Thread: computer problems

Default computer problems

Time for my bi-annual computer problem thread.

This morning my computer won't boot up. It just goes to a black screen that says "put proper boot disk in" or something like that. Some guy at TSD told me I need to get a new boot disk off the internet, but I can't understand those guys.

Does anyone know what is going on and what I should do?

Something about partitions maybe? They're like little cubicles.
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

Default Re: computer problems

network engineer here...we need to know the exact msg your getting. please post it word for word.

just a hunch though...make sure you DONT have a non-bootable floppy in the a: drive.

OK, I'll check for sure tonight when I'm home then post it tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip about the floppy, but I can say without fear of contradiction that I did check for a floppy and I did check to make sure the computer was plugged in. Thank you, I'm fairly proud of myself.
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

If I figure it out, can I have the next student in your car?

OK, got it from my lovely wife. The message reads:

"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device"

If its any help, we've gotten this message in the past but did a ctrl+alt+del and it booted right up. That happened a number of times. Now, it just goes back to that message again and again.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I figure it out, can I have the next student in your car?
    My plan was for you to BE the next student in my car. Why do you always post on my computer problem threads and mess up my train of thought?

Look to see what key you need to hit to get into your BIOS when boot up begins. Usually it is the Delete key. Hit that upon booting and go into your BIOS and see if it is booting to your floppy drive. If you have a hardware malfunction that may be causing the problem. Change it to skip booting to floppy and just boot to your hard drive. Or you can change to a CD boot and stick your Window "##" disk in and hit F8 to boot that way.

Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere
    Look to see what key you need to hit to get into your BIOS when boot up begins. Usually it is the Delete key. Hit that upon booting and go into your BIOS and see if it is booting to your floppy drive. If you have a hardware malfunction that may be causing the problem. Change it to skip booting to floppy and just boot to your hard drive. Or you can change to a CD boot and stick your Window "##" disk in and hit F8 to boot that way.
    You are truly gifted at explanations I can't even read, let alone understand.

[edit] and please don't send me back to that scary military web site....

Quote Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
    My plan was for you to BE the next student in my car. Why do you always post on my computer problem threads and mess up my train of thought?
    So much for OUR weekly round of "naughty student".
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Hey hey, no one said anything about changing our routine Scott. Btowns just a little something on the side, you still my man.

You are truly gifted at explanations I can't even read, let alone understand.

[edit] and please don't send me back to that scary military web site....
    I see you have become so imbued in the slang of the rough Bloomington street culture that you can no longer understand English. For shame.

Is that Eraserhead on your avatar?

Well, I may have found the BIOS, whatever that is. I pushed some buttons when it was loading and it took me to some odd screen where I had some options. I chose boot and it seems to me that it may be trying to boot from the CD-ROM. I was afraid to change anything. Do you know what to do at that point?

I would try to boot from your hard drive first which is probably listed as IDE-0 or IDE-1 in your BIOS boot options. Then, if that doesn't work, try booting from the CD drive when you have your Windows "XX" CD in the drive. Alternately, you can hit F8 as the computer is booting to get different boot options such as safe mode. Mainly, just see if you can circumvent booting to floppy to see if that is the whole problem. Comprende?

Yes, the late Jack Nance. Eraserhead.

OK, I think you helped me fix it.

I went to what I think is the BIOS and found that it wasn't finding my hard drive. I just opened the thing up and fiddled with the wires and now I'm back up and running.

A BIG THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED EXCEPT BTOWN!

OK, I think you helped me fix it.

I went to what I think is the BIOS and found that it wasn't finding my hard drive. I just opened the thing up and fiddled with the wires and now I'm back up and running.

A BIG THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED EXCEPT BTOWN!
    What, like I didn't help last night?

Stop toying with me feelings.