Thread: For Those of you who Play the guitar...

Default For Those of you who Play the guitar...

I have a had a guitar for a really long time, but I've never had time to take lessons. Do you have any suggestions on how or what would be the easiest way to learn on my own?

Any Help would be really appreciated!
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

Default Re: For Those of you who Play the guitar...

There's tons of stuff online to help you learn, especially if you want to get grounded in theory. Also, if you know anybody who plays guitar, just hang out with them and absorb everything like a sponge. That's how I learned.

air guitar along to yngwie malmsteen cd's!

Take lessons. It'll give you the discipline to learn the basics in a relatively short period of time. I started off with 6 months of lessons and then a few years later took another 6 months of jazz guitar lessons. That improved my playing immeasurably.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Also, get a chord chart and the song books by some of your favorite artists and play along. This method has perks, like being able to adapt to different styles and manners of play. But this method also has pitfalls. For example, if you learn all of Bob Marley's songs and then write a song for yourself, your new song inevitably will sound like a bad Bob Marley knock off. That's tricky until you learn enough stuff from other people that you find your own voice in the mix.

It's very hard to not sound like a "me too" artist when you are copying. But if you are in it just for fun, then there is no harm in learning your favorite songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    For example, if you learn all of Bob Marley's songs and then write a song for yourself, your new song inevitably will sound like a bad Bob Marley knock off.

Haha, it's funny you say that, because the first song I wanted to learn was Bob Marley's "Redemption Song".

Thank you for the advice, LA, and everybody.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 8.9_seconds
    Haha, it's funny you say that, because the first song I wanted to learn was Bob Marley's "Redemption Song".

Thank you for the advice, LA, and everybody.
    You're welcome.

Redemption Song is definitely a crowd pleaser. Have fun & good luck!