Thread: OT-Computer Trouble

Default OT-Computer Trouble

I don't know what to do, my computer keeps randomly freezing or shutting down.

I just reinstalled windows and only have AOL IM and Sim City 4 installed

It randomly freezes or shuts down in SC4 and just freezes when I am on the Internet.

It always happens when I am moving the mouse too.

WTF???

Anyone here good with Computers...is this a Hardware issue?

Default Re: OT-Computer Trouble

Random lockups/freezes typically indicates a problem with Hardware. Usually somewhere between the CPU, RAM, or Hard drive.

Also, if it happens when moving the mouse, then there could be a hardware conflict between the mouse driver and the video driver. You might check for updates for both.

Sometimes you can also trace those type of things back to when it started to occur. Did you happen to install a new piece of hardware around the same time, or new software?

Unfortunately, there are a few things that could be happening. Hope that helps...

This space for rent

Thanx...I will start by updating my mouse driver

Could it possibly be a problem with my Video Card?

cuz I have been skeptical of it's performance as of late

Yes, the video card could be the problem too.

Is your computer older? Are you running Win98, XP? Sometimes the video card and mouse would try to use the same IRQ, typically computers don't like that.

This space for rent

When posting a computer problem, it's helpful to give a system spec so people know what they're dealing with.

What kind of mouse do you have? Video card? Sound card? How old is your computer? Is it branded (Dell, Compaq, etc)? What operating system are you using? Did anything change around the time that you started noticing this? Have you made any hardware changes, or are you still using the original hardware?

But I agree with everyone else, so far. Always start by updating your drivers.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Every time Geezer Jr. installs a new SIMS product I start having problems. He did so over the week-end and I 've been chronicleing my problems here this week. I can also tell you that when I ran a Spyware clean-up a whole lot, and I do mean alot, of the cookies had attached themselves (snuck in with?) to the SIMS files.
    I'm seriously thinking of banning them from my 'puter.

Not to say that's what's causing your po\roblem but I have enough trouble with them so that every time I see their name I have to speak.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Ok.... here are my specs

My pc is a homebrew about 8 months old

WinXP Pro
    AMD Athlon 2400+
    512 MB DDRam
    40GB 7200 Seagate HD
    128 MB DDR ATI Radeon 9000
    Intergrated sound
    Cnet 10/100 NIC
    Sony CD/RW 8x4x32
    Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse

PC ran rock solid until about 4 months ago...that is actually right around the time I updated my display driver

Not to say that's what's causing your po\roblem but I have enough trouble with them so that every time I see their name I have to speak.
    I thought it me be from the Maxis game because it freezes more often when I play the game

but it also freezes in internet Explorer...so i thought it might be a issue with the graphics card...but then I noticed everytime It freezes I am moving my mouse...so idk

[quote="ROCislandWarrior"]
    PC ran rock solid until about 4 months ago...that is actually right around the time I updated my display driver

I would start with the video card. See if there is a newer driver for it. If there isn't, you should be able to roll the driver back to the previous version. That will help you determine if the video driver is your issue.

Hope that helps.

This space for rent

I don't know what to do, my computer keeps randomly freezing or shutting down.

I just reinstalled windows and only have AOL IM and Sim City 4 installed

It randomly freezes or shuts down in SC4 and just freezes when I am on the Internet.

It always happens when I am moving the mouse too.

WTF???

Anyone here good with Computers...is this a Hardware issue?

When you re-installed windows did you format your hdd back to nothing and then re-install or did you just re-install over your previous installation?

Does it display any dialog when it shuts the pc down? A whole range of virus' have recently started using an RPC exploit which can shutdown your pc, remotely, randomly, timed interval, etc. That is one possibility if you didn't format your hdd, a virus might still be lingering around.

Freezing in game is most usually caused because of video card problems. Updating your drivers probbly wouldn't hurt regardless of whether it fixes the problem.

Default One thing to check

Right click on My Computer and go to manage. From here you can view your event logs. Sometimes..Not always they will give you a good indication of what failed. If it seems to run for awhile then lock up, it could be thermal. Amd processors need alot of cooling. Download a Utility to monitor your CPU temp, to make sure it is running within tolerance.

Actually, it might be your ATI drivers. I seem to remember that ATI took some heat a few months ago for releasing buggy drivers.

I'm strictly an nVidia man, myself. Better driver support, better OpenGL support, plus you don't need to install some proprietary ATI programs to get the most out of your card.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!