Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBA All-Defensive Team Selections announced

Exclamation NBA All-Defensive Team Selections announced

Bruce Bowen earns sixth consecutive All-Defensive Team honors
    Ben Wallace Tops 2005-06 NBA All-Defensive Team Selections

NEW YORK, May 11, 2006 – Four-time Defensive Player of the Year Ben Wallace of the Detroit Pistons highlights the 2005-06 NBA All-Defensive Teams, the NBA announced today. Making his fifth consecutive appearance on the All-Defensive First Team, Wallace is joined by leading vote-getter Bruce Bowen of the San Antonio Spurs, named to the All-Defensive Team for the sixth consecutive season.

Also selected to the First Team are forwards Andrei Kirilenko of the Utah Jazz, making his third All-Defensive Team appearance, and 2003-04 Defensive Player of the Year, Ron Artest of the Sacramento Kings, named to the All-Defensive Team for the second time. Tying in votes received and rounding out the First Team are guards Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers and Jason Kidd of the New Jersey Nets, receiving their sixth and seventh All-Defensive honors, respectively.

Wallace was the only player in the league to finish in the Top 10 in rebounding (11.3 rpg, fourth), blocks (2.2 bpg, ninth) and steals (1.8 spg, 10th). Usually assigned to the opposing team’s biggest offensive threat, Bowen’s stellar one-on-one defense helped the Spurs hold opponents to 88.8 points per game, second in the league. Kirilenko tallied an NBA-best 220 blocks this season and finished second in blocks per game (3.2). [

Since joining the Kings on Jan. 25, Artest posted three or more steals in 14 outings and led the squad to a 25-14 run to capture their eighth straight playoff berth. Bryant ranked ninth in the NBA in steals with 1.8 per game, while Kidd finished eighth with 1.9 steals per game while averaging 7.3 rebounds.

The NBA All-Defensive Second Team consists of Denver’s Marcus Camby, Detroit’s Chauncey Billups and Tayshaun Prince, Minnesota’s Kevin Garnett and San Antonio’s Tim Duncan.

The voting panel consisted of the NBA’s 30 head coaches, who were asked to select NBA All-Defensive First and Second Teams by position. Coaches were not permitted to vote for players from their own team. Two points were awarded for a First Team vote and one point was awarded for a Second Team vote.

Attached are the results for the 2005-06 NBA All-Defensive Teams:

2005-06 NBA ALL-DEFENSIVE FIRST TEAM: Position Player, Team 1st 2nd Points
    • Guard Bruce Bowen, San Antonio 26 3 55
    • Center Ben Wallace, Detroit 26 2 54
    • Forward Andrei Kirilenko, Utah 19 6 44
    • Forward Ron Artest, Sacramento 11 8 30
    • Guard Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers 12 4 28
    • Guard Jason Kidd, New Jersey 9 10 28

2005-06 NBA ALL-DEFENSIVE SECOND TEAM Position Player, Team 1st 2nd Points
    • Forward Tim Duncan, San Antonio 7 9 23
    • Guard Chauncey Billups, Detroit 7 9 23
    • Forward Kevin Garnett, Minnesota 4 10 18
    • Center Marcus Camby, Denver 2 11 15
    • Forward Tayshaun Prince, Detroit 3 7 13

