Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Random thoughts thread 2006.....playoff edition.

Default Re: Random thoughts thread 2006.....playoff edition.

Wade > Kobe
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wade < Kobe
    There. I corrected it for you

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wade is better than Kobe based on the fact that he is willing to be Shaq's sidekick, wheras Kobe was not, so Shaq will go out of his way to make Wade look good, while the opposite was true of Kobe.

on their own merits, Kobe is much more talented.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Dear lord Mr. Basketball... did you not read what I said? The PAST TWO YEARS IN THE PLAYOFFS... aka when in Wade's first year he had Lamar Odom and Caron Butler and not much else, and then he had Shaq and a bunch of roleplayers in the second year... He basically made the team go those two years. Watching Wade against the Pacers in the playoffs his first year in the league is the moment I realized that Wade had become by far my favorite player in the league. He brings passion, energy, unselfishness, toughness, he is clutch, and he plays defense!!!! Lebron certainly is an awesome talent, but I just don't see him bringing the same intensity and passion to both ends of the court yet.

Oh and by the way, your "all-star" list is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time... Gary Payton? Jason Williams? Antoine Walker????? Alonzo Mourning??????? Gary Payton is getting old, although he still plays decent defense but does basically nothing on offense. Jason Williams is good for the occasional three and a layup, but that's it other than assists. Antoine Walker jacks up bad shots all the time, so he really can't count towards being a good thing plus his defense isn't all that great. Alonzo Mourning is a great shotblocker, but he certainly isn't a scorer. Shaq is of course Shaq and the only one that belongs on your list.

Lebron plays with Ilgauskas, who is an all-star, Larry Hughes (now anyway, I know he was injured) who was the league leader in steals and has a decent offensive game, Drew Gooden who can have some good nights, Flip Murray who is a slasher and can put up some points, and a decent veteran point guard in Eric snow along with the backup (his name escapes me at the moment) who happened to be the STARTING point guard last year on the Heat when they almost beat Detroit except Wade and Shaq were injured.

So basically, I don't know what world you're living in, but Wade is definately up there with Lebron right now simply because he brings passion and defensive intensity. Perhaps when Lebron learns to do the same I'll put him a little above Wade, but not until. I do rate Kobe as probably the best player in the league, however I'd probably take Wade over him due to Wade getting along with teammates better.

[Edit] Oh by the way... the game a few weeks back with Wade facing Lebron was easily the best game I've seen in years... I couldn't believe some of the things both players were doing and it was an incredible showing.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Some Spurs fans down here are rooting for the Lakers to lose tonight so they can see Kobie and his mates get squished like a bug in person. Of course, I wouldn't mind seeing the same happen to Artest and company here as well.

The second round should be interesting in that the two best teams in the West should put on quite a series. I think Phoenix should take care of buisness and make it to the WCF again. They are fun to watch and can play d when they have to.

Oh yea. I give Wade a slight edge in that he actually plays some decent defense when needed. He is also a better passer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Wade is better than Kobe based on the fact that he is willing to be Shaq's sidekick, wheras Kobe was not, so Shaq will go out of his way to make Wade look good, while the opposite was true of Kobe.

on their own merits, Kobe is much more talented.
    While I don't totally disagree with that statement people tend to forget how many times Shaq alluded to leaving.

The conflict I'm sure went both ways and that both people played a part in the "breakup".

Wade is not yet in any position to have a similar type argument over importance considering him and shaq hasn't been through in terms of accomplishments what shaq and kobe did.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mordecaii
    Oh and by the way, your "all-star" list is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time... Gary Payton? Jason Williams? Antoine Walker????? Alonzo Mourning??????? Gary Payton is getting old, although he still plays decent defense but does basically nothing on offense. Jason Williams is good for the occasional three and a layup, but that's it other than assists. Antoine Walker jacks up bad shots all the time, so he really can't count towards being a good thing plus his defense isn't all that great. Alonzo Mourning is a great shotblocker, but he certainly isn't a scorer. Shaq is of course Shaq and the only one that belongs on your list.

Lebron plays with Ilgauskas, who is an all-star, Larry Hughes (now anyway, I know he was injured) who was the league leader in steals and has a decent offensive game, Drew Gooden who can have some good nights, Flip Murray who is a slasher and can put up some points, and a decent veteran point guard in Eric snow along with the backup (his name escapes me at the moment) who happened to be the STARTING point guard last year on the Heat when they almost beat Detroit except Wade and Shaq were injured.
    Lets say Shaq vs Ilgauskas and Hughes is a overall wash. Are you seriously trying to tell me that you'd rather have Flip Murray, Eric Snow and Drew Gooden on your team than Gary Payton, Antoine Walker and Jason Williams?

Flip Murray should be a D-league all-star. Eric Snow is just plain terrible now and Drew Gooden is one of the biggest cancers/losers in the league.

SMH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Basketball
    Are you seriously trying to tell me that you'd rather have Flip Murray, Eric Snow and Drew Gooden on your team than Gary Payton, Antoine Walker and Jason Williams?
    At this point in their careers? I sure would.

Snow is the worst of the group but Id much rather have gooden over walker and Flip over Payton...

2 out of 3 aint bad.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by efx
    While I don't totally disagree with that statement people tend to forget how many times Shaq alluded to leaving.

The conflict I'm sure went both ways and that both people played a part in the "breakup".
    Don't confuse people with facts, efx. Next thing you know someone will start talking about how Shaq was holding the franchise hostage for a 5 year, 150 million dollar extension, screaming at the owner during actual games and then demanded a trade when he didn't get his way.

I might even have to rejoice in knowing that his ginormous extension (even though he got a much smaller one in Miami than he asked for in LA) isn't on the Lakers books for the next 4-5 years and they can actually reload.

Banned

At this point in their careers? I sure would.

Snow is the worst of the group but Id much rather have gooden over walker and Flip over Payton...

2 out of 3 aint bad.
    You must have stopped watching basketball. Flip is a d-leaguer and Gooden is trash...a career loser. More on Gooden..the man is a complete flake...I have so many damn stories on Gooden its amazing.

Flips a 9th/10th guy on an NBA team at best and Gooden will find a way to help your team lose, thats the only thing he's good at.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Basketball
    You must have stopped watching basketball. Flip is a d-leaguer and Gooden is trash...a career loser. More on Gooden..the man is a complete flake...I have so many damn stories on Gooden its amazing.

Flips a 9th/10th guy on an NBA team at best and Gooden will find a way to help your team lose, thats the only thing he's good at.

Payton shouldnt even be playng basketball anymore.

And don't talk about players that help you lose, and leave out Antoine Walker....

Banned

Payton shouldnt even be playng basketball anymore.

And don't talk about players that help you lose, and leave out Antoine Walker....
    Flip Murray..Eric Snow..and Drew Gooden.

I'm still laughing.

The original argument wasn't which player had the better supporting cast, but which was the better overall player at the moment. Your claim that Lebron should be insulted by having DWade compared to him is laughable. Wade has proved himself in the playoffs while Lebron has failed to even make the playoffs until this year. Personally I'd rate the overall talent level of the supporting cast of both players about equal, so in that case the only logical conclusion is that DWade has to be at least comparable to Lebron since his team has a better record and that was with Shaq missing a large portion of the season. (once again, I know that Hughes missed quite a few games too so call those two players being out a wash)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mordecaii
    The original argument wasn't which player had the better supporting cast, but which was the better overall player at the moment. Your claim that Lebron should be insulted by having DWade compared to him is laughable. Wade has proved himself in the playoffs while Lebron has failed to even make the playoffs until this year. Personally I'd rate the overall talent level of the supporting cast of both players about equal, so in that case the only logical conclusion is that DWade has to be at least comparable to Lebron since his team has a better record and that was with Shaq missing a large portion of the season. (once again, I know that Hughes missed quite a few games too so call those two players being out a wash)
    Sorry, man, I think Wade's a very good player, but he's not in Lebron's league. It's not really his fault either. If you equated it to boxing...Wade's pound-for-pound ranking might be #1 or #2 (AI), but even though he might be as talented as LBJ...you can't teach or learn size.

Both guys will improve a lot over the years still and if they show the determination that Kobe has shown to improve, they'll be all-time greats, but in the end, Wade's 6'4 and LbJ is 6'8. Wade's a very good player, but LbJ is transcendent. He's the biggest and strongest super-athletic wing player the NBA has known. Someday he might end up the one guy who combined the greatest qualities of Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan.

Wade just can't physically do the same things that Kobe, LbJ, T-Mac (when healthy), Vince Carter or Paul Pierce can do.

Every inch matters. How many times do you think Wade's been just a couple inches short of deflecting a ball, getting a blocked shot, getting his shot off without it being blocked, etc, etc. Not to mention his limitations on defense (though he does put our more effort than LbJ on that end of the floor right now.) While those guys can/have guarded PGs through PFs, Wade is limited to PGs and SGs.

For both of them, they're approaching a crossroads. Kobe, TMac, Pierce and Carter are their examples. At some point early in your NBA career, you realize that you're pretty damn good. Do you push yourself to be one of the greats or do you coast? Kobe's work ethic is amazing. Summer for him is just as grueling as the winter. Paul Pierce has worked hard as well. T-Mac's been limited by injuries, but Vince Carter has been a bum.

Either one of these two (or Melo, for that matter) could end up being the next Vince Carter if they don't push themselves. He's a bum..a dog..someone who wasted away his prime developmental years by being lazy. He was happy with where he was at and didn't want to put out the effort required to be one of the greats.

I don't expect that from either Wade or LbJ, though I wonder about Melo.

The Pistons get a NBATV game

Anyways...I'm psyched to see LeBron, Wade, and Kobe all in the postseason. This is the first playoffs where I am going to be able to actually enjoy the non Pacer games without really worrying about the Pacers.

Anybody think it's weird that in the past five years we've only played two teams in the first round: the Nets and the Celtics. And we've always played in either a 1-8 or 3-6 matchup.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom
    Anybody think it's weird that in the past five years we've only played two teams in the first round: the Nets and the Celtics. And we've always played in either a 1-8 or 3-6 matchup.
    Yeah...but when you think about it, NJ, Ind and Detroit have dominated the conference for the last however many years. Some teams have snuck in (philly, miami), but those 3 have been there pretty much through it all.

Looks like Lebron James is on a mission against the Wizards. Seems to me he's elevated his play slightly.

Typical Wizards. They always play horribly in game 1.

I expect a totally different outcome in game 2.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

LeBron James with a triple double in his first playoff game. Man, he's special. Although I don't like him forcing the shots he was in the last minutes of the game.

Cavs go up 1-0.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Tony Parker got to the rim at will in the first quarter and finished with 16 points.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

SA up 25 halfway through the 2nd. Yeah, Sac sure is for real.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I think when Ron made his guarentee he forgot what team he was playing for....

Ron is actuallly playing very well, considering SA is throwing 2-3 guys at him every play.

I'm getting kinda tired of all the shots of Eva Longoria in the crowd. It's like the Lakers 5 years ago, where every time they talked about Rick Fox they had to show Vanessa Williams in the crowd. "You know, Rick Fox is married to Vanessa Williams," they'd say every game. YES, we know. Everybody knows.

Anyway, Spurs with 73 points in the first half! Wow.