Thread: Jermaine O'Neal: Pacers Leader???

Default Jermaine O'Neal: Pacers Leader???

A post by JMoney prompted me to start this thread.

I was wondering how many of you all think the players on the team respect and think of JO as the leader of the Indiana Pacers?

Also, how many of YOU think Jermaine is the leader of the Pacers?

The reason I ask is because of the Star quote of JO this morning, "We just really thought we needed to put aside differences, whatever they were, put aside the problems we had among each other with the staff or the organization or whatever it may be," O'Neal said. "The fact of the matter was that we still hadn't learned to play hard."

I read this first in JMoney's post and thought about it. And I realized that given all that has transpired with Jermaine this year, I myself didn't respect or appreciate his comment, and didn't think it was his place to make it, in some sense, as I think he is part of the differences and problems he is referring to.

I don't necessary disagree with the content of his quote, moreso that he was making such a public statement that I don't think is his place to make.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal: Pacers Leader???

JO talks so much, at this point it's tough to comment on the things he says, cause they're mostly empty words. Not to mention, if he is, as he thinks, the leader of this team, then he's the guy you have to look to for all the locker room bickering that allegedly has been going on (and I guess the quote confirms it).

That being said, his game has been speaking loud and clear for him lately, I'm not critiscizing that, I just wish he would be a little more gaurded with his words. What's wrong with just leading by example? I think the other players would respect him more if he focused less on interviews and more on boxing out.

If you are going to talk the talk then you have to walk the walk or
    so the saying goes. I really do not care what JO has to say. Actions almost always speak louder than words. Less talking would be a good thing, now maybe the press always seeks JO out for a quote and that may be why we
    always hear what JO has to say. Of course he could just say nothing and
    let his game do the talking.
    All the talking from the players kind of reminds me of Charlie
    Browns teacher, you know, wah wah wah wah wah...

owl
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

I don't think J.O is the leader of this team, the players I don't think respect him enough. Whether that is J.O's fault or the players I don't know. IMO the best leaders lead by example, so that is what he needs to do.

Do you guys think the team can ever respect him as the leader though? Can he repair damage that he's already done??

I think personally the guy is trying to hard to be the "leader". In all aspects, from a talk standpoint to the way he plays the game and feels he needs to score. Leaders make others around them better and I don't know that we get that from JO.

A year ago when I joined PD, I was all about supporting JO and having him as a legit face of the franchise. I didn't like the idea of trading him for KG and changing modes. But now I have to rethink those thoughts. Not that I want KG in here, but I don't think JO is going to fit the role I envisioned him playing...
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

I have mixed feelings about trading JO because what you get back may be
    and most likely will not be as good. I believe what the Pacers need is another
    defender besides JO who can rebound and block some shots and score as
    needed. Shelden Williams would be perfect. Sere Sene would work also.
    Harrison is not what the Pacers need ideally.

owl
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by owl
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have mixed feelings about trading JO because what you get back may be
    and most likely will not be as good. I believe what the Pacers need is another
    defender besides JO who can rebound and block some shots and score as
    needed. Shelden Williams would be perfect. Sere Sene would work also.
    Harrison is not what the Pacers need ideally.

owl
    I agree with this assessment of the JO-DH duo. I think DH may turn out to be a solid player, particularly offensively and with some shot-blocking capability, but he doesn't strike me as a real blue-collar, dirty work guy a la Dale Davis (for all us PD fans of him).

I think that type of guy is paramount to most truly successful teams and I don't think we have the prototype currently on the roster. Yes I like Foster and he is an excellent rebounder but he's a quick-feet, finesse board man and doesn't bring the same mental edge and intimidation. This team needs a bad-*** inside. He doesn't even need to care about O other than garbage.

As far as the JO thing, he certainly will not succeed in a leadership role if he keeps going about it so publicly and via what he says as pointed out. If he could stay on the court and play the level he's shown capable the last couple games for an extended period, that would go along way toward leading.

I think there is reason to be concerned about the relationship between him and the other players and I am particularly concerned that, if JO is the leader, why is AC calling the players only meeting? All I saw JO do prior to that was constantly trash the team's play in the media.