Thread: Talking about Rick Carlisle

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Talking about Rick Carlisle

Okay, as an outsider, I have watched Carlisle coach but only infrequently. I see more and more comments here about him needing to go. I'm curious. You guys know him pretty well. What would you say, trying to be objective (if at all possible ), are his strengths and his weaknesses?
    NBA basketball - taking my breath away since 1963.

sweabs

Default Re: Talking about Rick Carlisle

This doesn't have much to do with the question you asked, but I'm wondering if you started this thread for the reasons I'm suspecting...

Wouldn't it be funny if the Pacers somehow managed to get Adelman, and the Kings went ahead and took Carlisle? And then Ron and Rick would be reunited once again!

Ron would retire if he had to play with Rick again

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've only got two complaints with him, and they aren't that big of a deal to me because I see the reasoning.

1.) He's a micromanager. He calls the plays, and he's very structured.

2.) He doesn't leave players in nearly long enough. Some people say he has an egg-timer for his subs, and he probably does but not as complex as they'll lead you to believe. If a player is hot, he takes them out before they cool off, I think because he's afraid they will cool off and shoot some possessions away before they release it's gone.

DeAthrow

Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've only got two complaints with him, and they aren't that big of a deal to me because I see the reasoning.

2.) He doesn't leave players in nearly long enough. Some people say he has an egg-timer for his subs, and he probably does but not as complex as they'll lead you to believe. If a player is hot, he takes them out before they cool off, I think because he's afraid they will cool off and shoot some possessions away before they release it's gone.
    So he takes them out to cool them himself?

Weaknessess:

Rigid substitution patterns
    Extremely controlling on offense
    Very dispassionate

Strengths:

Consistent substitution patterns
    Runs a structured offense designed to minimize turnovers
    Maintains control of his emotions even under difficult circumstances
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    Strengths:

1.Consistent substitution patterns
    2.Runs a structured offense designed to minimize turnovers
    3.Maintains control of his emotions even under difficult circumstances
    His strenghts dont help the players.

1. Takes out players even if they hot.
    2. We still get too many turnovers.
    3. So what? I'd prefer him to have a go at refs or players when they deserve it.
    My Dream Team

PG - A.Iverson
    SG - K.Bryant
    SF - R.Artest
    PF - J.O'Neal
    C - D.Howard

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rick would rather win in the regular season, within his comfort zone, by playing veterans, playing conservatively, controlling the tempo...

Than to allow his young players an opportunity to develop, or let his players just play the game.

Rick's a great tactician. He's a master of x's and o's.

In fact, that is what separates him from the rest of the "average" bench coaches in the league and let's him sneak into the bottom of the top-five or top-ten coaching lists.

Long-term, he's a de-motivator of players with his lack of trust, and his rigidity. And he's overstayed his welcome.

Although he's much different than Larry Brown, he's also a lot like Larry Brown. 2-3 years of him is about all that NBA players can take.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86

I agree and disagree.

1 ) Given that we have players like SJax, Tinsley, AJ, Freddie and JONeal who like to dominate the ball......do you want to give them the key's to the car when it comes to having an offensive strategy?

I don't like it....but I think that with the given roster and the nature of certain players....I think that we have to have a controlled offense. If not....then we would probably suck more then do now.

2 ) Before JONeal and Tinsley returned....I liked the set substitution patterns that we had.......there was a certain group of players AJ/SJax/Peja/Croshere and Sarunas/Freddie/Granger/Harrison ( both with Foster switching between both groups ) that played very well together. When one came in...all of them came in....thus building some form of chemistry. But I do agree with you that he doesn't stick with the "hot" player.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Hey VF, want to switch coaches?

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    This doesn't have much to do with the question you asked, but I'm wondering if you started this thread for the reasons I'm suspecting...

Wouldn't it be funny if the Pacers somehow managed to get Adelman, and the Kings went ahead and took Carlisle? And then Ron and Rick would be reunited once again!
    I think with the amount of times Ron complained about Rick's Offense it would never work. Maybe if anything Ron was right about one thing , Rick's Offense

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by TheSauceMaster
    I think with the amount of times Ron complained about Rick's Offense it would never work. Maybe if anything Ron was right about one thing , Rick's Offense
    Hah - that's exactly why I was wondering why VF started this thread...perhaps the thought of hiring Carlisle (should his position open up) popped into his/her head.

But that's the funny thing, because if those 2 were to reunite, it would be chaos. But I happen to believe the Kings bought Artest low and will sell him high...so I don't expect him to be there for too long. At least, that's what they should do.

He's great at milking the most out of guys with limited talent, due to the style he plays. In theory, it emphasizes getting a high percentage shot while taking as much time off of the clock as possible. It's the NBA equivalent of the ball-control offense in the NFL. This works admirably as long as everyone is willing to play hardnosed defense and not worry about things like stats or ESPN. This is also why he needs to go now. After 3 years of this with no rings or Finals appearances, the players are tired of this physically tough brand of basketball, without seeing any rewards.

I think Rick should make his living going from crappy team to crappy team, turning them into 50 game winners and drawing in fans. If I were the GM of any NBA club that had limited talent and wanted to get the most out of them, I'd be burning up Rick Carlisle's cell. The problem is, this team + his brand of basketball = no rings, ever.

Now, give him the crew Van Gundy has? He'd be destroying people.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's no secret that Adelman doesn't have a new contract or an extension. And, to a number of people, he may not get either from the Maloofs. They say them want him to stay, but they reportedly haven't made any offers. He says it depends on the Maloofs, but I don't think he's totally forgiven them for the PhilJackson courtship last summer...

So, I'm looking around and quite frankly I don't like any of the prospects to follow in Adelman's footsteps.

Of all the coaches who just might be available, however, Carlisle is the one I just don't know very much about. I realize the whole thing is probably moot because I doubt if the Maloofs are going to do anything to upset the apple cart, so to speak, by bringing RC to town as long as Artest is here.

What I've read pretty much supports my initial belief that Carlisle just wouldn't work in Sacramento...

I respect and admire Rick Adelman. I saw him take my beloved Kings from nowhere to pretty close to the top of the mountain. I do not believe it was his fault we didn't reach the finals. All things have to end, however, so I realize sooner rather than later he will most likely be coaching another team. And some of the newer Kings fans will realize the truth in the saying you don't appreciate what you have until you've lost it.

Thanks for the comments.
    NBA basketball - taking my breath away since 1963.

I don't think Rick would coach Ron again for a bazillion dollars.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    Hah - that's exactly why I was wondering why VF started this thread...perhaps the thought of hiring Carlisle (should his position open up) popped into his/her head.

But that's the funny thing, because if those 2 were to reunite, it would be chaos. But I happen to believe the Kings bought Artest low and will sell him high...so I don't expect him to be there for too long. At least, that's what they should do.
    I think so too.

Although, isn't that what we always tried? To sell Ron when he had some good value?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    I think so too.

Although, isn't that what we always tried? To sell Ron when he had some good value?
    Yep...but when he's got good value, he's a tough player to get rid of! And therein lies the problem of Ron Artest.

Although the Maloofs are gamblers...they know what they're doing.

Doesnt play young players at all. If he had Lebron on his team he would some how make sure Austin Croshere played over him. If some stud rookie comes a long and Rick Carlisle's team has a first pick, I really feel sorry for that rookies career cause it wont be ****.

After 3 years of this with no rings or Finals appearances, the players are tired of this physically tough brand of basketball, without seeing any rewards.
    Then maybe they shouldn't have gotten themselves suspended and maybe they should act like professionals and not self absorbed babies.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

Rick is an awesome coach the only downfall is his substitutions. That's why he couldn't win it all in Detroit. If we had Larry Bird longer we would of have a ring by now .

Strengths:
    X's and O's
    Professionalism

Weaknesses:
    Relational skills with players
    Questionable substitution pattern

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    Rick would rather win in the regular season, within his comfort zone, by playing veterans, playing conservatively, controlling the tempo...

Than to allow his young players an opportunity to develop, or let his players just play the game.

Rick's a great tactician. He's a master of x's and o's.

In fact, that is what separates him from the rest of the "average" bench coaches in the league and let's him sneak into the bottom of the top-five or top-ten coaching lists.

Long-term, he's a de-motivator of players with his lack of trust, and his rigidity. And he's overstayed his welcome.

Although he's much different than Larry Brown, he's also a lot like Larry Brown. 2-3 years of him is about all that NBA players can take.
    Holy smokes. Well said.