Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ian Thomsen's top 10 NBA players

Banned

Default Ian Thomsen's top 10 NBA players

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...der/index.html

Who are the NBA's top 10 players? This season I must have heard at least 20 stars being mentioned routinely as "top 10" players in the league. It's an unofficial, unregulated and unwieldy list that everyone refers to and nobody seems to enumerate. Until today, that is.
    The criteria for this list differs from other postseason awards. The MVP refers to the player who had the greatest impact on his team this season, and the All-NBA teams reward the top performances by position.
    This top 10 list takes a broader view. Who are the most important players today, taking into account not just their performances this season but their abilities to dominate in a variety of ways? Consider this a comprehensive ranking of the best players in the NBA that goes beyond the narrow criteria of the annual awards.
    10. Shaquille O'Neal, Heat

His doubters grow bolder in their criticisms as Shaq grows older, and even though he's approaching career lows in all categories this season -- 20.2 points, 9.2 rebounds and 1.8 blocks in 30.7 minutes -- the numbers are still impressive, and his advancing age (34) is still trumped by his size (7-foot-1, 300-plus pounds) and skills. If he can stay healthy and his teammates can be marshaled around him (by far the bigger if), O'Neal remains capable of driving Miami to a championship.
    9. Paul Pierce, Celtics

No elite player showed more improvement than Pierce, the only player to lead his team in points (a career-high 26.8), rebounds (6.7), assists (4.8) and steals (1.4). He is shooting a career-best 47.3 percent in spite of playing with the weakest supporting cast of his career. The question now is whether the Celtics can throttle up their long-term rebuilding program to build a winner around 28-year-old Pierce while he's at his peak.
    8. Dwyane Wade, Heat

Wade and Allen Iverson are the only players to rank in the top 10 in scoring (27.5 ppg in Wade's case), assists (6.8) and steals (1.9); the difference is that Wade's efforts have a positive impact on winning games while Iverson often seems to drain more energy from his team than he contributes. Wade should move into the top five of this list as Shaq ages and Wade further asserts himself as Miami's leader.
    7. Steve Nash, Suns

The reigning MVP is the NBA's version of Doug Flutie: He dominates against bigger, stronger opponents by forcing them to surrender to his tempo. For those of us who rate team play ahead of one-on-one virtuosity, Nash is the most entertaining player in the league. No point guard is more effective at running an offense and creating mismatches than Nash, who adapted to the loss of Amaré Stoudemire by scoring more points (a career-high 19.1) while remaining the league leader in assists (10.5).

6. Elton Brand, Clippers

Surrounded by the first promising team of his seven-year career, Brand responded with a career-best 24.8 points per game to go with his typical 10.0 rebounds and 2.6 blocks. He's always scored in a variety of ways -- in transition, in the post or facing up -- but this year Brand proved that his numbers could drive a winning team.
    5. Kevin Garnett, Timberwolves

This was a rough year for his team, yet Garnett retained his annual lead in the NBA's efficiency rating with a routine 21.8 points, 12.7 rebounds and 4.1 assists. Instead of being criticized for failing to drag this deeply flawed roster into the playoffs, he should be lauded for maintaining his impeccable standards in a hopeless environment: Selfish play isn't part of his repertoire.
    4. LeBron James, Cavaliers

He'll join Michael Jordan, Oscar Robertson and Jerry West as the only players to average at least 30 points, 6 rebounds and 6 assists for a season. James will be the No. 1 player when he spreads his talent to the defensive end of the floor, but let's not be greedy -- these are amazing accomplishments for someone who should be finishing his junior year of college.
    3. Dirk Nowitzki, Mavericks

Team leader Michael Finley left last summer, a year after the departure of league MVP Steve Nash, yet in their absence Nowitzki has elevated his scoring (26.6 ppg) and shooting (48.2 percent) to career highs while transforming the Mavericks into an elite team. He's on the verge of becoming Dallas' modern-day Larry Bird, the clutch big man who wins games in the most unorthodox ways.
    2. Kobe Bryant, Lakers

The world's most talented player leads the NBA with 35.1 ppg, including a league-best 9.4 points in the fourth quarter. Nobody is more spectacular, whether dribbling through traffic or beating the buzzer from the three-point line. The question is whether a perimeter star such as Bryant can lead the league in scoring while leading his team to a championship level. Jordan is the only player to fulfill that paradox, but this season Bryant looked like he was embarking on the same high road as he single-handedly forced a lottery team into the playoffs.

1. Tim Duncan, Spurs

A foot injury scaled back his numbers, but they're still impressive enough (18.7 points, 11.1 rebounds, 2.0 blocks, 3.2 assists). Even more imposing than his individual stats is Duncan's impact on the league's most consistent program at both ends of the court. The team-first hierarchy that may bring a fourth championship to San Antonio works in all ways -- on the court and in the locker room -- because of him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Ian Thomsen's top 10 NBA players

If he's going by this seson, then TIm Duncan at #1 is a complete joke.

2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he's going by this seson, then TIm Duncan at #1 is a complete joke.
    Yup! That sounds pretty retarded indeed.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

This season number one has to be Billups.

And having no Iverson means this top 10 is one of the worst made.

My Top 10 for this season:

(1) Billups
    (2) Dirk
    (3) Nash
    (4) Kobe
    (5) LeBron
    (6) Brand
    (7) Iverson
    (8) Chris Paul
    (9) Rip Hamilton
    (10) Arenas
    My Dream Team

PG - A.Iverson
    SG - K.Bryant
    SF - R.Artest
    PF - J.O'Neal
    C - D.Howard

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Excuse me, don't want to rain on your parade, but no way that R.I.P. is a top-10 player. He's good, but not THAT good and while I like Billups I would certainly list him in my top-5, but also certainly not at the first spot.

Ah, what the hell... might aswell give my own top-10 so you can burn me too

1) Nowitzki
    2) Kobe
    3) LeBron
    4) Nash
    5) Billups
    6) Garnett
    7) Wade
    8) Iverson
    9) Brand
    10) Shaq

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Tim should not be # 1 and why is Iverson not on there

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    Excuse me, don't want to rain on your parade, but no way that R.I.P. is a top-10 player. He's good, but not THAT good and while I like Billups I would certainly list him in my top-5, but also certainly not at the first spot.

Ah, what the hell... might aswell give my own top-10 so you can burn me too

1) Nowitzki
    2) Kobe
    3) LeBron
    4) Nash
    5) Billups
    6) Garnett
    7) Wade
    8) Iverson
    9) Brand
    10) Shaq

Regards,

Mourning
    I just based my top 10 on this season and Rip has had a great season. Hes come up for them at crucial times like Billups and has improved his scoring alot.

IMO Garnett is not a top 10 player this year. I dont care for his stats. There is no excuse for him not being able to bring his team to the playoffs. If Chris Paul pushed NO so close to the playoffs KG should be able to do that at Minny.

That top 10 was solely based on this years performances. If it was my top 10 players in the NBA (that are still playing now) my top 10 would be:

(1) Iverson
    (2) Kobe
    (3) LeBron
    (4) Duncan
    (5) KG
    (6) JO
    (7) Wade
    (8) Marion
    (9) Billups
    (10) Nash
    My Dream Team

PG - A.Iverson
    SG - K.Bryant
    SF - R.Artest
    PF - J.O'Neal
    C - D.Howard

Arenas must not have a good PR guy.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bulletproof

TJ Ford would disagree....

2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

Again, like someone said earlier... If those rankings are based on this year, Duncan at number one is a joke. Even if Duncan was healthy all year, it's still debateable in my opinion. I have to agree with most of the players on the list, but I don't necessarily agree with their placement.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Based on this season, Kobe should probably be #1. Hard to top an 81-point game...unless you're Wilt.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Quote Originally Posted by bulletproof
    Nah...it's just that Michael Jordan wouldn't be a Top 10 player in today's NBA.

Where's Chris Paul?
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Quote Originally Posted by J_2_Da_IzzO
    I just based my top 10 on this season and Rip has had a great season. Hes come up for them at crucial times like Billups and has improved his scoring alot.

IMO Garnett is not a top 10 player this year. I dont care for his stats. There is no excuse for him not being able to bring his team to the playoffs. If Chris Paul pushed NO so close to the playoffs KG should be able to do that at Minny.

That top 10 was solely based on this years performances. If it was my top 10 players in the NBA (that are still playing now) my top 10 would be:

(1) Iverson
    (2) Kobe
    (3) LeBron
    (4) Duncan
    (5) KG
    (6) JO
    (7) Wade
    (8) Marion
    (9) Billups
    (10) Nash
    If we are going by just this year then no way Rip gets in the top 10 or top 20 IMO. I don't watch him play but going by his stats, he's just not consistent enough and doesn't fill up the stat sheet at all outside the scoring column.

My Top Ten
    1) Kobe
    2) Marion
    3) Lebron
    4) Dirk
    5) Garnett
    6) Iverson
    7) Kirilenko
    8) Arenas
    9) Allen
    10) Brand

Mood

yea, that top 10 is whack!!!

here's mine:

1. Kobe
    2. LbJ
    3. Wade
    4. Duncan
    5. Dirk
    6. Ron Artest. yeap!
    7. Brand
    8. Arenas
    9. Nash
    10. Marion w/ Nash (w/o Nash he's not in my top 10)

hon. mention

Melo
    Pierce
    AK47
    Rasheed
    Chauncey
    AI
    KG
    Shaq

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Based on this season, Kobe should probably be #1. Hard to top an 81-point game...unless you're Wilt.
    #1 Kobe MVP
    #2 Lebron
    #3 Nash
    All other guys mentioned are great, but they all play on balanced teams. That would be my voting.
    1 - 2, Tinsley's coming for you.
    3 - 4, You're not a team no more.
    5 - 6, He's gonna plead the 5th.
    7 - 8, He's gonna stay out late.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by J_2_Da_IzzO

(6) JO
    Ha ha!! good one. Nice to insert a little humor into this thread.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Munson
    Ha ha!! good one. Nice to insert a little humor into this thread.
    But he gets paid like a top 10 player, so that counts for something doesn't it?

All in for DG33

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
    But he gets paid like a top 10 player, so that counts for something doesn't it?

Haha, diamond Dave, I may not agree with your avy, but it made me laugh out loud.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

Mood

I still can't believe none of you guys ranked Artest in the top 10

My Top One:

1. Jasoooon Richardson

Quote Originally Posted by denyfizle
    I still can't believe none of you guys ranked Artest in the top 10

In your top 10 you have Ron above Melo, Pierce, Chauncey, AI, & KG.

You ask 100 NBA fans if Ron Artest is better than Melo, Pierce, Chauncey, AI, & KG and you would get 98 people laughing at you. Seriously. Ron is good but that is a stretch.

Most people put SOME weight on the ability of the player to respond to pressure and deliver when his team really needs it.

Ron has to prove that. Granted, so do KG, Melo, and Pierce.

But we have some history with the case of Ron, abandoning his teammates when they need him.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom
    In your top 10 you have Ron above Melo, Pierce, Chauncey, AI, & KG.

You ask 100 NBA fans if Ron Artest is better than Melo, Pierce, Chauncey, AI, & KG and you would get 98 people laughing at you. Seriously. Ron is good but that is a stretch.

Most people put SOME weight on the ability of the player to respond to pressure and deliver when his team really needs it.

Ron has to prove that. Granted, so do KG, Melo, and Pierce.

But we have some history with the case of Ron, abandoning his teammates when they need him.

lol a stretch? trust me if 98 out of 100 would laugh at me, that's just because their probably on some good purple. KG's team is not in the playoffs. Pierce's team is not in the playoffs. Melo on the other hand is someone I could put in the top 10 too. but putting Artest in the top 10 is no stretch. if we all thought he was top 10 back when he played for us, I can't see a reason why he should get demoted when he singlehandedly carried the Kings back into the playoffs. Ron is the best 2 way player in the game by a MIIIIIIIIIIILE!!! a stretch???? me and the other 2 feel sorry for you.

I need a drink.

yea, that top 10 is whack!!!

here's mine:

1. Kobe
    2. LbJ
    3. Wade
    4. Duncan
    5. Dirk
    6. Ron Artest. yeap!
    7. Brand
    8. Arenas
    9. Nash
    10. Marion w/ Nash (w/o Nash he's not in my top 10)
    Melo on the other hand is someone I could put in the top 10 too.
    I don't know what "good purple" is, but I assure you that most of the league thought Larry was smoking something when he called Ron a top 10 player.

When you put all sorts of qualifications on it, like "two-way players" and "players with mental issues" then Ron gets in the top 10 mix.

Show me some 1st/2nd team all-NBA selections for Ron.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

It's hard to put someone in the top 10 after he destroyed one team's season and barely raised his new team beyond mediocre. They are gone from the playoffs after 5 games at most.