Page 1 of 62 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Random thoughts thread 2006.....playoff edition.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Random thoughts thread 2006.....playoff edition.

1st two confirmed playoff matchups as of 4/18.....

Western Conference:

#3 Denver Nuggets vs #6 LA Clippers (Clippers with home court)

#4 Dallas Mavericks vs #5 Memphis Grizzlies

At first glance, Dallas is a massive favorite over Memphis, but Memphis has historically played Dallas extremely well.

Also, don't discount Mike Fratello vs a much younger Avery Johnson. Fratello's style is very condusive for the playoffs.

Pau vs Dirk might be the best 1 on 1 matchup of the 1st round. Two big men having career seasons, and both play very different styles.

As for Denver/LA.....

Denver has a better team on paper. They have better chemistry, the better go-to guy, and the better defense.

However, home-court and the fact they really have nobody to guard Brand inside will really hurt them. LA also has the veteran leadership in Golem, while Denver is a bit younger.

In the end, whoever wins the frontcourt battle will probably win the series. Neither team gets a lot of production out of their guards on a regular basis.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Default Re: Random thoughts thread 2006.....playoff edition.

Dale!
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I think all of the western conference first round matchups are all very facinating. The east not so much.,

Start already!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think all of the western conference first round matchups are all very facinating. The east not so much.,
    I'd say any of the higher seeds could lose, except the Spurs. San Antonio has somehow become the most under-appreciated team we've seen in a long time. How many games did they win this year? And some people think that they're not the favorites in the West? Ridiculous.

The west is so interesting because the bottom 4 teams, Kings, Lakers, Clipper and Grizzlies are just so much better than the bottom 4 eastern conference teams. Plus the Nugs and Suns are very beatable.

The west is so interesting because the bottom 4 teams, Kings, Lakers, Clipper and Grizzlies are just so much better than the bottom 4 eastern conference teams. Plus the Nugs and Suns are very beatable.
    The irony is that the nuggets are easily the worst division winner in the NBA.....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

And the Grizzlies and the Clippers played an interesting game last night. The winner gets to play the Mavs and loser gets to play the Nugs and have homecourt advantage. The Grizzlies fans were cheering very loudly for the Clippers to win, but the Grizz pulled it out. (I'm joking about the who the fans were cheering for) But the NBA needs to correct this playoff format.

And the Grizzlies and the Clippers played an interesting game last night. The winner gets to play the Mavs and loser gets to play the Nugs and have homecourt advantage. The Grizzlies fans were cheering very loudly for the Clippers to win, but the Grizz pulled it out. (I'm joking about the who the fans were cheering for) But the NBA needs to correct this playoff format.
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=20671

I heard if we play the Nets a bunch of our games wont be on National TV, man would that be some bull**** or what.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    I heard if we play the Nets a bunch of our games wont be on National TV, man would that be some bull**** or what.
    Your playoff games are never on national TV. You should be used to it by now...

LeBron is going to get top billing. So will Wade. The Pistons will get their time too as the overall#1 seed.

Someone's going to get left out in the cold, and the Nets are the odd team out.

I'll be looking forward to see Brand in his first playoffs. It's a good match up but when the higher seed doesn't have the better record it loses some of the sexiness.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

So what they going to be on NBA Tv? I know League Pass doesnt show playoff games, I'm going to be pissed if I have to miss even one damn game.

So what they going to be on NBA Tv? I know League Pass doesnt show playoff games, I'm going to be pissed if I have to miss even one damn game.
    Typically there is one series in both conferences that gets two games that wont be televised on national TV.

For instance, last year it was SA/Denver and Indy/Boston.

Those games get shown on NBATV. It's the NBA's way of getting more people to carry their channel. Its been a very successful strategy thusfar.

Banned

I don't think I have to worry about whether or not the lakeshow will be on tv, which is nice.

I wish they'd go back to how they did it before they made the 1st round so drawn out..have games on at the same time on TNT and TBS..that would be awesome to have that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Basketball
    I don't think I have to worry about whether or not the lakeshow will be on tv, which is nice.

I wish they'd go back to how they did it before they made the 1st round so drawn out..have games on at the same time on TNT and TBS..that would be awesome to have that again.
    They werent as bad last year. The maximum of days between games was 2.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

But, if you get WB4, you'll get the games.....right?
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Sports Logo

FRAK......I would have hoped that most of the Playoff games would be televised.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

How are you guys not excited about Bron-Bron? Either he puts together a Wadeesque string of games or he just chokes horribly. It will be fascinating to see what Bron is like in the playoffs.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom
    How are you guys not excited about Bron-Bron? Either he puts together a Wadeesque string of games or he just chokes horribly. It will be fascinating to see what Bron is like in the playoffs.
    Did I just enter the twilight zone or something?

"Wadeesque" Are you kidding me?

Wade isn't worth of washing Bron's jock for him let alone bet he guy that Bron's getting compared to. The only person that Bron should be getting comparisons to in today's NBA wears purple and gold.

Anything else is an insult.

Wade isn't worth of washing Bron's jock for him let alone bet he guy that Bron's getting compared to. The only person that Bron should be getting comparisons to in today's NBA wears purple and gold.

Whoa. Hold on. I said Wadesque in that Wade was amazing from his first playoff series. Kobe was not. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes LeBron to adjust to the playoffs. Some players are HUGE during the regular season and just fade in the playoffs (i.e. Dirk) while others step it up during the playoffs (i.e. Kobe). I merely mentioned Wade because they were in the same draft class and because Wade adjusted so well in that first series against the Hornets.

p.s. I don't think you're giving Wade nearly enough credit.

um... WOW... Wade is an incredible player... and on top of that, in his first two years in the league he made a HUGE impact on his team in the playoffs, almost singlehandedly carrying them past some games. I would think that any player would be happy to have that kind of impact on his team during the playoffs... You don't give Wade nearly enough credit.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom
    Whoa. Hold on. I said Wadesque in that Wade was amazing from his first playoff series. Kobe was not. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes LeBron to adjust to the playoffs. Some players are HUGE during the regular season and just fade in the playoffs (i.e. Dirk) while others step it up during the playoffs (i.e. Kobe). I merely mentioned Wade because they were in the same draft class and because Wade adjusted so well in that first series against the Hornets.

p.s. I don't think you're giving Wade nearly enough credit.
    Ok, sorry..I misinterpreted your post as meaning that you were hoping to see if Bron could play on Wade's level in general.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mordecaii
    You don't give Wade nearly enough credit.

For both of you that said this:

Shaq
    Antoine Walker
    Gary Payton
    Jason Williams
    Alonzo Mourning

Wade plays on a freaking all-star team and is never double-teamed. Lebron plays with Ilgauskas and a bunch of stiffs.

As for what Wade has done in the playoffs...ummm..he's been good..can't say he's been great, but he's been good. He's not in a position where he has to carry a team right now and if he has to carry them in the playoffs, they have no shot against the Pistons (they have little shot as it is, in my book)

You lost me when you mentioned Walker and Payton.....