Thread: Star} Carlisle's contract status to be addressed later

Default Star} Carlisle's contract status to be addressed later

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...606020500/1088

Carlisle's contract status to be addressed later

By Mike Wells
    mike.wells@indystar.com
    Indiana Pacers coach Rick Carlisle recently met with team president Larry Bird and CEO Donnie Walsh, but a contract extension for Carlisle wasn't discussed.

Carlisle is entering the final year of a four-year deal. Walsh said Thursday the meeting was a standard end-of-season review. He said he plans to talk to Carlisle about his contract later.

"Larry and I just wanted to review the season with him," Walsh said. ". . . It's what we do every year."

Carlisle has led the Pacers to the playoffs, including the Eastern Conference finals in 2004, in each of his three seasons, but they underachieved this season. They were expected to compete for an NBA title, only to finish 41-41 and lose to New Jersey in the first round of the playoffs.

"Everybody involved feels that we are not that far off from being a competitive team again," Carlisle said. "I feel upbeat about that."

There were grumblings within the organization regarding Carlisle's failure to discipline players for on-court behavior, such as frequent complaining to referees. Bird said during his season-ending news conference that Carlisle "probably did lose the team" at times.

Default Re: Star} Carlisle's contract status to be addressed later

It's interesting that this comes out just hours after Carlisle said he feels secure. Could be nothing, still . . .

He said he plans to talk to Carlisle about his contract later.
    Something has been in the back of my mind for a few weeks and I think I know now what it is.
    TPTB don't know yet who they will be able to trade. They probably have some ideas, but don't really know how they'll pan out. Some scenarios may include RC, others may not. I think it may depend on which trades get made as to whether they fire RC, extend his contract, or let him dangle. I think the third option is the least likely.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead Warrior
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Something has been in the back of my mind for a few weeks and I think I know now what it is.
    TPTB don't know yet who they will be able to trade. They probably have some ideas, but don't really know how they'll pan out. Some scenarios may include RC, others may not. I think it may depend on which trades get made as to whether they fire RC, extend his contract, or let him dangle. I think the third option is the least likely.

If that is the plan, then it is a bad plan. They need to decide right now if they want Rick back, and they need to make the decision regardless of what other moves may be coming

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    If that is the plan, then it is a bad plan. They need to decide right now if they want Rick back, and they need to make the decision regardless of what other moves may be coming
    I don't agree with that. They already have him for sure this year no matter what. If they are looking to make a major stylistic change to their play via different players then watching to see if Carlisle can cope is a good thing (IMO).

See the Larry Brown-NYK situation as to why it's silly to separate coaching and personnel moves.

If that's the plan, it's a good one. If we can move Jax, I wouldn't mind having Carlisle stick around.

Maybe they're waiting to see what happens with Larry Brown. (You know, we need a good :conspiracy: smilie. Too bad we don't have a picture of Bball, that would certainly work.)

Seriously, I'm just dying for something, anything to happen. Yes, it makes sense to hold Rick off, cause it's not like there's a big coaching frenzy this year we'd miss the boat on. But I just need something to happen. Some clue that we're not actually pulling this "Everything will be better next year" bull****.

It's hard enough waiting until draft day. If nothing's happened by the forum party, I may just show up wearing an Eric Snow jersey.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

How many forum parties are there per year?

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    It's not the number of the parties it's time they last. The last one was 10 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    Officially two, right after the draft and right after the season starts. However, we invariably end up having more when far away's are in town, like Able.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!