Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: OT: The Bunny implies Joakim Noah will be a bust

  1. #1
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,968

    Default OT: The Bunny implies Joakim Noah will be a bust

    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...88/1004/SPORTS

    Final Four stars aren't NBA locks
    Noah should take note of ex-UCLA standout O'Bannon

    By Mark Montieth
    mark.montieth@indystar.com

    Joakim Noah says he'll think about it in a couple of weeks.

    If he has studied the appropriate history lessons, he'll think very hard.
    The 6-11 sophomore was voted the Most Outstanding Player of the Final Four after leading Florida to the NCAA championship Monday. Before the last piece of confetti had fallen from the RCA Dome roof, pundits on deadline were declaring him ready for the NBA.

    "Any team that has the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft and doesn't take Noah, should he make himself available in the coming weeks, would be unbelievably dumb," Michael Wilbon of The Washington Post wrote.

    Noah hasn't given so much as a head-fake in either direction. Publicly, at least. Asked after Monday's game if he might leave Florida for the NBA, he asked for a deferment.

    "Right now, let us enjoy this," he said. " . . . Maybe in a couple of weeks I'll think about it."

    Oh, he'll think about it all right. The deadline for declaring for the draft is April 28. Prospects can withdraw by June 18 and return to college without penalty if they do not hire an agent. Rest assured, agents, journalists, teammates and classmates will be grabbing Noah by his ponytail to ask him about his intention.

    Logic would indicate he should go. Who could be hotter than the Most Outstanding Player on the championship team? NBA careers aren't always logical, however. Noah would only need to scan the list of previous Final Four MOPs to realize he's not guaranteed status in the NBA. Status in the draft, perhaps, but not in the league.

    Noah has obvious attributes. He's rangy, quick, fast, aggressive and fluid. His performance in Florida's championship game victory over UCLA spoke to all of those assets with 16 points, nine rebounds and a record six blocked shots. He appears to have positive intangibles as well.

    "Think of him as a 7-foot Andrei Kirilenko," suggests ESPN draft analyst Chad Ford, referring to the 6-9 Utah Jazz star.

    Noah isn't all exclamation points, however. He spreads just 227 pounds over his 83 inches. In other words, he's built almost exactly like former Pacer Jonathan Bender. At that size, a player has to have a strong perimeter game, and Noah does not. His shooting form is ungainly, and his post moves are not yet polished.

    As of now he's all energy, athleticism and potential. He might indeed turn out to be a star in the NBA, but he also might turn out to be, oh, Ed O'Bannon.

    O'Bannon was an even more obvious MOP than Noah after leading UCLA to the 1995 championship. O'Bannon scored 30 points and grabbed 17 rebounds in the title game victory over Arkansas, capping a career so impressive that when UCLA decided to retire jersey number 31 a few years ago, it retired O'Bannon's 31 rather than the 31 of Reggie Miller, who was the school's second all-time leading scorer when he graduated in 1987.
    O'Bannon was the ninth pick in the NBA draft that year. He wound up playing two seasons for New Jersey and Dallas and averaged five points. He went on to play in five countries, then retired at age 30.

    Today he's a happily adjusted salesman for a Toyota dealership in Las Vegas.

    "I guess I wasn't as good as I thought I was," he told The Los Angeles Times.

    Some players aren't. Even the Most Outstanding Players.

    Something for Noah to think about.

    Outstanding, then forgotten
    A look at how some recent Final Four Most Outstanding Players fared in the NBA.


    Call Star reporter at (317) 444-6406.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  2. #2
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,561

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: OT: The Bunny implies Joakim Noah will be a bust

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Think of him as a 7-foot Andrei Kirilenko," suggests ESPN draft analyst Chad Ford, referring to the 6-9 Utah Jazz star.
    That has to be one of the stupidiest comparisons of a player to AK-47 that I have ever heard of.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  3. #3
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,561

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: OT: The Bunny implies Joakim Noah will be a bust

    I agree with him that Noah is overrated....but its interesting to note that he didn't include who was the 1999, 2001-2004 NCAA Most Outstanding Player in the Final 4.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  4. #4
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,968

    Default Re: OT: The Bunny implies Joakim Noah will be a bust

    Okay, I'm not a big Noah fan or anything, but this article is stupid. The comparison to O'Bannon really pisses me off. How can you possibly compare a 7-footer with legit skills to a tweener like O'Bannon. And that very selective list at the end is priceless. O'Bannon I believe was selected 8th, right behind Shawn Respert. Cleaves was a late lottery pick. I believe Hurley was a first round pick, but I don't see how you can question his career after that car accident damn near killed him.

