Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Bird Deserve Criticism For His Grammar?

Default Re: Does Bird Deserve Criticism For His Performance?: Conrad speaks out

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    True. And many of us do have a problem with the way Larry Bird speaks because it can reflect poorly on the rest of us Hoosiers that are educated and don't want to face the "hayseed" stereptype that Bird perpetuates.

Both sides of the argument have validity.
    I'm from the south. I could really care less about the stereotypes others from there perpetuate. I have no control over that. I can only concern myself with how others perceive me. And when people do find out I'm from the south, they usually say something to the effect of, "Wow, I would've never known that."

True. And many of us do have a problem with the way Larry Bird speaks because it can reflect poorly on the rest of us Hoosiers that are educated and don't want to face the "hayseed" stereptype that Bird perpetuates.

The non-Hoosiers who treat others poorly based on a stereotype such as this one are the ones with the problem. I don't want to try to please someone who looks down on others for something so stupid as that.

You think the above is valid reasoning?

People that think less of a person because of the way someone from the same state speaks are lacking in intelligence. I'm really surprised you would voice such a thought.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    You think the above is valid reasoning?

People that think less of a person because of the way someone from the same state speaks are lacking in intelligence. I'm really surprised you would voice such a thought.
    This thread seems to have brought out the worst in just about everybody, hasn't it?

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Which is why I've never liked it when people make fun of people for it.
    Guess what? He could LEARN to talk correctly if he felt so inclined. Many, many moons ago Ned Jarrett decided he needed to learn how to speak better so he went to Dale Carnegie. For those people from PS&E who lurk you might want to give Larry the following link:

http://www.dalecarnegie.com/

Larry is capable of speaking correctly. I even saw him do it once. In person. At the season ticket holder lunch with David Stern.

woman without a team

He shouldn't be expected to "overcome" it.
    If he still lived where he grew up and made minimum wage maybe I'd agree with you, but he doesn't, so I don't agree.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    Do you speak with perfect diction? I expect not, because most people don't. Unless you do what right have you got to criticize those who speak less perfectly than yourself? And why have you not made an effort to overcome it?

Never thought about it that way did you?
    I did and that's why I'm not on the motivational speaker tour.

I can guarantee you that if I gave an interview or made a speech I'd put forth extra effort to make sure what I said was what I meant and grammatically correct.

Cool Re: Does Bird Deserve Criticism For His Performance?: Conrad speaks out

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This thread seems to have brought out the worst in just about everybody, hasn't it?
    Not me!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bulletproof
    I'm from the south. I could really care less about the stereotypes others from there perpetuate. I have no control over that. I can only concern myself with how others perceive me. And when people do find out I'm from the south, they usually say something to the effect of, "Wow, I would've never known that."
    Right. I'm proud to be a Hoosier. But if I announce my Hoosier-ness either directly or by talking like an uneducated clod, then I'm setting myself up for a stereotype. My goal, frankly, is to get the, "Wow, I would've never known that" response.

From your reply, I'd say you really do care about the stereotype, or else you wouldn't strive for (or even notice) the "Wow, I would've never known that" impression.

I'm saying there is a difference between an accent and just plain bad grammar/ speech.

And yes, like Doug said, I've also been pre-judged to be "lack the intellectual capacity" to provide the consulting services that I'm actually good at. I even had a client from Boston tell me, "well, we knew Larry wasn't very smart off the court but we loved him anyway. I'm not sure I've ever encountered very many smart people from Indiana."

To which I replied, "Well, there are a lot of us, but we're having a hard time getting the message out." They assume, of course, that David Letterman and Jane Pauley were the only two and of course they "escaped."

For what its worth, we could have the same conversation and replace "Larry Bird" with "Dan Quayle" - maybe Quayle could ennunciate his words better but he still sounded like a total moron all the damn time.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

The non-Hoosiers who treat others poorly based on a stereotype such as this one are the ones with the problem. I don't want to try to please someone who looks down on others for something so stupid as that.
    Whether your first statement is true or not is irrelevant. In my chosen career, which I'm pretty good at, those are the people running Fortune 500 companies or top-fifty law firms or Big-four accounting firms that are going to hire or recommend hiring top-level consulting firms like the one I work for. I'm not looking to make many friends with them, because I do find this shallow. But I certainly need to "win them over" professionally.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Some people, I believe Red Auerbach is one, believed that Larry maintained the "Hick from French Lick" stereotype on purpose. People would perceive him as dumb while he would end up fleecing them. His persona was likened much like the guy who hustles you in a pool game.

When it comes to the game of basketball he is smart. He won as a player at all levels and he won as a coach. Perhaps he will be a poor NBA executive. I think it is a bit early to give him a complete grade, but I consider him to be a pretty intelligent guy. When I read his book I would learn about his frugality. He's probably managed his money better than your average NBA guy, and that takes some brain power as well.

He talks the way he does b/c he doesn't care what people think of him. What you see is what you get. He kind of reminds me of my old man in that regard.

He does perpetuate the Hoosier stereotype, but I'm not sure if he were well spoken that it would change things all that much.
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

Default Re: Does Bird Deserve Criticism For His Grammar?

I ain’t never saw no reason to say nothin' 'bout this yet.

Nosirree.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

From your reply, I'd say you really do care about the stereotype, or else you wouldn't strive for (or even notice) the "Wow, I would've never known that" impression.
    I don't care about the stereotype. And I don't strive for the "Wow, I would've never known that" impression. I could care less. It's just something I hear a lot. My brother, on the other hand, sounds like a good ol' boy. He doesn't care either. He's a colonel in the Air Force, holds an MBA and provides well for his family. Should he be concerned that his thick southern accent perpetuates a stereotype?

Seems to me, the people here who have a problem with the way Larry talks are predisposed to not liking him (for whatever reason). So no matter what the guy says or does, you're going to have a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by bulletproof
    Seems to me, the people here who have a problem with the way Larry talks are predisposed to not liking him (for whatever reason). So no matter what the guy says or does, you're going to have a problem with it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If I'm not even capable of getting upset that our president can't pronounce the word "nuclear," then why should I care that Larry doesn't speak properly?