Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can we talk about AJ for a minute?

Default Re: Can we talk about AJ for a minute?

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm fine with AJ starting next year. He's not our future at PG, but he can be our present for a while. Yes, he's not a point-first point guard, but Rick doesn't want one. If we can't get an Andre Miller, get the best 2 you can and we'll be competitive next year.
    right on. i think AJ has more than earned the starting spot (and not from just one game's performance). efforts should be made in replacing dead weight
    elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    About getting totally emotionally attached to one player?

Who is the player I revere more than you revere Jermaine?
    Its whatever. On your best day you cant be me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    Its whatever. On your best day you cant be me.
    Dude, I'm not better than anybody. That's not my point.

I'm just saying you're not really in a position to complain about people having outrageous emotional attachments to NBA players, when you're Exhibit A.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Jermaine O'neal is one of the best players in the NBA. Earl Watson is not better then AJ. You decide who you get attached to.

There was a point in the third quarter where AJ was completely gased, I mean I thought he was going to fall down, he never crossed midcourt on one offensive possession. He did regain his energy in the 4th

Who is the player I revere more than you revere Jermaine?
    It's not a who, but...

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Jermaine O'neal is one of the best players in the NBA. Earl Watson is not better then AJ. You decide who you get attached to.
    I'm not attached to either one, so it's no skin off my back who is better. But you're obviously not getting my point.

Anyway, enough of this. The thread is supposed to be about AJ.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

It's not a who, but...

U mad, doggy? If we R picking teams, I roll with:

15th edition, baby! Nobody reads that crappy Oxford style guide. It can't touch the CMoS.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    There was a point in the third quarter where AJ was completely gased, I mean I thought he was going to fall down, he never crossed midcourt on one offensive possession. He did regain his energy in the 4th
    The whole team was gassed for about the first 10 minutes of the 3rd - or played like they'd been gassed. Or something.

I was completely floored by the lack of passion on both ends of the floor from a team in an elimination game. Nets drove to the basket at will, Pacers didn't run a decent set for about 5 minutes - ugly stuff. The Granger/AC 3's along with AJ's bucket at least made it interesting the rest of the way.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I think this just proves Anthem's post

U mad, doggy? If we R picking teams, I roll with:

15th edition, baby! Nobody reads that crappy Oxford style guide. It can't touch the CMoS.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

True.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great game by AJ. We needed everything he gave us.

Considering we were missing three starters, somebody had to step up. Kudo's to AJ.

But in spite of his heroics, if he's got to play like that its a bad situation in the first place.

I don't really want my PG taking 23 shots when my franchise player only gets 14. Yes, we can't make an entry pass right now, and I'd rather have a PG take fewer shots than AJ and get the ball to JO in the right spot.

I'm happy to keep AJ as the team's combo guard. We need a starting caliber PG. And if you want a score-first PG, there are plenty of them available. I wouldn't like any of them, but you get get Terry, or Francis, or Marberry, or the kid in Toronto that everyone's drooling over.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mabye the "franchise" player is not really cut out to be a "franschise" player.

He's a post player. Every post player depends on somebody to get him the ball in the post.

There's no rule that says your franchise player has to be able to do it all by themselves. He's not a dime-per-dozen wing player that always has the ball in his hands.

Nope. When AJ's the starting PG, he consistently gets more shots than anybody else. This series is no different. Check out the # of shots

(JO)-(AJ)
    1: 10-10
    2: 12-17
    3: 15-13
    4: 15-9
    5: 18-15
    6: 14-23

So only 3 times in the series did AJ take fewer shots than Jermaine. Not only that, but look at the totals. Jermaine got 84 shots total in the series, while AJ got 87. Let me say that again.

Jermaine got 84 shots total in the series, while AJ got 87.

Now you can argue that it's justified, Jermaine was in foul trouble, whatever. I'm not going to fight you on it. But it's not a fluke thing; it happens consistently. If you want to compare reg season games, I'm all for it.
    I was saying AJ scoring 40 was a bit of a fluke. Wasn't comparing shots attempted or anything. I feel pretty safe in stating AJ scoring 40 was a bit of a fluke.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    He's a post player. Every post player depends on somebody to get him the ball in the post.

There's no rule that says your franchise player has to be able to do it all by themselves. He's not a dime-per-dozen wing player that always has the ball in his hands.
    OK. Legit points here. True. Franchise player can't do it all by himself. Can franschise player be second best player on the team (and an extremely effective one at that)? B/C that's what JO would truly excel as.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Smooth
    I was saying AJ scoring 40 was a bit of a fluke. Wasn't comparing shots attempted or anything. I feel pretty safe in stating AJ scoring 40 was a bit of a fluke.
    Oh, my bad.

Regardless, does it not seem weird to anybody else that AJ had more shots than JO for the series?

Enjoy your time at PD!

Oh, my bad.

Regardless, does it not seem weird to anybody else that AJ had more shots than JO for the series?
    Not really - the Pacers never did much of anything to open up the middle so JO could really go to work. If your post player's getting double and triple teamed every time he gets the ball, I'd hope he wouldn't take a ton of shots.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE
    OK. Legit points here. True. Franchise player can't do it all by himself. Can franschise player be second best player on the team (and an extremely effective one at that)? B/C that's what JO would truly excel as.
    Well, IMO, the confusion comes from the fact that our "franchise player" just doesn't/ shouldn't have the ball in his hands very often.

I think, no matter who we paired JO with, he'd still be the best player on the team.

Remember how our 1990's era teams were built around one thing - getting Reggie the ball. We've never really offered JO the same treatment. We need to surround him with different types of players: guys that are willing to and capable of making post entry passes. Guys that are dangerous spot-up shooters so that teams won't double-team him. He needs to play alongside a great, and durable (and not foul prone) post defender. Those types of players don't exist on this team.

I don't really agree this team has been built around JO in the first place. JO (and Ron) were here as compliments to a fading Reggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    Well, IMO, the confusion comes from the fact that our "franchise player" just doesn't/ shouldn't have the ball in his hands very often.

I think, no matter who we paired JO with, he'd still be the best player on the team.

Remember how our 1990's era teams were built around one thing - getting Reggie the ball. We've never really offered JO the same treatment. We need to surround him with different types of players: guys that are willing to and capable of making post entry passes. Guys that are dangerous spot-up shooters so that teams won't double-team him. He needs to play alongside a great, and durable (and not foul prone) post defender. Those types of players don't exist on this team.

I don't really agree this team has been built around JO in the first place. JO (and Ron) were here as compliments to a fading Reggie.
    Great, great post. Absolutely right on.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree with the idea that we should stick with AJ and spend our time and effort on trading Tinsley and Jackson for a dynamic SG. Lose their attitudes while gaining a good fit alongside Johnson.

Getting another big man to play alongside JO would be nice, too. I haven't been here much lately, so I don't know what the general feeling about Harrison is (or if JO likes him), but JO definitely needs a banger next to him (Brad Miller, come home!!!).

Keep AJ. Lose Tinsley and Jackson. Get a SG and C.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train
    I agree with the idea that we should stick with AJ and spend our time and effort on trading Tinsley and Jackson for a dynamic SG. Lose their attitudes while gaining a good fit alongside Johnson.

Getting another big man to play alongside JO would be nice, too. I haven't been here much lately, so I don't know what the general feeling about Harrison is (or if JO likes him), but JO definitely needs a banger next to him (Brad Miller, come home!!!).

Keep AJ. Lose Tinsley and Jackson. Get a SG and C.
    Hey, it's A-Train! Can I change my vote for "Post more often?"

Enjoy your time at PD!

You know who AJ reminds me of? Chauncey Billups? Why? Billups is not the best passer in the world, but his great shot-making ability helps him make the passes that lead to baskets. AJ has turned into the type of consistent player who can make shots. He is not the best passer, but he can make the pass because his defender is so worried about him.

So where's the problem? Chauncey has Rip at SG, AJ has Jackson....enough said. As others have pointed out, AJ needs a consistent SG..not Jackson.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    -- Albert Einstein