Thread: Insider request. Intel Report: Artest willing to play for free next season

Default Insider request. Intel Report: Artest willing to play for free next season

Default Re: Insider request. Intel Report: Artest willing to play for free next season

I'm not gonna paste the whole article, because it's very long, but here's the part you asked for.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insid...ereport/060508
    Artest Makes Gallant Offer
    The Maloofs might make this some sort of binding verbal agreement. Ron Artest claims he would play next season free of charge if the Kings bring back coach Rick Adelman and bruise brother Bonzi Wells. Adelman does not have a contract extension, never mind the eight consecutive playoff berths and near-miraculous turnaround this season when the campaign looked lost in January. Wells will be a free agent and is sure to draw considerable interest from teams after he took San Antonio to task in the first round. He also was the Kings' most steady performer in the regular season when he wasn't hurt, according to team president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie.

Here's the Pacers part:
    Pacers Must Step Back To Improve
    Well, I'm not privy to the team's finances, and while I know the Simon brothers could buy and sell me many thousands of times over, I don't know how willing they are to field a sub-standard team that doesn't produce home playoff purses. From a purely competitive standpoint, though, that is exactly what the Pacers need to do. Blow it up. Tear it down. Start over. Play the lottery. Get busy in free agency once the big contracts -- notably the Austin Croshere deal -- expire. Take two steps back, maybe three, before taking the largest steps forward. -- Indianapolis Star

Default Re: Insider request. Intel Report: Artest willing to play for free next season

I'd think the union would have something to say about that unless he's talking donating his entire salary to a charity.... and what good (besides for PR) does that do the Kings?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

He's just grandstanding. Just like when Knight said he'd give his salary back at Texas Tech that one time. Never actually happen, and no one believes him anyway.

Artest is one strange puppy!!! His agent probably would have something to say about that, not to mention the player's union!!!

Artest is never good for his word. He'll change his mind in at least 3 days.

Thanks gilpdawg !!!!

He's saying that knowing they won't let him do it. He also said he owes Indiana a championship remember...

Talking Re: Insider request. Intel Report: Artest willing to play for free next season

Quote Originally Posted by Ev_eezy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's saying that knowing they won't let him do it. He also said he owes Indiana a championship remember...
    June 9, 2007: Pacers vs Kings NBA Finals Game 7.

Artest had a chance to win the game for the Kings, but he threw the ball out of bounds at the buzzer to assure the victory for the Pacers. Afterwards, he said "I told them I owed them a championship and I delivered".

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

There's supposed to be a full article in the Sacramento Bee. I don't want to register there, so if anyone can get the Sac Bee article, please paste it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    There's supposed to be a full article in the Sacramento Bee. I don't want to register there, so if anyone can get the Sac Bee article, please paste it. Thanks!
    http://www.bugmenot.com/view/www.sacbee.com
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Here it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by SacBee
    Kings notes: Artest makes gallant offer
    He says he'll forgo his salary if Wells and Adelman are brought back.
    By Joe Davidson -- Bee Staff Writer
    Published 2:15 am PDT Sunday, May 7, 2006
    The Maloofs might make this some sort of binding verbal agreement.

Ron Artest claims he would play next season free of charge if the Kings bring back coach Rick Adelman and bruise brother Bonzi Wells.

Adelman does not have a contract extension, never mind the eight consecutive playoff berths and near-miraculous turnaround this season when the campaign looked lost in January. Wells will be a free agent and is sure to draw considerable interest from teams after he took San Antonio to task in the first round. He also was the Kings' most steady performer in the regular season when he wasn't hurt, according to team president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie.

"I'll give up my next year's salary to keep Bonzi Wells," Artest said.

Then he added about Adelman, a coach who put the ball in the man's hands and allowed him to create and attack, all while maintaining his penchant for defense: "I'll give him my salary, too."

Danger signs - Two players who needed to have big playoff series in order for the Kings to survive were veterans Mike Bibby and Brad Miller.

Both struggled. Bibby shot 33 percent (he struggled in the playoffs last year, too). Miller's scoring average dipped from 15 a game in the regular season to 9.2 against the Spurs, and he managed just 18 rebounds in six games.

"I'm upset and mad," Bibby said of his performance.

Bibby's salary swells to $12.5 million next season, and Miller's goes up to $9.6 million.

Carril status - Pete Carril, the longest-tenured Kings assistant coach, is not exactly sure where he will be next season.

He'll either return to the Kings and continue mentoring young players such as Kevin Martin, or he'll retire in or near his beloved New Jersey, where he coached at Princeton.

Carril, 75, has maintained all season that he wants to return to the Kings only if he feels "wanted." The players want him back, to a man, as do the coaches and Petrie.

"I feel wanted, yes," Carril said. "But I haven't made up my mind yet if I'll come back."

Wells on his status - Wells said he will not return to his native Indiana, where he runs camps and clinics, until June at the earliest. His kids are in school, and he'd like to stick around long term, all things considered.

"It's a business, and I can't take it personally (if he is not re-signed or is traded)," Wells said. "I've been part of trades before, but I've told (management and ownership) that I don't want to go anywhere. I'm very happy here. I love the community, I love the city and I love the fans.

"They can sign me if they want to."

Rick on scheduling - Adelman was more than willing to speak on behalf of Spurs coach Gregg Popovich about the quick turnaround for the defending champions, who closed out the Kings late Friday, flew back to Texas on Saturday and had to prepare for the Dallas Mavericks in an early game today.

"It's a travesty they play Sunday afternoon," Adelman said. "Who in the world thinks that's fair to play another game within 36 hours with the travel? I know Pop won't say anything, but it's a travesty."

Adelman then paused, smiled and said, "I don't think they can fine me for that, can they?"
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by IndyHoosier

Artest had a chance to win the game for the Kings, but he threw the ball out of bounds at the buzzer to assure the victory for the Pacers. Afterwards, he said "I told them I owed them a championship and I delivered".
    I was thinking along the same lines before I ever read this! (laugh)
    I wasn't going to give mine until I read yours.

Again Pacers vs Kings NBA Finals Game 7. The Pacers are leading by one and time has aspired, but Artest has been fouled. He misses both free throws and then says, "I told them I owed them a championship and I delivered".

Here's the part I found interesting:
    Danger signs - Two players who needed to have big playoff series in order for the Kings to survive were veterans Mike Bibby and Brad Miller.

Both struggled. Bibby shot 33 percent (he struggled in the playoffs last year, too). Miller's scoring average dipped from 15 a game in the regular season to 9.2 against the Spurs, and he managed just 18 rebounds in six games.

"I'm upset and mad," Bibby said of his performance.

Bibby's salary swells to $12.5 million next season, and Miller's goes up to $9.6 million.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How is Ron going to afford to buy back all those Pacers jerseys then?

This coming from a guy who tried to work at Circuit City in Chicago to get the employee discount.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg
    He's just grandstanding. Just like when Knight said he'd give his salary back at Texas Tech that one time. Never actually happen, and no one believes him anyway.
    Except that Knight actually followed through.

I may be wrong but, I believe Knight did give his whole salary back to the school in a form of charity, or he donated it to the loop(a highway that does a complete circle through town) in Lubbock can't remember which one.

No matter who the Kings sign or who they put together they are never going to win a championship as long as the Spurs are around and healthy. The spurs have so much chemistry they are going to keep winning until someone gets luck and with 7 games series I doubt that is going to happen.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just incoherent ramblings from a ten cent head....

Nothing to see here but pure stupidity...

Move along, move along.

Now THAT was funny! Bravo!

Artest changes his mind as much as I change shirts. Which at a minimum is daily. Except for those few binges in college.

He says it now, and next season he'll be saying he'll sit if they don't pay him more than his current contract.

Sports Logo

Artest is one strange puppy!!! His agent probably would have something to say about that, not to mention the player's union!!!
    Don't forget....Artest's agent is stupid...he might think its a good publicity stunt.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Ahh, but he did. And it was a real nice thing to do especially since all but $25k of his contract was paid by Indiana University in the final year of his pay out of his existing contract after he was fired. He made it into a donation to the University. It was not grandstanding but rather a nice shove into the university that fired him because all of their money, in reality, was donated to TTU.

But I will say he kept his endorsement money which is much more substantial than his salary. If he chose to donate that money than that would have been a really great gesture
    Two=the number 2
    Too=means "also"
    To=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (two, too) do not apply.

Their=shows ownership-'it is their house'
    They're=they are
    There=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (their, they're) do not apply

Sorry but it bugs me when these are used incorrectly when I read posts on PacersDigest.com.

Well looks like Ron is going to keep his money after all