Other players receiving votes, with point totals (First Team votes in parentheses): Rasheed Wallace, Detroit, 12 (3); Gerald Wallace, Charlotte, 11 (3); Shawn Marion, Phoenix, 11 (1); Raja Bell, Phoenix, 9 (2); Dwyane Wade, Miami, 8 (3); Kirk Hinrich, Chicago, 7 (3); Alonzo Mourning, Miami, 7 (1); Shane Battier, Memphis, 6 (1); Gilbert Arenas, Washington, 4 (1); Andre Iguodala, Philadelphia, 4; P.J. Brown, New Orleans/Okla. City, 3; Manu Ginobili, San Antonio, 3; Dwight Howard, Orlando, 3; Josh Howard, Dallas, 3 (1); Brevin Knight, Charlotte, 3; Shaquille O’Neal, Miami, 3 (1); Elton Brand, L.A. Clippers, 2 (1); LeBron James, Cleveland, 2 (1); Tony Parker, San Antonio, 2 (1); Quinton Ross, L.A. Clippers, 2 (1); Allen Iverson, Philadelphia, 2; Eddie Jones, Memphis, 2; Jason Collins, New Jersey, 1; Boris Diaw, Phoenix, 1; Pau Gasol, Memphis, 1; Trenton Hassel, Minnesota, 1; Mike James, Toronto, 1; Richard Jefferson, New Jersey, 1; Ruben Patterson, Denver, 1; Chris Paul, New Orleans/Okla. City, 1; Jason Terry, Dallas, 1; Yao Ming, Houston, 1.

L I N K

Why Not Us ?

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: NBA All-Defensive Team Selections announced

The most interesting part of this is that the only players from the east are the 3 from Detroit and Jason Kidd (who was lit up by Anthony Johnson of all people). All other recipients are from the west.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The most interesting part of this is that the only players from the east are the 3 from Detroit and Jason Kidd (who was lit up by Anthony Johnson of all people). All other recipients are from the west.
    I was about to post the same observation.

Also interesting to note some of the players who got votes but didn't make first or second team:

- Kirk Heinrich: 3 first team votes!
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Ok, Jason Kidd got votes by name only. That is some bs. Why isn't GP on here by that logic?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

3 Pistons on the the teams. Rasheed Wallace was only 1 point away. D-Town is taking over basketball!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by blanket
    - Kirk Heinrich: 3 first team votes!
    If you're trying to say Kirk isn't a good defender you're dead wrong. Kirk is an excellent defender.

Kirk is a great defender, he is without question one of the best defensive point guards in the NBA.

If you watched him defend Wade in the first round of the playoffs, it is rather obvious how good a defender he is

No, not surprised Hinrich got votes, only that he got as many FIRST TEAM votes as he did.

Of all the young peoint guards in the league, I've said he's the one I would most want to be a Pacer.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Sports Logo

I think we should make a run for any of those players in the 1st, 2nd and Honorable Mention list that are good perimeter defenders.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Runi didnt get any votes?
    I was ready for Josh Smith to go to Indiana, but he went to the NBA. I am ready for him to come to Indiana once again.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by tinsley#11
    Runi didnt get any votes?
    I thought he did a fine job guarding that chair he was sitting on from getting taken by someelse.

Sports Logo

Just like the Pacers probably made a mistake in leaving Primoz unprotected in the Expansion Draft for the Bobcats....the Kings made a huge mistake when they left Gerald Wallace unprotected.

I can only imagine how much of a defensive team the Kings would have been with a Gerald Wallace / Ron Artest SG/SF tandem.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    Just like the Pacers probably made a mistake in leaving Primoz unprotected in the Expansion Draft for the Bobcats....the Kings made a huge mistake when they left Gerald Wallace unprotected.

I can only imagine how much of a defensive team the Kings would have been with a Gerald Wallace / Ron Artest SG/SF tandem.
    If they had kept Wallance would they have traded for Artest or signed Wells. The world will never know.....

I find it interesting that no one on the entire Pacers squad even got a vote...

and we were supposed to be a team that played tough defense...
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

As soon as I saw "Jason Kidd," as well as 6 players in a starting line-up, my mind shut down.

We had 4 guys make it last year. This year, only 3. I'm a little peeved SHeed didn't make 2nd team again, but oh well.

One of these years, Rip will be on it. EVery year his defense gets better.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by jcouts

You didn't catch a lot of games this year did you.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo

I'm not surprised.....cuz we essentially sucked it up on defense after the ASB. Besides...there was no single player that would be considered.....any resemblance of defense was a team effort.

When you lose a defensive player of Reggie's caliber it's hard to make that up.

grego

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom
    Ok, Jason Kidd got votes by name only. That is some bs. Why isn't GP on here by that logic?
    Kobe did too. He can play 1st team defense, but it hasn't been there consistently for a year or two.

KStat,

As I consider you ot be a knowledgeable NBA observer, I was taken aback at your comments regarding Richard Hamilton. Though I consider him to be among the more vulnerable SG's in the league from a defensive standpoint, I know you see him far more frequently than I do and am curious as to what you see that I don't.

Or were you being sarcastic and it went over my head?

MJB

P.S.: I am in total agreement with you on R. Wallace. In fact, I placed him 3rd on my Defensive Player of the Year ballot (NBA requires 3 names) behind B. Wallace and Bowen.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313
    P.S.: I am in total agreement with you on R. Wallace. In fact, I placed him 3rd on my Defensive Player of the Year ballot (NBA requires 3 names) behind B. Wallace and Bowen.
    Mr.Boyle,

You're comments about Rasheed surprise me. Most of us here in the PD Forum don't view Rasheed in the right light...probably for obvious Pacer-Pistons rivalry reasons....but it seems that his defense is fairly underrated....as most observers don't even think of him as a "defensive" player.....but know primarily as the guy that has our "offensive" number everytime he plays the Pacers. I didn't realize that his "defensive" prowess was that good.

Mr.Boyle,

You're comments about Rasheed surprise me. Most of us here in the PD Forum don't view Rasheed in the right light...probably for obvious Pacer-Pistons rivalry reasons....but it seems that his defense is fairly underrated....as most observers don't even think of him as a "defensive" player.....but know primarily as the guy that has our "offensive" number everytime he plays the Pacers. I didn't realize that his "defensive" prowess was that good.
    I see Sheed as instrumental to their defense. He can usually take away the opposing PF and completely neutralize them. If you want to beat the Pistons, usually you have to have at least one or two big scorers who aren't being guarded by him (Manu, TP).

As for Rip, I tend to agree somewhat with KStat. Although he seems to me to be their weakest link, he is a good team defender and he is only really beaten consistently on defense when he has someone bigger take him. And he is really getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313
    KStat,

As I consider you ot be a knowledgeable NBA observer, I was taken aback at your comments regarding Richard Hamilton. Though I consider him to be among the more vulnerable SG's in the league from a defensive standpoint, I know you see him far more frequently than I do and am curious as to what you see that I don't.
    Rip's an excellent defender against anything but sheer size. I think he took a lot of things Bruce Bowen used against him in 2005, and put them to use for himself. For the most part, Rip did a pretty good job against Michael Redd in round one this year, and Rip has carried that over into doing a great job defensively against Larry Hughes.

There was a point during this season where Rip went up against Joe Johnson, Jamal Crawford and Ricky Davis, and held all three to a combined 6-30. He was voted NBA player of the week that week, on the strength of his defense. Anytime the Pistons match up with a super-quick guard (Iverson, Wade, Paul) Rip always gets the assignment, and he's done very well.

One of my favorite moments last year was in the conference finals when Wade was really hurting us, Rip went to Larry Brown and asked to let him guard Wade. That showed me a lot in terms of his growth.

I'll be the first to admit, Rip's size puts him at a disadvantage against guys like Stephen Jackson in the post, but Rip will never fail based on effort. He gives as much effort defensively as he does offensively. Every year Rip Hamilton gets a little better defensively. He used to be a weak link, now he's gotten to above average. I think eventually he'll be known for being a solid defender, and now he's getting most of the assignments that used to go to Tayshaun.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I didn't realize that his "defensive" prowess was that good.
    Am I misreading this? From a positional and team defense perspective Rasheed Wallace is as good of a defensive big man as there is in the NBA. He doesn't get the huge block numbers but you can sure build a defense around what he does on the court.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire