Thread: Pacers/Celtics trade

Default Pacers/Celtics trade

If we were to offer JO for Paul Pierce and Al Jefferson, who would blink first? I think Boston is giving up more talent, but JO is younger than Pierce by 2 years, and it gives them a legit big man to build around with their youth movement.

For us, this solves our SG problem, gives us a servicable PF with upside to replace JO, leaving only the Peja/Granger problem and the PG situation to clear up. Surely we could trade Tinsley, Peja, and Jackson for a solid starting PG.

Default Re: Pacers/Celtics trade

A deal with the Celts had crossed my mind, too. I like it. Don't know if Boston would want to give that much for just one guy in return. Seems doubtful. I would also gladly accept either Perkins or West in Jefferson's spot. Any of 'em would be great. I really like West but I can't envision them being interested in shipping him out.

Hell, even if we had to ship out Jackson, I think I'd be ok with the deal

I wouldn't want to see paul pierce in a pacers uniform but, talent wise that is a good trade.

From a chat with Bill Simmons on ESPN.com today:

Mike (Braintree, MA: Bill...what do you think the Celts should do with their upcoming lottery pick??

Bill Simmons: Glad you asked. They need to make a big move and get a veteran player - the Pierce Window only has 2-3 more years. My favorite guy in the draft is Brandon Roy, would love to see them take him, then package Gerald Green, Al Jefferson and Raef to get Jermaine O'Neal. That would be my dream Celtics summer. Other than them spiking Scalabrine's Gatorade with one of the NBA's banned substances so they could get him off the cap. But I like this draft a little more than most - it's top-heavy, but Ty Thomas will be good, and Noah (if he comes out), and so will Morrison and Roy, and I think the two foreigners (Splitter and Bargnani) are better than people realize. Plus, you know some of the teams in front of them will take stiffs like Aldridge and Rudy Gay, so good guys will drop down. And Minny is picking right in front of them - you know McHale will screw that pick up. I think they're in good shape.

Walter (New Hampshire): Glad you're not the Cetics GM, Bill. That would be a stupid trade. Have you been watching O'Neil play? Get over trying to build a championship around Paul, it won't happen.

Bill Simmons: JO needs a change of scenery and he needs to get healthy - he's still in his mid-20's, and he was the best guy on a team that almost made the Finals 2 years ago. Remember, teams aren't going to trade an A-list guy unless there's some sort of reason... everyone forgets, Barkley was traded once. So was Oscar. So was Earl Monroe. Wilt was traded twice. Etc etc...

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From a chat with Bill Simmons on ESPN.com today:

Mike (Braintree, MA: Bill...what do you think the Celts should do with their upcoming lottery pick??

Bill Simmons: Glad you asked. They need to make a big move and get a veteran player - the Pierce Window only has 2-3 more years. My favorite guy in the draft is Brandon Roy, would love to see them take him, then package Gerald Green, Al Jefferson and Raef to get Jermaine O'Neal. That would be my dream Celtics summer. Other than them spiking Scalabrine's Gatorade with one of the NBA's banned substances so they could get him off the cap. But I like this draft a little more than most - it's top-heavy, but Ty Thomas will be good, and Noah (if he comes out), and so will Morrison and Roy, and I think the two foreigners (Splitter and Bargnani) are better than people realize. Plus, you know some of the teams in front of them will take stiffs like Aldridge and Rudy Gay, so good guys will drop down. And Minny is picking right in front of them - you know McHale will screw that pick up. I think they're in good shape.

Walter (New Hampshire): Glad you're not the Cetics GM, Bill. That would be a stupid trade. Have you been watching O'Neil play? Get over trying to build a championship around Paul, it won't happen.

Bill Simmons: JO needs a change of scenery and he needs to get healthy - he's still in his mid-20's, and he was the best guy on a team that almost made the Finals 2 years ago. Remember, teams aren't going to trade an A-list guy unless there's some sort of reason... everyone forgets, Barkley was traded once. So was Oscar. So was Earl Monroe. Wilt was traded twice. Etc etc...
    That trade would need Delonte West and a pick thrown in for Tinsley, also, I think. 2 maybes and a horrible contract don't = perennial all-star.

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    That trade would need Delonte West and a pick thrown in for Tinsley, also, I think. 2 maybes and a horrible contract don't = perennial all-star.
    I was reading somewhere that Bird is/was enamored with Delonte. Funny that Bill Simmons came up with that trade. I wasn 't aware of it. I was about to post the exact same trade of Raef/Jefferson/Green for JO.

My rationale was that JO is reaching his prime and is still young and a marque name. I'd have to think a Pierce/JO tandem would appeal to the Celts. Raef is eating up thjeir cap space, so we'd have an albatross there for the next 3-4 years, but on the upside, we'd get Gerald Green, with his huge potential upside. Al could be a reduced skills version of JO down the road.

Marketing-wise, where would that put us? Who would be the face of the Pacers? Tricky. In that scenario, do you give Peja a big contract and commitment and make him the "face" of the Pacers. I think not.

It's nearly impossible to come up with trade scenarios right now with the wealth of expiring contracts/free agents coming up.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkety Drunk Drunk
    My rationale was that JO is reaching his prime and is still young and a marque name. I'd have to think a Pierce/JO tandem would appeal to the Celts. Raef is eating up thjeir cap space, so we'd have an albatross there for the next 3-4 years, but on the upside, we'd get Gerald Green, with his huge potential upside. Al could be a reduced skills version of JO down the road.
    A guy who has so much percieved potential and upside that our management and scouting teams didn't draft him..........this year.

Considering who fell in our lap, no, they didn't draft him. But there was a reason for that. Remember when Bird was talking about the draft, he said that he didn't want a "milk drinker", but a kid who could play this season.

Doesn't mean he doesn't have upside or huge potential.

To make an analogy from a few years past, just cause you may pass on Jason Richardson in order to pick up Eddie Curry, doesn't mean you don't think JR doesn't have great potential.

Thing about Granger he was rated just out of the top five, so how do you pass him up? I don't see that as an indictment that they didn't/don't see big upside on Gerald.

Matter of fact, here's a quote for you from Larry Bird:

"Well, if Gerald Green is there we will take him, but other than that we’ll be looking for someone with great talent and someone who went to college for a few years."

The Pacers were looking for immediate need, and a guy with some seasoning,not another project like Bender, is the way I took it. They really liked Green a lot, but then how does that help a squad this young. They would have taken Green until Mr. Projected top 10 pick fell into their lap.

So there!
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

They're going to trade their franchise player for a guy they didn't want to draft when they had the option.

Good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    They're going to trade their franchise player for a guy they didn't want to draft.

Good for you.
    You have me totally confused. What are you saying?

Are you saying because the Celts didn't draft Jermaine, they didn't want him? I refer you back to my JRich analogy. Not drafting doesn't equate to not wanting to draft.

Once again, I have a quote for you. This onew from the Celtics:

"Yesterday, Jermaine O'Neal of the Portland Trail Blazers came out with a
    ''request'' to be traded and the Celtics are one of the teams who would
    like to accommodate the young center. ''I like Jermaine O'Neal's game a
    lot,'' was all coach Rick Pitino would say last night, when reached to
    ask about the Celtics' interest in the 21-year-old.

This statement was a mde a few years after Jermaine was drafted, so obviously the organization had interest in him and still may.

Ans here's another quote for you:

June 29 - Boston Globe columnist Michael Holley writes: "At one point last
    night, ...(the Celtics) decided that it would be best to trade three No. 1
    draft picks along with a player or two for 21-year-old Portland center
    Jermaine O'Neal."

He's at it again: Boston's Rick Pitino offered Portland three No. 1 picks,
    including this year's No. 11 that he ultimately used for Jerome Moiso, for
    Jermaine O'Neal but was turned down. "Our owner [Paul Gaston] told us that
    the future is now," Pitino said. "He said the fans have been patient for the
    last six or seven years." - Mark Heisler LA Times, July 1

There's the possibility that JO's age would mesh better with their current compliment of players, rather than aproject like GG. Kind of a reverse situation on why they didn't take JO to begin with.

Paul Gaston thought JO was too young to wait on years ago, but liked him. Maybe now knowing that GG will take years to develop and they see their initial impression of JO proved true, they may want him.

You forget. I'm an NBA geek and follow a lot of teams and read quite a few mesage board. Always have. I have a pretty good feel for most team and what thye've done in the past and said.

Anything else I can shoot down?

They're going to trade an MVP candidate for a guy they didn't draft just a few months ago.

At some point you're going to realize I've really just been trying to rile you up and then this won't be fun anymore. But hopefully we can have another 4 or 5 exchanges before that happens.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    At some point you're going to realize I've really just been trying to rile you up and then this won't be fun anymore. But hopefully we can have another 4 or 5 exchanges before that happens.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

I was wondering (payback) what you were up (payback) to. Lemme see (payback), what's that dish that is best served cold?

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    I was wondering (payback) what you were up (payback) to. Lemme see (payback), what's that dish that is best served cold?
    Anything your wife cooks for me, since we're always too busy to eat it.

SNAP!

Please don't hurt me.

Oh, no you di-int!!

Oh, no, you di-int!!

And quit being so coy. We both know you are never too busy to eat it.

Alright, quit ninjaing my thread