Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 40 of 40

Thread: Who says "blowing a team up" is a bad thing?

  1. #26
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: Who says "blowing a team up" is a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Call me cynical, but I don't think that our "core" is as desirable to build around and re-tool around as a Nash/Marion core or a Shaq/Wade core.
    Yeah, I'm with ya. I mean, what IS our core? Granger is a given. Jermaine, obviously. Throw in Peja, of signed. Is that it?

    Nash/Amare/Marion

    vs

    Peja/Jermaine/Granger?

    And bulletproof, I'd still use them as a model seeing as how they did it this year minus Amare and Bell for a bit. Pretty impressive.

    BTW, folks, I was kinda curious about our injury thing. You realize Jermaine has only played 95 games in the past 2 seasons?

    By way of comparision, Tracy McGrady, a guy we tend to diss for being too injury prone, played 125 games past 2 seasons. Weird and scary, huh?

    The Heat only kept two guys who mattered, Wade and Shaq, then pretty much scattered the rest of the roster and look where they are.

    That's the gist of what made me start this thread. I don't see our "core" stacking up with the contenders. So we build on what ain't working? That's what I'm afriad management will do.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

  2. #27
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Who says "blowing a team up" is a bad thing?

    Blow it up, draft Oden! Hooha!
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  3. #28
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,008

    Default Re: Who says "blowing a team up" is a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    BTW, folks, I was kinda curious about our injury thing. You realize Jermaine has only played 95 games in the past 2 seasons?

    By way of comparision, Tracy McGrady, a guy we tend to diss for being too injury prone, played 125 games past 2 seasons. Weird and scary, huh?
    Somebody will point out that JO missed some games for some other reason... something about November 2004...

    But wasn't that 15 games in the end? So that would mean JO should've played 120 games if the league would've let him. Hmmmm... that's still less than McGrady... And JO ended up injured even with a nice little league imposed vacation in the season.

    The Heat only kept two guys who mattered, Wade and Shaq, then pretty much scattered the rest of the roster and look where they are.

    That's the gist of what made me start this thread. I don't see our "core" stacking up with the contenders. So we build on what ain't working? That's what I'm afriad management will do.
    Apparently, being patient isn't the only way to win a title. Has anyone ever won a title being patient?

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  4. #29
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Who says "blowing a team up" is a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Somebody will point out that JO missed some games for some other reason... something about November 1994...
    1994? Was he suspended 15 days in High School?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But wasn't that 15 games in the end? So that would mean JO should've played 120 games if the league would've let him. Hmmmm... that's still less than McGrady... And JO ended up injured even with a nice little league imposed vacation in the season.
    Actually 95 + 15 = 110, but your point stands.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apparently, being patient isn't the only way to win a title. Has anyone ever won a title being patient?
    I'm not enough of an NBA historian to tell you that one. I'd like to know. If we'd beaten in 2000 we'd have been at least 1 of course. Past that... I'm trying to think of a team that was together for years before winning a title. How long were the late 80's Pistons together before '89? What about the Bulls that won in '91?

    If you want to be cute, you can recall that the Celtics were patient (ironically more than the Indiana Pacers) and drafted Larry Bird a year "in advance."

  5. #30
    Eternal Optimist VF21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Plumas Forest, CA
    Posts
    605

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who says "blowing a team up" is a bad thing?

    I've been watching my team get blown up for the past two years. Webber - gone. Christie - gone. Peja - gone. Bobby Jackson - gone. Unfortunately, we still have a flock of albatross left over from some of those explosions.

    I used to be one who thought you simply couldn't blow up a team. We didn't blow up in one big explosion. We've done it over time and I strongly suspect some MAJOR movement of players this off-season, too, as Petrie works with Muss to refine the team into something for the new Musselman era.

    As far as your Pacers go, I suspect you may be seeing pretty significant changes. I think you should keep Granger if at all possible. I think O'Neal is the real deal, and just needs more support around him AND a better point guard.

    I'm almost as interested in watching what happens with the Pacers as I am with the Kings. Could get very, very interesting.

    Should be some pretty eye-opening trades coming down. The draft isn't that strong. There's not a LeBron James in there. Petrie has alluded to some European talent entering the mix, but I'm predicting the best moves this year will be made via the trades.

    If you have to blow up a team, blow it up. Let the pieces fall where they may. But, much like making sourdough bread, just make sure you keep some "starter."

    NBA basketball - taking my breath away since 1963.

  6. #31
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,008

    Default Re: Who says "blowing a team up" is a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1994? Was he suspended 15 days in High School?



    Actually 95 + 15 = 110, but your point stands.
    I've had to do WAY more work than usual for me on a Monday and apparently these past few (long) days have taken a toll. Math and numbers in general seem to have been a casualty of the day.





    I'm not enough of an NBA historian to tell you that one. I'd like to know. If we'd beaten in 2000 we'd have been at least 1 of course. Past that... I'm trying to think of a team that was together for years before winning a title. How long were the late 80's Pistons together before '89? What about the Bulls that won in '91?

    If you want to be cute, you can recall that the Celtics were patient (ironically more than the Indiana Pacers) and drafted Larry Bird a year "in advance."
    That worked out well for them... but was that being patient taking a Junior eligible tho? Or was that just the opposite? Afterall, they could've been patient and waited for the next Larry Bird and taken someone they could use that season....

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  7. #32
    Member Ron who?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    479

    Default Re: Who says "blowing a team up" is a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As long as Jermaine and Danny stay, I'm fine with blowing this team up.

