Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Official Magic Number Thread

Default The Official Magic Number Thread

Well, it's getting close to the end of the season. Time to finally start up the magic number thread.

Cleveland is out of reach at the 4 spot, but Washington's still a possibility at 5. Of course, so is Philly at 9. So let's see how it breaks out. This is as of April 7 before today's games.

5. Washington (39-35) - 12
    6. Milwaukee (37-38) - 9
    7. Indiana (36-38)
    8. Chicago (35-40) - 7
    9. Philadelphia (34-40) - 7

I haven't factored in tiebreakers yet (I'll start doing that with 5 games left), but unless we play like total crap (even worse than we have been) it will be hard to drop down below the seventh seed. We've got a very good chance to take the #6 seed. Moving up to #5 will be hard unless Washington totally tanks it.

I'll keep this updated from now on.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: The Official Magic Number Thread

P.S. If you wanna start looking at tiebreakers, here's the rules:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/7164305
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Thanks for starting this.

Could you tell us how it works again? How is the number computed - I'm pretty sure it has something to do with wins vs. losses.

HulkSmash!

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for starting this.

Could you tell us how it works again? How is the number computed - I'm pretty sure it has something to do with wins vs. losses.
    Nah, has nothing to do with wins and losses.......

Sorry. I didn't explain. Magic number is a technique used to gauge the playoff race. For example, our magic number to move past the Bucks into the six spot is 9... that means any combination of Bucks losses or Pacers wins that adds up to 9 means we get the spot. If we can win 6 of our last 8, and Milwaukee loses 3, then we get the 6 spot.

We could maybe make it with only 5 Pacer wins and 3 Pacer losses, depending on tiebreakers. We've tied the season series against each other (the first tiebreaker) and I haven't done the math on the rest yet (since they can still change depending on conference record, etc). For now, we'll stick with the tiebreaker that lets us win the spot outright.

Computation's easy. If Milwaukee wins the rest of their games, how many wins do we need to beat them? The answer is 9, which is bad when we only have 8 games left. Of course, I don't think they'll win the rest of their games.

Enjoy your time at PD!

You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

One thing we know for sure... the Pacers' magic number is not 11/19

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Blech. If we had pulled this game out it would have been a good night for us.

5. Washington lost... magic number down to 11.
    6. Milwaukee lost... magic number down to 8.
    7. Indiana lost.
    8. Chicago didn't play... magic number still at 7.
    9. Philadelphia lost... magic number down to 6.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

I thought Chicago MADE Philly lose tonight, Anthem?

I'm confused, I thought Sixers lost to the Celts tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I thought Chicago MADE Philly lose tonight, Anthem?
    What? Am I watching the wrong scores? I've got Boston beating Philly.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Maybe I heard wrong on WB4; I thought Al said Chicago beat them tonight. Oh well.

Horrible, all those teams lose and we cant beat the Knicks. This would have been a huge win. And now we got to go and play the best team in the NBA on their home court, you can pretty much tack on another L to our record.

^ saranus can't shoot.
    2 stay on topic, i could see us dropping to 8, or hell even 9. we just aren't impressive.
    1 - 2, Tinsley's coming for you.
    3 - 4, You're not a team no more.
    5 - 6, He's gonna plead the 5th.
    7 - 8, He's gonna stay out late.

Man, how many years has it been since we were in a position where we needed to talk about "magic" numbers...??? Has it been so long as the season that we don't talk about?
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

I have a feeling this is going to become the new "season we don't talk about".
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman
    Man, how many years has it been since we were in a position where we needed to talk about "magic" numbers...???
    We do a magic number thread every year at about this time.

2005: http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=10703
    2004: http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1620

Man, this thread is depressing:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1080

Enjoy your time at PD!

I guess I should restate - how often do we really sincerely worry about getting that magic number...???

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    A little somebody has been reading a certain little hitchhiker's guidey to the galaxy.

Well, another good night for us. If we can win tomorrow, we might be in really good shape.

As of Saturday, April 8:

Washington lost... magic number down to 10.
    Milwaukee didn't play... magic number stays at 8.
    Chicago lost... magic number down to 6.
    Philadelphia won... magic number stays at 6.

Seven games to go.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    Well, another good night for us. If we can win tomorrow, we might be in really good shape.

As of Saturday, April 8:

Washington lost... magic number down to 10.
    Milwaukee didn't play... magic number stays at 8.
    Chicago lost... magic number down to 6.
    Philadelphia won... magic number stays at 6.

Seven games to go.
    But, winning tommorow will be a tough task.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Well, that hurt. We really need a win tomorrow.

As of Sunday, April 9:

Washington didn't play... magic number stays at 10.
    Milwaukee lost... magic number drops to 7.
    Chicago didn't play... magic number stays at 6.
    Philadelphia didn't play... magic number stays at 6.

Six games to go.

Enjoy your time at PD!

This is getting interesting. Last night:

Washington lost... magic number drops to 8.
    Milwaukee didn't play... magic number drops to 6.
    Philadelphia won... magic number drops to 5. (moves into playoffs)
    Chicago didn't play... magic number drops to 5. (drops out of top 8)

5 games left, all winnable. The #6 spot is still within our grasp. And the two teams ahead of us (Milwaukee and Washington) still have two games against each other.

Enjoy your time at PD!

5 games left, time to start looking at tiebreakers.

First tiebreaker is head-to-head record.
    - vs. Washington: tied, 2-2
    - vs. Milwaukee: tied, 2-2
    - vs. Philly: we win, 2-1. Philly's magic number goes down by 1.
    - vs. Chicago: tied, 2-2

Second tiebreaker: conference percentage (43.75%)
    - vs. Washington (55%), they win, magic number stays the same.
    - vs. Milwaukee (55%), they win, magic number stays the same.
    - vs. Chicago (52%), they win, magic number stays the same.

Sucks to be us.

So the only change is w/ Philly.

Washington lost... magic number drops to 8.
    Milwaukee didn't play... magic number drops to 6.
    Philadelphia won... magic number drops to 4. (moves into playoffs)
    Chicago didn't play... magic number drops to 5. (drops out of top 8)

Enjoy your time at PD!

A good night tonight. We won, so everybody goes down by one. But on top of that:

Washington lost... magic number drops to 6.
    Milwaukee won... magic number drops to 5.
    Philadelphia won... magic number drops to 3.
    Chicago won... magic number drops to 4.

Four games left and an easy schedule. The 6 spot is still within our grasp.

Enjoy your time at PD!