Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: QOD; Should Granger Bulk Up To Bang Inside?

  1. #1
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,046

    Default QOD; Should Granger Bulk Up To Bang Inside?

    http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question.html


    Should Granger Bulk Up To Bang Inside?

    Friday, May 12, 2006

    QUESTION
    OF THE DAY
    Conrad Brunner

    Q. (Danny) Granger played the three and four spots this year and did a pretty good job for a rookie. He also defended players like Kobe (Bryant), Vince Carter, Richard Jefferson, and Paul Pierce, just to name a few. One analyst out here in Sacramento said that if this kid adds 10 to 15 pounds of muscle he could be a nightmare for other teams. I think if he adds the muscle it will improve his post-up game as well as make life much tougher on the guys he will defend next year. What do you think? (From Kirven in Sacramento, Calif.)

    A. This answer hinges on how you view Granger's NBA future. If you believe he is best suited to play both forward spots, then it would seem reasonable for him to bulk up a bit in order to better contend with power forwards. My belief is he is better suited to shooting guard as a secondary position and not power forward.

    At 6-9 and 228 pounds, Granger already has an ideal frame for a small forward. His primary physical attributes are quickness, athleticism and footwork. As you mentioned, he has defended shooting guards and small forwards with some effectiveness, showing potential to become a perimeter stopper as he learns the nuances of the game as well as the tendencies of his opponents. Offensively, he has the mid-range and 3-point shooting to blend with the abilities to either post up or drive. To my way of thinking, his skill set screams swingman.

    He played semi-regularly as a power forward out of necessity his rookie season and struggled mightily against the bigger bodies. To add bulk could mean two things: it could slow him down, mitigating the advantages of his athleticism, as well as increasing the risk for injury because the extra load his legs must carry. I don't think it's a coincidence that Jermaine O'Neal's two injury-plagued seasons came after he bulked up from 250 to 265, and I'd expect to see him back at his former playing weight in 2006-07.

    I understand your point, and do believe Granger should work to increase his strength but not his bulk. To do the latter would be an attempt to turn him into something he is not, and those types of experiments generally fail.
    ------------------

    GREAT ANSWER!

  2. #2
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,981

    Default Re: QOD; Should Granger Bulk Up To Bang Inside?

    Conrad has it right.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  3. #3
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,011

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: QOD; Should Granger Bulk Up To Bang Inside?

    He only has it right, when discusssing the impacts of of adding "bulk" through stereotypes.

    Although it's not the specific path I'm wanting to take, in order to get my degree in Exercise Science I have to take numerous classes detailing what exactly weightlifting does, positives and negatives.

    Adding "bulk" is stupid, and misdirected. Adding strength is what needs to be talked about, and it would only bring positives.

    Weightlifting is so much more complicated than doing your certain lift 10reps of 3 sets. Adding 5lbs of lean muscle mass, while strength training, would do wonders.

  4. #4
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,080
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: QOD; Should Granger Bulk Up To Bang Inside?

    look at the Piston players. Not exactly bulky (Ben wallace exclude). Tay is lean but strong enough to bang...

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,654

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: QOD; Should Granger Bulk Up To Bang Inside?

    I would agree that he should add strength, but that could be said for amost any athlete in any sport. Strength is always a good thing.

    However, our team suffers from a shortage of decent perimeter defenders. So at this time, I think it would be unwise to risk any of Danny's perimeter quickness by instructing him to add weight. We need his ability to defend perimeter players much more than we need him to have added bulk in the paint.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,316

    Default Re: QOD; Should Granger Bulk Up To Bang Inside?

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He only has it right, when discusssing the impacts of of adding "bulk" through stereotypes.

    Although it's not the specific path I'm wanting to take, in order to get my degree in Exercise Science I have to take numerous classes detailing what exactly weightlifting does, positives and negatives.

    Adding "bulk" is stupid, and misdirected. Adding strength is what needs to be talked about, and it would only bring positives.

    Weightlifting is so much more complicated than doing your certain lift 10reps of 3 sets. Adding 5lbs of lean muscle mass, while strength training, would do wonders.
    Wow 86, didn't we just have a similar discussion a week ago? Makes you wonder who frequents these boards?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  7. #7
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,011

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: QOD; Should Granger Bulk Up To Bang Inside?

    Yes, it does.

    But reading the article on JO, really makes me wonder about the teams Strength and Conditioning coach.

  8. #8
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: QOD; Should Granger Bulk Up To Bang Inside?

    In all my years of watching basketball I've never thought any player should add bulk. Strength yes, bulk no. I'm a big believer in players playing at a certain weight that their bodies can handle and when they don't here come the injuries

  9. #9
    Tim
    Guest

    Default Re: QOD; Should Granger Bulk Up To Bang Inside?

    I think its too early to tell. He needs to be included in the offense, we need to see him get consistent touches with him facing the basket and in the post.

    Right now the best I can tell is if you give Danny a set jumper he will bury it from almost anywhere.

    If he can develop just 1/2 of Grant Hill's ability to slash to the basket (in his prime) we will have an automatic all star.

  10. #10
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,566

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: QOD; Should Granger Bulk Up To Bang Inside?

    My belief is he is better suited to shooting guard as a secondary position and not power forward.

    At 6-9 and 228 pounds, Granger already has an ideal frame for a small forward. His primary physical attributes are quickness, athleticism and footwork. As you mentioned, he has defended shooting guards and small forwards with some effectiveness, showing potential to become a perimeter stopper as he learns the nuances of the game as well as the tendencies of his opponents. Offensively, he has the mid-range and 3-point shooting to blend with the abilities to either post up or drive. To my way of thinking, his skill set screams swingman.

    He played semi-regularly as a power forward out of necessity his rookie season and struggled mightily against the bigger bodies. To add bulk could mean two things: it could slow him down, mitigating the advantages of his athleticism, as well as increasing the risk for injury because the extra load his legs must carry.
    I totally agree here. I would prefer it if he had to play another position...alongside the expected SF minutes....that it would be at the SG spot. If anything....he's our best perimter defender now...even if Freddie resigns....and worse...I don't want him to be pushed around and abused by bigger PFs/Cs inside the paint.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,654

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: QOD; Should Granger Bulk Up To Bang Inside?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In all my years of watching basketball I've never thought any player should add bulk. Strength yes, bulk no. I'm a big believer in players playing at a certain weight that their bodies can handle and when they don't here come the injuries
    There are exceptions.

    A few years ago, you might recall that Al Harrington had a serious back condition. In layman's terms, he was said to have a "narrow spine", which was explained to me to mean that, for a man his size, he just didn't have much supporting structure to his spine in his lower back.

    He was advised that to continue to play basketball that he must strengthen his lower back, which is one of the hardest areas to target.

    So Al worked out with a private strength and conditioning coach, but he also added bulk to his lower body to help his condition. That's when he went from about 235 to 250.

    It must have helped, because with the exception of his knee injury, Al has been playing ever since.

  12. #12
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,011

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: QOD; Should Granger Bulk Up To Bang Inside?

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So Al worked out with a private strength and conditioning coach, but he also added bulk to his lower body to help his condition. That's when he went from about 235 to 250.

    It must have helped, because with the exception of his knee injury, Al has been playing ever since.
    Basketball player's, for some odd reason, do not train their lower bodies like other athletes.

    They're legs are sticks, and I'd imagine their thighs and hamstrings are just
    as small.

    Developing a strong base will actually relieve joint pain, like knees (Bender was just too far gone for it too do any good IMHO), and also strengthen the surrounding tissue to help prevent injury.

    People think any added muscle size/strength is a good thing, when in reality, it can really damage what you're trying to do.

    Hell, if I did bicep curls all day and never trained my triceps, I could literally tear my tricep. It's the same with lower/upper portions. Players have to learn to balance what they're trying to do.

  13. #13
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,233

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: QOD; Should Granger Bulk Up To Bang Inside?

    Why don't we actually go out and acquire some "bangers" rather than expecting finesse players like Danny and JO to sacrifice their games and bodies to become something they're not?

  14. #14
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,202

    Default Re: QOD; Should Granger Bulk Up To Bang Inside?

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Adding "bulk" is stupid, and misdirected. Adding strength is what needs to be talked about, and it would only bring positives.

    Weightlifting is so much more complicated than doing your certain lift 10reps of 3 sets. Adding 5lbs of lean muscle mass, while strength training, would do wonders.
    Truth!!!! This is what Granger needs to do including JO.
    Did no one learn from the Smits fiasco on the training staff????????????????????????????????????????????? ????


    owl
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  15. #15
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: QOD; Should Granger Bulk Up To Bang Inside?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why don't we actually go out and acquire some "bangers" rather than expecting finesse players like Danny and JO to sacrifice their games and bodies to become something they're not?
    Someone print this post out and send it to Donnie....
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •