Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do people here tend to hate work?

Default Re: Do people here tend to hate work?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And that's the reason why. He's a financial consultant with no financial or consulting skills. And since he lost his "national practice leader" position (they 'are' on to him), he thinks it is my job to teach him how to actually do his job.

I know he's doomed, but I'm not sure I'll be able to stick it out that long.
    Two stories on the guy I was thinking of:
    He has a question on how to do something. He wants to do it "his way", but wonders if it will work. I tell him no. He goes to ask someone higher up and gets another no. He does it his way anyway and it blows up.
    After receiving MUCH help on his project, i.e. he didn't do it himself, our boss commends the schmoozer with "he's shown me what he's capable of." We just rolled our eyes and swore never to help again.
    He changed careers a few years later.
    Why is it that the schmoozers are SO noticeable to their peers, but never to their bosses? Maybe I answered my own question.

And another thing: When I studied computer programming, there was a guy in one of my classes who could not type. There was another who asked me to help him with his program. It had more compile errors than lines of code. My brother, who also came through the same program, said there was always one person in every one of his classes who was like that. These people eventually got a degree and a job, but then of course got found out. Presumably some of them made it into management (due to schmoozing) and didn't get found out.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Several years ago I audited a college grad course in science. Now this particular field was something relatively new and I ended up being able to apply it to a project I was given. Working independently I created an entirely new methodology of testing for a specific something we were interested in. Now this specifiec something isn't what is important, the fact was no methodology existed to do what I wanted to do. So I researched libraries and symposiums and finally found an obscure reference to a guy doing just the OPPOSITE of what I wanted to do. So building on his work and reversing certain processes I developed an this whole new methodology. Tested and Valdiated the procedure and put it up for peer review and had it accepted for use. I authored a paper for publication on my technology and was rejected by our legal dept. It was deemed propriatory and not something we wanted out for as long as possible. OK I can live with that. Shortly thereafter They brought in a fresh-faced MAsters degreed person and put him over my lab. I spent a couple months training him in our work and eventually he caught on to my testing method (HE knew zip of the science involved) About 6 months later he took all of my work I created for publication, enlarged it to poster size and made a poster presentation at a national meeting in another LARGE city. Today he is a division director. But what really burned me...he removed all mention of me from the work. I got zero recognition for it...never any mention, citations, raises or promotions. Zilch. That was the beginning of my slide to antipathy. (BTW...I earned my bachelors at night school while working full time and raising a family...it has never been recognized...IOW for the last 26 years I have worked and been payed on a non-degreed persons level.)
    I have other stories.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Why are there so few good supervisors who could see some of the things people are talking about and change them, or be more effective with their staff?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    I enjoy my job. I love working with kids, and also enjoy the managerial aspects of the job. It took me a long time to get here, but it was all worth it.
    Working with kids? What do you do?
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow the more things change, the more they stay the same...

Quote Originally Posted by naturallystoned
    I like my job as a delivery driver because the money is great and I like the atmosphere for the most part. Not to toot my own horn, but I'm a blue collar guy who does just about anything they need. I get along with just about everyone, and I don't complain. I have remained loyal through the tough times and I rarely get stressed out during the rough times because of my naturallystonedness. I have been given some liberties and responsibilities because of all of that but then something happened.

The idea of pay raises came up not too long and some of us were told they would happen. We waited patiently and asked about them every so often. Then not to long ago they happened but very quietly. To my surprise, I didn't get one. The driver that had been hired several months after me and has the same duties as me, the driver that does the JV runs (day shift) who also started after me, an instore who made the same as I do now (who truly deserved the pay raise), and a day manager who at times is lazy (whole different story) got pay raises. A week after the pay raises happened, I got to hear the justifications for all them. Everything the GM mentioned as a justifiction for them is something that I do or did. She basically made it sound like the ones that got them this time were the ones that deserved it. When I obviously got pissed about it, she said something to the effect of that it didn't mean I wouldn't get one eventually. Which I think means keep up the good work with the false hope of getting anything in return.

Here the pay scale for the drivers:

Newbies
    <
    Me, Brick Tamland Jr. (Who pretty much refuses to take runs most times and takes forever on the runs he does take), and Dirty Old Man (Who is an *******, slow as molasses when taking deliveries, steals runs whenever he can, lazy as hell and all around pervert who acts like he's five)
    <
    The two drivers mentioned above
    <
    Ex GM who gets paid like he's a manger but he just carries the title of driver and does as little as possible. He also acts like he's five.

There's also the ex-drivers who are managers that drive every once awhile and get paid their normal manager wage (which kills the labor %).

I've tried to become disgruntled and "earn" my lower wage, but I just can't do it. I still out work people there and get back from my runs quicker than most.
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=19187

Well I still haven't got a pay raise. We had a new manager that is a witch. I swear she had it out for me and I didn't even know why. So for the year and a half that i was the model employee and was never written up, I was now the worst employee and figured out how to hack the apple looking computers. I was a jerk and {insert any thing that would cast doubt on an employee}. I was stripped of all my duties and was being watched 24/7 all because of a new manager was telling lies. I joked I was Al Capone and the managers were trying to get me for tax evasion , and I sure that didn't help.

So like I said I was on the watchlist and I was now a newb that couldn't be trusted to do anything. I had rumors floating about me, yet I was never asked about a single one. I wasn't about to quit over that, I just kept on doing my job hoping the cream would rise to the top.

Well then a driver that just started in August got a pay raise for uh... probally nothing (who then left because he is transferring schools ). And when this was brought up, the new GM told me that if I came in and went through this manual sometime during the day on a Monday or Tuesday I would then get a pay raise. I thought to myself, 'great everyone else gets a pay raise for doing damn near nothing and being here a couple of months but I've been here for almost 2 years and i have to go through a book to get one '. This was still while I had classes so I told him I would have to wait. So it was looking like I was set. Only the witch was demoted and she quit over it. The new GM is now pulling double shifts on those two days so he doesn't want to mess with it.

August will be my two anniversary there, and if I don't have one by then I will demand one or I will quit. Some of my fellow employees (who btw had gotten raises ) have told me that I shouldn't get worked up about roughly 30 cents or so but I am sick and tired of being slapped in the face...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Do I like my job? Yes. Are there aspects I would change? Absolutely.

I've just never been able to juggle working a M-F gig and making enough money to live comfortably. I've gotten into credit card debt, worked a PT job to get out, and now I am selling homes and I work every weekend. I'm making good money, relative to what I've made in the past, and I actually sell in Kat's backyard of Lafayette.

Which brings me to another sore spot.. commute. I live in Avon and drive to Lafayette, so I'm on the road 2 hours a day. And with Th/Fr as my only off days, it doesn't give me much opportunity to interact with the free world. Friday night is pretty much it, but our other off days of Tue/Wed would be much worse.

I like selling homes. We work with many first time homebuyers and it is really neat to watch their enthusiasm as they make their first purchase. I like my company. I enjoy working with Realtors, and I'm doing really well. As of the last report I ran, I am the top salesperson in Indiana. As brich pointed out, territory has alot to do with that, but where I work has been up and down... so I'm just going to enjoy it for now.

My ideal job was working for a local cell phone distributor as an account manager. That was hard, but I loved it. No weekends, plane trips to California to wine and dine customers, presentations... I loved all of it. I had a background in Telecommunications which was also beneficial. I was really in my element and loved what I did. I was getting 100% scorecard reviews from clients and enjoyed the folks I worked with.

But alas, it is just a company that goes through people. They had their annual firing spree and in spite of performance, I was last hired and first fired.

I have had tons of jobs and I really would like to just settle down with an employer, but I don't want to leave Indiana. And therein lies the rub. The economy has been so bad here that just about everybody I know has been affected by downsizing in one way or another.

One of my biggest weaknesses is indecisiveness. I think in college that I wound up in the business school simply b/c it seemed like the quickest way to get out of IU with a decent job. But when I graduated in 1992 the job market was tough, and I just took the first offer I had which was as a retail store manager. And away my career went. I would have been better off to really focus on my strengths which are public speaking, creativity, etc. I use some of those in sales, but I often wonder if I could have made it in public relations or something along those lines.

I like work, I just don't like feeling like I'm on Survivor everyday I go in. The pressure out there is pretty enormous in sales. You never know where your next sale is coming from, so it is a constant battle.

But... I do like my job.
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

brich, I don't know how you do it. I could never go back to working weekends. And then to be in sales?

It's interesting getting the perspective from you guys who work in the private sector. There's an aspect about the private sector that I am extremely envious about: getting paid by performance.

What I don't like about my job is that the loads and goofs get paid the same as the guys who hump and make things happen. At the risk of sounding immodest, I'm one of the best in the city at what I do. Not only do I have co-workers come to me for advice, I've been routinely nominated for awards and was asked by a national training group to be a lecturer. You may have seen me on Wish-TV a few months ago being interviewed, or the past few years on WTHR-TV as part of the focus on a documentary. I take every case I work personally and admittedly take the stance of protection of victims and revenge for getting the bad guy. Conversely, I have several co-workers who do the bare minimum. They aren't creative on investigating their cases, don't take advantage of the wealth of resources possible and generally punch the clock, go home and forget about things.

It drives me insane that they get paid the same as I for doing a marginal job.

It would be nice to be monetarily compensated for giving a damn. But then I read some of you guys horror stories about the private sector and think, maybe it's for the best. But then again....

Do I hate work? Um...no.

What I DO hate, beside what I stated, is knowing that weekends of major events, not only do I not get to go, but odds are I have to work during them anywhere from 8-11 hour shifts. I hate knowing that everything I do is second guessed by almost everyone. I hate that I've been put in situations where I coulda got my *** capped and it would probably get less TV coverage than what Brad and Angelina are doing. I hate that it took fifteen years to get into a position of basically working 9-5, M-F. I hate that I am to have my pager withj me at all times....just in case I'm needed (At times, it's like I can't get a mental break from work.) I hate that I'm on-call for a week once every six weeks.

I guess what I hate most, and not that I do it for recognition, is how underappreciated I feel by both supervisors and the general public.

But I love my job. I make a difference and I love knowing that.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

I have to admit I've had some pretty special jobs but the one I have now is one of the best and most rewarding I have ever had.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    I have to admit I've had some pretty special jobs but the one I have now is one of the best and most rewarding I have ever had.
    And we all appreciate you doing that job ABA....

My brother is headed over there in about 6 months. I tell him thanks everytime I talk to him.

Scott and ABA...thanks to you both for the jobs that you do.

We are all indebted to you for the difference that you make.
    When you're playing against a stacked deck, compete even harder. Show the world how much you'll fight for the winners circle. If you do, someday the cellophane will crackle off a fresh pack, one that belongs to you, and the cards will be stacked in your favor.
    -Pat Riley

Mood

Speaking from experience, Pizza Hut truly is a magical place, isn't it ABA?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Speaking from experience, Pizza Hut truly is a magical place, isn't it ABA?

Funny you say that. We actually have a Pizza Hut here
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Mood

Oh Lord. The terrorists have won.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Has the McDonalds opened up yet?

I was actually offered a job to go out there when they were building that, but my parents would hear no part of that.

I am sure you already know this, but thanks again ABA. All of you willing to go out there really are special people and we owe a lot to all of you.