Thread: The difference between Sheed's fade and JO's

Default The difference between Sheed's fade and JO's

Why does it seem like Rasheed's turnaround-fadeaway shot is so deadly, while Jermaine's isn't? Is there something that Rasheed does differently in technique? Is it just that Sheed is a better shooter?

Or is this just a weird perception of mine, and the two shots are actually of equal effectiveness?

One thing I noticed, it seems that Rasheed does not take as much contact when he shoots his fadeaway, for whatever reason.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Default Re: The difference between Sheed's fade and JO's

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why does it seem like Rasheed's turnaround-fadeaway shot is so deadly, while Jermaine's isn't? Is there something that Rasheed does differently in technique? Is it just that Sheed is a better shooter?

Or is this just a weird perception of mine, and the two shots are actually of equal effectiveness?

One thing I noticed, it seems that Rasheed does not take as much contact when he shoots his fadeaway, for whatever reason.
    I thought that said Shade. Haha, I was waiting for the punchline.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

Arc? Rasheed has more length and can shoot over people more easily? Both?

Sheed is a better shooter thats what the difference is.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Arc? Rasheed has more length and can shoot over people more easily? Both?
    Yep. Rasheed is extremely long and has a great touch for a guy that size. He can get his shot over whoever he wants without having to worry about being blocked. Look at his extension and release - it's way up there.

I'm not entirely sure about why Sheed is so much more effective on the low block with a fadeaway when compared to JO. But one thing I've noticed about JO is that he tends to fade back a bit on his faceup jumpshots, especially when he is near the foul line. Quite often he has the space to get that midrange shot off with ease, but is still fading back and doesn't shoot the %s he should on such an open shot.

Sheed's shot is so much more purer and smoother than most NBA guards. JO's form is not as fluid as Sheed's and he also a weird contortion of his elbow while shooting. Look at JO shoot FTs next time. He twists his arm a lot to get his elbow squared up. JO's shot is also lot flatter than Sheed's, therefore has less chance of going in.

Could be because he might not have his hips turned and squared. It sounds stupid because a fade really isn't a fundamental shot, but you still have to look at the basket and that second makes your square up....

or I could be totally pulling crap out my *** and Sheed just has better awareness of where he's at....I like both.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

One studied under Dean Smith and the other didn't.

If you look back to his UNC days, his shot changed dramatically bewteen year 1 and year 2.

Year 1, Sheed was mostly a dunker.

He was taught how to utilize his wingspan with a higher release, his range incresed at least 5 feet, and his FG% shot up to %65. He was about as fundamentally sound on the block as a big man can possibly be.

By the time he came to the NBA, he had a deadly turnaround-fadaway, even by NBA standards.

Much like a young pitcher that needs to practice his lesser pitches against minor-league hitters, A lot of young post players NEED to practice their moves against college players first and foremost.

In the NBA, it's very very hard to develop post moves, because there's so little room for screwing up for the sake of development.

Yeah, JO, Howard and KG are three guys that have gotten better in the post straight out of HS, but I can submit a list a mile long of young big men who never developed any effective post moves after being drafted.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 8.9_seconds
    I thought that said Shade. Haha, I was waiting for the punchline.
    Funny thing is, I have a fade modeled after JO's...but mine is more consistent.

Sheed shoots it might higher and acutally has some form. JO puts wayyyy too much elbow into his shot (***** it back way too far). JO needs to work on arching.

Besides Kstat enlightening us on how any Piston player is amazingly gifted, could it be Rasheed picks and chooses the spots for his fadeaways a little more selectively than JO and thus isn't forcing things nearly as much?

Please note that any slams directed at Kstat are because his team is winning... and winning... and winning... and winning... and because Joe Dumars knows how to build and maintain a contender. ...And Kstat gets to revel in that....

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden