Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 205

Thread: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

  1. #51
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,464

    Default Re: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not really.
    If you say so. Are you sure you are not in denial? :-)


    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  2. #52
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,482

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JJ is at his best coming off of screens ala Reggie. He also has incredible range and can make defenders pay if they play too far off of him.

    JJ is not a strong defender, but I'm not sure that he's any worse than Freddie.
    Wow thats a severe insult to Fred if you ask me.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  3. #53
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,464

    Default Re: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

    Quote Originally Posted by pacertom
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, he struggled to 41 points against Texas, 41 against Georgetown, 35 on back-to back road games at North Carolina and Maryland.

    Granted he did struggle against LSU. He can be streaky, and I don't think that he will be a star and maybe not a starter, but he will be a solid 10 year NBA player. That seems good value for #17, IMO.

    I'd be happy with Rondo too, since we haven't had anyone able to guard quick PGs in a LONG time. Maybe he can learn to shoot in afew years, like Tony Parker has. It depends upon his work ethic.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++

    Anybody that can score 41 points several times in a college season is not
    a fluke. A player like that puts severe pressure on a teams defense and
    makes other players that much more deadly. Some people want to compare
    him to Alford. They are different players.

    owl
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  4. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,667

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JJ is not a strong defender, but I'm not sure that he's any worse than Freddie.
    That is the second recent reference you've made to a lack of defensive abilities by Freddie. The other was in your "Should I Stay or Should I Go" thread.

    Which players on our roster do you believe are better defenders of opposing guards than Freddie?

    I'm of the opinion that Freddie is our best perimeter defender of guards, when he is focused.

  5. #55
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm of the opinion that Freddie is our best perimeter defender of guards, when he is focused.
    How often is that?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  6. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,667

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How often is that?
    I included the qualifier "when he is focused" because I don't believe Freddie is playing defense to the level prior to his injury last season.

    I believe that Freddie is capable of playing perimeter defense better than ANY of our other guards. At this point, I do not believe that he suffers from "Jalen syndrome", where he would actually "refuse" to play defense.

    I just think that the coaches have to re-establish an expectation that, if Freddie wishes to see court time, it will be because they primarily need his defensive talents on the floor.

    Offensively, Freddie needs to work on better ball control. Once he masters that, he can slash all he wants. But until then, his value and his court time should be dependent on the effort he offers on the defensive end of the floor.

    I believe that if the coaches establish those ground rules, then Freddie would return to form and once again be our best perimeter defender of opposing guards.

    If he's not willing to grow his game in that manner, then the Pacers should not attempt to re-sign him or they should work with him in seeking a sign-and-trade.

    But my point is that Freddie, if properly focused, is our best defender of guards. If at all possible, we need to retain our perimeter defenders.

  7. #57

    Default Re: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

    Larry won't take Redick, no way. Cabbage is a similar player, same size, and can play both guard spots.

    The mid first round is a complete crapshoot at this point, I've seen mock drafts slotting Redick and Rondo (lil' Haywoode) from 8th to 16th.
    basketbawful.com- The best of the worst of professional basketball. And there's a lot of it.

  8. #58
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

    Quote Originally Posted by himikey
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry won't take Redick, no way. Cabbage is a similar player, same size, and can play both guard spots.

    The mid first round is a complete crapshoot at this point, I've seen mock drafts slotting Redick and Rondo (lil' Haywoode) from 8th to 16th.
    Whoa, whoa. Hold on. Saras is a natural PG who happens to be a good shooter. He isn't really meant to play the 2. JJ is a natural but undersized 2 who specializes in shooting and scoring, not play-making, who can, but isn't meant to play the 2. How are they similar? And we know Larry likes Redick from past comments. If he's there, I'm fairly sure Larry won't pass him up.

  9. #59

    Default Re: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whoa, whoa. Hold on. Saras is a natural PG who happens to be a good shooter. He isn't really meant to play the 2. JJ is a natural but undersized 2 who specializes in shooting and scoring, not play-making, who can, but isn't meant to play the 2. How are they similar? And we know Larry likes Redick from past comments. If he's there, I'm fairly sure Larry won't pass him up.
    Redick is a better scorer, Redick and Jasike are both jump shooters, but Saras' Assist/TO ratio is horrible for a pure pg, he would be better suited for the combo guard role, like a Jeff Hornacek or Vinny Johnson.

    I'm just not sure what Redick brings to the table besides a lot of 3s. He's not a defender and doesn't create opps for his teammates. If that's the case, we could just trade the pick and give George McCloud a call...
    basketbawful.com- The best of the worst of professional basketball. And there's a lot of it.

