Thread: Mike James' ego continues to swell...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Mike James' ego continues to swell...

He'd better hope he never suffers any long-term injuries.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...d=969907729483

Raptors' James hoping to cash in a couple of times
    Free agent to be seeks 3-year deal
    Apr. 16, 2006. 01:00 AM
    DOUG SMITH
    SPORTS REPORTER

Mike James has had to prove himself at every stop in his nomadic basketball career and as he stands to cash in after the best season of his life, he's willing to rely on that ability to make himself wanted rather than take the security of a long-term contract.

The Raptor guard, who becomes a free agent this summer after a breakthrough season, said yesterday he's not looking for a five- or six-year contract.

But here's the kicker: Short term, big bucks.

"If I sign for less years I'll probably ask for more money," James said after Raptor practice yesterday. "That's probably the way I'll go for the remainder of my career: Sign three-year deals with a player option on my third for the simple fact that I don't want to lock myself into nothing long-term.

"I believe I'm always going to get better and I don't want to lock myself into a deal that I outplay maybe a year or two from now."

That James has proven himself worthy of financial security off his season with the Raptors really goes without saying. The 30-year-old, he'll be 31 when training camp starts next season, is averaging 20.4 points and 5.9 assists per game, shoots 47 per cent from the field and 45 per cent from three-point range and plays with an anger and aggression that's welcome on a Toronto team that needs an emotional leader.

The question, as it has been all season, is how much the Raptors are willing to pay him and for how long. James makes $3.4 million (U.S.) this season and should be looking at some kind of healthy raise. The Raptors can offer a larger annual increase 10 per cent as opposed to 8.5 per cent than any other team James signs with.

Toronto can also offer a six-year deal and no other team can go longer than five but that doesn't seem to faze James given his desire for two years and his option on a third.

"After those two years are up, I'll be 33 years old and I can let the NBA know I'm still a helluva player," he said. "I can turn that over into another three-year deal (and) I'll still have my six-year deal.

"I don't plan on getting hurt, I don't worry about getting hurt ... that's the reason I don't mind signing a deal like that."

James said neither he nor his agent, Bill Duffy, has had a significant conversation with new Raptors president/GM Bryan Colangelo. Knowing that a decision on James will be one of his first major moves, Colangelo has been close-vested about his intentions, praising James for his contributions this season and saying he'd like to have him back at an equitable salary.

"I understand he's in a tough spot right now, he's doing a lot of observing," James said of the general manager.

"As far as myself, I don't know what the future is going to bring, I don't know what he's going to do about me coming back."

James's play has been the biggest surprise of the season but to the super-confident James, all of the scoring and deadly shooting was expected.

"It didn't matter where I played, it didn't matter where I went, the way I worked this summer, I believe in my heart I worked harder than anybody in the NBA and I knew the way I worked this summer was only going to get me results this season."

Default Re: Mike James' ego continues to swell...

Let's sign him!
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I'd like to sign him. Nothing he says in that article seems so bad to me.

I really really want to sign him.

lol I dont plan on getting hurt. I bet all the players that get injuries say, well in about 2-3 weeks I'm going get a high ankle sprain.

What are you guys smoking? Sign him?

How? All we have is the mid-level exception.

When he says "Short term for big bucks" what do you guys think he has in mind?

Regardless, that doesn't strike me as ego (or at least not an unhealthy one). I wish more players approached their salary negotiations this way.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How? All we have is the mid-level exception.
    I'd be happy to S&T them Peja for James, MoPete, and Graham.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    Not a chance. Peja isn't going anywhere.

Me too! This is the kind of thing I'm hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Me too! This is the kind of thing I'm hoping for.
    Your hope is in vain! Bird loves shooters, and to paraphrase what he has said, "I didn't trade for Peja just to lose him." In other words Bird sees Peja as one of the Pacer's cornerstones.

On the other hand if the right deal came along I don't see Bird as seeing any of our players as untouchable. However, to get certain players from him would cost more than most teams would pay.

The way I see it.

[These players will not be traded.]
    Granger
    Peja (If resigned)
    JO

[Very unlikely these players will be going anywhere.]
    Foster
    Croshere
    Sarunas

[Could be traded.]
    Harrison
    AJ
    Erazem Lorbek

[Could be resigned or signed and traded.]
    Pollard
    Jones
    Gill

[Likely to be traded.]
    Jackson

[Will be traded.]
    Tinsley

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    lol I dont plan on getting hurt. I bet all the players that get injuries say, well in about 2-3 weeks I'm going get a high ankle sprain.

I bet Tinsley says that.

Sports Logo

I can't place my finger on who he reminds me of....but Mike James reminds me of the type of Free Agent that has a huge Contract year on a cr@ppy team and develops a huge ego...cashes in for a huge contract.....and then goes back to being an average guard ( but with a huge ego and contract now ) after getting his huge@ss contract.

If James was a little bit more humble then having a huge mouth...then I would probably want him as a Pacer...but given his comments...I'm beginning to have reservations about him.

His ego seems to more about "me" then about the "team".
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    I can't place my finger on who he reminds me of....but Mike James reminds me of the type of Free Agent that has a huge Contract year on a cr@ppy team and develops a huge ego...cashes in for a huge contract.....and then goes back to being an average guard ( but with a huge ego and contract now ) after getting his huge@ss contract.

If James was a little bit more humble then having a huge mouth...then I would probably want him as a Pacer...but given his comments...I'm beginning to have reservations about him.

His ego seems to more about "me" then about the "team".
    I think he is reminding me of Blount/Dampier. Get that big contract and stink it up the rest of the way.

F Mike James

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    Your hope is in vain! Bird loves shooters, and to paraphrase what he has said, "I didn't trade for Peja just to lose him." In other words Bird sees Peja as one of the Pacer's cornerstones.
    Good God.

I don't think he's that misguided.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    I think he is reminding me of Blount/Dampier. Get that big contract and stink it up the rest of the way.
    They were more "contract" players then the developing ego that Mike James is becoming. I don't know if he truly is a "contract" player.....but I get the sense that his ego is starting to outpace his playing ability.

I'm especially weary that his "I believe I'm always going to get better and I don't want to lock myself into a deal that I outplay maybe a year or two from now" comments can be viewed as him wanting more money and looking out for himself in the long term....but I view it as a window into how he perceives himself as.....being so good that he knows that he is only going to get better at his current age of 31 years old ( going into the start of his next contract ).

I get the sense that his outstanding performance on an underacheiving team like the Raptors this year has over-inflated his ego...and I'm concerned that whatever team he ends up on.....he will become more of a "shoot first" PG...then the "defend and pass" PG that we know that we need.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I get the sense that his outstanding performance on an underacheiving team like the Raptors this year has over-inflated his ego...and I'm concerned that whatever team he ends up on.....he will become more of a "shoot first" PG...then the "defend and pass" PG that we know that we need.
    Well, he clearly said in one of his interview, that he IS a "shoot first" PG and if a team doesn't like him as a "shoot first" PG, them that team should not sign him.
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DeS
    Well, he clearly said in one of his interview, that he IS a "shoot first" PG and if a team doesn't like him as a "shoot first" PG, them that team should not sign him.
    I forgot about that comment he made......but Mike James is beginning to remind me of a cross between Jason Terry and Tinsley.....except that he can defend and doesn't get as injured....but would prefer to be the #2 or #3 option on the team.

They were more "contract" players then the developing ego that Mike James is becoming. I don't know if he truly is a "contract" player.....but I get the sense that his ego is starting to outpace his playing ability.
    Probably all true.

But if we could get him, MoPete, and Graham for Peja, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Wow.

Mike James stats aren't inflated from being on crap teams.

The guy is shooting 47% FG and 45% 3 PG. On top of that he plays defense. It's not like this is his only good year. He was good when he was on Detroit and he was even better on Houston. The guy is a great outside shooting PG.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Moses
    Wow.

Mike James stats aren't inflated from being on crap teams.

The guy is shooting 47% FG and 45% 3 PG. On top of that he plays defense. It's not like this is his only good year. He was good when he was on Detroit and he was even better on Houston. The guy is a great outside shooting PG.
    So you're not as concerned about his "shoot first" PG mentality?

I like his defense....but I'm more concerned about the "me first" factor and the huge contract that he is going to likely require to get him.

I think it's asking a bit much to get Joey, but I'm all for it.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    I think it's asking a bit much to get Joey, but I'm all for it.
    I'd be happy to throw in Tinsley if it would help the deal get done...

Enjoy your time at PD!