Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: So, should this be a factor in building our team?

  1. #1
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,391

    Default So, should this be a factor in building our team?

    http://commissioner.rotoworld.com/content/story.asp?sport=NBA&storyid=20794


    Top 10 most injury prone NBA players


    1. Marcus Camby

    Camby has never played more than 72 games in any season, and that was his flukey year of 2003-04. Outside of that, his season game totals look more like Kobe Bryantís nightly scoring totals than anything else. Here they are in order, starting with 1996-97 and ending with this current, unfinished season: 63, 63, 46, 59, 63, 29, 29, 72, 66, 49. Camby has the reputation of being injury prone, is injury prone, and owners who draft him should never be allowed to complain about him missing games for them. That said, when heís healthy and playing well, heís as good a fantasy player as there is. Heís a much safer pick in daily transaction leagues than he is in weeklies, as you can get him outta there in a momentís notice before he inflicts too much damage on your team.

    2. Jamaal Tinsley

    What!? Baron Davis isnít second on this list? It was a tough call here, but I went with Tinsley because I believe he burns his owners a little worse than Diddy does. Tinsleyís injuries are usually sneaky and mysterious, and you can think everything is fine, setting your team on cruise control and then Boom! You have him in your lineup for four games in a week, but heís not going to play in any of them with a toe, shoulder, elbow, knee, sinus, whatever problem. Hereís the list over the past three years: 52, 40, 38. Thereís no rhyme or reason to his injury history and you seriously never know when heíll go down again. He truly fits the definition of injury prone. Iíll probably get no argument from his owners here, but may get one from the owners of Davis.


    3. Baron Davis

    Unlike with Tinsley, Davis owners know what theyíre getting. A stud that canít shoot free throws and who will go down with a serious injury at some point in the season. This year I really thought he had a shot at making it through most of the season, and he tried his best. But weíve likely seen the last of him this season, as he hasnít played due to an ankle injury since the middle of March. He missed seven games, came back too early, and then shut it down (probably for the rest of the year) a couple weeks ago. He had a hamstring injury early in the year, but was somehow able to play through it the first half of the year. Here are the games played, year-by-year, starting in 1999-00: 82, 82, 82 (man, things were off to such a great start!), 50, 67, 46, 54. You add in the fact that his shooting is usually below 40% and his 3-point percentage was just 31.5% this year, and you wonít see the same owner taking Davis a second time. Fool me onceÖ

    4. Larry Hughes

    You could make the argument that Larry Hughes should be No. 1 on this list, and youíll see why when you read his season totals. He missed most of this year with a finger injury, and it remains to be seen what ailment will keep him out next year. Past injuries have included everything from fingers, thumbs, elbows, wrists, ankles, knees and a few Iím forgetting. He just doesnít hurt himself either, but usually breaks things. His finger injury this year cost him most of the season, a broken thumb got him last year and before that it was a broken wrist. If you choose to draft or trade for Hughes, youíre asking for trouble. Here are the numbers: 50, 50, 32, 82, 50, 73, 67, 16, 61, 28. Yuck.

    5. Jermaine OíNeal

    Whether itís a back, a knee, a foot, a groin or a shoulder, OíNealís owners havenít slept very well over the past couple years. His games-missed numbers early in his career werenít to disturbing, but then again, he didnít really start playing real minutes until he got to the Pacers in 2000. Here are the games since then: 81, 72, 77, 78, 44, 41. He served a 10-game suspension last season for the brawl, but it seems appropriate to use the word ďchronicĒ in association with his shoulder, knee and foot problems, and we may be able to add his groin to that list after this season. Looky there, I used the word chronic in an NBA column and it had nothing to do with smoking weed. OíNeal is still just 27 years old, but it seems like heís much older with his list of ailments.

    6. Corey Maggette

    Maggette is a tricky guy to put on this list. Most people donít look at him and think heís an injury risk, or at least they didnít until this year. But when looking at the numbers, he always misses several games with minor ankle problems among other things. Of course, a pretty serious foot injury shut him down for most of this season, but letís take a look at the numbers: 77, 69, 63, 64, 73, 66, 28. This year is going to make it five of the last six years that heís played 69 games or less, and he missed nine games in 2003-04 for his best injury season since his rookie year. Maggette is a stud when he plays, but the numbers indicate that his injury risk probably levels out his value. Let someone else deal with it next year.

    7. Kenyon Martin

    K-Martís knee problem doesnít appear to be going away, and itís possible that it could actually cut his career short. Then again, he could bounce back next year and play a full season. Either way, heís a risky pick, and while his games-missed numbers arenít as shocking as some of the other guys on this list, heís an easy target right now: 68, 73, 77, 65, 70, 53. Heís likely to fall in fantasy drafts next year, and could be a nice sleeper pick in the middle rounds, but thatís not why the Nuggets paid him all that money.

    8. Gerald Wallace

    Man, if you own Gerald Wallace, you probably love him or hate him. If youíre like my reader Tim R., you are pretty irate at Wallace right now. Tim, like many other Wallace owners, struggled to play Wallace at the right times this year. I own him as well, and Iíve had mixed results, but I usually just keep him in my lineup and pray that heíll make it through the week. If you had him in your lineup when he was on this year, you were rewarded with monster games, and great numbers in the steals, blocks, scoring and rebounding categories. But based on when his injuries seemed to fall, thereís a good chance you had him on your bench for most of his big games, which is extremely frustrating, and part of the breaks when you play fantasy hoops. Itís similar to playing the ďgames playedĒ game each week, where you might gamble on a mediocre player who has a lot of games. Half the time, you get burned doing this, while the other half, you look like a genius. Here are Wallaceís games-played numbers: 54, 47, 37, 70, 49. If he ever puts a full season together, look out. Just keep in mind, they donít call him ďCrashĒ for nothing. He puts his body on the line every night with his borderline out-of-control style, and the injuries are almost sure to follow. However, when he plays, heís a top 15 player in the league. Heíll likely go in the second or third round of drafts next year, but thereís a ton of risk involved with taking him that high.

    9. Kobe Bryant

    It seems like Kobe has struggled with one or two ankle injuries each season, but has come through the current year in pretty good shape. Here are his numbers: 71, 79, 50, 66, 68, 80, 82, 65, 66, 73. Heís on pace to play in 80 games this year, and while heís just as likely to play 65 games as he is to play 80 each year, heís certainly worth the risk. Just ask an owner who had him in their lineup for the 81-point game this year.

    10. Tracy McGrady

    T-Mac is done for the year with a back injury, and it has to be a concern going forward when draft day rolls around. Here are the numbers: 64, 49, 79, 77, 76, 75, 67, 78, 47. Itís tough to call a guy with these numbers injury prone, but based on his bad back, I think he qualifies at this point, especially given the fact heís a first-round pick in fantasy leagues. Had he not gone down with the back injury this year, he would not be anywhere near this list, but I feel justified by including him based on the nature of his injury.


    *******************

    As part of management's, I wonder how much of a factor injury history comes into play? We're the only team on that list not only with two players on it, but two players their franchise is being built around. I thought it was an interesting take on things.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

  2. #2
    HulkSmash!
    Guest

    Default Re: So, should this be a factor in building our team?

    Actually the Nuggets have Marcus Camby (#1) and Kenyon Martin (#7).

  3. #3
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,616

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, should this be a factor in building our team?

    Yes.....injury concerns should be a factor. Injury prone players....whether it is their fault ( supposedly due to "sinus infections" ) or not ( because the said player somehow injures himself driving towards the hoop while running into a wall of huge players ) is something that we have to avoid.

    Although it doesn't really change who is on the list......it sounds like the list is built off of a "fantasy-basketball" perspective.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  4. #4
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, should this be a factor in building our team?

    Oh and lets not forget Bender. He'd reign supreme if he were still in the league.

    At this point I almost feel like Donny has admitted his mistakes by stating he just fell in love with talent. I'll give him this summer to start righting some wrongs with this team.

    And there are a hell of a lot of wrongs.
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  5. #5
    Member themind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lithuania
    Age
    29
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: So, should this be a factor in building our team?

    Quote Originally Posted by HulkSmash!
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually the Nuggets have Marcus Camby (#1) and Kenyon Martin (#7).
    Is it worse than #2 and #5..?

  6. #6
    HulkSmash!
    Guest

    Default Re: So, should this be a factor in building our team?

    Quote Originally Posted by themind
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it worse than #2 and #5..?
    I didn't quite relieze there was a competition going on.....

  7. #7
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: So, should this be a factor in building our team?

    Where's Grant Hill?

  8. #8
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,941

    Default Re: So, should this be a factor in building our team?

    Quote Originally Posted by themind
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it worse than #2 and #5..?
    Does it matter? Suffice it to say it ain't good. I like the guy's saying how JO plays/looks way older than 27. Some of that's likely due to the well-discussed "bulk-up" prior to last year.

    However, looks to me like his athleticism even beyond that has just deteriorated exponentially the last 2 or 3 years. Don't other guys in the league get pounded, too?

    Just bad luck I suppose, but JO doesn't even physically remind me of the same player as when he arrived here.

  9. #9
    HulkSmash!
    Guest

    Default Re: So, should this be a factor in building our team?

    JO is injury pron because he's too much of a gym rat. Tinsleys injury prone because he's too little of a gym rat. If we could just balance it out somehow.

  10. #10
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: So, should this be a factor in building our team?

    Of course it should be a factor. I've always said I don't want T-Mac because of his back spasms. And as for Marcas Camby if he played for the Pacers he wouldn't even make it out of training camp before he had a major injury.

  11. #11
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: So, should this be a factor in building our team?

    But we're deep!
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  12. #12
    - .-- ... ... Natston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Timbuktupolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,318
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, should this be a factor in building our team?

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But we're deep!
    Deep in what?
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)


    Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

  13. #13
    Banned PacerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,132

    Default Re: So, should this be a factor in building our team?

    Quote Originally Posted by HulkSmash!
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JO is injury pron because he's too much of a gym rat. Tinsleys injury prone because he's too little of a gym rat. If we could just balance it out somehow.

    Based on what?? I hate these random putdowns of players with no proof.
    You don't handle the ball like Tins without LOTS of gym time.

  14. #14
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,065

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, should this be a factor in building our team?

    You can go to the NYC playgrounds and find 20 guys that handle the ball like Tinsley.

    Dribbling the ball all the time doesnt mean your conditioning is right.

    Tinsley has always looked out-of-shape, at least to me.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  15. #15
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,602

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, should this be a factor in building our team?

    So, you're saying we should go after the rest of the guys on this list?
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  16. #16
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: So, should this be a factor in building our team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tinsley has always looked out-of-shape, at least to me.
    Not always. He usually looks great coming into camp.

    Then he breaks his foot and can't exercise for 2 months. And when he comes back he's gained 20 pounds.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  17. #17
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,078

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So, should this be a factor in building our team?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Based on what?? I hate these random putdowns of players with no proof.
    You don't handle the ball like Tins without LOTS of gym time.

    Dribbling doesn't take gym time. I used to dribble in my freaking kitchen, and it's far from a gym.

    Dribbling is hand-eye coordination, along with great fingertip control. Both of which you can develop without being properly conditioned, toned, nutritioned, or hydrated.

    One of the best dribbling drills I do takes place sitting down.
    ďJust because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.Ē ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  18. #18
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: So, should this be a factor in building our team?

    To answer the original question.

    Abso-#$!@#$ing-lutey.


    We are so inconsistant about who might play on a given night it's almost comical. No wonder we can't get consistant play on the floor - nobody knows who else might be out there at a given time.

    You can see the hesitation on offense and on defense as people try to figure out what they are supposed to do. How to run a play... How to switch on a particular pick... When and where to rotate on help defense...


    And after a while, the frustration builds and they just don't care anymore. Then the coach gives up too, because he's out of ideas and sick of it all. Then the crowd turns surly. Flame-fests erupt on the Digest as we look for someone to blame for this sorry train wreck that our beloved franchise has become. And so, here we are.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  19. #19
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,629

    Default Re: So, should this be a factor in building our team?

    Oh, didn't I read where TPTB don't consider either Tinsley or JO injury prone.?
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  20. #20
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,099

    Default Re: So, should this be a factor in building our team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh, didn't I read where TPTB don't consider either Tinsley or JO injury prone.?

    Bird did say something about Tinsley... I think it was something like:
    "I don't know that you'd call him injury prone. The injuries have all been freakish things like getting his elbow stepped on"

    That's as close as I can remember it....

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  21. #21
    DeAthrow
    Guest

    Default Re: So, should this be a factor in building our team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where's Grant Hill?
    He should be crowned as the most injury prone player.

  22. #22
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,099

    Default Re: So, should this be a factor in building our team?

    Quote Originally Posted by DeAthrow
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He should be crowned as the most injury prone player.

    The crown was retired with Jon Bender.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •