Thread: Game Management Kudos... And A Question

Default Game Management Kudos... And A Question

Whether it is using the bench or properly utilizing T/O's I think that is an area where Carlisle excels.

Winning breeds winning (IMHO) and things like the above can't be overstated in their importance.

At this point I even have to question the 'player development' argument used in Isiah's favor because it seems to me I see more players developing and contributing (consistently) under Carlisle.

So now to my question:
    Is Carlisle the 'right coach at the right time' or is it a case of 'better late than never'?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo

Default Re: Game Management Kudos... And A Question

So now to my question:
    Is Carlisle the 'right coach at the right time' or is it a case of 'better late than never'?

-Bball
    Better late than never.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is a dangerous topic to discuss, especially when you mention the Pacers' ex coach by name (btw, shame on you). Nevertheless, I happen to believe that the Pacers have done so well because of the experience of this coaching staff.

With Carlisle, Brown, and Rothstein you have three guys that have coached in the Finals - two of which have rings to show for it. Yeah the players have shown some much needed maturity but I happen to believe it's the current coaches that have drawn this out of them.

At the beggining of the season there was a lot of grumbling and immaturity in response to the changes the coaches brought about, hence the New Jersey post game flaming from Carlisle. From that point on, the team has been focused and have listened and played within Carlisle's system.

One last thing... Carlisle's crew definitely believes in players have "defined roles", something that was shunned by the previous coaching staff. Rick knows that not everyone can be a "complete basketball player" (a nice concept but not one that translates to championships) and built a team system that maximizes his best players abilities. Artest and JO are the main ingredient and Al, Reggie, and the others are the seasoning.

IMO, that was just as important as the players offseason development and personal maturity.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Carlisle is the right coach at any time. Having said that I do believe coaches have a 4 year window with any given team. So in three or four years I might be the first to say a new coach is needed, I hope the next coach coaches very much like Rick though

Sports Logo

Carlisle is the right coach at any time. Having said that I do believe coaches have a 4 year window with any given team. So in three or four years I might be the first to say a new coach is needed, I hope the next coach coaches very much like Rick though
    I think the 4 year window is crap. The reason it is that way is that the players know that if they get tired of the coach they can just tune him out. I think that if you get a good coach you should hang onto him. Ala Jerry Sloan.

I think if they gave Rick a lifetime contract with say a two year out clause. (if they decide to fire him they give him two years pay) then i think the players would continue to listen to him.

Banned

I think the 4 year window is crap.....

I think if they gave Rick a lifetime contract with say a two year out clause. (if they decide to fire him they give him two years pay) then i think the players would continue to listen to him.
    Agree.

Right coach at the right time.

There's no denying, though, that Carlisle is a better coach than Thomas. I still maintain that Thomas COULD have become a good coach. If only he'd spent a few seasons as an assistant somewhere....
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

So is it a two-year window in college? Is that why so many guys come out after they are sophomores?
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Carlisle is the right coach at the right time. The team was a bit disorganized last year. Carlisle and Bird is the proper duo to cut out all of the nonsense that we were doing. Everything we did negatively last year is pretty much non existent this year. Also i think that Carlisle would be a gr8 coach for any team in the nba.

This scenario is kind of like the Bucaneers and Dungy grooming them and then Gruden getting the job done. Lets hope for the same results.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS