Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd thoughts about being beaten by the Pistons....

Default Odd thoughts about being beaten by the Pistons....

I'm not even sure what there is to say anymore.

Well, yes I do & I know there are going to be a lot of people out there who disagree with me on this next statement but I'm going to say it anyway.

I now think it would be in the best interest of the younger players (& even some of the veteran players who are going to be around in the future) that this team not make the playoffs.

Someone is going to say that just making the playoffs will help the youngsters by seeing how teams elevate it to another level or that any kind of playoff experiance is a good thing.

Normally I'd be with you.

But I'm not there now.

I just think things are so poisonous in our locker room that I think it would be in everybodys best interest to just get this over with, end the season, make whatever changes we are going to make & move on.

We all know that Rick will play the playoffs to try & win (& there is not a person here who would be for him doing otherwise) so you will not see Saras, David & Danny out there a lot getting valuable time. You will see A.J. Jamaal, Fred, J.O., Jeff & Cro.

Sure they will get a few min. but I think whatever advantage that could be gotten by them being on the floor will be more than negated by all of the fingerpointing & back biting that will occur with a losing series.

Next year when we have more harmony in our group then I would like to see them get the playoff exposure.

But right now the best thing for everybody is to seperate for the summer & come back next fall with whatever new players & even coach's then.

Like I said normally I'm all for the playoff experiance & no I don't give a d@mn about elevating our draft pick because I know we are going to pick mid-teens either way. But I just honestly beleive they will learn more bad habbits than good & every day they are together with this group intact more damage is being done.

Now to todays game.

Well at least I got to see Dale play gain, that counts for something doesn't it?

No, not really. However I do want to point out one thing. How is it Dale played 30 less min. than Jermaine yet he only grabbed two less rebounds? It's just a coincidence I'm sure.

BTW, that's not really a knock at J.O. because I didn't have a problem with his play for the most part. I would like to see him get some more rebounds however I want everybody to grab more rebounds.

You see Ben Wallace today? I want him to grab more rebounds as well, just not ours.

I don't think I've ever looked forward to an off-season this much in my life. This is the first time in forever that a major change has needed to be made & that Walsh isn't the only voice in the game.

We will see this summer if Bird really is the bad @ss no crap taking butt kicker that he has always been made out to be or if he is (as my good friend Roaming Gnome) just boomer for the adults.

I get the feeling that even if this were just Walsh he would really do something as well. It wouldn't be as much as I would want but even he would see this for the titanic that it is.

Oh yea, back to the game.

We just flat out missed a lot of shots that we should have hit. Jax had a layup fall out from being almost all the way down, J.O. missed a dunk, Peja had a couple of in & outers.

I know that it is always envogue to say that we are suffering from lack of defense & I freely admit we have defensive problems. But you are not going to win many games shooting 36% from the floor. You are also going to have a horrid time winning getting 20 points in the paint.

I'll just go out & say it now. We must improve our offense over the summer before we improve our defense.

We have the talent right now to play good solid defense & for whatever reason right now they just are not doing it.

However I question whether or not we have the players to play any form of good sustained offense & oh btw offensive rebounds are part of the offense.

Anyway, I'm going to cut this one short because the more I go on the more I am going to end up doing some form of post season thing.

I know we will probably make the playoffs, but in fact this is the one season where I think we would be better off not making it.

Default Re: Odd thoughts about being beaten by the Pistons....

I hate to say but it would be a relief not to make post-season just to end all this tension and embarrasment every time they take the court.

You are right that the young guys will see relatively little time in any play-off scenario and, frankly, I don't need to see our regulars any more than necessary for fear they'll make me puke with their play and attitude.

The acerbic atmosphere surrounding this team means very little to be gained by extending the season a few games. Please, Chicago & Philly, go on a hot streak and put us out of our misery. Then let heads roll!

I wish there was a rule in the NBA that in order to make the playoffs a team has to have a .500 record or better.

But I know one thing I cannot watch a game and hope the Pacers lose, so I still want them to win the game.

I hope we miss the playoffs as well Peck - mostly because I see us taking a top team to 6 - or God forbid - to 7.

Then that team will go on and win the East - or even worse - the NBA championship and we will hear about how close the Pacers are to being a contender.

We will make a minor tweak.

The marketing department will come out with their variation of the "One Goal" slogan.

And we will have another lousy fracking year.

No thanks. The sooner this chapter in Pacers history is over, the better.
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

*sigh*

I've been of the "playoff experience is good" camp for a long time, but this post makes a lot of very, very good points.

To be honest, I'm at a point where I only see downsides to whatever action we take.

About the only thing I would do (which I know Rick will not, as you said) is actually sit the top vets for the last games and let the young guys play it out. If we make the playoffs even with that lineup it might put a little fire back into the team. If we don't, it isn't any real loss.

I think this season is a contender as the new winner of the "Season We Do Not Name" epithet.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

For those of you who want to play the young guys, who are you talking about besides Granger.

Harrison is injured, and we really don't have any other young guys do we

At minimum go ahead and give Granger and Saras starter's minutes. I'd say play Harrison if he wasn't injured (anyone else getting really nervous about that knee?) Keep Peja on the floor with that group if possible.

Heck, this is like garbage time for the season, use it.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

We're still in a playoff race.

I've already paid for my tickets, and I know that you guys have to.

Are you saying its really okay for a professional team to "mail it in" while they would still qualify for the playoffs if the season ended today. As a paying customer, I'm got a 0% tolerance for that.

If they miss the playoffs, I want it to be because they took their best shot and went down swinging. Not quitting, which is what is basically being suggested above.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Are you saying its really okay for a professional team to "mail it in" while they would still qualify for the playoffs if the season ended today. As a paying customer, I'm got a 0% tolerance for that.

If they miss the playoffs, I want it to be because they took their best shot and went down swinging. Not quitting, which is what is basically being suggested above.

Now that I agree with

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Now that I agree with
    I agree with your agreement......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Mark me up as agreeable too.

And in the "I'm a complete idiot category" I just shelled out 150 bucks (well close - add in gas and I'll top it) for my usual section 16 row 11 "Knicks are comin' to town" seats. If anyone wants to get together at halftime and commiserate over the collective suckfest of our respective teams, let me know.

I swore I wasn't going to spend another dime on that loser of a team - they win 3 and I'm back. I'm such a gullible moron.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

This team isn't going to go down "swinging", even if Rick was fired today.

This team will go down playing no defense, with no offense except he who has the ball shoots, with no one in position for rebounds (like that's different), with the only difference being there'd be no coach to point fingers at.

This team has already given up on itself. If you think that the only reason they're playing at this level is Rick, and that firing Rick suddenly turns them into a second round team, you're nuts.

I'd rather see a lesser-skilled team on the floor that wants to play basketball at both ends instead of this current team sliding into obscurity and really not caring about it.
    BillS

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    Mark me up as agreeable too.

And in the "I'm a complete idiot category" I just shelled out 150 bucks (well close - add in gas and I'll top it) for my usual section 16 row 11 "Knicks are comin' to town" seats. If anyone wants to get together at halftime and commiserate over the collective suckfest of our respective teams, let me know.

I swore I wasn't going to spend another dime on that loser of a team - they win 3 and I'm back. I'm such a gullible moron.

We appreciate your support of the Indiana Pacers in their time of need. Be sure to buy lots of food and rinks and stop by the Homecourt gift shop

Oh. My. God.

Second line.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    We appreciate your support of the Indiana Pacers in their time of need. Be sure to buy lots of food and rinks and stop by the Homecourt gift shop
    LOL - in March I spent over 50 bucks at the gift shop. I kept getting wierd looks and had to tell folks that I have a lot of friends - their taste in basketball teams just isn't as good as mine.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Good lord that's funny.

At least his screenname is honest.

Lithfan

Mods, please do something about Saras_Fanboy.

I don't know who he is, but sure he is not who he claims to be.

He said that he is from Lithuania but this is a lie since he has no idea about this country and its basketball.

He writes BS that sheds negative light on Saras supporters, tryes to show that they are dumb fanboys.

I'm sure that this is one of Saras haters that got additional ID and posting BS on purpose. Just check his posts.

We've got a thread just for Saras. Please use it.

If you're going to spam "Saras is great" comments into every thread, you may find them all moved to the official thread.

Assuming for just a second that you really are new here (and not just a recycled, formerly banned poster), we've had plenty of problems with overzealous Saras fanboys and we're a bit weary (and perhaps a bit trigger-shy) of this whole "Saras is great" nonsense.

Lithfan

Quote Originally Posted by Saras_Fanboy
    What's funny?

This season for Saras is a rookie season. He's the second best European after Nowitzki. He'll show it next season.
    May be you are not aware, but MODS can check your IP and find out who you really are.

edit: MODS please do something about him.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards an alias here. Self-proclaimed fanboys aren't exactly going to fit in here.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Thank you.

You play to win the game.

PERIOD!

Well for what it's worth, his IP address is located in Lithuania

Quote Originally Posted by Saras_Fanboy
    I named myself Saras_Fanboy because I've read many of you hate "Saras' fanboys". I'm going to fight those haters.
    If you are here to start a fight with anybody, you will be removed.

I will not root for us to lose in any game nor if we make the playoffs. I simply state any playoffs will only be an extension of the misery and with where this team is at mentally I don't see post-season play as having all that much upside per the traditional argument of experience. Perhaps I should present it as I won't be disappointed if we don't make the playoffs.

If I felt the team had any chance to be galvanized by a stong playoff performance, I might not take this approach. However, my strong conviction is the team needs changes so this is (hopefully) the end of the line for this particular manifestation of it. Besides, I agree with whoever says they've already mailed it in anyway. They've been mailing it in for the better part of the last month if not longer (see season record versus losing teams).

Lithfan

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Well for what it's worth, his IP address is located in Lithuania
    Nowdays changing an IP is simple. The thing is he didn't know who is Macijauskas while he is second known lithuanian bball player after Saras.

Right now Saras_Fanboy is doing everything not to be banned.
    OK, I finished corrupting this thread, sorry.