Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: BOOK: Transition Game - How Hoosiers Went Hip Hop

  1. #1
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default BOOK: Transition Game - How Hoosiers Went Hip Hop

    OK, so I was in O'Hare yesterday and I was a little early for my flight. To kill time, I went to the bookstore to see if I could find something interesting. Buried in the "Games" section I found this book: Transition Game - How Hoosiers Went Hip Hop by L. Jon Wertheim. Wertheim has written lots of articles (most notably to us, the now infamous Bird/Artest cover story at the beginning of this season). What you might not know about him is this: he's a Bloomington North H.S. grad.

    Evidently, this book was published last year and I never even heard of it.

    I'll say this: anybody who is interested in the culture of Indiana and the state of basketbell in the basketball State needs to find this book and read it right now.

    What does this have to do with the Pacers? It covers the Pacers later in the book (I'm not there yet). But so far there are lots of great quotes from Larry Bird and Donnie Walsh (example: "drafting Damon Baily was nothing more than a P.R. move.") EDIT- Oh yeah - Slick is in there too.

    It is certainly not an NBA book, it's a hoosier book and it covers the sport at every level and every gender. It focuses a lot on the BHSN Cougars, but always relates to the game and our culture as a whole.

    I plan on reading it a second time as soon as I'm through it the first time.

    Jay had a sort of "book club thread" idea last off-season. I'm willing to give it another go - anyone else interested in reading and posting about it?

  2. #2
    Member McClintic Sphere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Purgatory
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: BOOK: Transition Game - How Hoosiers Went Hip Hop

    The author of this book was on the local sports radio show when this book was being released. He was a good interview and made me interested in reading this, but I had sort of forgotten about it until you posted this. I'm gonna try to find this at the libs.

  3. #3
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,959

    Default Re: BOOK: Transition Game - How Hoosiers Went Hip Hop

    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  4. #4
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: BOOK: Transition Game - How Hoosiers Went Hip Hop

    OK folks, I know it's playoff time, but there is no game today and if you don't go out and buy this book, there is something wrong with you.

    Quote Originally Posted by PAGE 110
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Overnight the Fieldhouse had a staggering effect on the Pacer's bottom line. In its first season in its new home, revenues tripled from approximately $40 million to more than $120 million. ... The team that had ranked in the bottom third in the league financially was suddenly in the top quarter.
    Does the ballooning salary of the Pacers in the early nineties make more sense to anyone now?

    Quote Originally Posted by PAGE 125
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In a classic Old School--New School clash, Artest picked up a technical in the 2003 preseason when he pretended to throw a ball to the ref and then took it back. "He's not from the park," Artest said of the ref. ... Carlisle immediately benched Artest. "If I'm going to be taken out for stuff like that, I'd rather not be in the game," Artest complained. "I'd rather be with another team."

    The next day at practice, Bird pulled Artest aside. "How long do you think I'm going to f*** around with you?"

    Artest was stunned. "What?"

    Bird locked eyes with him again. "How long do you think I'm going to f*** around with you? Pull that s*** one more time and I'm trading your ***."

    Artest recorded five technical fouls the rest of the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by PAGE 137
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A few months earlier, as the Pacers were fighting for a playoff position, O'Neal spent a day shooting a Nike commercial in the Bronx and his charter flight didn't return to Indianapolis until 3:00 A.M. Not surprisingly, he played a sub-par game that night.
    And just below that, Winston and Sagarin, creators of WinVal statistics software, are having a meeting with Donnie Walsh just before O'Neal wins his 126 million dollar contract:

    Quote Originally Posted by PAGE 137
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    [Winston and Sagarin] assumed that O'Neal, center Brad Miller and Ron Artest were the team's best three players in 2002-03. Without Miller in the lineup, but with Artest and O'Neal on the floor, the Pacers played at a +3 level. Without Artest in the lineup, but with O'Neal and Miller playing, the Pacers were a +4. The team's rating withoug O'Neal but with Artest and Miller? ... +14 ... "Bottom line," Sagarin said matter-of-factly. "He's not that key a player." Walsh looked on. Poker player that he is, it was hard to discern if he was fascinated by all of the empirical information in front of him. Or disdainful of the two mathematically inclined pinheads who were wasting his time trying to pollute art with science.

  5. #5
    Member McClintic Sphere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Purgatory
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: BOOK: Transition Game - How Hoosiers Went Hip Hop

    Okay Okay. Convinced.

  6. #6
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: BOOK: Transition Game - How Hoosiers Went Hip Hop

    In a classic Old School--New School clash, Artest picked up a technical in the 2003 preseason when he pretended to throw a ball to the ref and then took it back. "He's not from the park," Artest said of the ref. ... Carlisle immediately benched Artest. "If I'm going to be taken out for stuff like that, I'd rather not be in the game," Artest complained. "I'd rather be with another team."

    The next day at practice, Bird pulled Artest aside. "How long do you think I'm going to f*** around with you?"

    Artest was stunned. "What?"

    Bird locked eyes with him again. "How long do you think I'm going to f*** around with you? Pull that s*** one more time and I'm trading your ***."
    The Adult Boomer sure has balls! Loved this.

  7. #7
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: BOOK: Transition Game - How Hoosiers Went Hip Hop

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Adult Boomer sure has balls! Loved this.
    Sadly, he put up with lots more before he actually traded him.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  8. #8
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: BOOK: Transition Game - How Hoosiers Went Hip Hop

    I just ordered it. I love this kinda of stuff.

    Why wasn't this book bigger news

  9. #9
    Banned Jermaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Your baby moms house
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,717

    Default Re: BOOK: Transition Game - How Hoosiers Went Hip Hop

    I have to get this book, I ordered it also.

  10. #10
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,061
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: BOOK: Transition Game - How Hoosiers Went Hip Hop

    I actually picked it up yesterday.

  11. #11
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: BOOK: Transition Game - How Hoosiers Went Hip Hop

    Wow. I just added the book to my Amazon.com wish list. Great find, Los Angeles. How is ti none of us had heard of this book?
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

  12. #12
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: BOOK: Transition Game - How Hoosiers Went Hip Hop

    Los Angeles, does the book contain a lot more insight into the Pacers, or is that about it?

  13. #13
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: BOOK: Transition Game - How Hoosiers Went Hip Hop

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Los Angeles, does the book contain a lot more insight into the Pacers, or is that about it?
    Well, it's mostly a book about basketball in Indiana in general. I'm about 2/3 of the way through it.

    Chapter 1: BHSN Cougars opening night
    Chapter 2: Damon Bailey (lots of good pacers stuff in this chapter)
    Chapter 3: Building the BHSN empire (covers Jeffries and Sean May)
    Chapter 4: The fall of Bobby Knight (possibly the most powerful chapter in this book, there's a lot more that went on that I never knew about, including Bobby Knight conspiring to keep Sean May out of IU)
    Chapter 5: Profile of the Duany basketball family
    Chapter 6: The culture of the NBA and the Pacers - GREAT CHAPTER, and I've only quoted a couple of paragraphs.
    Chapter 7: The science of statistics and WinVal software (created by 2 Bloomingtonians)
    Chapter 8: BHSN Rivalry with BSHS
    Chapter 9: Purdue's Women's team and women's ball in general

    That's what I've read so far, and every chapter is outstanding. It's not just a "dirt digging" expose, it is social history of the sport as it has changed over the last 15 years or so and every chapter is entrenched in Hoosier history.

    I also have to warn everyone that it was clear that the book was finished two summers ago (before the brawl) but published after the brawl, the fight is only mentioned as parenthetical editorial addition at the end of a chapter. It is possible that this book fell off the radar because 11/19 made some of the revelations in the book old news.

  14. #14
    Pacers fan in FL Deadshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    1,936

    Default Re: BOOK: Transition Game - How Hoosiers Went Hip Hop

    Looks like a good book. I ordered a copy today. Not a bad deal when you go on Amazon and get it for under $5 delivered.

  15. #15
    Member McClintic Sphere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Purgatory
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: BOOK: Transition Game - How Hoosiers Went Hip Hop

    Like I stated before, this guy made the rounds on the local talks sports shows (Rakestraw, JMV) and did outstanding, lengthy interviews on both shows. I'm kind of surprised it wasn't more widely purchased and discussed locally. Then again, I neglected to obtain it, so I guess that is sometimes the way it goes. IIRC, the author is a Bloomington North grad, no? I remember some funny stuff about Pat Knight, who I always viewed as the ultimate tool.

  16. #16
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: BOOK: Transition Game - How Hoosiers Went Hip Hop

    I almost ordered it on Amazon this afternoon, but then I realized I had a birthday coming up in... Good Lord, 6 days, so I'm holding off in case I get a Border's gift card or something.

  17. #17
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: BOOK: Transition Game - How Hoosiers Went Hip Hop

    I have the book now and there really isn't that much about the Pacers in it. There is a whole chapter on the NBA from the Pacers perspective, but if you are expecting a book that is more than about 15% on the Pacers you will be disappointed. it is a good book though, and I've enjoyed it so far.

  18. #18

    Default Re: BOOK: Transition Game - How Hoosiers Went Hip Hop

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I almost ordered it on Amazon this afternoon, but then I realized I had a birthday coming up in... Good Lord, 6 days, so I'm holding off in case I get a Border's gift card or something.
    Check your mail next week.

    Happy Birthday.

  19. #19
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: BOOK: Transition Game - How Hoosiers Went Hip Hop

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Check your mail next week.

    Happy Birthday.
    Seriously?

    Wow. Thanks a lot; that's extremely nice of you.

  20. #20
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,952

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: BOOK: Transition Game - How Hoosiers Went Hip Hop

    DIdnt see it at my local Border's...


    Did pick up "The Show," however. Looks like a very interesting read.

    Chauncey?

    I never knew Dr J could have been a Laker but wasnt because the Owner didnt think it was a good investment...

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  21. #21
    Member BoomBaby31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles (Marina del Rey)
    Posts
    1,958

    Default Re: BOOK: Transition Game - How Hoosiers Went Hip Hop

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, it's mostly a book about basketball in Indiana in general. I'm about 2/3 of the way through it.

    Chapter 1: BHSN Cougars opening night
    Chapter 2: Damon Bailey (lots of good pacers stuff in this chapter)
    Chapter 3: Building the BHSN empire (covers Jeffries and Sean May)
    Chapter 4: The fall of Bobby Knight (possibly the most powerful chapter in this book, there's a lot more that went on that I never knew about, including Bobby Knight conspiring to keep Sean May out of IU)
    Chapter 5: Profile of the Duany basketball family
    Chapter 6: The culture of the NBA and the Pacers - GREAT CHAPTER, and I've only quoted a couple of paragraphs.
    Chapter 7: The science of statistics and WinVal software (created by 2 Bloomingtonians)
    Chapter 8: BHSN Rivalry with BSHS
    Chapter 9: Purdue's Women's team and women's ball in general

    That's what I've read so far, and every chapter is outstanding. It's not just a "dirt digging" expose, it is social history of the sport as it has changed over the last 15 years or so and every chapter is entrenched in Hoosier history.

    I also have to warn everyone that it was clear that the book was finished two summers ago (before the brawl) but published after the brawl, the fight is only mentioned as parenthetical editorial addition at the end of a chapter. It is possible that this book fell off the radar because 11/19 made some of the revelations in the book old news.
    Got to love Indiana Basketball.. I graduated from south, have played basketball with May and Jefferies. This was a great find, and a good read so far. Thank you for bringing this to the forums attention. Sort of off the subject but, when I use to play at the Hper (I.U Rec Center) everyday there was always talk/rumors about a movie in production based on the Hper as being one of the best pick-up game places in the world. Have any of you ever heard of this? It was suppose to be called something like Shirts and Skins.

  22. #22

    Default Re: BOOK: Transition Game - How Hoosiers Went Hip Hop

    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Got to love Indiana Basketball.. I graduated from south, have played basketball with May and Jefferies. This was a great find, and a good read so far. Thank you for bringing this to the forums attention. Sort of off the subject but, when I use to play at the Hper (I.U Rec Center) everyday there was always talk/rumors about a movie in production based on the Hper as being one of the best pick-up game places in the world. Have any of you ever heard of this? It was suppose to be called something like Shirts and Skins.
    http://www.iub.edu/~pickup/index.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •