Thread: Recommend a movie for me

Default Recommend a movie for me

I have so little time for recreation that I need a lot of bang for my buck. I hardly can make it through a movie these days b/c my attention wanders thinking of all the other stuff I should be doing around the house.

I went to the video store last night and stared for about half an hour, but nothing looked good. Has anyone seen a really great movie that would keep my attention and be really interesting?
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Default Re: Recommend a movie for me

If you want a great movie to watch with your kids, get Wallace and Grommit: Curse of the Wererabbit. Very witty and charming stop-motion animation film.
    Won the Academy award for best animated feature and deservedly so.

The Godfather.

What type of movies do you like

Serious Sci-fi fans are saying X3 is the bomb, although I hear some of those looking for mindless diversion have criticized it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Godfather.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    What type of movies do you like
    Well, that's just it. I haven't seen a movie I've enjoyed for a long time.

I did like V for Vendetta a lot.

Something exciting and involving, but thought provoking as well. Nothing too heavy or emotionally draining - but something that can draw you in.

I liked Signs, even though it bit as a "real" scifi movie. The atmosphere was very exciting.

I like comedys, if they actually make me laugh but they rarely do. I rented an older Ben Stiller movie called Flirting with Disaster a while back that I liked. That was really funny, but had never heard of it. "Is this table musical?"

I'm usually so tired from work and the kids, I want something light and not too demanding, but my attention wanders so something that keeps me into it without my having to work too hard.

And a thank you to McS, but I've got kids movies coming out my ears. I want something for the wife and me after the kids go to bed. [and no Buttslammers III suggestions, thanks in advance]. I never saw the movie you're talking about, however, so I might get that too.

That was a lot of help, I'm sure, UncleBuck.
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere
    Serious Sci-fi fans are saying X3 is a bomb
    Fixed.

VT, it seems like you want a smart involving thriller that isn't too deep. Let me ask does your wife not like movies with a lot of violence?

I would recommend "Crash". Some might say it is too deep, but I don't look at it that way. But it is really involving. Maybe too emotional for what you want. Let me think some more.

Have you ever seen "Momento", "LA Confidential", or "Heat". All great movies.

First thought was the Coen Brothers.

Fargo, Oh Brother, where art thou? or Raising Arizona would all be great pics.

If you've seen those, check out their first film, Blood Simple.

Uncle Bucks mention of Momento reminds me of 11:14

VT, it seems like you want a smart involving thriller that isn't too deep. Let me ask does your wife not like movies with a lot of violence?

I would recommend "Crash". Some might say it is too deep, but I don't look at it that way. But it is really involving. Maybe too emotional for what you want. Let me think some more.

Have you ever seen "Momento", "LA Confidential", or "Heat". All great movies.
    My wife doesn't love violence, but she can handle some. Of course, she skews more toward romantic comedies but marriage is full of compromise.

Of the movies you mention I saw Memento. I was really good, but it took me a while to understand the whole time shift thing.

Another movie that was kind of wild was Time Code. Did anyone see that? I'm not going to say it was a great movie, but it was definitely interesting. The screen is split into four screens, all going simultaneously. Very interesting. The movie itself is a little dull, but the whole thing is great. Plus you get to see Selma Hayek kiss a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter
    First thought was the Coen Brothers.

Fargo, Oh Brother, where art thou? or Raising Arizona would all be great pics.

If you've seen those, check out their first film, Blood Simple.

Uncle Bucks mention of Momento reminds me of 11:14
    What's 11:14? If it's like Memento, I'd consider it.

I don't like the Coen brothers. O Brother was one of the few movies I've ever just walked out of because I was so bored.

See, that's my problem. I really like a movie that entertains me, but I can't find many. I will concede that I liked Fargo, though. Weren't they the ones who did Millers Crossing

VT, I assume you have seen "Jerry Maguire", that has some comedy, sports, romantic comedy and even a a few tears. It was a perfect guy and chick flick

You can never go wrong with "Fargo". I turned the video off of "O Brother" I just didn't get that either

VT, I assume you have seen "Jerry Maguire", that has some comedy, sports, romantic comedy and even a a few tears. It was a perfect guy and chick flick
    Yeah I have seen it, and that would be about the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
    What's 11:14? If it's like Memento, I'd consider it.

I don't like the Coen brothers. O Brother was one of the few movies I've ever just walked out of because I was so bored.

See, that's my problem. I really like a movie that entertains me, but I can't find many. I will concede that I liked Fargo, though. Weren't they the ones who did Millers Crossing
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com
    How is it possible that 11:14 went virtually unreleased in theaters? After modest film-festival exposure, it played briefly in San Francisco in August 2005 (over two years after it was completed), but that's a cruel twist of fate for such a cleverly twisted movie about cruel twists of fate. Destined for sleeper status on DVD (and given a slightly higher profile by Hilary Swank's subsequent Oscar-winning performance in Million Dollar Baby), the audacious debut of writer-director Greg Marcks boasts a fantastic cast in a smartly constructed comedy/thriller, partly inspired by Blood Simple, in which a fatal traffic accident is examined and re-examined from multiple perspectives. The flashback structure involves all of the characters and events that lead up to the accident's deadly occurrence at 11:14 on an otherwise pleasant evening in Middleton, a typical suburb of Anytown, USA (filmed in the vicinity of Los Angeles). Marcks's screenplay attracted an impressive ensemble cast (costar Swank also signed on as an executive producer), and they're all given equal time as the intertwined plots are revealed. They include Rachael Leigh Cook (whose bad-girl behavior sets the chain of events in motion); Patrick Swayze and Barbara Hershey as her worried parents; Swank and Shawn Hatosy as would-be criminals with a dimwit plan; Henry Thomas as a drunk driver whose involvement is deeper than we realize; and Colin Hanks as one of three teenage vandals on a fast track to trouble. With falling corpses, graveyard sex, reckless gunplay, and a severed penis, it's all in good, grisly fun (apart from intricate plotting, Marcks has no lofty agenda up his sleeve), and there's ultimately not much point to its random misfortune, but 11:14 is clearly the work of a promising filmmaker, worthy of rediscovery on DVD. Bonus features include Marcks's intelligent commentary, a standard behind-the-scenes featurette, and a useful "character jump" feature allowing viewers to choose a plot trajectory whenever one character encounters another. --Jeff Shannon

I just thought of another one too, Arlington Road with Tim Robbins & I think Jeff Bridges.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

"Arlington Road" is an entertaining movie that actually grabs you by the neck after about 15-20 minutes. Not too realistic, but very thrilling. Definitely on my list of better thrillers from the last 20 years. I liked "L.A. Confidential" and "Crash" a lot too, like UB recommended.

Other candidates could be: "The Usual Suspects", "Fightclub" (nice bizar storyline), "American History X", "Red Dragon", "The Untouchables", "Traffic", "Collateral", "Stirr of Echoes", "What Lies Beneath", "Shattered Glass", "Shaun of the Dead" (hilarious zombie parody from the UK), "Misery" and "Tombstone" these are in my personal opinion some nice and generally not too difficult to follow movies.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

If the wife likes Ton Cruise, "Collacteral" would be a really good choice. Excellent movie

National Treasure - if you haven't seen it, it's really good with no gory violence and is more of a action movie than a thriller.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    -- Albert Einstein

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Layer Cake

National Treasure and Misery are both really good.

I think Spanglish would be a movie your wife you like, and I think that you would probably. I am a huge Adam Sandler fan, but this is actually a complete turn around from say a Billy Madison or Big Daddy. It's a smart,thoughtful romantic-type comedy. The humor isn't a ROTF type, but it is clever and funny.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

Oh, and the 'Vacation' series with Chevy Chase is always hilarious, especially Christmas Vacation and the original.

The old Stand by for me will always be Forrest Gump, but I'm sure you've probably already seen that.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

Memento is better the second time around because you don't spend too much brain power or time trying to figure out the timeline.

How about Road to Perdition?
    action, some violence, some thought, but not very much. Good Hanks role.

Right now I'm watching the Reilly - Ace of Spies series for the second time and enjoying it very much. It first appeared on tv around 1980, starring Sam Neill, about a Russian who is a British agent around 1900+, supposed to be the spy Ian Fleming based 007 on. History and intrigue.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead Warrior
    Memento is better the second time around because you don't spend too much brain power or time trying to figure out the timeline.

How about Road to Perdition?
    action, some violence, some thought, but not very much. Good Hanks role.

Right now I'm watching the Reilly - Ace of Spies series for the second time and enjoying it very much. It first appeared on tv around 1980, starring Sam Neill, about a Russian who is a British agent around 1900+, supposed to be the spy Ian Fleming based 007 on. History and intrigue.

I loved "Road to Perdition", one of my alltime top 5. But a lot of people didn't like the movie. Many thought it was too slow and too dark. But I loved it