Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orlando Sentinel} Big Ben's Piston time may be up

Default Orlando Sentinel} Big Ben's Piston time may be up

Big Ben's Piston time may be up
    Published June 4, 2006

MIAMI -- There is a reason -- a good reason -- Ben Wallace recently hired high-powered agent Arn Tellem to represent him this summer in free agency.

Wallace wants to find his true worth.

And surprisingly, the Detroit Pistons might not be the team to provide that opportunity.

In a league struggling to find enough decent centers and with teams dying to build a championship contender, someone will be willing to break the bank for Wallace.

Wallace might be a four-time Defensive Player of the Year, hailed as the anchor to the amazing run the Pistons have made in the past three seasons, but there is nothing certain about his re-signing in Detroit.

For a guy who never was drafted, signed for the minimum with the Washington Wizards, was traded to the Orlando Magic for Ike Austin and later found fame and fortune in Detroit, the world doesn't always turn smoothly.

"Nothing in this league is automatic,'' Wallace said last week in Miami when asked about his pending free agency. "I was never supposed to leave Washington. I was supposed to retire in Orlando.

"Strange things happen. It's not automatic [that he will re-sign in Detroit]. You just never know what might happen.''

The Pistons and the city of Detroit love Wallace and his blue-collar work ethic -- he has become a folk hero there -- but is it wise for the Pistons to give him one of those maximum contracts (six years, $132 million)?

Is it wise to commit so much to a player who is not involved in the offense, who relies so much on pure athleticism and whose athleticism will start diminishing soon (he turns 32 in September)?

It's a quandary the Pistons will face July 1 when he officially becomes a free agent.

Yet he is the only star among a generally weak free-agent crop, making him an attractive alternative this summer for anyone with major room under the salary cap.

Only the Chicago Bulls, Atlanta Hawks, Toronto Raptors and Charlotte Bobcats would be able to clear enough space to afford him, but others could acquire him with a sign-and-trade deal, which might interest the Pistons.
    "You have to listen to hear what opportunities are out there,'' Wallace said. "You have to weigh your options.

"And it's not always just about money. It's about having the opportunity to do what you're comfortable doing.''

Imagine what the centerless Bulls and Coach Scott Skiles could do if they signed Wallace, putting him in the midst of all their young, talented perimeter players. They might be playing next season in the NBA Finals.

Atlanta will find him attractive, too, bringing Wallace back toward his roots in Alabama, where his family can see him shine every game, where he could anchor a budding team.

And what better way for Toronto to regain its NBA luster than by putting Wallace between young forwards Chris Bosh and Charlie Villanueva.

Either way, Wallace has found himself in a very enviable situation, but the Pistons are in a sticky one.

Wallace just completed the six-year, $30 million contract he signed when he left the Magic, but this summer, he will sign another contract that could be three times as large.

Like many that win championships or contend seriously, the salary structure of the Pistons is changing rapidly. By keeping Wallace, they almost certainly will be paying the luxury tax for many years.

Not only that, the contract of point guard Chauncey Billups will be up for renewal after the upcoming season or the one after that.

Re-signing Wallace, at his price, isn't as certain as it would be if this was just a basketball decision.

It was a brilliant decision for the Pistons to have him the past six seasons -- prime years of his wonderful career.

It might not be the same with the next six years.
    Orlando Sentinel

Why Not Us ?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Orlando Sentinel} Big Ben's Piston time may be up

It'll likely be a sign-and-trade if Ben leaves, and Dumars has hinted that he's guarenteed to Ben that he'll make as much as he can get, which leads me to believe that if it isn't with us, Dumars will write a big deal out to Ben himself and ship him off to a team more willing to pay it.

And I really don't think Chicago will pay Ben to team with chandler for the most expensive 10ppg frontcourt in history. I think their interest in him died when they gave chandler to do the same job they'd be asking ben to do. They'd be paying 150 million to two guys to do the exact same job.

I'd love for Ben to be a Piston for life, but I'm also realistic.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

If those teams are in the bidding for Big Ben, then they won't be in the bidding for Peja.

Works for me.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It'll likely be a sign-an-trad eif Ben leaves, and Dumars has inted that he's guarenteed ben that he'll make as mucha s he can get, which leads me to believe that if it isnt with us, Dumars will write a big deal out to Ben himself and ship him off to a team more willing to pay it.
    Wow, that's by far the least readable post Kstat's ever written.

Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    Wow, that's by far the least readable post Kstat's ever written.

It's my last day on the bottle, I swear.....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

maximum contracts (six years, $132 million)

Almost 32.....

Nahhhhhh

3 years @ 10-15 mill each and thats all Ben baby and thats a big iff

four-time Defensive Player of the Year

Surely that says more about the league the Wallace and no disrepect is intended

I doubt Dumas will commit, he has worked hard to get this team working well and working under or near the cap

Back to the age old question... is the money worth it to Ben and how much is Ben worth to any given team

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Quote Originally Posted by GO!!!!!

Back to the age old question... is the money worth it to Ben and how much is Ben worth to any given team
    Ben's achieved more than any player of his beginnings has in NBA history.

If Ben feels that he deserves a serious raise, god bless him. He's more than earned it.

Don't forget ben could have opted out of his cheap conrtact 2 years ago and chose to honor it. He could have held us hostage for a king's ransom. Now its time for him to get paid.

I don't want to lose Ben, but if he leaves because another team offers him more money, he's earned my blessing.

It's my last day on the bottle, I swear.....
    Looks like you chose the wrong day to quit drinking...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My first thought was, "would you be against bringing him to Indiana?"

Then I read that he'll get a estimated $132 mil and my second thought was something along the lines of "no way!"
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy
    My first thought was, "would you be against bringing him to Indiana?"

Then I read that he'll get a estimated $132 mil and my second thought was something along the lines of "no way!"

If Ben doesnt go to Detroit, he'll be going to a place both Ben and Joe will agree on, because it'll be for a lot more than the MLE. Chicago probably wont give ben what he wants, and its doubtful he wants to go to a lottery team.

Toronto might be an option, but with Bosh's impending max deal? They may be scared of locking too many guys up to huge contracts.

It's highly doubtful that ben will get 6 years and 132, but 4 years and $90 might be possible.

Mood

that's even worse, on a per year basis. of course, it doesn't work like that, so...

either way, more $$ than I'd want to spend on him.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy
    that's even worse, on a per year basis. of course, it doesn't work like that, so...

either way, more $$ than I'd want to spend on him.
    Most people would agree with you.

But all it takes is one GM to think he's the missing piece to a championship, be it sacramento, the clippers, whatever.

Frankly I'd love to have Ben back at $8-9 million per season, but that might be a pipe dream.

haha sacramento....imagine the headlines

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg44
    haha sacramento....imagine the headlines
    I'd pay money to see Ben and ROn on the same team....

Mood

I think Detroit will find a way to keep him for way less than the max. He'll prolly get a 4 year deal for around 75 mill.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

I'd pay money to see Ben and ROn on the same team....
    Same here.

I can picture the headlines now...

There's a picture of Ben shoving Ron in the throat (on that fateful night), with the headline TEAMMATES? in big bold letters.

But they really would be fun to watch. They would have to be one of the best defensive combos in NBA history, if not the best. They'd just need the other 3 positions to score, and that team would be set.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck
    Same here.

I can picture the headlines now...

There's a picture of Ben shoving Ron in the throat (on that fateful night), with the headline TEAMMATES? in big bold letters.

But they really would be fun to watch. They would have to be one of the best defensive combos in NBA history, if not the best. They'd just need the other 3 positions to score, and that team would be set.
    Ron's not too shabby on the offensive end.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

I really don't think Ben will even get 4/$75M. Most GMs see how other teams have really limited their future player acquisitions by paying out big dollars for one or two players.

I figure Ben will re-sign with Detroit for about 4/$45M. I'd love it if they lose him to another team without any compensation, but it just isn't going to happen. Joe is too smart for that.

Ben's achieved more than any player of his beginnings has in NBA history.

If Ben feels that he deserves a serious raise, god bless him. He's more than earned it.

