Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

Default Re: The mock draft thread, 2006 NBA draft

I'm a big fan of Mike Gansey from West Virginia. Too early to take at 17 but he's a lights-out shooter who isn't one dimensional. Complete player although he is small.

Quote Originally Posted by Ev_eezy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd bet we won't be picking 17th if thats the guy Bird says he has his eye on.
    Anyone remember Bird trying to trade up and everyone thought he wanted
    Luke Jackson but the player he REALLY wanted was Ben Gordon.
    I would not be surprised to see Bird try and move up. He is still
    looking for a scorer. If Shelden Williams fell to the Pacers I would be
    very happy with that too.

owl
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by owl
    Anyone remember Bird trying to trade up and everyone thought he wanted
    Luke Jackson but the player he REALLY wanted was Ben Gordon.
    I would not be surprised to see Bird try and move up. He is still
    looking for a scorer. If Shelden Williams fell to the Pacers I would be
    very happy with that too.

owl
    Yes, we all know your feelings on Shellhead Williams.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    I will be stunned if JJ falls to 17th. He and Morrison were neck-and-neck all season for National POTY, and Morrison is projected to go 13 spots higher?
    That's because JJ is the perfect college player, but there are a lot of questions as far as whether or not he is an NBA type talent.

There is no doubt he can shoot the ball, but one demensional players can be shut down in the NBA much easier then they can in the college game.

Morrison being 6'8" and his ability to attack the basket makes him a much more attractive NBA player.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac@Section216
    That's because JJ is the perfect college player, but there are a lot of questions as far as whether or not he is an NBA type talent.

There is no doubt he can shoot the ball, but one demensional players can be shut down in the NBA much easier then they can in the college game.

Morrison being 6'8" and his ability to attack the basket makes him a much more attractive NBA player.
    Ah, forgot how short JJ was.

Good call.

[QUOTE=SycamoreKen]Is Reddick tall enough to play the 2 spot? Is he athletic enough to defend at this level? [QUOTE]

Nope
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

reddick would be ideal if mgmt feels that freddie is going to get an offer to high to match.

jj will never be a premier SG in the NBA due to his size and lack of athleticism.....but he could be a great 6th man. a guy you can use off the bench to spread the D, bring offense, and a guy you can use late in games to hit big shots. he has a high basketball IQ as well.

what does everyone think of lowry out of nova??? i think he's an intriquing PG prospect. great defender, court vision, and decent scorer. a lot of ppl compare him to tinsley, but with defense. only 20 years old too. his numbers don't do him justice either as he had to sacrifice offense to allan ray and foye.

Reddick sucks. No way should we pick him. Ronnie Brewer,Kyle Lowry is where its at.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Yes, we all know your feelings on Shellhead Williams.

You were the last holdout, glad to see your coming around.
    My mission is complete. :-)

owl
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

People have issues with Ben Gordon because of his size and he is very
    athletic. So Reddick will certainly have issues also esp on the defensive side.
    He would be great addition but the rest of the team has to pick up the defensive slack. If he is not available then maybe go for a James
    White in the second round. At 17 take the best available player
    or fill a need as most of the players after 16 will all be the same risk.

owl
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Mood

Would Reddick at least make a good backup 2? Replacing 6'2" Fred Jones with a 6'...4" isn't it? deadly shooter sounds good to me, though I'll miss the defense (even though with Fred people just shot over him anyway and/or posted him up).

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    Reddick sucks. No way should we pick him. Ronnie Brewer,Kyle Lowry is where its at.
    i like brewer a lot too. he's got potential to be a great all around player.

if we are looking for a backcourt player....i want either brewer, lowry, or jj.

From Bird's press conference.

Q. How do the pieces fit together at point guard?

A. The one thing I would like to see is a little more quickness in the backcourt.

Notice that he was asked about point guards and the first thing out of his mouth was he wanted more quickness in the back court. I'm assuming he meant at the point since it's our points that allow most of the penetration.

I think what Bird plans to do is go into next season with three point guards. I think Eddie Gill will not be resigned. And I think he will trade either Tinsley or AJ. I think he will look to pick a point in the draft, which round would depend on how things go. I think it would be someone with potential, but has quickness and can guard people now. So what I have been doing is looking at quick points.

The problem there is I'm not a talent judge I just read profiles. I think some of you that are should look at quick points that can also shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    From Bird's press conference.

Q. How do the pieces fit together at point guard?

A. The one thing I would like to see is a little more quickness in the backcourt.

Notice that he was asked about point guards and the first thing out of his mouth was he wanted more quickness in the back court. I'm assuming he meant at the point since it's our points that allow most of the penetration.

I think what Bird plans to do is go into next season with three point guards. I think Eddie Gill will not be resigned. And I think he will trade either Tinsley or AJ. I think he will look to pick a point in the draft, which round would depend on how things go. I think it would be someone with potential, but has quickness and can guard people now. So what I have been doing is looking at quick points.

The problem there is I'm not a talent judge I just read profiles. I think some of you that are should look at quick points that can also shoot.
    Good point. I wouldn't be the least suprised if we drafted a PG this year. There will be some good ones out there.

Take a look a some of them:

Rajon Rando: Quick and good defenseively. I hate the fact that he can't shoot though.

Kyle Lowry: This guy is my pick. Great all around PG prospect. Good athlete, good leaedership, good shooter, good ball handler and passer. Just a good all around PG.

Jordan Farmar: Not quick, but because he is probably the best passer in the draft, he is a possiable pick for sure but the lack of quickness makes him a less likely pick by the Pacers.

Jose Juan Barea: Great passer and scorer. Also has great quickness. Problem is lack of size and strength. Probably wouldn't be picked at 17 but I could see Bird making a trade for this guy, or maybe even gambling on him at 17, who knows?

Sports Logo

Anyone considering drafting a solid perimeter defender?

To me...that is one of the glaring weaknesses that we have......Granger is our best perimeter defender....but he can't guard everyone on the perimeter.

We have many needs to address.....PG definitely being one of them....but given that we at least have somewhat decent PG rotation....if we do nothing but trade Tinsley.......I would try to address the need for perimeter defenders in the draft.

Someone here pointed out Bobby Jones. He's a definite roleplayer....and because acquiring a perimeter defender through a trade is much harder then drafting one....I would much rather waste the 2nd round pick on a perimeter defender at the 1 to 3 spots.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    Anyone considering drafting a solid perimeter defender?

To me...that is one of the glaring weaknesses that we have......Granger is our best perimeter defender....but he can't guard everyone on the perimeter.

We have many needs to address.....PG definitely being one of them....but given that we at least have somewhat decent PG rotation....if we do nothing but trade Tinsley.......I would try to address the need for perimeter defenders in the draft.

Someone here pointed out Bobby Jones. He's a definite roleplayer....and because acquiring a perimeter defender through a trade is much harder then drafting one....I would much rather waste the 2nd round pick on a perimeter defender at the 1 to 3 spots.
    ???????????? Did you read this thread?

I don't see how redick can't be useful. As long as you get him screens, he will get off shots and usually make them. Good, clutch shooter with plenty of experience? Where do I sign up?

If Bird made a comment about wanting a specific player I suspect it is
    Reddick. Bird has made comments in the past that Reddick was the
    best shooter since himself. I would not be dissappointed at all if he was
    obtained.

owl
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

What if we had a way to obtain another pick? Kyle Lowry is just too good a prospect to let slip through our fingers IMO. However I would also like to get JJ because he has the total offensive package at SG. A midrange game is a lost art these days and Larry was one of the best midrange threats of all time. He knows what a great jumpshooter can do for a team.
    Does JJ's size and lax defense scare me? No not at all. He may not have all the tools to be a great defender, but he has the best work-ethic coming out of college basketball this year and I know he would put in time to become a decent defender. I would take a kid like this over Jackson as my STARTING point any day of the week. Fans would love and embrace him too because of his leadership and winning attitude.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I want nothing to do with JJ. If you saw any of his games against athletic defenders you saw him struggle. Particularly against LSU in a NCAA TOUrNEY game JJ did not even show up. People can blow this BS about how clutch he is and all that, but he played in a system designed just for him to succeed. That will not happen in the NBA your below average NBA defender that has decent athleticism will shut JJ down with ease. I reiterate I want no part of this guy. He is Steve Alford take two.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731
    I want nothing to do with JJ. If you saw any of his games against athletic defenders you saw him struggle. Particularly against LSU in a NCAA TOUrNEY game JJ did not even show up. People can blow this BS about how clutch he is and all that, but he played in a system designed just for him to succeed. That will not happen in the NBA your below average NBA defender that has decent athleticism will shut JJ down with ease. I reiterate I want no part of this guy. He is Steve Alford take two.
    JJ is at his best coming off of screens ala Reggie. He also has incredible range and can make defenders pay if they play too far off of him.

JJ is not a strong defender, but I'm not sure that he's any worse than Freddie.

Quote Originally Posted by owl
    You were the last holdout, glad to see your coming around.
    My mission is complete. :-)

owl
    Not really.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    ???????????? Did you read this thread?
    From what I have read....most suggest drafting a PG that is quick and defend.....I'm suggesting that we just draft a perimeter defender....whether it is at the 1 to 3 spots.....not just draft a PG that can defend another PG.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731
    I want nothing to do with JJ. If you saw any of his games against athletic defenders you saw him struggle.
    Yeah, he struggled to 41 points against Texas, 41 against Georgetown, 35 on back-to back road games at North Carolina and Maryland.

Granted he did struggle against LSU. He can be streaky, and I don't think that he will be a star and maybe not a starter, but he will be a solid 10 year NBA player. That seems good value for #17, IMO.

I'd be happy with Rondo too, since we haven't had anyone able to guard quick PGs in a LONG time. Maybe he can learn to shoot in afew years, like Tony Parker has. It depends upon his work ethic.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

The thing to remember about JJ is that part of the reason he struggled against LSU is because they were able to just focus on him. He was Duke's best scorer and only scorer other than Sheldan Williams.

I really don't want JJ on the Pacers though. I like his game but I think with our need for defense and quickness in the backcourt we can fill that need by taking say Kyle Lowry or Rudy Fernandez, not JJ Reddick.