Thread: I've got a dilemna

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default I've got a dilemna

As most of you know (or *should* know), I hate the Celtics more than anything else in life - even having opera tickets on a game night.

I hate everything about them. I'm not usually kidding around if I say something mean about the Celtics, or Red Auerbach, or thier legion of fans in Central Indiana, or any of those arrogant - ing mother- s. Jay's_Dad@Section222 feels the same way.

So last spring, when we played those heads in the playoffs, Jay's_Daughter@Section222 must've picked up on what I really think of the Celtics, and she went around all summer saying "We don't like the green guys." I thought that was music to my ears.

Fast forward to last night, we were shooting baskets on the little Fisher Price goal in the basement, and I thought it was time to start working on her game face, since the real season starts soon. So I asked her what she thought of the Green Guys? She said, "There are no bad guys."

Jay's_Wife@Section222 seems to think that teaching her good sportsmanship and to respect the opponent is better than instilling my bitterness in her.

Now what should I do?

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Default Re: I've got a dilemna

Jay's_Wife@Section222 seems to think that teaching her good sportsmanship and to respect the opponent is better than instilling my bitterness in her.

Now what should I do?

There are times when, out of necessity, you simply MUST develop a slight psychosis in your kids. After all - what's potty training if not instilling a phobia?

Soooo - you get a life-size model of whatever hideous monster your daughter's afraid of, dress it in a Paul Pierce jersey, and set it so it leaps out of her closet tonight. Appropriate screaming sounds should accompany this of course.

After this happens you gently reassure her and say, "At least now we know what's been hiding in your closet all these years - a Boston Celtic!"

For catharsis you can help her burn said Paul Pierce-attired dummy the next day.

BTW - you didn't say how old your daughter was. I'm assuming elementary school age.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

As most of you know (or *should* know), I hate the Celtics more than anything else in life - even having opera tickets on a game night.

I hate everything about them. I'm not usually kidding around if I say something mean about the Celtics, or Red Auerbach, or thier legion of fans in Central Indiana, or any of those arrogant :censor: - :censor: ing mother- :censor: s. Jay's_Dad@Section222 feels the same way.

So last spring, when we played those :censor: heads in the playoffs, Jay's_Daughter@Section222 must've picked up on what I really think of the Celtics, and she went around all summer saying "We don't like the green guys." I thought that was music to my ears.

Fast forward to last night, we were shooting baskets on the little Fisher Price goal in the basement, and I thought it was time to start working on her game face, since the real season starts soon. So I asked her what she thought of the Green Guys? She said, "There are no bad guys."

Now what should I do?

I think your wife is correct to a point. Sportsmanship does apply to everyone EXCEPT the green guys. Remember, instill, instill, instill. Green is bad, always, except when it is money.

I would rather be the hammer than the nail

Sports Logo

Hmm thats a tough one. I have taught my daughter to hate the Knicks just as you have taught your daughter to hate the Celtics. I was watching the Knicks Hornets game the other night and she asked me why I was watching those horrible Knicks and I told her it was because they were losing at the time. (of course the freaking Hornets colapsed on them and I was angry for having watched it.)

Anyway my wife does not seem to be upset at my (what I consider healthy) hatred of the Knicks and has done nothing about it with my daughter.

But I see your wifes point as well. I hate them for a reason and my daughter simply hates them because I do. It is probably not good to teach children to hate something just because we do.

There are times when, out of necessity, you simply MUST develop a slight psychosis in your kids. After all - what's potty training if not instilling a phobia?

Soooo - you get a life-size model of whatever hideous monster your daughter's afraid of, dress it in a Paul Pierce jersey, and set it so it leaps out of her closet tonight. Appropriate screaming sounds should accompany this of course.

After this happens you gently reassure her and say, "At least now we know what's been hiding in your closet all these years - a Boston Celtic!"

For catharsis you can help her burn said Paul Pierce-attired dummy the next day.

BTW - you didn't say how old your daughter was. I'm assuming elementary school age.
    LOL @ Rimfire

Jay - I can relate. The other day one of my daughters brought home a Laker book from school. You know the kind - pictures of Kobe and Shaq and even the devil himself, Rick Fox. And these flattering, fawning commentary on them.

Can you believe they allow this filth in the school library????? What the heck is our society coming to!!!!! Of course, I promptly burnt the book, and sent a note to the principal attached to a brick through a window.

It's quite likely I'll have to work two jobs to pay the over-due fee on the book so my daughter can graduate from elementry school, but it was worth it.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great advise from everyone so far. Early returns favor DisplacedKnick's suggesion, however.

BTW, she's four, although she tells everyone that she's "four-and-a-half."

BTW, Sauveness, now I'm really afraid Jay's_Wife@Section222 is going to find this site! I may have been treading on thin ice with the "Who's Your Favorite Member of Automotion" thread on April Fool's Day. Now this...

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Um, try being married to a school teacher. You know..."competition is not good for childeren, if they lose they may feel bad about themselves". (It's thinking like that which brought us class basketball) Mrs. G tries to find the good in all my hated teams. Hell she even told me not to speak ill of Knick Bavetta in front of the kids. But then Geezer Jr. has a mind of his own...he still hates Sprewell

It's not easy being green........oh c'mon hum a few bars of it.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Make her watch a Celtic highlight film 24/7 for a week and your worries will be over.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

sweabs

Please - it would be the greatest revenge ever to sweep them this year...last year's display was truly horrific and embarassing and all I remember is "Walker for 3....GOOD"..."Pierce for 3...GOOD"..."McCarty for 3...GOOD"..."Delk for 3...GOOD"..."freakin BREMER for 3...GOOD"....oh god I have nightmares. I want to tear them apart so badly.

Too bad you can't find real dartboards anymore, you know, with the pointy darts.

If you can find one, I suggest pinning a Paul Pierce or Ricky Davis picture in the middle of it, mark a spot 5 feet away, and give the kids a quarter every time the dart hits Pierce.

give kids double for hitting him in the head.

This might be harder to arrange with the new velcro dartboard/ fuzzy ball dart games that prevail now.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Jay,

My feeling on the topic is pretty much in my signature. I think it's ok to HATE a team. But the players, don't HATE them because they are people and it's bad to teach children to hate people, especially at such a young age. That is, of course, only good for non Yankees and non Knicks. It's OK to hate the "people" on those two teams.

But seriously, HATE is such a strong word and we as a society (and myself personally) use it way too much. My five year old and three year old have heard me utter those words while watching a basketball game and an occasional baseball game and I usually feel horrible afterwords. My actual opinion is to have kids like everyone because when they get older, they will start to hate everyone, even their parents!
    Two=the number 2
    Too=means "also"
    To=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (two, too) do not apply.

Their=shows ownership-'it is their house'
    They're=they are
    There=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (their, they're) do not apply

Sorry but it bugs me when these are used incorrectly when I read posts on PacersDigest.com.

BTW, Sauveness, now I'm really afraid Jay's_Wife@Section222 is going to find this site! I may have been treading on thin ice with the "Who's Your Favorite Member of Automotion" thread on April Fool's Day. Now this...

Just make sure and take a picture of what happens to you ...hopefully there is no bloodshed

I think the Automotion would be much worse....

Though I think someone could find that thread and bring it back up

You should try an identity change...
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.