Don't forget ben could have opted out of his cheap conrtact 2 years ago and chose to honor it. He could have held us hostage for a king's ransom. Now its time for him to get paid.

I don't want to lose Ben, but if he leaves because another team offers him more money, he's earned my blessing.

I'm afraid there is a different angle at which this can be viewed... Has Wallace's so called honour cost him and his team....

If he resigned with the pistons @ age 30 with a new contract for 4 years @ 15 Mill and the Pistons had to pay an extra 5 Mill per year because there over the cap, wouldn’t they be better of then if he walked now two years later for nothing, sure he gets his contract of 100 Mil but he has to play for Utah till 2012

I'm not getting your honour approach....

some one is going to get done over regardless unless Joe's going to commit 100 Mill him self to a 38 year old undersized centre, and if that’s the case why wouldn’t he have done it two years ago when it made more sense in the long run for everyone except D Sterling
    >>
    Depending on how this unfolds, maybe the great Joe D never planned to resign an ageing Ben Wallace and has played a great hand….

Player
    06-07
    07-08
    08-09
    09-10
    10-11
    11-12
    12-13
    Rasheed Wallace
    --
    --
    --
    --
    Richard Hamilton
    --
    --
    --
    Tayshaun Prince
    --
    --
    Chauncey Billups
    --
    --
    --
    --
    --
    Antonio McDyess
    --
    --
    --
    --
    Dale Davis
    --
    --
    --
    --
    --
    --
    Maurice Evans
    --
    --
    --
    --
    --
    Carlos Delfino
    --
    --
    --
    --
    Jason Maxiell
    --
    --
    --
    Alex Acker
    --
    --
    --
    --
    --
    --
    Amir Johnson
    --
    --
    --
    --
    --
    --
    Total Salary 06/07

I'm afraid there is a different angle at which this can be viewed... Has Wallace's so called honour cost him and his team....

If he resigned with the pistons @ age 30 with a new contract for 4 years @ 15 Mill and the Pistons had to pay an extra 5 Mill per year because there over the cap, wouldn’t they be better of then if he walked now two years later for nothing, sure he gets his contract of 100 Mil but he has to play for Utah till 2012

I'm not getting your honour approach....

some one is going to get done over regardless unless Joe's going to commit 100 Mill him self to a 38 year old undersized centre, and if that’s the case why wouldn’t he have done it two years ago when it made more sense in the long run for everyone except D Sterling

I have no idea where you're going with this.

If Ben says he wants a huge deal, he's earned it. It just might be with another team.

Meanwhile, I think Joe Dumars will do everything to accomodate Ben's request.

I never said we'd overpay to keep him.

That’s where I am going

Wouldn’t it have been smarter to the pistons franchise if he did opt out and the resigned him to a fair multi length deal or has Joe D promised him that they’ll send him to a team of his choice for the MAX that any sucker team will pay for a four time defensive player of the year

I'm just commenting on what you wrote and questing the logic... it ant my team so I dun really care, just thought it required some more thought

Wouldn’t it have been smarter to the pistons franchise if he did opt out and the resigned him to a fair multi length deal or has Joe D promised him that they’ll send him to a team of his choice for the MAX that any sucker team will pay for a four time defensive player of the year
    We dont sign McDyess if that happens and we certainly dont go to the finals in 2005.

We dont sign McDyess if that happens and we certainly dont go to the finals in 2005.
    I see, In that case and with your knowledge of the team was it worth it... what ever decison Joe Makes....

and who do you think would replace Wallace in the starting line up..

thats all if he left...

I don't know why my mind keeps doing this to me but, I have this WIERD CRAZY filling BigBen is going to be in Gold and Purple next year with the Lakers! Some reason I just know he is going to be a laker next year.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31
    I don't know why my mind keeps doing this to me but, I have this WIERD CRAZY filling BigBen is going to be in Gold and Purple next year with the Lakers! Some reason I just know he is going to be a laker next year.
    Ben for Lamar Odom? I dont think Joe D would do it.

I think that's a deal where neither side is going to want to agree to what the other would ask for.....

Joe would ask for Bynam and Odom, LA would counter with one of the two, and the talks would probably end there.