink or swim (or 'fly' as the case may be) on his own merits. Not on committee decisions or decisions that he had nothing to do with.

One voice... one vision...

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    My vote would be to send Walsh off to retirement and see what Bird can do because it's supposedly coming sooner or later. Might as well make it sooner at this point because the GM by Committee plan is not working.

If Bird is great, then perfect... the sooner he starts on his own the better. If Bird sucks, then we don't waste any more of this time in purgatory and then waste a few more years under Bird before the axe falls.

Bird should not be held accountable for this period of time where no one knows exactly what his role is (probably including Bird himself). Bird is already garnering some boos and he doesn't even have the keys yet. Give the man the keys and let him sink or swim (or 'fly' as the case may be) on his own merits. Not on committee decisions or decisions that he had nothing to do with.

One voice... one vision...

-Bball
    One goal?

Oooh. Too Soon?