    I agree with that because they are the only 2 capable of anything on this team...

  8. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Who says "blowing a team up" is a bad thing?

    I was going to make a new thread for this but figured this was fitting.

    There is a guy in our office who is an absolute die-hard pacers fan. Lifetime season ticket holder......you know the type. He comes from a very well-to-do Indianapolis family who are close with the Simons and also die-hard fans. The family owns a box suite and attends a lot of the private functions the pacers put on.

    Anyways, this guy knows I follow the pacers closely and usually drops by my cube every so often to tell me any dirt he's scrapped up. Monday he was swearing up and down that the pacers are in a full fledged pursuit of Bonzi Wells. He claimed JO is pushing hard for it & Bonzi is open to joining the pacers too.

    I have no idea if it would be a S&T or if we would use the MLE....he didn't mention that.

    I was also reading around hoopsworld.com and a lot of the writers on the website have referenced this same rumor in seeral of there recent articles.

    The guy also thinks Bird is in love with JJ Reddick. He hasn't heard any rumors about JJ, it's just his opinion.

    Don't shoot the messenger!

  9. #34
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,201

    Default Re: Who says "blowing a team up" is a bad thing?

    Skaut Etch said.."Bird basically said, "I'm telling our guys for the last time, they'd better act better or we'll look a some trades." It seems he wants to gives them a short leash, then he keeps letting out the slack to give them more leeway.

    I just get the feeling that announcing that you ARE going to make changes puts more fear into the knucklesheads than saying, yet again, "just one more mess up..."
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

    Sounds like double secret probation to me :-)


    As far as Bonzi and JJ rumors I could easily see them both as true.


    owl
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  10. #35
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,833

    Default Re: Who says "blowing a team up" is a bad thing?

    The Bonzi rumor coming to fruition bothers me b/c it's like letting JO make personnel decisions. Or do they really think Bonzi's a significant upgrade? I'd rate him as slightly less volatile than Jack but less durable.

    I mean it could work out OK I guess but it doesn't exactly light my fire. Bird or Bird and Walsh or whoever the hell's in charge needs to define the direction we're going and the type of players we're seeking.

    Anyway, if Jack is out and Bonzi's in I could live with it. Unless Bonzi's turned over a new leaf I don't want both those guys.

  11. #36
    Eternal Optimist VF21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Plumas Forest, CA
    Posts
    605

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who says "blowing a team up" is a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by purdue101
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He claimed JO is pushing hard for it & Bonzi is open to joining the pacers too.

    I have no idea if it would be a S&T or if we would use the MLE....he didn't mention that.
    I wouldn't bank on Bonzi going anywhere. The Maloofs are VERY happy with him and have most likely told Petrie to make him a fair offer. Bonzi loves it in Sacramento. He's made it abundantly clear that if he gets a decent offer, he'll stay.

    There are already a number of rumors about Bonzi, but he's ours until we decide not to make him an offer he won't refuse. And, quite frankly, I don't see that happening. Jermaine O'Neal can lobby all he likes but Bonzi heard 17,317 rabid Kings fans CHANTING his name in unison in the playoffs. It was something he's not ever gonna forget. In fact, he reportedly told a couple of his teammates it was the greatest moment in his entire NBA career.

    The fans like him. The Maloofs like him. Geoff Petrie obviously likes him. And Artest likes him. My very strong hunch is that he ain't going nowhere.
    NBA basketball - taking my breath away since 1963.

  12. #37
    Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,663
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who says "blowing a team up" is a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As long as Jermaine and Danny stay, I'm fine with blowing this team up.
    Keeping JO is not blowing it up. Blowing it up would mean trading JO for expiring contracts, sucking next year to get a high draft pick for the 2007 draft. For all of you that say this would be OK, I don't believe you. You will be on here after every loss complaining about turnovers, coaching, lack of effort, etc...

  13. #38
    Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,663
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who says "blowing a team up" is a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by VF21
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't bank on Bonzi going anywhere. The Maloofs are VERY happy with him and have most likely told Petrie to make him a fair offer. Bonzi loves it in Sacramento. He's made it abundantly clear that if he gets a decent offer, he'll stay.

    There are already a number of rumors about Bonzi, but he's ours until we decide not to make him an offer he won't refuse. And, quite frankly, I don't see that happening. Jermaine O'Neal can lobby all he likes but Bonzi heard 17,317 rabid Kings fans CHANTING his name in unison in the playoffs. It was something he's not ever gonna forget. In fact, he reportedly told a couple of his teammates it was the greatest moment in his entire NBA career.

    The fans like him. The Maloofs like him. Geoff Petrie obviously likes him. And Artest likes him. My very strong hunch is that he ain't going nowhere.
    I bet that by this time next year the Kings' fans won't like either Artest or Bonzi.

  14. #39
    Member Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,038

    Default Re: Who says "blowing a team up" is a bad thing?

    I blew up the team on nba live...I got Yao and Tmac,Bonzi,Kept Tinsley,Got the trainer to work with Granger,They cant be stopped.


    Make it happen LB/DW.
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

  15. #40
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,260
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Who says "blowing a team up" is a bad thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I blew up the team on nba live...I got Yao and Tmac,Bonzi,Kept Tinsley,Got the trainer to work with Granger,They cant be stopped.


    Make it happen LB/DW.
    I'm gonna try that right now, blowin up the Pacers and Wizards, i'll post my results...lol.
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •