Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can we talk about AJ for a minute?

Default Re: ANTHONY JOHNSON STAYS!!

I SECOND THAT

Anothony Johnson. This is his career season and this series is the beginning.

Default Re: Can we talk about AJ for a minute?

Andre Miller? I'll keep AJ thx........

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: ANTHONY JOHNSON STAYS!!

Well those other things, like setting up team-mates, are kind of important in the game of basketball.

I admit he has played one hell of a game, and I would have no problem with him coming back next year.

I would prefer to see him as the backup "2", seeing as I tend to favor point guards who can "point" (there is another thread going on right now about this very topic), but AJ has carried this team tonight.

He gets a A+++++++++ from me

Damn so so close!! Miss fts NJ.
    "Ever wonder what it's like to wonder what it's like to wonder, they get up out of bed but can't awaken from their slumber, they know what they've been told by those who know what they've been told, you see this hand me down knowledge generated ages ago, and I know what they've been told because I've been told the same thing, I had to broaden my horizons to expand on greater things..." Many Styles

Tony Delk scored something like 54 points in a game once. LET'S SIGN HIM FOR 6 YEARS TO START!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tony Delk scored something like 54 points in a game once. LET'S SIGN HIM FOR 6 YEARS TO START!!!

You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

AJ has amazed me more and more as the season progressed and he leaves 05-06 on a good note.

Aj played a great game, for AJ.

If your PG, who's your backup to begin with, shoots 40% more shots then your star player there's something wrong.

Whether this was the gameplan (and with Rick everything is possible) or not I have no idea, but getting any kind of rythm was not part of the evening for JO, 13 shots?

Not sure that this career high for AJ was such a good thing for the Pacers
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by able
    I take exception to that for AJ's sake. That wasn't a good game for him, that was a great game for anybody. The last guy to score that much in this city was Reggie Miller. Not Ron Artest or Jermaine O'Neal. He had a great game. To say "for him" is to try to cheapen it IMO.

I want him back next year, but we need a better player starting. If we can get a guy better than AJ for Tinsley, that guy with AJ behind him would be enough if we can have Danny starting at 3 and get whatever we can for Peja.

If your PG, who's your backup to begin with, shoots 40% more shots then your star player there's something wrong.

Whether this was the gameplan (and with Rick everything is possible) or not I have no idea, but getting any kind of rythm was not part of the evening for JO, 13 shots?

JO didn't get shots because we have no one who can throw him the ball. We really miss Reggie there.

I take exception to that for AJ's sake. That wasn't a good game for him, that was a great game for anybody. The last guy to score that much in this city was Reggie Miller. Not Ron Artest or Jermaine O'Neal. He had a great game. To say "for him" is to try to cheapen it IMO.

I want him back next year, but we need a better player starting. If we can get a guy better than AJ for Tinsley, that guy with AJ behind him would be enough if we can have Danny starting at 3 and get whatever we can for Peja.
    At this point I think we should draft a rookie PG. Pool the rest of our resources towards getting a good SG, and let AJ start for now and the rookie learn under him.

The only problem with that is that this draft would seem to be a much better SG draft than PG.... so who knows.

And if AJ didn't have that great game, where would the team have been? Blown out with no interesting finish.

The fact AJ scored 40 does indicate the Pacers team had issues tonight but that by no means takes away from his effort. AJ did what he did out of necessity.

Anyone who wants to take away from AJ's effort tonight isn't much of a fan, period.

On one hand, it is a clear indication your team is dysfunctional if the PG scores 40 points. On the other hand, AJ was the only Pacer who deserved to wear the uniform tonight. I hope LB and DW clean house and do it thoroughly.

BTW, the Nets will get raped by the Pistons and beat by the Heat. The Nets are not that good. The Pacers are just very, very bad.

I think you misunderstand me there, I did not mean that he played a good game for his doing or being, but a good game for himself instead of the team, which is also the question I pose because A: this is the first game of the series I was unable to watch and B I am not sure if that reading is correct.

As I said, I am somewhat confused about it, how and why specifically.

Also, how sure are you that AJ can go "back" to being a backup ??? He has said several times that he thinks he has proven enough, this game gives him more strenght in his opinoin, I guess that is perhaps where my thoughts or doubts are born

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold
    On one hand, it is a clear indication your team is dysfunctional if the PG scores 40 points. On the other hand, AJ was the only Pacer who deserved to wear the uniform tonight. I hope LB and DW clean house and do it thoroughly.

BTW, the Nets will get raped by the Pistons and beat by the Heat. The Nets are not that good. The Pacers are just very, very bad.

Nets are a very good team.

You don't win 14 games in a row by accident, and they have an excellent four core players.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Smooth
    Anyone who wants to take away from AJ's effort tonight isn't much of a fan, period.
    1: who says I take anything away even if I could.
    2: yeah I guess you're right, I'm not much of a fan.

I think you misunderstand me there, I did not mean that he played a good game for his doing or being, but a good game for himself instead of the team, which is also the question I pose because A: this is the first game of the series I was unable to watch and B I am not sure if that reading is correct.

As I said, I am somewhat confused about it, how and why specifically.
    AJ plays for the team, I don't think tonight was a case of him going Allen Iverson. It's a bit of a fluke obviously but who else on the Pacers team was stepping up? This team played the entire game with one foot in the grave and others had ample opportunities to step and make plays. Time and again, it just fell upon AJ to make something happen and hey, the guy shot 80% most of the night so I don't see how letting a guy shooting 80% hitting shots is somehow bad for the team.

The fact we had such an imbalance overall is a sign of a problem with the team effort but it's not a statement against AJ really, just the reality of the game. I think as a team the Pacers never have looked all that "in tune" in this series.

1: who says I take anything away even if I could.
    2: yeah I guess you're right, I'm not much of a fan.
    A wee bit too sensitive. I threw out a general feeling, if you feel it applied to you then so be it. I did not call you out by name and didn't necessarily feel that your purpose fit that description.

Why do that, when we've got AJ for two more years!

Seriously, that wasn't in a playoff game. This was just an astonishing performance.

I'm gonna back peddle some. I'm fine with AJ starting next year. He's not our future at PG, but he can be our present for a while. Yes, he's not a point-first point guard, but Rick doesn't want one. If we can't get an Andre Miller, get the best 2 you can and we'll be competitive next year.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Am I the only one who doesn't see the big fuss over Andre Miller??

You are not the only one. People on here just get hard on's for some players and they wont let it go. Duringt the season they talked about Earl Watson like he was Magic Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    People on here just get hard on's for some players and they wont let it go.
    That's rich. I mean, who could you possibly name that's worse than you?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Me > You. So that means you are worse then me.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Smooth
    It's a bit of a fluke obviously
    Nope. When AJ's the starting PG, he consistently gets more shots than anybody else. This series is no different. Check out the # of shots

(JO)-(AJ)
    1: 10-10
    2: 12-17
    3: 15-13
    4: 15-9
    5: 18-15
    6: 14-23

So only 3 times in the series did AJ take fewer shots than Jermaine. Not only that, but look at the totals. Jermaine got 84 shots total in the series, while AJ got 87. Let me say that again.

Jermaine got 84 shots total in the series, while AJ got 87.

Now you can argue that it's justified, Jermaine was in foul trouble, whatever. I'm not going to fight you on it. But it's not a fluke thing; it happens consistently. If you want to compare reg season games, I'm all for it.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    Me > You. So that means you are worse then me.
    About getting totally emotionally attached to one player?

Who is the player I revere more than you revere Jermaine?

Enjoy your time at PD!