I think that the Indiana Pacers are likely to draft a point guard in this draft because they will draft the best player avaliable and I think the best player avaliable will be a point guard.
Here is the draft order before us:
1. Toronto - Won't take a point guard this high.
2. Chicago - Won't take a point guard this high.
3. Charlotte - Won't take a point guard this high.
4. Portland - They don't need a point guard.
5. Atlanta - My prediction is Randy Foye to be taken here.
6. Minnesota - Could use a PG but i'm guessing they won't pass up on Brandon Roy.
7. Boston - I'm guessing they take Rudy Gay with this pick.
8. Houston - They could use a point guard (Marcus Williams?) but I think they need a PF more and they are likely taking Sheldan Williams with this pick.
9. Golden State - Pretty much all their positions are filled except maybe center. My guess is they take Patrick O'Bryant. I defiantly can't see them drafting a point guard here.
10. Seattle - They have Luke Ridnour at the point. They are likely to draft a forward like Cedric Simmions incase they can't re-sign Chris Wilcox.
11. Orlando - I'm guessing they take a swingman. I'm sure that Rodney Carney or Ronnie Brewer will be on the board when they pick so I see them taking one of those guys or they could take JJ Reddick, I read they had interest in him.
12. New Orleans - They will not be taking a point guard. They have Chris Paul there, so no way they draft another point guard.
13. Philadelphia - I'm guessing they take Mardy Collins, he should be here.
14. Utah - They could take a point guard if they want Deron Williams playing the 2 guard for his career but I don't see that happening. I expect them to take a big man.
15. New Orleans - Like I said above, they don't need a point guard.
16. Chicago - Like New Orleans they don't need a point guard. With Duhon/Hinrich/Gordon a point guard (or any type of guard for that matter.) is not a need
And so that brings me to the Pacers.
I think that at the most, as the draft stands right now, Marcus Williams and Randy Foye will be off the board when we pick as far as point guards go.
I think it would be hard for the Pacers to pass up on Jordan Farmar or Kyle Lowry. If we pass up on one of those guys, i'm gonna be pissed.
Now of course there will probably be atleast one draft day trade and guys can move up or down the draft board with his performance in the pre-draft camp but as it stands right now, based on needs of teams picking before the Pacers, I see the Pacers taking a point guard because this class is pretty deep with point guards and one of them will likely fall into the Pacer's lap.