Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bah

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Bah

Do you ever feel like you're just completely unsatisfied with your life, but you don't have the power to change it without major moves that could cause more harm than good?

Ugh.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bah

Um...no, not really.

Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Um...no, not really.

Sorry!
    Lucky you.

What kinda major moves we talking?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    What kinda major moves we talking?
    Dropping out of school, for starters.

Me life is amazing, I'm never unsatisfied with my life. I will let you borrow it sometimes Shade.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade

Man, don't do it; that will probably make things worse. Making things better starts with yourself. Alot of times things really suck, but sometimes they have to be that way before they can be any better.

Yuck, optimism. See what you've reduced me to?

Stick with it, in the end it will make you feel better that you accomplished something. Plus, think of all the money you would have wasted on school
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

Wow! I really don't know what to say. Things must be pretty crazy if that's something that possibly needs to be done.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I'm not going to drop out of school, but I can't really do much to improve my current life unless I go to that extreme. That's the problem. I'm just stuck for at least the next two years, and it's frustrating.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not going to drop out of school, but I can't really do much to improve my current life unless I go to that extreme. That's the problem. I'm just stuck for at least the next two years, and it's frustrating.
    (Assuming dutch uncle old geezer robes)

TWO FREAKING YEARS?????????? You're concerned about being tied to two freaking years? (is this the wrong thread to be saying that?)

Dude, I have underwear older than that. Two years is a small price to pay for gettin' it right. I know it seems real sucky now, but go out and see what kinda job you'll face for the REST OF YOUR LIFE if you drop out of school. There are a few that make it big w/o college...there are a few that get recording contracts or are drafted by a pro sports team too...you have a better chance of getting struck by lightening.

Having said that, there are alternatives. Like night school. Like getting a job and laying out a year. Like becoming a Marine. All those really cool alternatives.

and BTW...it took me EIGHT years to get my degree at night school, while working a 40 hrs a week job and raising a family. Two years, dude you can do that standing on yer head....I know it don't seem worth it, but.....
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    (Assuming dutch uncle old geezer robes)

TWO FREAKING YEARS?????????? You're concerned about being tied to two freaking years? (is this the wrong thread to be saying that?)

Dude, I have underwear older than that. Two years is a small price to pay for gettin' it right. I know it seems real sucky now, but go out and see what kinda job you'll face for the REST OF YOUR LIFE if you drop out of school. There are a few that make it big w/o college...there are a few that get recording contracts or are drafted by a pro sports team too...you have a better chance of getting struck by lightening.

Having said that, there are alternatives. Like night school. Like getting a job and laying out a year. Like becoming a Marine. All those really cool alternatives.

and BTW...it took me EIGHT years to get my degree at night school, while working a 40 hrs a week job and raising a family. Two years, dude you can do that standing on yer head....I know it don't seem worth it, but.....
    I was going to stay out of this thread, but I couldnt after I saw this post.

I agree 100%.

I decided last year that I hated school so much I would go full time, and even found a job that paid me amazingly to do so. I moved out, worked all day, and then went to school every day of the week. I managed to pull a 3.1 and make some decent bread, but like geezer said it is a wake up call.

After doing that for a year, I decided to go ahead and cut my work back to part time and to go to school full time.

Sure things can seem frustrating, and trust me, this is coming from me, a person who still things college is overrated and that I can make it with out any college at all.

But after being in the real world (and realizing I dont have the capital to do what I want to do by myself) I realized the type of people I would be around (no offense, I made same great friends and learned a lot of life lessons) and I just decided that as long as the rents were willing to cover college, I would go ahead and stick it out.

I still have not committed to George Mason, so after I get my associates I still could call it quits, but for your sake if you are on the right path, just stick it out. And I had this discussion yesterday, but it seems like life goes in cycles. Sure it sucks right now, but in a couple of weeks/months it will go back to being good, and hopefully that comes sooner rather then later.

Also, geeze mentioned the military. My parents would both were marines (ehh are maries, do you ever stop being one?) and I wanted to enlist so bad, but both pushed me towards school and my current job. Nothing wrong with it though, and maybe something you should sit down and consider if you dont have any other options.

Best of luck!

I agree with Geezer and VA in that you need to keep focused on what your end point is going to be. I had a very good time in college, but it took me 6 years after graduating to get a job and some stability in my life. In those 6 years I worked as a custodian, a carny, at a window factory (for one week) as a substitute teacher, one year of real teaching ( which was the worst teaching year of my life), and 2 swings at Columbia House, during the first of which I met my wife.

I didn't get a full time teaching job until after 1 year of marrage and moving to Texas. While those 6 years were tough, I believe it all happened for a reason.

Of course, it's easy for us to give examples of our own and to tell you to buck up and hang in. Take some time to evaluate the situation and look at all of your options. You may see that you do need to take a break from school to get things in order. Just don't make a rash decision out of emotion.

Just to clarify, I'm not going to quit school. I've come too far and invested too much to stop this close to the finish line.

But, here's my situation; I'm broke. I basically grew up in poverty, so this is something I've been dealing with my entire life. It's just now really starting to boil over into major frustration. I've been able to get by because I've lived with 3 roommates with which I split bills, and I spend very little money outside of food and gas every week. Even then, I've been relying on my loan from school (which clears about $1500 or so after tuition and textbooks...so, about $300/month), and my parents try to help me out when they can (though they're only slightly better off than I am; my father is disabled and basically retired, and my mother works two jobs and I absolutely HATE it when she gives me money, especially since I only work about 5 hours a week now [I'll get to that in a minute].) It makes me feel awful. I've even been slowly selling my possessions, but I have very little left (my PSP is next on the block, and I'm scrounging through my old cards and comics to see if there's anything worthwhile in them to sell).

Well, my roommates are all leaving at the end of our lease in July. One of them is getting married, another wants to live on his own, and the third one is moving to Muncie to go to Ball State. My current job, which I have been at for over 5 years now, has cut my hours back to about 5 per week since I'm at the top of the pay scale (a whopping $10.00/hour). Since school ended, I've been putting in applications everywhere, but most places aren't hiring yet because most of the high schools are still in session (or at least, were until yesterday). In the meantime, I spend about $150 a week on food, gas, and other necessities, and $300 a month on other bills (rent, electric, phone, and utilities). That's about $600 a month just to survive...and my parents already take care of my car expenses outside of gas. It doesn't take a mathematical genius to figure out that when your bills are $600+/month and you only make about $160/month, there's a problem.

To top it all off, my social life sucks. I can't afford to even get out of the house to drive around because of the insanely high price of gas. I have no girlfriend (nor can I afford to go on a date). Food prices have slowly been increasing in my neighborhood. Not only can I not get ahead, I can't even stabilize. It pisses me off that I have to struggle so much to have nothing.

Even if I do manage to find a job, there's no way I can both work full time and attend school full time (I tried it before, and couldn't handle it; my classes require too much outside work). So, once school returns, I'm right back in my rut again.

I'm almost 28 years old now, and I won't graduate until I'm 30 (and I'll have to attend at least 1 summer session while taking 15-16 credit hours in each other semester to make that date). So, at 30 years old, I'll be starting over from scratch with nothing. That may not seem like too much to some of you, but there are many, many things that I didn't do as a child/high schooler that's pretty much routine, and I'm getting too old and feel everything slipping away, out of my control.

Hell, this is the first time I've really ranted about anything to anyone. I'm not comfortable brining this kind of stuff up, even though it's been eating at me for a long time. I don't like to wallow in self-pity and I don't want others to feel sorry for me, which is why I just bottle everything up. Even my best friends have no idea how frustrated I am with everything right now, and I have no idea how to fix any of it. So...I'm just stuck. For at least two more years.

Another thing is that I've been working hard to get into shape (yeah, I know I'm not in bad shape, but I'm not where I wanna be), so I don't have any of the traditional fall-backs that most people use to get through a day. I don't smoke, don't drink, don't have caffeine or coffee, and take in very little sugar and fat. I probably eat less in an entire day than most people do before dinner. Basically, my life is as dull as can be right now. The only reason I've been able to get through is because I keep my goals in focus. But it gets really, really hard sometimes.

Cant you get on Welfare or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    Cant you get on Welfare or something?
    I honestly have no clue how to go about doing that.

Considering the poverty level is about $8000/year last I checked, and I'm on pace to make less than half of that, I'd imagine I'd qualify.

Actually, I thought the poverty line was like $16,500, so hell yeah you should be able to qualify IMO.

Try to hang in there, man. You know how I've been frustrated on this end, so to an extent I can relate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Actually, I thought the poverty line was like $16,500, so hell yeah you should be able to qualify IMO.

Try to hang in there, man. You know how I've been frustrated on this end, so to an extent I can relate.
    Yeah, I know. I was already frustrated when I was able to barely stay afloat, but now no matter how I cut it, I can't figure out how I'm even going to be able to do that anymore.

LOL, my gross income to date is only $1634, and the year is almost half over. And that's BEFORE my hours got cut back to about 5/week. I'm only working 4 hours this week (tonight).

I honestly have no clue how to go about doing that.

Considering the poverty level is about $8000/year last I checked, and I'm on pace to make less than half of that, I'd imagine I'd qualify.
    Yeah you probably will qualify. You should give it a shot nothing wrong with it, other then dudes used to laugh at me when I would go and buy a ice cream with food stamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    Yeah you probably will qualify. You should give it a shot nothing wrong with it, other then dudes used to laugh at me when I would go and buy a ice cream with food stamp.
    Apparently, they do cards now instead of the old "stamps."

Like I said, I grew up in poverty, so I still remember what those old stamps looked like. I also remember standing in line with my mom waiting for government cheese. That's probably why I'm semi-lactose intolerant now.

Government cheese babyyyyy, Harder then a brick.

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

All of the financial problems you are having should be the motivation you need to finish school. If you suck it up for 2 more years then you will put yourself in very good position to live the life you have been working for. It will be worth it, keep fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue
    All of the financial problems you are having should be the motivation you need to finish school. If you suck it up for 2 more years then you will put yourself in very good position to live the life you have been working for. It will be worth it, keep fighting.
    You're absolutely right. I just hope I'm able to survive in the meantime with what I make now.

Shade, I sent you a PM

(God, I feel like I am calling a friend to tell her I send something via the mail, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    Shade, I sent you a PM

(God, I feel like I am calling a friend to tell her I send something via the mail, lol)
    Got it, thanks.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Don't give up, Shade.

You'll make it through this.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions