Thread: Maybe we should slow it down after all....

Default Maybe we should slow it down after all....

The second half against the knicks was a thing of beauty.

The strange thing is that we slowed it down and in doing so we slowly ripped away their will. It reminded me of what we did to the celtics last year in game 7. Our cuts to the basket were sharp and our screens were effective. It didn't hurt that we shot so well but maybe we shot well because we took our time and didn't rush things.

It was a totally different team playing at a different pace. It actually provided me with hope for the rest of the season and playoffs.

Default Re: Maybe we should slow it down after all....

I don't think anyone minds "slow it down" ball, and this team is well-suited to that style of play. What people mind is the "get it to JO and start running back on defense" style we have played in the past. As long as there is good ball movement, cuts to the basket, and more importantly, passers hitting the cutter fairly often, this will be a successful, fun team to watch. The question is, will that happen regularly?

PS: The cutters and ball movement have always been a part of the offense. The problem in past seasons is that JO and Ron virtually NEVER hit the guy cutting towards the basket for a layup. Perhaps the Euro influence of Peja and Sarunas are rubbing off on the other guys. Perhaps Sarunas got the 2nd unit to run the offense unselfishly and they wiped the floor with the starters, who knows?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Perhaps the outside shooters hit a few shots so that 3 defenders couldn't collapse and choke the post player's passing lanes?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think anyone minds "slow it down" ball, and this team is well-suited to that style of play.

No, a good half-court offense is a pleasure to watch. Next year, with new players and whoever the coach is, I would still expect a lot of halfcourt basketball.

What I do mind is knowing that the Pacers are incapable of pushing the ball on the fast break. They cannot run even when they have the opportunity.

When was the last time the Pacers scored more fastbreak points than the other team?

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam
    When was the last time the Pacers scored more fastbreak points than the other team?

Monday?
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

in order to win a champioship you have to have a balance attack on both ends

have a low post presence to spread the defense in half court (Duncan, Shaq, Sheed)

Have a player that can push the ball (Parker, Wade, Billups)

HAve players that can rotate and collapse effectively (Tay, Wallaces, Rip)

Have big men that can get back and stop transition offenses (Tay, Haslem)

Pistons have all of that and that is why they are the favorites to win it all.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    I don't think anyone minds "slow it down" ball, and this team is well-suited to that style of play.
    Maybe true. But they should still try to run and score easy baskets at every opportunity.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you