3 5.08%
  • Pacers' bench vs Nets' bench

8 13.56%
  • Carlisle vs Frank

0 0%
  • Other (please specify)

1 1.69%
Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 04/23/2006 Playoffs EC 1st Round Game Thread: Pacers at Nets (Game 1)

Hybrid View

Paahking my caahr in Haahvad Yaahd... ;-)

Arrow 04/23/2006 Playoffs EC 1st Round Game Thread: Pacers at Nets (Game 1)

KICK NJ IN THE NETS!!!

-VS-

Game Time Start: 1:00 pm EST

TV: WB4, TNT

Projected Pacers' Starting Lineup:
    C
    PF
    SF
    SG
    PG
    Foster
    O'Neal
    Stojakovic
    Jackson
    Johnson
    Projected Nets' Starting Lineup:
    C
    PF
    SF
    SG
    PG
    Krstic
    Collins
    Jefferson
    Carter
    Kidd

Series Summary: (0-0)
    Game 1: at NJ - Sun, Apr 23 - 1:00 pm EDT
    Game 2: at NJ - Tue, Apr 25 - 8:00 pm EDT
    Game 3: at IND - Thu, Apr 27 - 7:30 pm EDT
    Game 4: at IND - Sat, Apr 29 - 3:00 pm EDT
    *Game 5: at NJ - Tue, May 2 - TBA
    *Game 6: at IND - Thu, May 4 - TBA
    *Game 7: at NJ - Sat, May 6 - TBA
    (* - If necessary)

Regular Season Stat Comparisons
             | Pts Avg | Pts Opp | Rbs  | Asts | Stls  |
    Pacers:  | 93.9    | 92.0    | 42.2 | 19.9 | 7.3   |
    Nets:    | 93.8    | 92.4    | 41.0 | 23.0 | 6.8   |

Posting the game thread way early today.... time to get some coffee!
    Your horse is dead, get off it already...

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Default Re: 04/23/2006 Playoffs EC 1st Round Game Thread: Pacers at Nets (Game 1)

Private poll? Anyway, I voted Peja vs Jefferson as the crucial matchup we must try to win.

2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 04/23/2006 Playoffs EC 1st Round Game Thread: Pacers at Nets (Game 1)

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Private poll? Anyway, I voted Peja vs Jefferson as the crucial matchup we must try to win.

I believe all of BC's game thread polls are private.

I went with Jax vs Carter. We have to contain this guy. If Jax doesn't bring the D, it's going to be a long (or short) series.

I vote AJ vs Kidd. However, I really believe the main difference in this series will be the water boys. If our water boy can provide the right additives to our water we will win easily. If not we won't.

But an hour or so later, Hibbert wrote on his Twitter account: "Love this coach [and] I love this team. We can go far this year if we play like that. 2night we played our hearts out. Just didn't get the win."

Gotta be Jack vs. Carter in my mind...

If we can keep Carter bottled up and not slashng and running, plus Jack can get into the lane early to free up his (and others) jump shots, we will have as good a shot as we are going to get to win.

GO PACERS!!

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

I picked the bench matchup, because I think Granger's play in this series is key. We NEED some great games from him.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

The reason I think the Peja/Jefferson matchup is so important is because I think Carter is going to get his points anyway. Stephen can do a great job and limit Vince, but I have not much doubt the guy will come close to averaging 20 a game anyway.

AJ could try to slow down Kidd's production too, but he (Kidd) will in the end also get his numbers.

For us JO has to and WILL get his numbers. Thats vital, but I'm not really worried about him accomplishing that.

Now Peja is currently our second option on offense, but will also guard the Nets third option who on many a team could be a second option. Jefferson isn't an easy guy to guard and we all know Peja isn't the best defender (though also not as bad as avertised previously before we acquired him) either. He will have to outmatch Jefferson on the offensive end and score in the 20s for us to have a serious chance in this series IMO. IF he won't be able to average say more then 16/17 points in the series then we will lose, especially if Jefferson averages about his season average.

Offcourse, we also have other options on offense (Stephen, AJ, Danny, Austin, Sarunas and David to name a few), but we need JO AND Peja to score consistently through this series as they are obvioulsy our best offensive weapons. The others can each bring it for a short period in a game, a game or maybe two games, but ultimately JO and Peja are the most reliable to me.

Regards,

Mourning

I picked JO cause he needs to just flat-out demoralize the Nets. If we're scoring from the inside, it's gonna be so much tougher for them to run and get easy buckets.

sweabs

The most important matchup is AJ vs. Kidd.

If Johnson can somehow stop Kidd from creating, running, penetrating, etc., then the game becomes a lot more difficult for Carter and Jefferson. Those are two guys who absolutely thrive based on Kidd's playmaking ability - but if you can d-up on Kidd, you can shut down the main cog to their wheel.

Another important thing with Carter that I picked up watching him in his years in Toronto. If you get aggressive with him, he will start taking jump shots. This is why I want Granger given the opportunity to guard him...he will be aggressive and force him into taking jumpshots, and that is definitely the Carter we want to see.

These guys are going to run. Kidd/Carter/Jefferson are all very athletic and it's going to be crucial that we get back on transition defence which scares me, because we seem to have a relatively slow team.

We have to feed it down low in the post and be aggressive and drive to the rim on the offensive end, as the Nets don't have anyone close to being capable of stopping us down low. They have no shotblockers at all. So not only do Harrison and JO need to get lots of touches, but guys like Jackson have to DRIVE. Please, Jackson - do NOT settle for jumpshots against a team like this.

Another idea - on the defensive end it would be wise to get Carter and Jefferson into some foul trouble by drawing offensive fouls. Those are guys who like driving to the rim with some force, so if the help side defence steps out and plants his feet, I can see them getting into some foul trouble which would be good.

The Nets are not a good three point shooting team. Carter is streaky, Kidd's shot is always up in the air, Cliff is inconsistent...this is really why the AJ/Kidd matchup is so important. If you take away Kidd's playmaking ability, suddenly they have to settle for long-range shots and that's exactly the type of game we want them to play.

Man, I love playoffs! LET'S GO BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The most important matchup is JO vs JO. We're going to go to him... a lot... If he tries to force it and be the star then there's not much hope especially over the course of the series. If he can make quick decisions and hit open players, or just keep the ball moving when his position isn't favorable, then we have a chance.

...But the other guys need to hit their shots or keep the ball moving if the defense finds them.

Every pass doesn't have to be an assist.

It does no good for JO to pass to Sjax and Sjax hold the ball and take a forced shot anymore than seeing JO forcing something.

We don't have to run a motion offense and we don't have to 'run and gun' to win, but we do need to keep the ball moving and make life tough on the defense.

Obviously our defense can't let them have whatever they want either.

It all starts with JO on offense today.

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Its Jack vs Vince, Jack has to play great defense on Vince and make him work for everything no more taking a plays off. He also has to shoot real good on offense, cant have those 38% shooting games.

Peja and RJ is a tricky one but JO and Collins is THE one.

:booprivatepoll:

While we obviously have to win the JO-Collins matchup to even win a game in this series, I think that's a given, so I don't think of it as "key". The matchup we really need to win is Peja-RJeff. We can win if Jax is at least competitive with VC, but if RJeff is outplaying Peja, we're dead.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    :booprivatepoll:

While we obviously have to win the JO-Collins matchup to even win a game in this series, I think that's a given, so I don't think of it as "key". The matchup we really need to win is Peja-RJeff. We can win if Jax is at least competitive with VC, but if RJeff is outplaying Peja, we're dead.
    My thoughts exactly.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playof...ris&id=2417921
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Sheridan, ESPN
    Key matchup: Jermaine O'Neal vs. Jason Collins. The beauty of this one won't lie in the statistics, at least not for Collins. It'll show in the way Collins is able to keep O'Neal away from the basket and coax him into making mistakes.
    I'll admit I'm a little worried about that. If JO plays like he has lately instead of shooting turn-arounds over Collins from 17 feet, we're golden.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playof...ris&id=2417921

I'll admit I'm a little worried about that. If JO plays like he has lately instead of shooting turn-arounds over Collins from 17 feet, we're golden.
    Collins doesn't concern me. If Jermaine lets Collins impact his game (thanks Jay), then we really do need to trade him.

JO vs. Uncle Cliffy is another story. Jermaine always used to have problems with his Portland mentors. However, in the last couple years he's had success against Grant and Robinson, just not Wallace. However, over a series I could still see Cliff giving him some problems.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Collins doesn't concern me. If Jermaine lets Collins impact his game (thanks Jay), then we really do need to trade him.

JO vs. Uncle Cliffy is another story. Jermaine always used to have problems with his Portland mentors. However, in the last couple years he's had success against Grant and Robinson, just not Wallace. However, over a series I could still see Cliff giving him some problems.
    Yeah, if JO would experience problems playing against Collins then indeed the time to move him has apparantly come. I'm not worried about this matchup at all. He might "contain" JO one game, but not much more.

Robinson, well... he used to give JO a few problems, but the guy is going towards 40 and has been showing signs of it. The only thing that worries me a little bit about him is his range.

Regards,

Mourning

I said JO vs Collins.

PG: AJ vs Kidd. Kidd will win this match up but it won't be really lopsided because AJ plays well against his former team.

SG: Jax vs Carter. Carter will probably win, but not by much. Jax will score too.

SF: Peja vs Jefferson. This is probably a wash.

C: Foster vs Krstic. Probably a wash. Foster will win on the boards and Krstic will score more points.

Pacers' bench vs Nets' bench. Pacer's bench is way better, but it's not that big of an advantage in the playoffs where rotations are short.

Carlisle vs Frank. Rick will win this battle. He adjusts game to game well.

PF; JO vs Collins. JO has to really dominate up front. If he does and I think he will, Pacers will prevail.

Injuries to key players on either team would of course effect the outcome.

Man we could use Tins today, stupid injuries.

They said he "could" be back Tuesday.

Freddy Jones is playing today!

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaCeRs_GuRL
    They said he "could" be back Tuesday.

Freddy Jones is playing today!
    That's not really a good thing, IMO. Because I'd bet he's still hurt and his injury will really screw with his play.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    That's not really a good thing, IMO. Because I'd bet he's still hurt and his injury will really screw with his play.
    I don't mind him seeying a few minutes if we are leading in big numbers, but otherwise I rather not see him out there at this moment and CERTAINLY NOT on Carter!

Regards,

Mourning

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    He says he won't shoot and if he does it's going to be in those no choice situations but he just wants play D.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaCeRs_GuRL
    He says he won't shoot and if he does it's going to be in those no choice situations but he just wants play D.
    Yeah, but I don't want him guarding Vince.....
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I WOULD LOVE if Reggie was doing our game, it would fire the guys up and we are 3-0 when he does our games. Come on TNT make it happen please.