    My point? Look at what Wilbon said. This guy has a legit chance to be the #1 pick. The others listed had obvious faults in their games that made them drop. Now, is Noah gonna come in and be a superstar? Probably not, in my estimation. But I'd say at worst he'll be another Joe Smith, not a Jeff Sheppard, for god's sake.

    If Noah wants to stay in college to improve his game and enjoy campus life, then by all means he should. But with his body, skill set and work ethic, he absolutely has no reason to be afraid he'll be a bust.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  5. #5
    Member jcouts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Age
    35
    Posts
    434

    Default Re: OT: The Bunny implies Joakim Noah will be a bust

    While I'll fully admit that I only watched him play a few times this year, Noah reminded me more of a poor man's Tayshaun...very early career, very raw Tayshaun.

    The only team Noah would be a good player on right now is Phoenix.

    He should stay in school, or he'll face what Hakim Warrick is currently facing.
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

  6. #6
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,051

    Default Re: OT: The Bunny implies Joakim Noah will be a bust

    I disagree with your thread title. "The Bunny implies Joakim Noah will be a bust."

    Mark isn't implying Noah 'will' be a bust. He's implying Noah 'could' be a bust if he comes out now.

    As evidence, these statements; As of now he's all energy, athleticism and potential. He might indeed turn out to be a star in the NBA, but he also might turn out to be, oh, Ed O'Bannon.

    Noah isn't all exclamation points, however. He spreads just 227 pounds over his 83 inches. In other words, he's built almost exactly like former Pacer Jonathan Bender. At that size, a player has to have a strong perimeter game, and Noah does not. His shooting form is ungainly, and his post moves are not yet polished.

  7. #7
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,968

    Default Re: OT: The Bunny implies Joakim Noah will be a bust

    Will, when he compares him to Jonathan Bender and puts up a chart of only MOP's that absolutely bombed in the NBA, I think the article is slanted. I don't think there's a lot of people running around saying that Noah will be a stud simply because he was MOP.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  8. #8
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: OT: The Bunny implies Joakim Noah will be a bust

    It doesn't matter. If you have a chance to go #1, you go.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  9. #9

    Default Re: OT: The Bunny implies Joakim Noah will be a bust

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It doesn't matter. If you have a chance to go #1, you go.
    If you really like being in college, and your Dad is a millionaire ex-tennis star and reggae singer, and you have never needed any money anyway since you have all you can spend, you MIGHT just stay where you can have the most fun.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  10. #10
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,481

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: OT: The Bunny implies Joakim Noah will be a bust

    He is staying, as is everyone else not a senior.

    http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/5483236

    Posted: 28 minutes ago



    GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) - Florida celebrated its first national basketball championship with a stunning announcement Friday night.

    Everyone, aside from senior Adrian Moss, is coming back for another title run.
    Joakim Noah, Al Horford and Corey Brewer - three sophomores who had been projected as first-round NBA draft picks this summer - disclosed in a choreographed skit that they will return for another season.

    "We're back baby," Noah screamed into a microphone during the team's hourlong celebration at a packed O'Connell Center.

    Coach Billy Donovan confirmed the news, saying he met with the three players Friday afternoon and they told him they wanted to try to repeat.

    No team has won consecutive championships since Duke in 1991 and 1992.

    The Gators want to give it a shot.

    Horford started the production by saying the three had pretty much done everything they could in two years, winning two Southeastern Conference tournament titles and then beating UCLA 73-57 in the championship game Monday night.

    But Noah grabbed the microphone in mid-sentence and asked the crowd, "You want us to play here next year?"

    The fans responded with chants of "two more years, two more years."

    The Gators didn't commit to anything more than one more season. But for Donovan and Florida's faithful, that was more than anyone was expecting.

    "I had a chance to talk to those guys, and that's what they want to do," Donovan said. "I think they're having a lot of fun here. They're a different type of kids. I think it's all about them getting themselves prepared to make the next step, and I think right now they're not prepared to do that. They want to be here. They want to play.

    "They want to stay together as a group and they want to play together as a team."

  11. #11

    Default Re: OT: The Bunny implies Joakim Noah will be a bust

    If he goes to the NBA draft and gets picked say 3rd. He signs a contract for approx 4 million a year over 4 years. If that doesn't make him financially secure for the rest of his life then he's not very smart either. He should go while his stock is at its highest and he's injury free. If he is a bust, he's got 16 million reasons to smile about. He could go back to Florida finish his education and do something else. Its true he's not that strong but he has unbelievably quick hands and feet. He should thank his tennis playing Dad for the good genes. I said 3rd because the only 2 players that could be picked ahead of him are Reddick and Morrison.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

  12. #12
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: OT: The Bunny implies Joakim Noah will be a bust

    Quote Originally Posted by aceace
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he goes to the NBA draft and gets picked say 3rd. He signs a contract for approx 4 million a year over 4 years. If that doesn't make him financially secure for the rest of his life then he's not very smart either. He should go while his stock is at its highest and he's injury free. If he is a bust, he's got 16 million reasons to smile about. He could go back to Florida finish his education and do something else. Its true he's not that strong but he has unbelievably quick hands and feet. He should thank his tennis playing Dad for the good genes. I said 3rd because the only 2 players that could be picked ahead of him are Reddick and Morrison.
    I think Gay and Aldrige go one-two. I don't know about Morrison b/c he has some considerable flaws. Still a clear-cut lottery pick though. Probably a high lottery pick. Redick will fall. He is an undersized, non-athletic SG that thrived in a certain system and always choked in the tournament. I don't think GMs are too high on him. I just hope he has a Granger like fall to us.

  13. #13
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: OT: The Bunny implies Joakim Noah will be a bust

    As usual I just scanned the article. When I got to the part where he named Bobby Hurley and failed to mention that during his rookie season with the Kings the man damn near DIED in a car accident I have no use whatsoever in that article.

  14. #14
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,803

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: OT: The Bunny implies Joakim Noah will be a bust

    Nobody was even talking about Noah until the Gators won the title. He's definitely not (yet?) NBA material. But his stock may never be higher than it is right now.

  15. #15
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: OT: The Bunny implies Joakim Noah will be a bust

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nobody was even talking about Noah until the Gators won the title. He's definitely not (yet?) NBA material. But his stock may never be higher than it is right now.
    They were too talking about him. His dad is famous and his mother was a model.

    Of course most of you are too young to ever have heard of Yannik Noah, but I certainly remember him.

  16. #16
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,803

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: OT: The Bunny implies Joakim Noah will be a bust

    Quote Originally Posted by grace
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They were too talking about him. His dad is famous and his mother was a model.

    Of course most of you are too young to ever have heard of Yannik Noah, but I certainly remember him.
    All I heard was "Redick! Morrison! Redick! Morrison!"

    I never even heard of Noah until the Final Four.

  17. #17
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: OT: The Bunny implies Joakim Noah will be a bust

    Well, either he's the best kept secret or he's riding on his father's coat tails. We'll just have to wait to find out which it is.

  18. #18
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,968

    Default Re: OT: The Bunny implies Joakim Noah will be a bust

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All I heard was "Redick! Morrison! Redick! Morrison!"

    I never even heard of Noah until the Final Four.
    Really? I watched zero college basketball this year, and I heard of him before then.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  19. #19
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,069
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: OT: The Bunny implies Joakim Noah will be a bust

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All I heard was "Redick! Morrison! Redick! Morrison!"

    I never even heard of Noah until the Final Four.
    Then obviously, you did not watch much college basketball up until the Final Four.

    Noah's name has been around for the entire year...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •