Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do people here tend to hate work?

Default Do people here tend to hate work?

Geezer's retirement thread kind of made me think it seems like a lot of people on the board hate work, or at least are often frustrated by it or the lack of it.

I used to hate work with a passion, but I've kind of grown to like it. Now that I'm looking at leaving work to go to grad school I'm a little freaked out by the idea of leaving work. Of course, I've got what I think is a really cool job, but I think a lot of people would hate it (and I do too some days).

So what do you think about work? Hate it or like/love it?
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Do people here tend to hate work?

I love my job, but it's the stupid crap that I have to deal with sometimes that I dislike. And I've got a "cool" job, at least to me...it's been really dramatized in various tv shows and many exaggerations have been made to it when it is represented in television, but all in all, it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love my job, but it's the stupid crap that I have to deal with sometimes that I dislike. And I've got a "cool" job, at least to me...it's been really dramatized in various tv shows and many exaggerations have been made to it when it is represented in television, but all in all, it's good.
    I'm sure the ladies think handling pee is really "cool", amigo!
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

While at times I do not enjoy work, I do enjoy knowing that this job is opening up many oppurtunities for myself in the future, not to mention its damn nice knowing I make the salary that I do.

Its all at how you look at it. Granted, like I said, this is a transitional job for me, so I could see where maybe its easier for me compared to Joe Schmoe who is set in his said career

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
    I'm sure the ladies think handling pee is really "cool", amigo!
    Hehe. I don't handle the pee! I don't go anywhere near the smelly stuff.

I don't even work enough anymore to hate it.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I can sum up my relationship with "work" in three quick verses:

You're sorta stuck where you are
    But, in your dreams you can buy expensive cars,
    or live on mars and have it your way

And you hate your boss at your job
    well in your dreams you can blow his head off
    in your dreams
    show no mercy

And all your bad days will end
    You have to sleep late when you can
    (repeat)

The Flaming Lips
    Bad Days

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I like my clients, and find my job to be very satisfying, but hate the adminstrative bull**** and utterly dislike one of my bosses.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I hate the town I am in, but my actual job is real easy so I dont mind it but dealing with my boss and his boss and the people makes me want to go crazy sometimes.

Work is okay.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I like not having to work, but I'd love to get the advantages of working .

Yes, I hate my job.

(I had a much longer, drawn out post, but I deleted it on accident.)

Okay, here's what I was going to say. I don't mind some of the clerical aspects of my job (typing, copying, etc.), but I hate:

1) A couple of my faculty members
    2) My supervisor
    3) My disorganized and cluttered office
    4) Business forms
    5) Being the messenger
    6) Tracking downs answers to questions
    7) Being jerked around by Human Resources on the issue of permanent employment

I know I'd be happier in a different job, but I don't have a lot of experience and there are few opportunities that I'm interested in. Also, I feel like I "owe" my employers for taking me back after I left for a different job a few months ago (long story), but that feeling weakens every day I'm kept waiting as a temp.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kat
    Okay, here's what I was going to say. I don't mind some of the clerical aspects of my job (typing, copying, etc.), but I hate:

1) A couple of my faculty members
    2) My supervisor
    3) My disorganized and cluttered office
    4) Business forms
    5) Being the messenger
    6) Tracking downs answers to questions
    7) Being jerked around by Human Resources on the issue of permanent employment

I know I'd be happier in a different job, but I don't have a lot of experience and there are few opportunities that I'm interested in. Also, I feel like I "owe" my employers for taking me back after I left for a different job a few months ago (long story), but that feeling weakens every day I'm kept waiting as a temp.
    Keep looking for something else, and expand your search to any town/city you would consider living in. You job will not get better. As a rule, jobs only get more annoying (that's why there is a "raise" system almost everywhere).

If you feel like you're at a dead end, it's usually because you are.

Hang in there and good luck!

sweabs

I enjoy my job. I love working with kids, and also enjoy the managerial aspects of the job. It took me a long time to get here, but it was all worth it.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

I've had many different "jobs" in my career with this one company.

