Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Reporting Steve Nash to be named MVP

Default ESPN Reporting Steve Nash to be named MVP

Reports say Nash earns NBA MVP award

ESPN.com news services

PHOENIX -- Steve Nash will win his second straight NBA Most Valuable Player award, according to reports on several area newspapers.

Nash

The announcement may not come for two weeks, according to the Arizona Republic. But the paper, and others, report that the voting shows Nash edging LeBron James, Dirk Nowitzki, Chauncey Billups and Kobe Bryant for the MVP.
    This season, Nash had career-highs in points (18.8 points per game), rebounds (4.2 per game), field goal percentage (51.2 percent) and free throw percentage (92.1 percent -- best in the league). He was also the league-leader in assists (10.5) and shot nearly 50 percent from three-point range.
    The Suns are currently playing the Los Angeles Lakers in the first round of the Western Conference playoffs.
    A year ago, Nash edged Shaquille O'Neal in what was the fourth-closest balloting in history.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2422255

sweabs

Default Re: ESPN Reporting Steve Nash to be named MVP

Go Canada!

That is who I would have voted.

Maybe they should add a separate award for "most outstanding player"

If he got it last year, I can't really make any sort of argument as to why he didn't deserve it this year.

Who would have ever guessed 2 years ago this guy would be a two-time MVP?

Not Mark Cuban

I'm sorry, but what player(s) did Dallas get for Nash?
    Dallas Clark>Tony Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sorry, but what player(s) did Dallas get for Nash?

They got nothing

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is the worst MVP voting in history? Is this some kind of joke?

Nash should not be top-5 this year - are they seriously saying he had a better year than Chauncey Billups? A better point guard on a better team who actually plays defense? Didn't Chauncey lead the league in 3-point shooting too? Kobe Bryant? Who had one of the most memorable year-long team-carrying performances in NBA history? Lebron James, put up Oscar Robertson-like numbers and finally broke through to the playoffs? Dirk? Dwayne Wade?

Any of those choices would be better that Nash - truly a mockery of the NBA. They need to rethink the way they hold voting for the MVP, it's clear that the voters do not actually watch any NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    If he got it last year, I can't really make any sort of argument as to why he didn't deserve it this year.
    He deserved it much more this year than last. I'll go to my grave thinking it should have been Shaq.

Ergo, my vote would have gone to Dirk. Now if Nash had come in 2nd last year that's another story.

Of course you can argue that 2 wrongs doesn't make a right but Steve Nash retiring with more MVP Awards than Shaq isn't right either. And no, I'm not a Shaq fan.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by Mushmouth
    This is the worst MVP voting in history? Is this some kind of joke?

Nash should not be top-5 this year - are they seriously saying he had a better year than Chauncey Billups? A better point guard on a better team who actually plays defense? Didn't Chauncey lead the league in 3-point shooting too? Kobe Bryant? Who had one of the most memorable year-long team-carrying performances in NBA history? Lebron James, put up Oscar Robertson-like numbers and finally broke through to the playoffs? Dirk? Dwayne Wade?

Any of those choices would be better that Nash - truly a mockery of the NBA. They need to rethink the way they hold voting for the MVP, it's clear that the voters do not actually watch any NBA.

You are making a strong argument if the award was most outstanding player, or best player, but MVP is a different award

did you guys see when Billups was on ESPN and they asked who he would vote for as MVP
    he was like "Me. im the best player on the best team"

it just gave me another reason to hate the pistons.

but i cant really argue with nash..especially this year with Amare out.
    Spikes gonna rip off my face and wear it on Halloween!

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    You are making a strong argument if the award was most outstanding player, or best player, but MVP is a different award
    Maybe so, but I find it hard to believe that Steve Nash has won back-to-back MVP's, both of them highly questionable. What did this dude do to deserve this kind of respect? He doesn't play a lick of defense (is there any starting point guard in the league he can actually play man-up?), plays on a team that has inflated numbers because they out-run teams and essentially dare teams to outscore them, and will go down in the playoffs as soon as the spurs muscle up to them.

I mean, Kobe and Lebron were almost guaranteed 1-2 this year. I use the Chauncey comparison because to me, Chauncey had a better year than Nash, is the more complete player than Nash, yet wasn't really in the MVP conversation. But somehow Nash is? What about Shawn Marion for that matter? Is Steve Nash even the most valuable player on his own team?

Ah, anyway, just another cheapened aspect of the NBA now is the MVP.

Mush, that picture of D2 is amazing.
    Spikes gonna rip off my face and wear it on Halloween!

Banned

As I said before, my ballot woudl have been:

1. Nash
    2. Kobe
    3. Lebron

Mood

My ballot would have been:

1. Kobe - If he wasn't a Laker, they would have a worse record than the Knicks. Absolutely eye popping scoring stats.
    2. Nash - He had a better year this year than last, no Amare makes it even more amazing.
    3. LeBron - Great do everything stats, and avoided the late season swoons to get the Cavs to the playoffs.
    4. Dirk - Does it all and nearly got the top spot in the West.
    5. Billups - Yes he's the best player on the best team, but the rest of the Pistons are so good they would still be a great team with any capable PG.

Can't say I'm really surprised. Of course, I think Kobe or Bron Bron deserved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Basketball
    As I said before, my ballot woudl have been:

1. Nash
    2. Kobe
    3. Lebron
    Wow, a laker fan that wouldn't vote for Kobe first? I don't mean this in a disparaging way, I'm actually just curious. My vote was definately for Kobe.

Follow me no more....... Fireball Kid's Avatar

No Amare, no JJ, no Richardson and they still manage to win 50 games this season. Yes, Nash deserves to be the MVP.
    "Remember the pain of my fist. That is my power!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Fireball Kid
    No Amare, no JJ, no Richardson and they still manage to win 50 games this season. Yes, Nash deserves to be the MVP.
    Yeah, Shawn Marion was terrible this year, god knows how they won any games at all...

That argument is bunk - without Kobe, do the lakers win 15 games? What about Cleveland without Lebron?

The MVP has been Devalued the last two years with these misguided media campaigns by bad journalists to award it to a player for unjudgeable intagibles.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by efx
    Wow, a laker fan that wouldn't vote for Kobe first? I don't mean this in a disparaging way, I'm actually just curious. My vote was definately for Kobe.
    A Kobe fan, even.

To me its like this. How many Phoenix Suns are having career years this year? When you start to count and then realize the answer is like 4-5..it becomes pretty simple. 82games.com had a great breakdown earlier in the year about how much better Kobe's teammates play when he's on the floor with them, but I think if they did the same breakdown on Nash, you'd see the same thing.

That and I don't know how you give him the award last year, take away Amare Stoudamire, they play just as well..and him not get the award this year..that would be just screwy...unless, like Rimfire, you think he didn't deserve the award last year.

I think the true value of Nash's worth can only be determined by another team completely opening up their offense and putting it in their PG's hands like Phoenix has done with Nash. I think the comparison to Kidd's run in 00-03 is a fair one, but Kidd had the looming shadow of a dominant and healthy Shaq in the MVP race. Without Shaq, Kidd probably wins those MVPs (even the one that Iverson stole from Shaq)

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mushmouth
    Yeah, Shawn Marion was terrible this year, god knows how they won any games at all...

That argument is bunk - without Kobe, do the lakers win 15 games? What about Cleveland without Lebron?

The MVP has been Devalued the last two years with these misguided media campaigns by bad journalists to award it to a player for unjudgeable intagibles.
    Maybe, just MAYBE the reason Marion was so great this season is because he had Nash around him? Marion is a GREAT player, but if Nash weren't there then there's no way he would have done what he did this season IMO.

Sort of like Kidd making K-Mart look much better then he essentially was. Ok, maybe not so good a comparison, because Marion is infinitely better then Martin and is less dependent on a good PG, but still dependent nonetheless.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nash shot 51% from the floor. As a guard. Lets' not overlook that.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    He deserved it much more this year than last. I'll go to my grave thinking it should have been Shaq.

Ergo, my vote would have gone to Dirk. Now if Nash had come in 2nd last year that's another story.

Of course you can argue that 2 wrongs doesn't make a right but Steve Nash retiring with more MVP Awards than Shaq isn't right either. And no, I'm not a Shaq fan.
    I don't know if I would have voted for Dirk but the rest I agree with 100%
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

I adore Nash, but I kinda thought Dirk deserved this one. I mean, he was able to bring a team to the top with a supporting crew that is not better than Nash's. And he didn't win the MVP yet, so..