Thread: I liked what I heard from Mike Wells on Ch.13.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default I liked what I heard from Mike Wells on Ch.13.

He was on the SportsJam on Ch.13. When he was talking about the Pacers he said that what Rick Carlisle said in the Star about the Pacers having to play for 48 minutes, should not have been said. Those are the things you get clear in the first month of the season.

A team that's going into the playoffs should not have to be questioning their effort.

Especially with 2 games left. He said that he thinks the reason why we've been destroyed by every crap team this year is because the Pacers underestimate them and after all the teams that are sub .500 and continue to be beat them, you'd think that they'd finally learn.

When asked, can they change their ways for the playoffs, he said no, that they are not all of a sudden going to do that. And, he said that they could beat NJ but will probably be 1 and out.

Can't say I don't agree.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: I liked what I heard from Mike Wells on Ch.13.

Maybe we keep losing to crap teams because...we're a crap team ourselves. Maybe this is the best this current crop of players can do.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Naahh... they're big-time underachieving.

Looked to me like they'd quit again in the second quarter in Charlotte. Not sure what was said at halftime but it certainly got thier attention. For a while.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe we keep losing to crap teams because...we're a crap team ourselves. Maybe this is the best this current crop of players can do.
    Well, yeah.

But we were losing to Charlotte by 32 when we had a winning record and such.

But I guess overall we've always been a crappy team this entire year......
    Super Bowl XLI Champions

You don't get a mediocre record without....well... being mediocre.

Underachievers... maybe...
    More likely- players overvaluing themselves and undervaluing their teammates.

*Ask not what your team can do for you, ask what you can do for your team*

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Pacers have the worst road record of any playoff team in the NBA (13-27).

Not sure if that holds any bigger meaning, but when I tried to compare the Pacers to other playoff teams statistically, that one stood out more than anything.

I never thought I'd see the day when Rick lost 27 road games in a season. Winning on the road has historically been his strength.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I think the Pacers are a little better than a .500 team. 50 wins would be over-achieving. Considering the disruptions until the last couple of weeks I thought we were were we should have been at.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat

Not sure if that holds any bigger meaning, but when I tried to compare the Pacers to other playoff teams statistically, that one stood out more than anything.

I never thought I'd see the day when Rick lost 27 road games in a season. Winning on the road has historically been his strength.
    We're an extremely mentally weak team... with very little (I'd say 'no') leadership. Losing on the road is a given.

Obviously, (IMHO) Reggie was a stabilizing presence that we no longer have any substitute for.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    We're an extremely mentally weak team... with very little (I'd say 'no') leadership. Losing on the road is a given.

Obviously, (IMHO) Reggie was a stabilizing presence that we no longer have any substitute for.

-Bball
    Agreed. I'd like to add that they're physically weak as well. It seems every few games we get someone back from injury only to have someone else go out.

A lot of changes need to happen this offseason, and hopefully that includes some changes in the strength and conditioning staff. Having players drop like flies like this is getting really old.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck
    Agreed. I'd like to add that they're physcially weak as well. It seems every few games we get someone back from injury only to have someone go out.

A lot of changes need to happen this offseason, and hopefully that includes some changes in the strength and conditioning staff. Having players drop like flies like this is getting really old.
    This season is getting pretty old. Same old stuff, almost. Every game. Every road game equals a choke about 80% of the time.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck
    Agreed. I'd like to add that they're physically weak as well. It seems every few games we get someone back from injury only to have someone else go out.

I'm really starting to wonder if that is something we get from having players who have gotten by on athleticism over fundamentals all thru their careers up to this point.

Obviously some of it is not that... but I have to wonder if players now faced with NBA schedules and their bodies getting older aren't quite so well-equipped for the rigors of this profession for the way they play the game?

Have we tipped the scales too much toward players who rely on their athletic ability to jump over/around someone rather than just finding good position and 'calling their shots' when it comes to using their athletic ability (rather than relying on it so heavily)?

Maybe I'm howling at the moon here... I'm just having a hard time pinning (all) this on our staff directly.

EDIT: Where's Andy at? Maybe he could set me straight or let me know if he thinks there's some validity to this. I'm curious.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat

He does not have the ultimate road warrior in Reggie Miller anymore. Reggie had that calming effect on the team on the road, at home, off the court, etc.

This team has the a very very fragile mental psyche. They are pansies, that is what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by pacerwaala

This team has the a very very fragile mental psyche. They are pansies, that is what they are.
    Pansies? HAHA! Hardly! Look the word up, NBA player's aren't pansies.

I don't think as a team they have fragile mental psyche either. I think they have a fragile point guard that destroys chemistry and continually with his temperment and injuries.

The Pacers # one need is to get rid of Tinsley and get a point guard that can stop penatration, run a quick paced offense, and hit an open jumper.

So defende,run a quick paced offense, and shoot. Well are you sure we can get Chauncey Billups? Do you want a PG that can grab 10 boards a game too?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade

I love your new Tinsley Pokeman Card Avatar. Where did you find that?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    So defende,run a quick paced offense, and shoot. Well are you sure we can get Chauncey Billups?
    Sure we can. But it will cost us Granger, a S&T for Fred, one other starter and some filler to make the salaries match.

We can upgrade the PG position. But its going to take a trade offer of much more than just Tinsley + SJax. We'll likely have to gut the nucleus.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Um, maybe it's just me, but I don't remember any coach ever not having to say at some time "we have to play 48 minutes". Hell, when we beat another team, I'd say 75% of the time the opposing coach is quoted as saying "we didn't play for 48 minutes."

IOW, BFD.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

woman without a team

I don't mind hearing "we have to play 48 minutes." I HATE hearing "they wanted it more than we did."