Thread: Controlling Ricky Davis is the key to winning this series

Default Controlling Ricky Davis is the key to winning this series

Let me first ask how many of you can name the 5 Celtics starters without looking it up. I can't. I gave up on the Celts several weeks ago, and have not been watching them at all.

The Celts are a lot different from last season. New coach, new system, only three players from last year.

Couple of general observations:

Mark Blount has really improved his game, he is now a factor and someone the Pacers have to account for. Mihm is also a very good rebounder.

Celts are not nearly the defensive team they were one year ago, they don't play the same style of flooding the strong side and leaving the weakside open, they are not nearly as good but are more traditional in their approach.

I figure the Celts will win one game and that one game will be when Ricky Davis has more than 22 points. In my mind he is the guy the Pacers have to keep down, if he scores less than 15 in a game the Pacers win. Reggie has trouble guarding him, Artest can keep him down, but Artest will be on Pierce, although you might see AL on Paul and Artest on Davis at times. But I also think Freddie will play a key roll guarding Ricky Davis

Chucky is also a factor, he can get very hot from 3 point land, look for him in the 4th quarters.

Of course Pierce is their main guy we all know that, Artest will do a better job than anyone in the league on him. Keep him off the free throw line and keep him from getting 20 point quarters because that is what killed us last season.

Overall the Celts offense is as good as last season, maybe even better, but their defense is not nearly as good. They have no one to guard Artest and will likely double team him, and J.O.

The point guard matchup is key. Tinsley has to outplay Chucky, not outscore, but he has to outplay him. Tinsley has had some of his better games against him, and in the past Jamaal has been able to use his size and strength to overpower Chucky.

Default Re: Controlling Ricky Davis is the key to winning this series

The problemt that I see is that every year people guard JO and double team him, and then the guards don't make their jump shots. Of course, Reggie will help with that. And also look for the improved Tins to make shots.

And hopefully JO can dominate like he did last year.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

sweabs

Let me first ask how many of you can name the 5 Celtics starters without looking it up. I can't. I gave up on the Celts several weeks ago, and have not been watching them at all.
    This is just my guess:
    1) Chucky Atkins
    2) Jiri Welsch
    3) Paul Pierce
    4) Walter McCarty
    5) Mark Blount

If Boston won this series IMO it would be the biggest playoff upset in league history - at least since I've been following it. It would completely eclipse the Denver-Seattle upset from about 10 years ago.

In fact, Boston is probably the worst team to ever make the playoffs. I absolutely cannot conceive of how the Pacers can lose this series.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Mood

I think if JO gets doubled, we'll try to cut to the basket instead of just hovering around the perimeter like last year. JO's good at dropping a pass to a cutter, and that could lead to some easy buckets.

We also really need to work against zone D...we had some problems with that last night.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I think if JO gets doubled, we'll try to cut to the basket instead of just hovering around the perimeter like last year. JO's good at dropping a pass to a cutter, and that could lead to some easy buckets.
    That is an exellent point. Two reasons why that will be different this year. Pacers coaching is better. But more importantly the Celtics style of defense is different. Last year they fronted and brought weakside help and then the other defenders zoned and packed in the lane, thus clogging all cutting lanes. This year the Celts won't do that and the lanes will be open.

One thing I've heard too much in the media already is that this "isn't the same Celtics team that beat the Pacers last year." It's like a built-in excuse already in case the Pacers win, as if the Pacers would be in real trouble if the Celtics were the same team as last year. In case most of the NBA media hasn't noticed, the Pacers aren't the same team as last year either, even though most of the players are the same. I wish this Pacers team WAS playing last year's Celtics. Something tells me we'd be seeing alot less mouth from Pierce and Walker if we did.
    Can we get a new color commentator please?

I've typed this twice and got an error on submission and lost it (WTF?)

I see the C's play at least once a week (no league pass, sniff.)

UB is right in that for the Pacers, assuming Pierce is contained, Davis is the toughest cover.

He is streaky, almost Sprewellian to invent a word (with more range than Latrell). When on, Reggie would need A LOT of help, or bench (Freddie to the rescue...)

Blount and Mihm aren't stiffs. Blount in particular moves well without the ball and has good hands. They run alley-oops for him off pick-and-rolls and backdoor cuts, something good defense should stop.

Backup PG Marcus Banks is wicked quick. The good news is that after he beats his man, he rarely finishes well or makes a good pass after drawing help.

Jiri Welsch hit a wall a month or so ago. His shot, his defense (which was good), and even his hustle have tapered off. He has never played anywhere close to the minutes he's been getting.

The C's lack the defensive intensity or offensive versatility to hang with the Pacers unless the blue-and-gold are playing very poorly or suffer a key injury or two.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I disagree. I think Mark Blount is the most important Celtic player. He'll be a free agent this year, and I would LOVE to see him come to the Pacers. Blount and Jermaine up front with Foster backing them both up? My dream. He's the ultimate lunchpail/hardhat type guy, and as has been said, he's not a stiff.

I also disagree about Jiri's defense... every game so far against the Celtics this year, Reggie has broken Jiri's ankles. That's rough.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!