I've hated nearly all. The ones I liked and did my best were the ones where I was given the responsibility for a project and worked independently to it's conclusion. Unfortunately in a big-business bureaucracy, the minute there is some success someone steps in to take it over and get the recognition...screwing it up in the meantime.

I hate micromanagers (I wouldn't do well with a certain coach).
    I hate corporate bureaucracy
    I hate the "shirts" that are too chicken**** to put their name on a decision and instead defer to a committee.
    I hate terms like...Performance Excellence, Six-Sigma, and all of the current buzz-word in-vogue programs that make management feel like they are being progressive.
    I hate having to write, re-write, review, and discuss with my supervisor 4 FREAKING TIMES A YEAR, my objectives for the year and how I met them and what I could have done better. Funny how much more preductive I could have been had not I wasted about 24 hrs a year on this time wasting excercise. Then calculate in the time the supevisor wastes doing this same excercise with each of the 20 people under her. You want increased productivity......DROP PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT!!! (OK, now do I earn a PhD for writing something "visionary" in that statement?)
    (BTW, take that wasted time and multiply it times approx. 40,000 worldwide employees and you can calculate the cost savings of eliminating the PM Plans)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    I've had many different "jobs" in my career with this one company.

I've hated nearly all. The ones I liked and did my best were the ones where I was given the responsibility for a project and worked independently to it's conclusion. Unfortunately in a big-business bureaucracy, the minute there is some success someone steps in to take it over and get the recognition...screwing it up in the meantime.

I hate micromanagers (I wouldn't do well with a certain coach).
    I hate corporate bureaucracy
    I hate the "shirts" that are too chicken**** to put their name on a decision and instead defer to a committee.
    I hate terms like...Performance Excellence, Six-Sigma, and all of the current buzz-word in-vogue programs that make management feel like they are being progressive.
    I hate having to write, re-write, review, and discuss with my supervisor 4 FREAKING TIMES A YEAR, my objectives for the year and how I met them and what I could have done better. Funny how much more preductive I could have been had not I wasted about 24 hrs a year on this time wasting excercise. Then calculate in the time the supevisor wastes doing this same excercise with each of the 20 people under her. You want increased productivity......DROP PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT!!! (OK, now do I earn a PhD for writing something "visionary" in that statement?)
    OMG! Six Sigma. What a worthless piece of crap. Yup, we have the objectives crap here too. In fact, I have to meet with my supervisor tomorrow and talk about my objectives for the coming year. My hire date was May 27, so this is a yearly review.

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    I hate having to write, re-write, review, and discuss with my supervisor 4 FREAKING TIMES A YEAR, my objectives for the year and how I met them and what I could have done better.

Writing your own death sentence.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

I don't really hate my job, but I don't really love it. Quite frankly, my job is boring right now. I work for a large corporation that is getting smaller every year. There is simply less opportunity because of that. It is like musical chairs every year, and people looking for a chair usually wind up in the potential advancement positions.

I am at the point now where I am considering looking for a job elsewhere. I have been a loyal employee, and right now I am questioning my sanity. I think loyalty is a good trait, but it can actually hurt your career aspirations if you take it to an extreme.

Hindsight is 20/20, but if I had it to do over again, I would have definitely played my hand differently the last few years. I have really changed my perspective on business.

I used to take things personally in the workplace, but business truly isn't personal. I am proud of my humble Mid-Western upbringing, but it has probably hurt me a bit in the business world. It was tough for me adjust to "tooting my own horn," but you really have to do it, because it is unlikely that anyone else will. I have always been an overachiever, but not much of a self-promoter. I regret that I didn't learn that lesson sooner then I did. I have also tended to be a bit more risk averse with my career. Where I grew up, my family, and even college sort of promoted being risk averse. In retrospect I think that has been a mistake. It used to be that you could obtain high rewards and low risks with a large corporate company, but I really don't think that is the case anymore. I think having an entrepreneurial spirit is a very good thing to have, and I think colleges tend to squash it.

I also wish I had considered positions outside the company more. It is always a good thing to have a current resume' and have your interviewing skills sharp. You never know when a dream job or outstanding promotional opportunity is going to come up. I think I naively sort of thought that if I worked hard with a company, kept my nose to the grindstone, and produced, that promotions and raises would follow. Now some of that has happened of course, but not nearly to the degree that I would have thought.

I have always felt somewhat guilty for considering interviewing somewhere else, but it really doesn't make any sense. A company always has its best interest at heart, so as an individual; a person should have their best interest at heart. I have seen alot of people take it personally when they are targeted for early retirement once they hit 50. I understand why people who have been busting their humps for 30 years take it personally when this happens, but the company isn't making an emotional decision, it is making a business decision for what is best for it. I am not advocating being a selfish pri**k, but I don't think you should blindly follow your company in a cult-like manner.

I used to sort of believe in entitlement, at least to a certain degree, for loyal, hard-working employees, but I don't anymore. Andy Grove made a great point in one of his books (I think it was Only the Paranoid Survive). I don't remember the exact wording, but he basically bluntly stated that a company does not exist to fulfill the career, retirement, and financial desires of its employees. A company exists as long as it is profitable. As long as you remain a competent and viable employee, and you contribute to its profitability, then you will be duly compensated. If you stop contributing and/or become expendable dead weight to the enterprise, then the company has every right to cast you overboard, whether you have been with the company for 30 years or 30 minutes.

I don't mean to sound cynical, but I honestly think that is the way of the business world. I have groused during my career that I have been under compensated and under promoted, and I think that is true, but you really can't play the victim game. If you truly think that you are not getting a fair deal, then you should look somewhere else. You will either find the job/pay that you wanted all along, or you might find out that the job you have isn't so bad after all, but at least you would know. This may sound like common sense, but I don't know many people who actually do this.

I think there are alot of people like me who do more complaining than interviewing. Sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don't, or maybe it is that the prospect of job hunting is worse than enduring your current job. It may even be that the uncertainty of the unknown is what paralyzes people from looking for another job. Whatever the reason, I think only a small percentage of people I know truly love what they do.

Sorry for the epistle, but I always think about "What if I Knew Then What I Know Now?" Generally I think about how my current knowledge of the opposite sex would have benefited me more in college (Charlie Sheen is doing a masterful job of explaining things to the kid on Two and a Half Men), but sometimes I think about my career.
    When you're playing against a stacked deck, compete even harder. Show the world how much you'll fight for the winners circle. If you do, someday the cellophane will crackle off a fresh pack, one that belongs to you, and the cards will be stacked in your favor.
    -Pat Riley

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    Keep looking for something else, and expand your search to any town/city you would consider living in. You job will not get better. As a rule, jobs only get more annoying (that's why there is a "raise" system almost everywhere).

If you feel like you're at a dead end, it's usually because you are.

Hang in there and good luck!
    Thanks for the encouragement, but I'm stuck in this city for a while. My boyfriend and I are both attending school here.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by brich
    I don't really hate my job, but I don't really love it. Quite frankly, my job is boring right now. I work for a large corporation that is getting smaller every year. There is simply less opportunity because of that. It is like musical chairs every year, and people looking for a chair usually wind up in the potential advancement positions.

I am at the point now where I am considering looking for a job elsewhere. I have been a loyal employee, and right now I am questioning my sanity. I think loyalty is a good trait, but it can actually hurt your career aspirations if you take it to an extreme.

Hindsight is 20/20, but if I had it to do over again, I would have definitely played my hand differently the last few years. I have really changed my perspective on business.

I used to take things personally in the workplace, but business truly isn't personal. I am proud of my humble Mid-Western upbringing, but it has probably hurt me a bit in the business world. It was tough for me adjust to "tooting my own horn," but you really have to do it, because it is unlikely that anyone else will. I have always been an overachiever, but not much of a self-promoter. I regret that I didn't learn that lesson sooner then I did. I have also tended to be a bit more risk averse with my career. Where I grew up, my family, and even college sort of promoted being risk averse. In retrospect I think that has been a mistake. It used to be that you could obtain high rewards and low risks with a large corporate company, but I really don't think that is the case anymore. I think having an entrepreneurial spirit is a very good thing to have, and I think colleges tend to squash it.

I also wish I had considered positions outside the company more. It is always a good thing to have a current resume' and have your interviewing skills sharp. You never know when a dream job or outstanding promotional opportunity is going to come up. I think I naively sort of thought that if I worked hard with a company, kept my nose to the grindstone, and produced, that promotions and raises would follow. Now some of that has happened of course, but not nearly to the degree that I would have thought.

I have always felt somewhat guilty for considering interviewing somewhere else, but it really doesn't make any sense. A company always has its best interest at heart, so as an individual; a person should have their best interest at heart. I have seen alot of people take it personally when they are targeted for early retirement once they hit 50. I understand why people who have been busting their humps for 30 years take it personally when this happens, but the company isn't making an emotional decision, it is making a business decision for what is best for it. I am not advocating being a selfish pri**k, but I don't think you should blindly follow your company in a cult-like manner.

I used to sort of believe in entitlement, at least to a certain degree, for loyal, hard-working employees, but I don't anymore. Andy Grove made a great point in one of his books (I think it was Only the Paranoid Survive). I don't remember the exact wording, but he basically bluntly stated that a company does not exist to fulfill the career, retirement, and financial desires of its employees. A company exists as long as it is profitable. As long as you remain a competent and viable employee, and you contribute to its profitability, then you will be duly compensated. If you stop contributing and/or become expendable dead weight to the enterprise, then the company has every right to cast you overboard, whether you have been with the company for 30 years or 30 minutes.

I don't mean to sound cynical, but I honestly think that is the way of the business world. I have groused during my career that I have been under compensated and under promoted, and I think that is true, but you really can't play the victim game. If you truly think that you are not getting a fair deal, then you should look somewhere else. You will either find the job/pay that you wanted all along, or you might find out that the job you have isn't so bad after all, but at least you would know. This may sound like common sense, but I don't know many people who actually do this.

I think there are alot of people like me who do more complaining than interviewing. Sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don't, or maybe it is that the prospect of job hunting is worse than enduring your current job. It may even be that the uncertainty of the unknown is what paralyzes people from looking for another job. Whatever the reason, I think only a small percentage of people I know truly love what they do.

Sorry for the epistle, but I always think about "What if I Knew Then What I Know Now?" Generally I think about how my current knowledge of the opposite sex would have benefited me more in college (Charlie Sheen is doing a masterful job of explaining things to the kid on Two and a Half Men), but sometimes I think about my career.
    -------------------
    Brich, I have made a 40 year career out of living your words. I started to leave numerous times but allowed people to "talk me out of it"....afterall, why would I want to leave all that security?? To some extent that has been very beneficial to me, staying put that is. But who knows what I might have accomplished had I taken the step, who knows how much happier I might have been?

It WAS loyalty will be compensated and more and more everyday it has become....you can't possibly do enough to make the company happy.

Two things our educators have failed us in.
    1) Not teaching us how to handle and invest our money
    2) Not teaching/promoting Entrepreneurship (SP)

FOr the current state of US employment, I blame NAFTA and in the future CAFTA.....and BOTH political parties are guilty for this.

what has this got to do with anything you wanna read????????/
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by brich
    As long as you remain a competent and viable employee, and you contribute to its profitability, then you will be duly compensated.
    I could have written everything you have. What I have quoted I disagree with slightly. There ARE people out there who get downsized who do NOT deserve it. And of course there are people who are not properly compensated regardless of their worth.
    My favorite is people whose worth is overinflated because they are good schmoozers. It takes a while, but usually they are doomed.

Yeah, I would have done things a lot differently rather than spend 10 years with one company and 7 with another. I decided to take a year off at age 52 and after my year was up decided it was permanent. Many of the reasons are cited above. Corps are not farsighted enough to take advantage of their most important assets -- employees. Ahhh well, I don't miss it.

My favorite complaint -- Never enough time to do it right, always enough time to do it over.

Did you see Dilbert today? The Indian guy was outsourced by an Indian worker.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    ... and utterly dislike one of my bosses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead Warrior
    My favorite is people whose worth is overinflated because they are good schmoozers. It takes a while, but usually they are doomed.
    And that's the reason why. He's a financial consultant with no financial or consulting skills. And since he lost his "national practice leader" position (they 'are' on to him), he thinks it is my job to teach him how to actually do his job.

I know he's doomed, but I'm not sure I'll be able to stick it out that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead Warrior
    I could have written everything you have. What I have quoted I disagree with slightly. There ARE people out there who get downsized who do NOT deserve it. And of course there are people who are not properly compensated regardless of their worth.

Yeah, I would have done things a lot differently rather than spend 10 years with one company and 7 with another. I decided to take a year off at age 52 and after my year was up decided it was permanent. Many of the reasons are cited above. Corps are not farsighted enough to take advantage of their most important assets -- employees. Ahhh well, I don't miss it.

My favorite complaint -- Never enough time to do it right, always enough time to do it over.

Did you see Dilbert today? The Indian guy was outsourced by an Indian worker.
    I was trying to tread lightly when I wrote that part. I am sure there are good people on this board who have been wrongly downsized. I guess I was referring more to the person who says "I deserve a higher raise because I have been here for 27 years," then the good performer who is a victim of something beyond their control.

I also agree that there are folks who are not properly compensated. Heck, I am one (well, I suppose we all feel like this).

I also am not a fan of overinflated schmoozers, but tend to agree that the Peter Principle tends to catch up with them.

I actually kind of like the GE philosophy, although I originally thought it sounded like a cold culture. In theory, employees are ranked, and every year the bottom 10% are terminated. That way you are constantly weeding out the poor performers, and you stay lean and mean. Like I said, it sounds cold, but really, if you are in the bottom 10%, then you might be better off somewhere else. I believe the top 10% are well compensated also. I have friends who work for GE who say it doesn't happen as literal as it sounds in textbooks, but some version of this is practiced.

My company tends to do things bass ackwards. We often will offer generous retirement packages to our older employees, and other severance packages based on years of service. We tend to lose two groups of people, our experienced folks (some are good, some are bad, but they are experienced), and our up and comers. I think Scott Adams of Dilbert fame called this brightsizing instead of downsizing. Your weak performers rarely leave in those circumstances, and many of your top performers do...and you pay them to leave. I find it bizarre. This year we didn't do that at least, so maybe we are learning.

My only problem with the GE method is coming up with fair performance criteria. We have sales districts out here, but they are far from being fair. We have dominant market share in some areas, but horrible market share in others. The dominant areas almost always outperform the weaker markets. I am sure there would be a way to adjust for this, but this would have to be a critical part of such a business environment.

Yes, I did see the Dilbert cartoon. I love Dilbert and Office Space.
    When you're playing against a stacked deck, compete even harder. Show the world how much you'll fight for the winners circle. If you do, someday the cellophane will crackle off a fresh pack, one that belongs to you, and the cards will be stacked in your favor.
    -Pat Riley

At GE, they generally drop the entire bottom quartile.

I've worked with some ex-GE employees, and they were always very comfortable with that culture. You perform, you're taken care of. You can slack off for a year or so. But if you go into cruise control, you won't last long.

They had differing opinions on the evaluation criteria, but were also quick to admit that in reality, good management decisions came from the culture even if there was the occasional unfair/ unpopular decision.

If they were losing in a market, they would either commit themselves to winning the market (including appropriate measurement criteria) or they'd get out. They would not continue investing into a market in which they were losing and could not realistically win, whereas many companies continue to throw good money after bad ideas.