  10. #60
    Member Moses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    3,565

    Default Re: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

    I want a shooting guard who can slash and create his own shot. That means not Reddick. Just because he's a great shooter doesn't mean he will be good in the NBA. I watched a few games involving Reddick going 3-18sh because they put a long defender on him.

  11. #61
    Member Frank Slade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Chaos
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,019

    Default Re: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

    Might as well revive the Mock Thread a number of sites have recently updated thier predictions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (1.Draft.Net
    Shannon Brown

    Updated June 4

    17. Indiana
    Shannon Brown 6-3 200 SG Mich St. Jr.
    So apparently from one Mich St Guard now to another according to this Site.
    I did read somewhere that Brown has already worked out with the Pacers..


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------Updated June 1..
    (2.)HoopsHype

    Sergio Rodriguez


    6-3 PG Estudiantes (Spain) / 1986

    Phenomenal ballhandling skills and court vision. A good athlete with nice size to boot. Started off the season slow, but is putting up NBA type assist numbers towards the end of the year in the toughest domestic league in Europe.

    Inconsistent perimeter shot and matador defense are huge knocks against him. Clearly a year or more away still.

    Comparison: Carlos Arroyo
    Rookie season salary*: $1,099,100
    Stats: 5.1 ppg, 3.7 apg, 2.6 rpg, 1.5 spg
    Ranking: 4th Point Guard / 3rd International

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (3.)Draft Express
    Sergio Rodríguez

    Updated June 1
    17 Indiana Pacers


    Name:Sergio Rodríguez
    Height:6' 3"
    Weight:170 pounds
    Current Team:Adecco Estudiantes , International

    NBA Position:PG
    Date of Birth:6/12/1986 (19 Years Old)
    High School:
    Hometown:Tenerife, Spain
    Earliest Draft Class:2005
    Current Position:PG
    Possible Positions:PG
    Best Case Scenario:Steve Nash
    Worst Case Scenario:Rafer Alston

    Sergio Rodríguez is an off-the-charts basketball talent; one of just a few players capable of surprising even the most knowledgeable minds in the game with his moves. A very creative playmaker, he has a superb ability to generate offense, whether for himself or for his teammates, based on an outstanding skill set.
    As you can see, there is nothing particularly special regarding his physical profile; what really sets him apart from virtually every other youngster is his skill set. To start with, Sergio is a terrific ball-handler. More in the line to what we usually see in American playmakers, he dominates the ball. High dribble, low dribble, crossover, behind-the-back dribble, he’s mastered every single variant at a young age with both hands. But he’s not an exhibitionist; it’s only a matter of gaining advantages through this skill. He’s really quick driving the ball, and creative in order to get to where he wants.
    Above are just portions of a much larger article..
    L I N K

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (4.)

    InsideHoops
    Mardy Collins

    Updated May 28th
    17. Indiana Pacers
    Mardy Collins (Temple, 6-6, 205, PG, Sr.)


    Highly versatile and fundamentally sound ballhandling type who can play the 1, 2 or the 3. Temple's main point guard, plays all 40 minutes for them more often than not. Tough and unselfish, controls the tempo and plays with lots of poise. Terrific off-the-ball defender. Not an incredible athlete or outside shooter. Temple's archaic system limited his numbers, but will be a better pro than college player.

    Comparison: Marko Jaric
    Rookie season salary*: $754,700
    Stats: 16.8 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 4.0 apg
    Ranking: 6th Point Guard / 8th Senior

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (5.)CollegeHoopsNet
    Rajon Rondo

    Updated May 31st-- (Next updated June 6th)
    17 Indiana
    Rajon Rondo
    College: Kentucky
    Class: Sophomore
    Stats: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player...playerId=22099

    Position: PG
    Height: 6’1”
    Weight: 171lbs
    Accolades: McDonald’s All-American (high school) (04), SEC All-Freshman Team (05), USA Men’s Under 21 Team (05).

    Scouting Report: A lightning quick, explosive leaping point guard with off the charts rebounding ability. Unfortunately he doesn’t possess much of a shooting touch.

    Strengths: Great penetrator and disher. His quickness allows him to blow by defenders, and he also has a nice passing touch. An unbelievably strong rebounder for a point guard (or for any position for that matter) – grabbed 19 boards in a game this year. He is also is a terrific defender – using his great quickness, long reach, and jumping ability to snare passes and loose balls.

    Weaknesses: Poor outside shooter. He hasn’t shown the ability to knock down the 3-point shot consistently. His big hands make his shot ugly to look at. He also is a horrible free throw shooter, although to his credit he has improved this year. Hasn’t been a big time scorer on the college level.

    Projected 2006 Draft Range: Late lottery pick.

    Consensus: Rondo’s quickness, leaping ability and defensive prowess make him a great NBA prospect. If he works hard on his shooting touch he could become an all-star point guard down the road. For the meantime defenders will continue to lag off him until he proves he can knock down jumpers.

    Why Not Us ?


  12. #62
    Member Frank Slade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Chaos
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,019

    Default Re: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

    6
    FoxSports
    Jordan Farmar

    Updated June 1st

    17. Pacers
    Jordan Farmar PG UCLA
    Grabbing a point guard would benefit the Pacers for two reasons: First, we don't know if Anthony Johnson's breakout showing in the playoffs will hold up for 82 games. Second, Jamaal Tinsely can't stay healthy for more than a week at a clip.

    Why Not Us ?


  13. #63
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

    Out of all those dudes I would want Mardy Collins the most. I really want a big PG like Shaun Livingston.

  14. #64
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,024

    Default Re: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

    Collins sounds really interesting indeed! The Spaniard could be good too IF we want a few years for him to develop, which I wouldn't personally be opposed to.

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  15. #65
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

    It's pretty unfortunate that Marcus Williams is the only legit PG in this draft, IMO. Everyone else has a glaring weakness, whether it be shooting, quickness or size. I know we need help there, but I just don't think Lowry, Collins, Farmer or Rondo are going to be anything better than average pros. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd rather take the best player available than take a flyer on any marginal point guard, we already have a bunch of those.

    I'd much rather have Hilton Armstrong, Shannon Brown, Ager or Douby instead.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  16. #66

    Default Re: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's pretty unfortunate that Marcus Williams is the only legit PG in this draft, IMO. Everyone else has a glaring weakness, whether it be shooting, quickness or size. I know we need help there, but I just don't think Lowry, Collins, Farmer or Rondo are going to be anything better than average pros. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd rather take the best player available than take a flyer on any marginal point guard, we already have a bunch of those.

    I'd much rather have Hilton Armstrong, Shannon Brown, Ager or Douby instead.
    Williams is the only legit PG in the draft? I couldn't disagree more.

    I don't think many drafts will have a deeper point guard class.

    Williams is the most complete PG in the draft, no doubt, but just because the others are not as well rounded doesn't mean they aren't legit PGs.

    Farmar or Serigo, get er done Larry!

  17. #67
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

    Quote Originally Posted by rommie
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Williams is the only legit PG in the draft? I couldn't disagree more.

    I don't think many drafts will have a deeper point guard class.

    Williams is the most complete PG in the draft, no doubt, but just because the others are not as well rounded doesn't mean they aren't legit PGs.

    Farmar or Serigo, get er done Larry!
    Legit was probably the wrong word. But he's the only one I'd want to hand the keys too. I don't see any of the others as potential All Stars, and only one or two others that are even going to be very productive starters in the long-term.

    Just my opinion though, and I haven't actually seen that much of Collins and none of Serigo. But I watch a lot of the Big East, and I seriously doubt Lowry is anything special. And I'm not big on Farmar or Rondo at all.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  18. #68
    Thanks Kesty! Pig Nash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,478
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

    Out of all the people I've seen projected, I like Collins the best for our spot. Also, I'm glad this is a good PG draft because I think it's our best shot at shoring up that position.

  19. #69
    Member BoomBaby31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles (Marina del Rey)
    Posts
    1,958

    Default Re: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

    I'd probably shed a happy tear if Reddick dropped that far. Reddick is goin to go 4-7 no later but, I hope I'm wrong

  20. #70
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,024

    Default Re: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

    Reddick a top-7 pick? I would REALLY be surprised IF that happenned. Not totally impossible, offcourse, but unlikely I would say.

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  21. #71

    Default Re: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

    Sergio sounds good to me.

    Excellent ballhandler, passer, penetrator, playmaker... his skills are not duplicated by any Pacer on the roster unless Tinsley is 100% healthy and loses some weight.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  22. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

    I'd love Hilton Armstrong or Josh Boone, either of the former Huskies...

  23. #73
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

    Mardy Collins, please.

    No reason really to draft another center. Most centers need a few years. Even a guy like Hilton Armstrong won't be more ready than David was. Improve David instead. Guy has obviously shown potential-get him a big-man coach.

  24. #74
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,614

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

    Here's a very interesting read on one of Adam Morrison's recent workouts by DraftExpress.

    http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1327

    This kid is gonna be something special.....not Ron Artest "Special Ed kid with a helmet" special.....Larry Bird special ( that maybe a stretch....but he sounds rather impressive ).
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  25. #75
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,614

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

    One more thing....it looks like the Pacers are gonna work James White out on June 15th.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •