Thread: I do love the playoffs: 2nd pre-playoffs question

Default I do love the playoffs: 2nd pre-playoffs question

As it appears some of you enjoyed my prior playoff question, lets try another one.

Is talent more important in the regular season or in the playoffs

Default Re: I do love the playoffs: 2nd pre-playoffs question

Talent is more important in the regular season. The playoffs require more than just talent..It requires a dominating will and going out there and putting it into overdrive. The entire season up until now holds no merit at all. All that really matters is winning the Finals...And it requires much more then talent alone to get there. Talent can get you by in the regular season..but not now.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As it appears some of you enjoyed my prior playoff question, lets try another one.

Is talent more important in the regular season or in the playoffs
    If you assume both teams have good people/chemistry, then it always matters the same. You have to have it to win. I don't think it's more important in the playoffs. What wins now is playing together, being able to score in the clutch, being able to rebound, and to get stops.

Banned

Talent matters more than coaching, less than heart.

Talent matters more in the playoffs.

If you hustle, play good D, and work a good team concept, you'll get a lot of wins in the regular season.

But you don't win in the playoffs without talent.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

talent means less.

You dont MAKE it to the playoffs without talent, so the fact you need it to win in the playoffs is irrelevant.

The difference-maker is what happens when talent cancels out talent, and each team takes the other team out of its normal game.

It all boils down to excecution, and communication on the floor. Chemistry is what wins it for you.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Talent is more important in the playoffs primarily because teams give away games during the regular season.

Without talent, you are 4 and out in the playoffs.... or .000....but you can still get 20 W's during the regular season and go .250.

I'm having a hard time with this question. What Kstat said makes a lot of sense, at least in part, but I'd hate to be caught agreeing with Kstat.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not sure the question being asked and the question being answered are the same.

Talent probably matters just the same. What is different is that its your "top" talent that matters in the playoffs - how unstoppable are your top two players and how unstoppable are your opponents top two players. It doesn't matter at all in the playoffs that your sixth man is better than the opponent's sixth man.

In the regular season, you can win games because you have more talent on your bench. Not so in the playoffs.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I guess I'd say it is the same. The same 3 or 4 teams talented enough to be favored in the regular season are the same that are good enough to win in the post season.

On the scale of coaching or whatever factors it is of a higher importance because if you aren't at the top of the NBA's pyriamd of talent you don't have a chance regardless of coaching or heart.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    I'm not sure the question being asked and the question being answered are the same.
    Yes, that's it. I was wondering why this thread felt really weird.

It is more important in the playoffs. You need a certain amount of ability in your top players. You can overachieve in the season...
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

My point is, in the playoffs, talent level means LESS because EVERYBODY that gets there has telent. Little things like chemistry and team work is what sets teams apart in 7-game series, not talent.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I guess it also depends what round you are talking about.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Mood

I think Kstat pretty much nailed it and I'd like to add something. Both teams in a playoff series will have talent anyway. One can have more than the other, even considerably more, and still get beaten. If a team has chemistry, it can overcome superior talent in a single game, or a 7 game series. Talent gets you there, but the team that can add talent to heart and teamplay in the playoffs wins the whole shebang.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    What is different is that its your "top" talent that matters in the playoffs - how unstoppable are your top two players and how unstoppable are your opponents top two players. It doesn't matter at all in the playoffs that your sixth man is better than the opponent's sixth man.

In the regular season, you can win games because you have more talent on your bench. Not so in the playoffs.

Jay I actually agree with what you're saying here.

I think talent is a lot more important in the playoffs than it is during the regular season. In the regular season wins and losses are determined by a lot of things. The schedule, who's healthy and who isn't, but also by how hard a team plays on a certain night. In the playoffs all teams play hard, so talent wins out more often.

The 6ers and the Nets were clearly overmatched talent wise. I don't think its accurate to say the Lakers beat either team because of "the little things like chemistry and team work". The Lakers were simply more talented and blew them both out.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    The 6ers and the Nets were clearly overmatched talent wise. I don't think its accurate to say the Lakers beat either team because of "the little things like chemistry and team work". The Lakers were simply more talented and blew them both out.
    And on the flip side, the Pistons used teamwork and great D to overcome the Lakers superior talent.

Indeed, I would have mentioned as much but it seemed that side of the argument had plenty of backing already.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have trouble with any questions involving "talent" for a number of reasons:

1) Is it talent or is it hype?
    2) Is the talent being used properly (coaching)?
    3) Is the talent in a place that supports the game (if you are a great dunker but can be kept away from the paint your talent is worthless)?
    4) Is the talent supported by other team abilities (if outside shooting sucks the greatest center in the world can be collapsed upon and neutralized)?
    5) Is it the talent of a single player or the overall level of talent in the team (at one point it was said you had to have two "superstars" to win - then came the Pistons)?

Because of this, I think most of the time just tossing out the word "talent" is really both a cop-out and buying into the whole "promote the individual player and they will come" marketing mentality of the NBA.

Where it matters to me is in the talent of the entire rotation, and in that sense I would agree with those who say that a level of talent is needed but in the playoffs it isn't so much "how much" but "where in the rotation is it concentrated".
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

The question was: "Is talent more important in the regular season or in the playoffs".

The question is not whether talent is more important than chemistry or teamwork. If we want to entertain that question, it is fairly easy to answer. Chemistry and teamwork are more important than talent either in the regular season or playoffs. Ron Ron has a lot of talent, but what good is he? Detroit beat a disfunctional Laker team with far more talent a few years ago.

In any event, the answer to the original question is the playoffs because, assuming a team makes the playoffs, the regular season really doesn't matter anyway. Players don't make best use of their talent until it really matters.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by travmil
    And on the flip side, the Pistons used teamwork and great D to overcome the Lakers superior talent.
    Well, maybe the Pistons' talent is teamwork and great D.

That's my problem with the question. What exactly do you mean by talent?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold
    The question was: "Is talent more important in the regular season or in the playoffs".

The question is not whether talent is more important than chemistry or teamwork. If we want to entertain that question, it is fairly easy to answer. Chemistry and teamwork are more important than talent either in the regular season or playoffs. Ron Ron has a lot of talent, but what good is he? Detroit beat a disfunctional Laker team with far more talent a few years ago.

In any event, the answer to the original question is the playoffs because, assuming a team makes the playoffs, the regular season really doesn't matter anyway. Players don't make best use of their talent until it really matters.

Again I would bring up the Nets and the 6ers. They played pretty well together to get to the finals, but all that team work was for naught against the talent of the Lakers.

My first thought in both of these threads (so far) has been "What isn't more important in the playoffs?" You know, except the bench.

Looking at it another way, are we saying the Lakers did NOT play well together, with team work?