Thread: Pistons' players seem confused.

Default Pistons' players seem confused.

Will the Pacers loss linger for the Pistons

http://www.detnews.com/2004/pistons/.../c06-42997.htm

Players dispute Indiana's edge

By Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

AUBURN HILLS — First things first: The Pistons do not think the Indiana Pacers have a mental edge on them.

“Come on, man, this is us,” said Chauncey Billups, dismissing the notion that three straight losses to the Pacers make them a nemesis. “We’re mentally tough. We don’t believe in that. They are the No. 1 team right now and they are playing great. There is nothing bad you can say about them.

“But we would love to see them later in the season and in the playoffs.”

Ben Wallace also dismissed it.

“Like I said, they won the game (81-69 Tuesday night) so they can say whatever they want,” he said. “They may say they’re the best in the East or whatever. I don’t buy into that.”

So if there is not a mental edge, what about a physical edge?

“I don’t look at it like that,” Coach Larry Brown said. “I look at it like we had a chance to win (all three games) with our better players struggling from an offensive standpoint.”

Anyone who has watched the Pistons the past two seasons knows they struggle to win when guards Billups and Richard Hamilton struggle to score.

The Pistons are 32-10 the last two seasons when Billups scores 20 or more points, and 39-15 when Hamilton does. This season, they are 20-4 when Billups and Hamilton team to score at least 35.

In the three losses to the Pacers, Billups and Hamilton have averaged 23 points, 13 below their combined season average, on 26 percent shooting.

“That’s just the way we are,” Brown said. “It’s hard trying to win games when your top perimeter guys can’t score. Every team would say that. There isn’t a team in the world that I’ve seen that can win if their perimeter guys aren’t making shots.”

Oddly, though, the Pacers play the Pistons’ guards mostly straight up. They don’t do a lot of trapping or double-teaming. It might seem the Pistons would have more success against Jamaal Tinsley, Anthony Johnson and Reggie Miller.

“I don’t know what it is,” Billups said. “I don’t think it is their defense, their man-to-man. They know what we’re running and we know what they’re running, but shots just aren’t going.”

Double trouble

When the Pistons’ playmakers aren’t scoring, and the offense is making 21 turnovers that lead to 26 points, it magnifies the areas in which the Pistons are overmatched, namely, the two forward spots.

In the three games, Pacers starting forwards Jermaine O’Neal and Ron Artest have outscored Pistons starting forwards Mehmet Okur and Tayshaun Price, 122-56, and outrebounded them, 48-28.

“How are you going to change that?” Brown asked.

Good question. Corliss Williamson and Darvin Ham did a good job against Artest later in the game Tuesday. They, more so than Prince, were able to match him physically.

But O’Neal (28 points) was unstoppable. The only player who had any success against him was Wallace, who played against him only in the fourth quarter. Brown doesn’t want to risk getting Wallace in foul trouble by having him guard O’Neal early in the game.

“Jermaine O’Neal is a tough matchup for lots of teams, not just us,” Brown said.

‘Mad at myself’

Brown took a little of the blame for the loss Tuesday.

“I am mad at myself for not starting the bench in the second half,” he said.

With reserves Williamson and Elden Campbell leading the way, the Pistons cut a 15-point deficit to four by halftime. Brown reinserted starters Okur and Prince in the third quarter, and the Pistons quickly fell behind by 12.

“We were riding that 13-game winning streak,” he said, “and I just didn’t want to change it up at that time.”

Default Re: Pistons' players seem confused.

http://www.freep.com/sports/pistons/...2_20040122.htm

Guards' shooting off against Pacers

January 22, 2004

BY HELENE ST. JAMES
    FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Poor shooting by Detroit's starting guards is a big reason why the Pistons are 0-3 against Indiana this season.

Richard Hamilton and Chauncey Billups are a combined 21-for-80 against the Pacers after the 81-69 loss Tuesday, when Hamilton shot 4-for-13 and Billups 2-for-13. On Dec. 19, Hamilton shot 5-for-12 and Billups 4-for-11, and in the Oct. 29 home opener, Hamilton was 3-for-14 and Billups 3-for-17. That gives Hamilton a three-game shooting percentage of .308 and Billups .220.

Those numbers stand out because Hamilton's field goal percentage for the season is .451 and Billups' is .386. So why are they struggling against Indiana?

Of all the individual matchups against the Pacers, the Pistons have the favorable one in the backcourt. In the first two games Billups played man-to-man against Kenny Anderson, who at 33 is six years older than Billups and also is two inches shorter. Tuesday, Billups drew Jamaal Tinsley, who had a forgettable game himself. He had five assists, but scored zero points on two shots.

Hamilton's drought is even more inexplicable. He has faced against Reggie Miller, who at 38 is 13 years older and who underwent ankle surgery during the off-season. Hamilton can run so fast he sometimes looks like a blur, yet in the series against Indiana he has managed only 38 points.

Billups also has 32 total. Hamilton averages 18.3 points per game Billups 18.1.

"I don't know what it is," Billups said Wednesday. "I don't think it's really their defense . . . I mean, they know what we're running; we know what they're running. Our shots just weren't going. We were getting good looks, too. If you're getting good looks and you're getting the shots that you usually shoot every other game, and it's not going, it's just bad luck.

"I think that's the reason why we haven't beaten them. Myself or Rip haven't really been able to get off against them, and, you know, we've got a good team, but when me or Rip can't get off, or one of us, even, has a big game and the other one has an average game, it's tough for us to beat a good team like that."

Coach Larry Brown lamented the 21 turnovers and lack of ball-sharing, but emphasized the diminished performances of his perimeter shooters.

"I still say had Chauncey and Rip shot the ball like they're capable of shooting in the three games we've played against them, had they shot the ball like we know they're capable of shooting, we wouldn't be talking about this," Brown said.

NOTEBOOK: Tuesday's loss left the Pistons 11-9 on the road, but only two of their victories have come against teams that are above .500 -- Milwaukee and Memphis. The Pistons beat the Bucks, 99-94, Jan. 17, and the Grizzlies, 99-92, Nov. 19.

Friday, the Pistons are at Minnesota, where the Timberwolves are 13-5 and have won nine in a row.

http://www.freep.com/sports/pistons/...2_20040122.htm

PERRY A. FARRELL: 'Pretenders' tag dogs Pistons

January 22, 2004

BY PERRY A. FARRELL
    FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

The national media had a field day with the Pistons hours after their 13-game winning streak ended at Indiana on Tuesday night.

A couple of ESPN analysts hailed them as pretenders in the Eastern Conference after an embarrassing 81-69 loss to the Pacers, their third in as many games against former coach Rick Carlisle.

Indiana and New Jersey are hailed as the contenders to win the Eastern Conference. So with 39 regular-season games left, the 29-14 Pistons, a game ahead of the pace of last year's 50-win team, need to beat Indiana before the critics hail Carlisle's firing a mistake. The Pistons did manage a victory over New Jersey once this season.

His former job belongs to Larry Brown, a Hall of Fame coach who was brought in to take the organization to the next level. But some of the onus also falls on Tayshaun Prince and Mehmet Okur, first-year starters who have taken their lumps against the East-leading Pacers and the Nets, the two-time Eastern Conference champs.

Carlisle kept Prince and Okur anchored to the bench last year because he said they weren't ready to be major contributors. Now both have a chance to prove him wrong, although neither has done so in the three matchups against the Pacers.

Brown publicly called them out Tuesday, saying they looked like rookies who didn't want to be on the floor. Prince has taken just 17 shots in three games against Indiana. Okur was scoreless in 12 minutes Tuesday night.

Brown, who spent two hours with the team Wednesday, a day after back-to-back games, said he toyed with the idea of starting some reserves in the second half of Tuesday's loss.

"I'm more concerned with how we play than the streak," Brown said. "I want us to play smart, play together and have fun. This group has tried to do that. We've asked some players to do things that they weren't accustomed to doing, and they've responded."

Despite Tuesday's loss, the Pistons believe they'll be a better team come playoff time because they have more versatility than a year ago.

Ben Wallace has increased responsibility on offense, and when healthy, Lindsey Hunter can come off the bench and pester point guards into turnovers.

"We've learned there's a time to run and there's a time to settle down and run a play," Chauncey Billups said. "We have the kind of talent and the kind of guys that can do both."

Chucky Atkins knows how to run and has played well in spurts off the bench.

"I think we need to run a little more against teams like Indiana," Atkins said. "Ball movement is something that bothers them. We can't just let them come down and set up their defense."

After experimenting for 29 games, Brown decided he needed to run more plays and get more aggressive defensively.

"A new coach and a new coaching staff has to learn the players and the players have to learn what the coach wants from them," Hunter said. "After a while it all came together for us. That was the most important thing.

"I think we have the ingredients to win the East. The last two years we've had 50-win seasons. I don't want to look too far ahead because we have to take care of things we have in front of us now, but I think we have the makings to make a run for it.

"We know where our strength is defensively. Ben is one of the best defensive players in the league, and if teams want to keep challenging him, he's going to make them pay.

"We simplified some things on offense and we continue to hang our success on our defense."

So with 39 regular-season games left, the 29-14 Pistons, a game ahead of the pace of last year's 50-win team, need to beat Indiana before the critics hail Carlisle's firing a mistake.
    Huh? Can someone translate this into meaning what I think he wants it to mean?
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

"So with 39 regular-season games left, the 29-14 Pistons, a game ahead of the pace of last year's 50-win team, need to beat Indiana before the critics hail Carlisle's firing a mistake."

replace "before" with "or else"

"So with 39 regular-season games left, the 29-14 Pistons, a game ahead of the pace of last year's 50-win team, need to beat Indiana OR ELSE the critics WILL hail Carlisle's firing a mistake."

hail?

this guy needed to stay more awake in an English class or two.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Brown took a little of the blame for the loss Tuesday.

I am mad at myself for not starting the bench in the second half, he said.

With reserves Williamson and Elden Campbell leading the way, the Pistons cut a 15-point deficit to four by halftime. Brown reinserted starters Okur and Prince in the third quarter, and the Pistons quickly fell behind by 12.
    Here's my Ragnar re-mix:

"I am mad at Rick for not starting Anthony Johnson in the second half," he said.

With Pacers' reserve Anthony Johnson leading the way, the Pistons cut a 15-point deficit to four by halftime. Carlisle re-inserted starter Jamaal Tinsley in the third quarter, and the Pistons quickly fell behind by 12.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There's nothing wrong with the Pistons. They're just a poor man's Pacers, that's all. :P

Tim

The Pistons have one more crack at us, but its kinda late in the season (April 4).

With only 5 games remaining, this game maybe meaningless to the Pacers if they have the East locked up. That last game may not be the statement game the Pistons make it out to be.

It's very odd that the Piston's back court has an off offensive night three different times against the Pacers.

Stop the Excuses! Pacers simply have the Pistons number. Period!

This space for rent

It's very odd that the Piston's back court has an off offensive night three different times against the Pacers.

Stop the Excuses! Pacers simply have the Pistons number. Period!

First of all: Thank you fooddaman. In my book, you are gooddaman. Finally, someone else says its the Pacers that made the Pistons look bad 3 time, not the Pistons that made the Pistons look bad.

Second: In an above post it says that if the Pistons win the last game vs. the Pistons, it will say that it was good to fire him because he ONLY went 3-1 against the Pistons this year? Come on.

Third: The Pistons had a 13 game winning streak. They lost one game. To the Pacers. It's a big deal to lose to the Pacers but come on. They won 13 straight. I know I wasn't the only one wishing each game that they would lose only to be disappointed 13 STRAIGHT times.

They are a good team. Just not as good as the Pacers so far this year.

PERIOD. Nuf said.
    Two=the number 2
    Too=means "also"
    To=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (two, too) do not apply.

Their=shows ownership-'it is their house'
    They're=they are
    There=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (their, they're) do not apply

Sorry but it bugs me when these are used incorrectly when I read posts on PacersDigest.com.