Thread: The Hulk's Blog

Default The Hulk's Blog

David Harrison SLAMonline Diary

SLAM Magazine has been running Rookie Diaries and High School Diaries over the years, and now, exclusively for the web weíre bringing you more player diaries. The first ever slamonline diary entry comes from David Harrison of the Indiana Pacers. Take it away, DavidÖ

This seasonís been a roller coaster for me personally. Youíre in the lineup, youíre out of the lineup. Itís been hard to find consistency. I kind of learned Iím gonna get my opportunities, and when I get them Iíve got to make the best of it. I think weíre underachieving, personally. Weíre gonna seed ourselves in a good spot for the playoffs if we finish the season off strong. We can be the 5th seed, we pretty much have the 6 locked down, though Washington is right behind us. Weíve got the same team back besides Reggie. I donít care who we play in the playoffs. Honestly I really donít. I think weíre a hard match-up for almost any team. A healthy Indiana Pacers is a really straight team, and weíre getting healthier every day. Jamaal is probably one of the most underrated point guards in the league when heís healthy. And then you have our bench. Our bench has won probably more games than our starters have this year. Weíre a really deep team and I think weíre a scary match-up for almost anybody.

Before we got Peja, you had people afraid they were getting traded. So much uncertainty on the team. And Ronnie averaged like 26 a game, you know? And his defense. Itís hard to replace that. Getting Peja was a huge step in the right direction for our team. But itís funny, cause now you know youíre not gonna get the ball. But heís such a great player, and he can score in bunches. I love setting screens for him, cause he gets me open too. Itís kind of like playing with Reggie a little bit.

I went from Colorado and that whole scandal thing happened my last year there, and then I go to the Pacers, and in my first year thereís a fight. And then we have the whole Ron Artest incident this year. Honestly last year I thought it couldnít get any crazier, and it did! So Iím kind of scared about whatís gonna happen next year. The fight was about the 10th game of the year last year. My welcome to the NBA moment came the game where they suspended everybody. We were playing Orlando, and we ended up with so many people hurt, we had six people available to play. You have to dress eight, so we had Scot Pollard with a back injury, and he couldnít even move. He wasnít even warming up. We had somebody else dress up. I think I played 44 minutes that night. I never played that much in my life. Honestly I want to get a camera and have our team become like a sitcom or a reality show. Itís taken our team a long time to get a cohesive unit together. And when we do, somebody either comes back from injury or goes down with an inury. Itís been a frustrating couple of years for this franchise, and weíre just out there trying to play hard and win games. We have 17 games left, and I just wanna find my spot on this team. Iím a rhythm player, and I love Jermaine being back cause weíre a better team, but it was easy for me personally to play when I could play in streaks, like 8 minutes at a time. But now itís a struggle. One thing I notice I didnít do last year was I didnít change the game at all. I maintained it. I think if I can just offer energy out there, it can help our team win.

Off the court Iím trying to settle my life down, coming from college to the NBA in my first year not playing a lot to now, where theyíre actually depending on me. Iím trying not to go out every night. Itís hard, cause you develop a routine of going out, but Iím trying to look towards the future, take care of my body and my career. I live with one of my friends from college and my older sister in a house. On a day off Iíll go and work out, cause Iíll go out the night before a day off.

I just got the XBOX 360 and Iím really really glad Iím not in college with that, cause Iíd fail out of school. Itís impossible to turn that thing off sometimes. I just got The Godfather game. You can choke people out and the way you control the guy, he can do anything. If you wanna throw a guy against the wall, you can drag a dude and throw him against the wall. Itís amazing. If I was still in school I wouldnít be in class at all.

-David Harrison

http://slamonline.com/life/DavidHarrison1/
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    -- Albert Einstein

Default Re: The Hulk's Blog

You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Players afraid of getting traded before Artest/Peja? Check.

Returning from injury just as disruptive as going out with one? Check.

Hard to play well when your role is constantly changing? Check.

This year worse than last year? Check.

When PD posters post theories, that's one thing. When one of the players says it directly, the theories become facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan.
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just got the XBOX 360 and Iím really really glad Iím not in college with that, cause Iíd fail out of school. Itís impossible to turn that thing off sometimes. I just got The Godfather game. You can choke people out and the way you control the guy, he can do anything. If you wanna throw a guy against the wall, you can drag a dude and throw him against the wall. Itís amazing. If I was still in school I wouldnít be in class at all.
    Are you going to make Hulk choke a *****?

"Like [Jonathan Bender], AMC's Pacer was supposed to be fitted with a rotary engine--but both rotaries had technical problems late in their development (read: after incurring heavy research costs) that prevented them from seeing the light of day. Of course, both vehicles had plenty of problems that did reach production. The Pacer was a dud in terms of quality, execution and particularly styling. Make your own assessment about its bizarre proportions, but don't miss the one door that's bigger than the other."

Rick Carlisle is going to ruin David Harrison's development? Check

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Refreshingly honest.

We'll never see any of that in IndyStar.com or Pacers.com, will we?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rick Carlisle is going to ruin David Harrison's development? Check
    I hope not.....Carlisle appears to be the type of coach that has to be comfortable with a player ( as in doesn't make as many mistakes ) before that player can be integrated into the lineup with consistent minutes. With any Big Man...especially Harrison....it takes time for them to get to the point where they don't make as many mistakes.

I just hope that Carlisle gets to that "comfort level" with Harrison before (A) Harrison's contract is up and (B) Harrison get's p!ssed off the Pacers for not giving him minutes.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

As I read in the other thread about Rick - Dumars and the Pistons owner had to FORCE him to play Tay Prince. FORCE, You think Larry Bird is going to make his boy play the young guys. Yeah right. Rick Carlisle will ruin Danny Granger and David Harrison. If we traded Ron to the Lakers and got Devin George in the package Rick would have played him over Danny and I bet my damn life on it.

Sports Logo

Good read. I will say that after reading the article....it reinforces the impression that I got from Harrison when he signed my wife's Gamecard at the Warrior's / Pacers game this year.

He's a big "Lug" that smiles all the time......that's a small town guy that has been given the chance to live his dream.....he wants to do good....wants to play....but understands that for now.....as a young player....he has to earn his playing time in order to develop. I'm glad that he has players like JONeal, Foster and Pollard around him to help "Big Brother" his NBA career so that he does the right thing in the upcoming years.

I would hope that players like Pollard are retained just for that very reason. But I really don't know whether Carlisle is the right coach for him or not.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

He kinda sounds like he needs some Ritalin.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dear diary,

I hate Rick.

Love,

Hulk